Slacko 5.7 final - 8 March 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

Re: Intel 4965AGN wifi not working

#401 Post by 01micko »

Terry H wrote:I did a frugal instal of the slacko-5.6.8.0 on my laptop which has Intel 4965 AGN wifi card. The wifi is not working. I did a work around by copying the 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' from another instal and saving it as '/lib/firmware/iwlegacy/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode', as per a fix mentioned in pemasu's DPup Wheezy thread.

I have attached the output from pdiag, which was run on a clean instal without doing the work around.
Did the work around work? It certainly seems like puppy's old location for WiFi firmware is failing in new kernels.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#402 Post by 01micko »

SFR wrote: So, how about upgrading the whole thing? :wink:

Greetings!
Hmmm.. not now. Post the working binaries and I'll put them in.

My idea is to totally change the boot from CD routine and USB installs, offering a menu similar to Shinobar's and Porteus at first boot. The method used now is archaic. Iguleder wants to support UEFI and this support is in syslinux 6.x. I think that is the way to go for future versions. Some win8 machines will be 2 years old soon.

01micko

Re: eeePC1001HA

#403 Post by 01micko »

Volhout wrote:Tested Slacko 5.6.8 (I assume this is the non PAE version of 5.7RC).
Or do I need the 5.6.8.0 ?

- No WIFI connection on the eeePC 1001HA (RA3900), not with SNS, not with Frisbee, not with Dougals wizzard. CPU load is low during scan, so it is not an issue with timeouts.
This is the first time on a Slacko build. All earlier Slacko's I tested (5.2x, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6) work fine on this netbook.

ifconfig does not show "wlan0" at all , only "eth0" and "lo"

Will try later with different PC's.
I can only assume this is firmware related. Please post a pdiag file or at least the output from dmesg. Thanks.

01micko

Re: Broadcom wl.ko driver

#404 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote:Hi Mick

Looks like you've used a version of the Broadcom STA wl.ko driver source that doesn't have the patch to create wlan0 instead of eth1.

The source I've been using, that does have the patch is from:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/i38 ... .223.141-1

Cheers
peebee
Well thats odd, I used that source, you pointed me to it! What about you build the drivers, I'll put them in.

01micko

Re: Stupid locale

#405 Post by 01micko »

CatDude wrote:Hi
mavrothal wrote:..The correct string for en_GB is

Code: Select all

am_pm   "<U0041><U004D>";"<U0050><U004D>"
t_fmt_ampm "<U0025><U006C><U003A><U0025><U004D><U003A><U0025><U0053><U0020>/
<U0025><U0070>"
OK thanks,
but the only difference there is <U006C> as opposed to <U0049>
or put another way, a lowercase L as opposed to an uppercase i.
Surely that isn't going to be a problem,
having a leading zero rather than a blank space in front of the hour.
mavrothal wrote:(maybe that's why it messed up your desktop)
I don't think so, just the mere act of switching locales was enough.

Try this:
  • Edit the PuppyPin to remove all desktop icons (not the drive icons)
    then restart the Xserver, you'll have a nice clean desktop.
    Now switch to a different locale, all the icons will come back,
    that's what i meant by 'messed up'
mavrothal wrote:Unfortunately this is not a woof bug but an old glibc(?) issue.
Sorry, i wasn't trying to infer that it was a woof bug,
more of a suggestion that it could maybe be fixed at woof level somehow.

CatDude
If you guys can figure out a correct working file I'll include it to override the buggy one. Pet form will be easiest for me but a gzipped file will suffice.

Terry H

#406 Post by Terry H »

Marv wrote:
Terry H wrote:I did a frugal instal of the slacko-5.6.8.0 on my laptop which has Intel 4965 AGN wifi card. The wifi is not working. I did a work around by copying the 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' from another instal and saving it as '/lib/firmware/iwlegacy/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode', as per a fix mentioned in pemasu's DPup Wheezy thread.

I have attached the output from pdiag, which was run on a clean instal without doing the work around.
Blacklist wl and repeat the test. From the pdialog output it looks like that might do it. If that does it there is a fix discussed here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 337#748337
I removed the savefile and booted slacko again. I blacklisted wl driver as requested, created a new savefile and then rebooted. Still no wifi.

Terry H

#407 Post by Terry H »

01micko wrote:

Did the work around work? It certainly seems like puppy's old location for WiFi firmware is failing in new kernels.
Yes it did.

SFR

#408 Post by SFR »

01micko wrote:
SFR wrote: So, how about upgrading the whole thing? :wink:

Greetings!
Hmmm.. not now. Post the working binaries and I'll put them in.

My idea is to totally change the boot from CD routine and USB installs, offering a menu similar to Shinobar's and Porteus at first boot. The method used now is archaic. Iguleder wants to support UEFI and this support is in syslinux 6.x. I think that is the way to go for future versions. Some win8 machines will be 2 years old soon.
Ok, here it is. I added also items from /usr/lib/syslinux/ (only the differing ones).
I'm not sure if it's necessary to replace them too - my previous tests (HDD and USB installs) went well with only syslinux & extlinux binaries replaced, however I just tested both installation types also with them and it did not harm.

Oh, there is a small warning from Universal Installer + newer syslinux:

syslinux: please specify --install or --update for the future
but all is ok despite that.
Probably just a matter to add -i in one line in /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller.

Greetings!
Attachments
syslinux_lupu528.tar.bz2
(166.48 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#409 Post by 01micko »

Thanks @SFR

Now, just rebuilt SDL, attached is the modified slackbuild.. note the intentional hang after the patching, just to read the info, just hit enter.

EDIT:

UTC Sat Mar  8 00:42:38 2014
 strings_sfdisk-2.2.1 added : extracted from slackware util-linux
 jwm-905-i686 upgraded
 sdl-1.2.15-i486 patched and upgraded : SFR
 syslinux-4.0-modified upgraded from lupu version : SFR
All uploaded, test if you want.

EDIT2: just adding my little changelog utility.. made it for myself but some may find it useful.
Attachments
changelog-0.1.tar.bz2
32 bit bin included.
extract: tar -xjf changelog-0.1.tar.bz2
build: gcc -o changelog changelog.c
(6.53 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
sdl-slackbuild.tar.bz2
(5.7 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

#410 Post by Marv »

Terry H wrote:
Marv wrote:

Blacklist wl and repeat the test. From the pdialog output it looks like that might do it. If that does it there is a fix discussed here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 337#748337
I removed the savefile and booted slacko again. I blacklisted wl driver as requested, created a new savefile and then rebooted. Still no wifi.
Thanks, that gives me a bit more to scratch my old head about. I would love to see all of the firmware in /lib/firmware. No more storage space and there when the kernel needs it.
Edit: in /lib/modules/3.4.78/kernel/drivers/net/wireless, the .ko drivers for iwl3945,iwl4965,iwlegacy are in a directory named iwlegacy. In /lib/modules/all-firmware, the firmware for those chips is in a directory named iwlwifi. I can't test this but I surmise the directory name mismatch goofs up frontend. By contrast, the driver and firmware for my i5300 (which works) are both in respective iwlwifi directories. If the above is the case, moving everything into the iwlwifi directory in /lib/modules/3.4.78/kernel/drivers/net/wireless or symlinking from there would fix it. Creating an iwlegacy directory in all-firmware for the 3945, 4965, iwlegacy firmware also should do it.
Last edited by Marv on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 02:03, edited 2 times in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

gcmartin

#411 Post by gcmartin »

Burned to multi-session DVD and booted on another 32bit Laptop in 26 seconds. All is well here too.

Abiword: Agreed. Maybe a PhatSlacko would solve it all in a single Bark!

I have 1 request for the 32bit Slackos (and all future PUPs).
  • SAMBA
This LAN technology is going on 30 years old, soon.

The great work done by 01Micko and TaZoC have delivered wonderful Slackware based Puppy distro for our use. Both developers have used traditional boot processes for what we have. An earlier post, today, calls for a change in the traditional boot process to one which employs use of ADRV/ZDRV. This raises a concern of the impact this potentially has for booting PUPs over the LAN.

The Concern - This concern ONLY exist IFF 01Micko changes his tradition of kernal-initrd-SFS.
Concern affects the impact on the current Netboot subsystem employed by LH64 where building of the cross-network boot image used by the PC which boot over LAN, does NOT currently have the intelligence to add in an ADRV or ZDRV. If someone would upgrade TaZoC's script to embrace this, should Slacko change, it would certainly be a welcome for those of us who boot PUP distros via NETBOOT. The script which builds the boot image in LH64 is a modified version of JamesBonds script; namely "/usr/sbin/netboot-server-jb.sh". This is ONLY needed if SLACKO changes its boot instructions from how it occurs today.

I have enclosed the script for review by anyone who understands what is shared in Netboot to support PCs booting from a LAN host. Lighthouse64 has the Netboot technology built-in and available via the desktop Menu.

Edited: time added to 1st paragraph.
Attachments
netboot-server-jb.sh.gz
This script taken from LH64 is responsible for subsystem initiation and the building of the image that LAN PC(s) would boot. Its system path is /usr/sbin/netboot-server-jb.sh
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#412 Post by gcmartin »

@James C has a tradition, by him, displayed from the 32bit and 64bit PUPs he tests, showing a tool which shows the system performance snapshot on the desktop. (see below for an example from him)

I think that many of us would welcome that as a good reference of system behavior each time the system is booted.

So this is a request asking if @James C or someone could package this display such that with one command or PPM step, add this desktop utility. If not a PET, could there be a thread posted on the forum on this use for Slacko users to use and configure?

Thanks in advance, anyone.
Attachments
DesktopPerformance Reporter.jpg
From earlier post by @James C.
Compiz???
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

James C

#413 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote:@James C has a tradition, by him, displayed from the 32bit and 64bit PUPs he tests, showing a tool which shows the system performance snapshot on the desktop. (see below for an example from him)

I think that many of us would welcome that as a good reference of system behavior each time the system is booted.

So this is a request asking if @James C or someone could package this display such that with one command or PPM step, add this desktop utility. If not a PET, could there be a thread posted on the forum on this use for Slacko users to use and configure?

Thanks in advance, anyone.

That's just plain old Conky,available in the PPM, with different tweaked configs.
That particular Conky config is located at

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 585#758585

Just install Conky from the PPM,put the config from the linked post in/etc/conky/ (i'd rename the original conky.conf to preserve it)..... if you want Conky to run all the time symlink /usr/bin/conky to /root/startup.

EDIT:
The Conky from the PPM works and provides some info....... I just prefer my tweaked configs....
Last edited by James C on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#414 Post by James C »

Here's the config I was using.....

background yes
use_xft yes
xftfont Sans:size=10
xftalpha 1
update_interval 1.0
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_type normal
own_window_class conky-semi
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
minimum_size 240 240
maximum_width 240
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
default_color white
default_shade_color black
default_outline_color black
alignment top_right
gap_x 12
gap_y 12
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no
TEXT
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}Slacko-5.6.5.2 ${hr 2}
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}$sysname $kernel $alignr $machine
Uptime:$alignr$uptime

${font Sans:size=10:weight=bold}${color white}Processors ${hr 2}$color
${color white}${pre_exec cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | sed -e 's/model name.*: //' | head -1}}
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}CPU: ${font Sans:size=10:weight=bold}${color red}${cpu cpu0}% $font${color}${alignr}FREQ: ${font Sans:size=10:weight=bold}${color red}${freq_g 1}Ghz$alignr
${color white}${offset 35}CPU temp: ${color red}${exec tempcpu}
${color white}CPU1: ${cpu cpu1}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu1 8,60}
${color white}CPU2: ${cpu cpu2}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu2 8,60}
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}MEMORY ${hr 2}
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}RAM $alignc $mem / $memmax $alignr $memperc%
$membar
${color white}Swap Usage:$color $swap/$swapmax - $swapperc% ${swapbar 4}
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}Savefile ${hr 2}
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}/ $alignc ${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /} $alignr ${fs_used_perc /}%
${if_mounted /initrd/mnt/dev_save}/mnt/home: ${fs_used_perc /initrd/mnt/dev_save}% ${color white}${fs_bar /initrd/mnt/dev_save}$color $endif 
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${color white}$alignc ${fs_used /initrd/mnt/dev_save} / ${fs_size /initrd/mnt/dev_save} $alignr ${fs_used_perc /initrd/mnt/dev_save}%
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}TOP PROCESSES ${hr 2}
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${top_mem name 1}${alignr}${top mem 1} %
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${top_mem name 2}${alignr}${top mem 2} %
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${top_mem name 3}${alignr}${top mem 3} %
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${top_mem name 4}${alignr}${top mem 4} %
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${top_mem name 5}${alignr}${top mem 5} %
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${top_mem name 6}${alignr}${top mem 6} %
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${top_mem name 7}${alignr}${top mem 7} %
${font sans-serif:bold:size=10}${top_mem name 8}${alignr}${top mem 8} %
${time %a}$alignr${time %d %B %Y}
Attachments
another conky.jpg
(42.72 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

01micko

#415 Post by 01micko »

Terry H wrote:
01micko wrote:

Yes it did.
Great, thanks.

Now if you could test the same on the 4G version (5.6.8) and instead move to /lib/firmware/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode (replacing iwlegacy) that will give me enough motivation to move all firmware for wifi drivers to /lib/firmware. This is probably where firmware for wifi (and ethernet and probably others, apart form big modems) should be.

James C

#416 Post by James C »

I've semi-retired the old,trusty Athlon XP box but all my kernel stuff is still there and I needed access to it to answer a question
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 422#763422
so while it's fired up a manual frugal install of 5.6.8.

Everything working on initial boot.....looking good in a brief test.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.6.8

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
139 frames in 5.0 seconds = 27.665 FPS
146 frames in 5.0 seconds = 29.181 FPS
148 frames in 5.0 seconds = 29.528 FPS
145 frames in 5.0 seconds = 28.885 FPS
148 frames in 5.0 seconds = 29.486 FPS
138 frames in 5.0 seconds = 27.486 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (192MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Slacko Puppy - 5.6.8
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 07 Mar 2014 10:01:56 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on softpipe
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       1033464       564172       469292            0        58420
-/+ buffers:             505752       527712
Swap:      1228936            0      1228936
#

James C

#417 Post by James C »

Attempted to upgrade a frugal install from 5.6.5.6 to 5.6.8....failed.No sound or internet.....even loading the correct driver resulted in no interface detected. Deleted savefile.....everything working on reboot.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.6.8

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod fb glx kbd mouse record

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.265 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.143 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.144 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 2065MB (166MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Slacko Puppy - 5.6.8
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 07 Mar 2014 11:01:43 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       2065636       555232      1510404            0        55688
-/+ buffers:             499544      1566092
Swap:      2150396            0      2150396
# 

mavrothal

Re: Stupid locale

#418 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: If you guys can figure out a correct working file I'll include it to override the buggy one. Pet form will be easiest for me but a gzipped file will suffice.
Actually, the problem exists with at more that en_GB.
en_{IE,NG,ZA,DK} have the same problem as well as a bunch of others including 16 variants of Spanish, 5 variants of German, 5 of French etc.

Anyway, a z_hack with

sed -i 's/""\;""/"<U0041><U004D>"\;"<U0050><U004D>"/' /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_GB
sed -i 's/t_fmt_ampm  ""/t_fmt_ampm  "<U0025><U006C><U003A><U0025><U004D><U003A><U0025><U0053><U0020>\/\n<U0025><U0070>"/' /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_GB
should do it for en_GB and the rest of the en_* locales
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mavrothal

#419 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: will give me enough motivation to move all firmware for wifi drivers to /lib/firmware. This is probably where firmware for wifi (and ethernet and probably others, apart form big modems) should be.
You may want to check the "firmware" branch of woof-CE :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

zigbert

#420 Post by zigbert »

pMusic 4.2.7 has a major bug.
The internal pMusic file-browser doesn't work.
It would please me if 4.2.8 is used instead.

Sigmund