USB Precise suddenly started booting to CLI

Booting, installing, newbie
Chromium

USB Precise suddenly started booting to CLI

#1 Post by Chromium »

I have been using Puppy Precise Retro from a USB flash drive for many months with a lot of success. And enjoyment!!

Suddenly when I boot normally it gives me the CLI with a prompt instead of the normal desktop.

What do I do to start Puppy normally??

What did I do wrong to cause the problem??

How can I fix it??

TIA

Alan

ardvark

Re: Startup problem

#2 Post by ardvark »

Chromium wrote:I have been using Puppy Precise Retro from a USB flash drive for many months with a lot of success. And enjoyment!!

Suddenly when I boot normally it gives me the CLI with a prompt instead of the normal desktop.

What do I do to start Puppy normally??

What did I do wrong to cause the problem??

How can I fix it??
Hi Alan...

It might be an issue with your video setup or some other setting. Did you install, uninstall or change anything on your system immediately prior to this?

Also, do you know what your video chipset is, by any chance?

Thanks! :)
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

Chromium

#3 Post by Chromium »

Thanks for your reply.

There has been no change to my setup.

I am using an Acer Aspire 5750 notebook and the video chipset is "Intel® HD Graphics 3000 with 128 MB of dedicated system memory"

The Puppy flash drive has also worked without problems on an HP All-in-One 200-5220a computer and on a couple of old computers all with different hardware.

The last thing I did in Puppy was to use Puppy Packet Manager to install "p7zip-full" and all was working OK then.

Thanks for your help

Alan

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

save file's corrupt....

have you tried running

exec xwin

and if that fails

xorgwizard

folowed by

exec xwin

...interested...how well does that video card work when it does...does 3d work? just for my own information

Chromium

#5 Post by Chromium »

Thanks for the reply.

I tried exec xwin and got into the desktop OK. But it went back to the CLI when I rebooted.

I then tried xorgwizard and then exec xwin again which was OK until I rebooted.

I ran PPM Configure Update to see if this helps.

The video card works well - good resolution at 1366 * 768 but I have not tried 3D graphics. I mainly use the Puppy USB drive to demonstrate to people how wonderful Linux is compared to the decaying and despicable operating system that is found on the majority of computers. I have made quite a few converts. :)

Is there any way I can correct the save file?? I have tried clicking on the Save button but I still get the problem.

Thanks again

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

hmm ok sounds like corruption in the save file...while you are in a session the ramdisk takes priority which is probably why it works until a reboot when the save file comes back into play.

pfix=fsck added at boot (puppy pfix=fsck) is supposed to run a file system check on the save...it may clear the problem.
Its is possibly due to the /etc/.xloaded flag file being stuck...a common problem

give that a whirl.

A fresh save file is another option but i assume you probably don't want to do that if possible.

mike

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

The save file has settings stored in it that are specific to the hardware it was originally made on.
Using the USB drive and the same save file, on different computers, could cause these settings to change.

Graphics hardware settings are what I suspect got messed up.

Running Xorgwizard and making sure the intel driver is used should get it working.

However, not if save file got corrupted. It would not save correctly.

In the future, when using on other computers, Boot using boot option:

puppy pfix=ram

At the boot screen
hit F2
That brings up the boot option screen.
Enter puppy pfix=ram

This keeps the save file from being used. Puppy does a better search for hardware and setup settings, because it has to figure out what the hardware is. It does not have a save file with the settings already figured out.

You have been lucky that the save file stored settings worked on several different computers.
Sometimes they will sometimes no way.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)