Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
EdD

#2781 Post by EdD »

[quote="playdayz"
Just ignore me if I am off the point, but I have a HD 3850 that works with the ATI driver in Quickpet with Lucid 5.2.8 all versions (2.6.33.2 kernel). Ibiblio is horrible, and to make it worse some of the ibiblio mirrors seem screwed up to me--they serve bad copies. You might try using the built-in radeon driver and just adding Xorg-High (which is glx and a faster download). That is the open source solution. The open source drivers do not depend on the kernel version so it may work with whatever lupu you are using. In general they might not be quite as fast but they should provide acceleration (hardware-based direct rendering). Personally I use the open-source drivers.
.[/quote]

Not off the point at all, I'm glad for your input. I'm going to d/l that X-org High driver, as I've done a fresh frugal install of sulu 2 on another machine with ATI controller of similar vintage as my Dell. The bad experience with the ibiblio d/l notwithstanding, I love using Lucid.

I'm running 3Headed Dog right now, posting this. That's a great version, and a big jump forward for lucid on my newer machines. You've contributed mightily to my computing experience, playdayz.

Many thanks,
Ed
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

EdD

#2782 Post by EdD »

peebee wrote:
This may be a web browser issue - it happens to me if I download using a web browser but if instead I copy the download link into Pwsget secure file downloader then it downloads correctly.
Good point, that. In my case I also think it's a service provider issue. I've been using Hughesnet satellite "broadband" for several years, and have had so many wasted CDs with bad downloads burned to them and so many frustrations with corrupted files on ISOs that I just switched to Verizon wireless BB. I see a significant difference in download times already, and am about to download a few ISOs to see how much better performance may be.

Having my bandwidth allowance run out during a download has ruined more than a few ISO downloads while using Hughesnet.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

mikeb

#2783 Post by mikeb »

Ok pinned down the ibiblio problem and its one that has appeared elsewhere on here.

Basically the pets are being ungzipped by the browser...hence the increase in size so its some kind of mime/magic mime problem (I find the latter a pain in the neck) ...rename the pet to tar and voila all is intact.

mike

keniv

#2784 Post by keniv »

rerwin (Richard)

A few post back now I said I would burn the 5286 iso to cd, boot from this and see if I could shutdown and make a savefile on a Dell laptop. The only changes I made before shutdown was to setup personal settings and wifi/firewall. I was able to make a savefile and put this and the sfs on the hdd. I booted again from the cd added a browser, flash and video driver then shutdown and rebooted. All OK. I then copied the savefile to the 5286 folder on my bootable flash drive. I deleted the savefile and sfs from hdd. I then booted 5286 from the flash drive and was given the option of booting from both the original savefile and the one I made from the Dell. Booted the Dell one and all OK. I loaded this up with the pets I use. Also tried loading and unloading a couple of sfs and again all worked. I am still concerned about what you said about booting multiple pups from a flash drive. I also have a similar setup on the hdd of my old Toshiba laptop. I think this might be quite common especially booting a number of pups with XP. So far I have not seen any problems. I be interested to know if others have.

Thanks again,

Ken.

rerwin

#2785 Post by rerwin »

keniv,
I need to refine my statement regarding "multiple pups". The important point is that the problem arises if you have multiple puppy main files of the same name.

Since I work almost exclusively on lucid pup these days, the main file name is "lupu_528" or "sulu_00*". I must be careful to have only one of each on my HDDs, unless I want to boot the copy on a CD, where I need either no other similarly named main files or to boot with "pfix=ram".

So, my concern was that you might have multiple puppies of the same main-file name on your system somewhere.
Richard

keniv

#2786 Post by keniv »

rerwin

I have three pups on the flash drive. One is slacko but the other two are both versions of lupu. One is the original 528 updated to 528.002 and the other is your latest 5286. Both sfs files have the same name. I also have something similar on the hdd of my old laptop except it also has a version of 520 and a little used version of XP. I have not noticed any problems. I suspect I could tidy this up but I do have some admittedly weak reasons for keeping them all.

Regards,

Ken.

rerwin

#2787 Post by rerwin »

Ken,
The only conflict I sense is between 528.002 and 5.2.8.6. Temporarily rename the 528.002 lupu_528.sfs to, say, Xlupu_528.sfs, to be sure you are using 5.2.8.6 on subsequent boots.
R

bigpup

#2788 Post by bigpup »

Lupu3hd5286

Using Burniso2cd

Burned a Slacko64 iso to a CD.
Choose to make it a multi-session burn.

Checked the CD and it was burned closed.

Seems the option to burn multi-session is not working in Burniso2cd.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

OscarTalks

#2789 Post by OscarTalks »

bigpup,

I wonder if this is being caused by the cdrtools package. In the original Lucid (and other Pups without cdrtools), the file cdrecord is a symlink to wodim. Installation of cdrtools overwrites this symlink with a real file. The options look as though they are the same and should still work.

As an experiment, since wodim is still present in the system I wonder if you could edit the burniso2cd script (in /usr/sbin). Near the start it has the line:-

Code: Select all

CDRECORD='cdrecord'
Try changing this to:-

Code: Select all

CDRECORD='wodim'
and see if the multi-session burn works like that.
I am no expert so if anyone has any other ideas feel free to chime in.
Oscar in England

nooby

#2790 Post by nooby »

I trust it is my fault but I fail to find download
for the lupu 5.2.8.6 ISO failes. I found the pet and sfl file and could download one of them So a link would be cool to have.

Yes I have looked at first page :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gcmartin

#2791 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Nooby
@Rerwin is the maintainer of the latest PUPPY, here. As such, the ONLY person who can update the opening post of this thread for updates is @Playdayz. It is going to need @Playdayz to keep this thread accurately showing where the downloads are. So far, though, you and others will have to constantly hunt to find current PUPPY(s) of this distro.

Hope this provides some understanding.

nooby

#2792 Post by nooby »

Thanks GC Martin
Yes that was helpful.

I did a hunt and managed to find how
to download from Shinobar instead of Rerwin.

I will test if it worked out food soon.

rerwin

#2793 Post by rerwin »

nooby,
The first page of this thread begins with
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 AUG 17 2011
Version 005 released APR 05 2012
Version 5.2.8.6 released NOV 25 2013

The version in this thread (5.2.8-005) is the last version of Lucid Puppy coordinated by playdayz. Forum member rerwin has prepared an updated version named Lucid 5.2.8.6, which contains numerous updates, including the Puppy programs such as Pmusic, Pburn, and PupControl, etc., along with advances in hardware detection and drivers, as well as many updates in the basic infrastructure of all Puppies that have been introduced since the last version of Lucid. There are download links plus links to complete descriptions of the changes at the new page for Lucid 5.2.8.6. -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
That link goes to the first page of the 5.2.8.6 thread. That page contains all of the links to the downloads for 5.2.8.6. Please use the versions from there, because the mirrors may not be keeping synchronized (although there have been no changes for about a month).

I see that shinobar's lupus are up to date, but the lupusupers are not. I recommend lupusuper2, to get the optimal configuration.
Richard

nooby

#2794 Post by nooby »

Thanks Rerwin that worked well will test the latest iso now.

Pelo

video francophone (frenchy) about Lazy-FReD

#2795 Post by Pelo »

video francophone (frenchy) about Lazy-FReD
CLICKez
Attachments
setup.jpg
(75.75 KiB) Downloaded 472 times

kenh

Dropbox

#2796 Post by kenh »

So far, Dropbox is the only application I miss in this Puppy. I tried to add a Dropbox pet but it didn't show up in the menu. I suppose it would have to be compiled for this version? I've also used Droper with another Puppy, but that version no longer works. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Btw, putting the lock icon in the bottom right corner, as suggested to someone else, solved the problem I had with icons not staying put. Thanks.

Semme

#2797 Post by Semme »

rerwin

Beta version of next 5.2.8.6 uploaded for regression testing

#2798 Post by rerwin »

lupu-5.2.8.6 users,
The next set of 5.2.8.6 uploads includes modifications to several networking tools. Before releasing the full set of lupu/sulus, I ask those of you using frisbee, pgprs, pppoe, gpptp or pupdial to verify that they continue to operate as you expect.

Frisbee (1.2) now supports pppoe and mobile wireless, in a way that is integrated with those tools. It also now supports static IP addresses and connects wireless more reliably at bootup, thanks to work by npierce, and unblocks wireless interfaces (as does SNS), thanks to peebee. More details on the new frisbee are here:

I discovered the virtual private network interface, gpptp, by jafadmin and have upgraded to the version used in precise pup and beyond, after receiving some guidance from him. I am considering adding to frisbee a new tab for "Virtual Networks" that would provide a way to fine-tune the gpptp configuration, as well as contain a button to start gpptp. I would very much like to hear from any of you who use a VPN, to get your assessment of gpptp and openvpn, to determine whether it would be worthwhile to add gpptp but not interfere with openvpn.

For now, I have uploaded only a beta version of the basic lupu, 20140309-beta:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lbzb6 ... 9-beta.iso Obsolete - use released versions:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 433#766433

UPDATE 3/13/2014: Now also uploaded, lupusuper2, 20140309-beta:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jslf3 ... 9-beta.iso Obsolete - use released versions

UPDATE 3/24/2014: Deactivated the links to the betas, now superseded by released versions.

The details of the new changes are at the end of the history message:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

Thank you for any testing help you can provide.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

Disk Images 20140321 Uploaded for General Use

#2799 Post by rerwin »

The following disk images are being uploaded:
  • lupu-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
    lupumini-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
    lupuplus-5.2.8.6-4.1.5-20140321.iso
    lupusuper2-5.2.8.6-k3.2.48-20140321.iso
    lupusuper2plus-5.2.8.6-k3.2.48-20140321.iso
    lupusuper4-5.2.8.6-k3.9.9-20140321.iso
The new ISO files are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

The updated content history is at the end of the first posting on page 158:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

The notable addition since the beta versions is an updated HP printer database for CUPS, hpliplite. The other additions are uppdates from shinobar.

Unless some mistake is uncovered by users of these latest disk images/ISO files, I expect this to be the last update until we discover something that "needs" to be added, except that I will add the final version of libreoffice 4.1 (4.1.6) when it is released in May, affecting only the "plus" and "libre" versions.

My preference is to focus on the main/original lupu ISOs and the super2 and super4 ISOs, as they are based on ubuntu kernels and seem to be the most popular. I am open to continuing any of the others, but encourage users to migrate to lupu, sulu2 or sulu4. Please let me know if there remain situations that are not adequately handled by them; I will resume support of any of the others actually needed by someone.

And, as usual, I am open to continuing to work problems. If anyone develops a compatible kernel from the newest Ubuntu LTS, Trusty Tahr, I can take a shot at a "super5" hybrid lupu.
Richard

UPDATE 4/1/2014 & 4/2/2014: Uploaded:
  • lupulibre-5.2.8.6-4.1.5-20140321.iso
    lupu3hd-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
    lupusuper1-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
    lupusuper3-5.2.8.6-20140321.iso
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 03 Apr 2014, 14:13, edited 3 times in total.

bigpup

#2800 Post by bigpup »

Lupusuper2-5.2.8.6-3.2.48-20140321
manual frugal install
initial boot

Quickpet->Drivers->Nvidia

No drivers available in repo for your card.

(I know there is a driver, for this card, in the repo, but it is not compiled for the kernel in Lupusuper2)

Need some graphics drivers compiled to support the different kernels being used in Lucid versions.

Must be someone, who has repo access, that could help.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)