For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Todd

iPup (60 MB)

#1 Post by Todd »

Updated 2007/06/08:

Brand new iPup based on 2.13 with Firefox, glibc 2.4 (for Flash) and Flash:

http://www.ipup.info/

Todd
Last edited by Todd on Fri 08 Jun 2007, 14:59, edited 8 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

That should suit a lot of people
Put it on the wiki news here:)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LatestNews
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

Nice

#3 Post by raffy »

Hey, nice art there. Will test this build soon. Thanks!

Edit: Using it now. Really a light Puppy. How about hiding the Info Managers and Games in the menu, as they have no entry? Also, some added notes in the splash page and in the help file may be needed to clarify the nature of this build. As to the init script, should it not display "iPup 2.11 - LitePup based on Puppy 2.11", or just "LitePup 2.11"?

Hey, this spell-checker in the browser is really helpful. Cheers!
Last edited by raffy on Mon 30 Oct 2006, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Nevermore

#4 Post by Nevermore »

that would be perfect for my university..
i was wondering if anyone succeed in frugal install in a fat 32 disk where no other OS are available..
is around 1 month i keep trying with grub for dos, but i don't know how to make it work!
--
/sbin/Nevermore

Fossil

#5 Post by Fossil »

IPup is responsive with just enough features for everyday usage - I'm using it now.
Meanwhile, has anyone else looked under Root? When I started having a browse around, I discovered a Puppy-2.10-multimedia.iso in there. Was it part of the original download? If so, a 'Download one, get another, free' approach is hard to better! Just for fun, I burnt the 'hitch-hiker' to CD. It works, perfectly.

raffy

flash

#6 Post by raffy »

Not that I miss it, but is Flash working? It seems it is not, but I could be wrong.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Todd

Flash

#7 Post by Todd »

Barry, in his build of Seamonkey, includes flash. I agree that Flash is needed, but I leave that up to the end user. Personally, I find Flash and Java are a must. (Firefox has very well build engines for installing these plugins.)

Sincerely,

Todd Richardson

Todd

Reasons for not including Flash and Java

#8 Post by Todd »

Call me a purist, but I don't want to build any iso's that include proprietary software. Both Flash and Java are definitely proprietary.

Todd

setecio

#9 Post by setecio »

Can I install this (IPup) to the hard disc on a computer with only 64MB ram and have it run without a swap file ?

If not how much does it slow puppy down to be running it with 64MB and a swap file, compared to 128MB without a swap ?

raffy

need swap

#10 Post by raffy »

You can run it but with a hard drive, where it will look for or create swap.

Using a swap partition, the speed reduction shouldn't be much, as iPup is already small. We will be interested to know your results if you experiment. :)

setecio

#11 Post by setecio »

Since it needs a swap partition, I will try the full Puppy first, and if it is too slow then I will try iPup.

I was really looking for something that did away with the need for a swap partition on 64MB. :(

I'll let you know the results, if I try it.

Todd

Let me build you a custom ISO

#12 Post by Todd »

While building IPup I found exactly what I can leave out and what I can keep in. If you don't have a swap partition, Puppy uses your root directory. (I don't know the techinical reasons, but I have noticed that the available memory is not bigger that your available space in root (assuming that root fills the available space on the USB not taken by Puppy).) Anyway, the key is to make your puppy as small as you can. I can build you a custom puppy with only what you need. If I can keep it to say 40 MB, that will give you 16 MB for root, giving you 16MB of memory. (For some reason, puppy cannot fill the whole USB. It needs 8 MB residual space.) That should be enough memory to surf the net (as long as you disable caching) or run AbiWord.

Tell me what you absolutely need and I will build you an ISO.

Todd

setecio

#13 Post by setecio »

Unfortunately a decent word processor is one of the things needed.

Thank-you for your offer, but I wouldn't want you to waste time building one just for me, because I'm not really sure enough about what is needed. Probably internet, emails, decent word processor, printing, ethernet maybe, or USB bb modem, dial up modem.

But I think if I do load it on the laptop I will just wipe and re-partition the drive, create a swap file and load the full Puppy. I think it will work fine, but if it doesn't I might come back and request your help.

Thanks.

Todd

Reply to Raffy. . .

#14 Post by Todd »

Raffy, I am sorry! It took me a while to notice that you had added to your comment. IPup is my attempt to make a puplet for use with machines without CD/DVD's. I have spoken with Barry and I plan maintain both LitePup and IPup. LitePup is basically just the standard version stripped down. I plan on making IPup its own distribution. That is why I didn't include a number after the name. My "modus operandi" in all of my organizing is to not number the first of anything. (The second gets numbered, but not the first.)

Sincerely,

Todd Richardson

raffy

iPup

#15 Post by raffy »

iPup (yes, that's small "i") is indeed a very attractive build - one that lets the user operate a client device as an Internet kiosk cum typewriter (word processing) with pages sent to a network printer.

The challenge right now is being able to do that in 128 MB RAM, no hard disk. So I hope that in your tests, you would unplug that hard drive. :D

Legions of users are waiting for iPup - and they've got a good guy working on it. :wink:

setecio

Re: Let me build you a custom ISO

#16 Post by setecio »

Todd wrote:That should be enough memory to surf the net (as long as you disable caching) or run AbiWord.
:oops: I misread that as don't run AbiWord.

Maybe I'll try iPup first since all that is needed for the laptop is internet and Abiword. So if I wiped the drive and repartitioned it with a swap file, I assume that iPup would work OK ?

I assume it is designed for ethernet and common Epson or HP printers can easily be installed? If so it sounds perfect, no point in having the other stuff on full Puppy if it is never going to be used on the laptop.

Would it be as likely as the full puppy to work with an on board dial up modem?

Does iPup set up a cd player at all during install, not for music but for installing programs and files, or does it have no CD player ability at all ?

Thanks.

Todd

iPup and CD/DVD's

#17 Post by Todd »

I have had a really hard time getting onto the forum. I started at 7:00 a.m. this morning and haven't been able to get on until now (3:00 p.m.). Of course I haven't been trying continuously. Anyways. . .

iPup has the command line CD utilities that are needed to make the re-master script work and to allow reading of CD's. It just doesn't have any of the toys. Fact is, it has very few toys of any kind.

I share my computer with my children, so I have split the hard drive in two. I have Windows installed on one half and the second half is a type 82 linux partition that I use for Puppy Unleashed. When I am not testing, I typically boot from a 256 MB flash drive. I built the computer with 512 MB of RAM. Basically, what I am saying is that I know that my builds work with 256 MB flash device and 512 MB of memory, but have yet to test it on anything else. (My work computer also has 512 MB of RAM.) The funny thing is that when I boot from the flash device, the memory showing is usually just over 100 MB, no more.

Todd

iPup 1.01

#18 Post by Todd »

I just finished uploading iPup 1.01. This release includes Raffy's suggestions along with the removal of a few programs and libs.

Sincerely,

Todd

setecio

Re: iPup

#19 Post by setecio »

raffy wrote:iPup (yes, that's small "i") is indeed a very attractive build - one that lets the user operate a client device as an Internet kiosk cum typewriter (word processing) with pages sent to a network printer.
Can iPup print to inkjets via USB or is it only for printing to network printers ?

Todd

USB printing

#20 Post by Todd »

You are supposed to be able to, but I never have been able to get it to work. However, I have CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) in my archive which works wonderfully. (See forum thread http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11294 )

Todd