Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 18:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
voxpup - a voice controlled puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 01:59    Post subject:  

puppyluvr wrote:
Very Happy
Hello,
IDK about ESpeaking above, but espeak is linux and I use it on my puppies.
Yes, I think the E-speaking mentioned in that link is different to espeak (which I use in voxpup for user notifications).

Do you use alternative voices in espeak? I haven't figured out het how to get a better sounding voice.
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 03:47    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Espeak has a lot of voices available thru the script you call it with.
I like
Code:
espeak -v en-sc "message"

English with a Scottish accent.. Sort of.
espeak -help explains how to control pitch/timbre/etc.

Puppy since 2.15CE...
ndujoe1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 11:45    Post subject: Microsoft VX2000 webcam  

I have this Microsoft VX2000 webcam which has a microphone built in. VOX pup appears only to reference the motherboard sound card and bypasses this USB webcam sound.

It there a way I can direct VOX pup to use the microphone on this VX2000 as the source for the spoken voice.?
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 12:45    Post subject: Re: Microsoft VX2000 webcam  

ndujoe1 wrote:
It there a way I can direct VOX pup to use the microphone on this VX2000 as the source for the spoken voice.?
First - a caution - I have found it best to use a microphone that is placed close to the mouth as this increases the "voice volume" relative to the "room volume". I have on occasions successfully used an inbuilt microphone - but I had to turn the capture volume up a bit higher and this is problematic if there is any background noise in the room as it can fool the voice detection module into thinking that you are speaking continuously (so it never begins the decoding phase...). So, for that reason I strongly recommend a headset mic. Having said that, lets try to work out why your webcam mic is not working yet:

Detection / configuration of recording sources can be tricky on any pup, but lets have a go anyway...

1) What is the output if you type:
# arecord -l
(that is a "minus ell" not "minus one")

2) Could you type:
# retrovol
and post an image of the mic config section similar to my screenshot below?
retrovol_mic_choice.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   68.98 KB
 Viewed   181 Time(s)

retrovol_mic_choice.jpg

ndujoe1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 20:03    Post subject:  

I solved the sound problem by getting a headset that hooks up to the motherboard sound card.

The VOX Puppy's voice control is amazing.

Ran into an unexpected snag. When I save the personal file which is placed on the sda1 drive as my other puppy flavors, VOX Puppy does not see it on boot up. Is it because my partition in sda1 is ext4, My other puppys see their personal files fine.

VOX puppy does reference my Linux swap partition on sda3 OK.
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 20:36    Post subject:  

ndujoe1 wrote:
When I save the personal file which is placed on the sda1 drive as my other puppy flavors, VOX Puppy does not see it on boot up. Is it because my partition in sda1 is ext4,
I haven't used ext4 so I can't say for sure if Voxpup handles it ok - although I would expect it to be fine as I based Voxpup on Pemasu's Upup Raring 3992 which is pretty recent.

I do recall setting the iso to boot as pfix=ram as a default so that it would not grab or damage savefiles that an inexperienced user might not be aware of. I didn't think this would have any effect after the creation of a savefile but I guess this could be the most likely cause of your symptom. I think it may be necessary to add a kernel parameter in the boot stanza. I will have to research this a bit more. (I may need to get rid of the pfix=ram change that I put in the iso).

Sorry about this - I have been focusing on trying to make it run perfectly as a LiveCD and should have done more testing with a savefile. I will report back as soon as I have some suggestions...

I'm glad you are finding the voice recognition working ok though - that is good news.
ndujoe1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 20:38    Post subject:  

Now I understand, the source of the mixup. It makes sense what you were trying to prevent. Let me know when you have corrected this behaviour.

The Voice function is awesome.
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 21:29    Post subject:  

The method I used to force the CD to ignore savefiles was to modify the isolinux.cfg file with the additon of pfix=ram. However, as far as I can tell this should only ever affect the initial boot from CD, and have no effect at all on subsequent boots from HDD.

I have just tested Voxpup with a .2fs savefile, and also with a .4fs savefile without any problems. Obviously the 4fs format of the savefile is not quite the same thing as having the entire partition in ext4 but that is all I can test right at the moment - at least it suggests that voxpup is ext4 aware.

My boot stanza is as follows:
Code:
title Voxpup001 frugal in sda1 dir Voxpup001
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /Voxpup001/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=Voxpup001 pfix=fsck
initrd /Voxpup001/initrd.gz

Is your boot stanza something similar?
ndujoe1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 23:16    Post subject:  

Sorry, where do I locate the boot stanza.

Also the partition is sda1 partition is ext4 would that make any difference?
Johnny Cache

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 00:21    Post subject:
Subject description: Sic 'em

Kill, Puppy! KILL!
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 05:10    Post subject:  

ndujoe1 wrote:
Sorry, where do I locate the boot stanza.
What I refer to as the boot stanza is just one of the 'paragraphs' inside the menu.lst file - they define the title, location and kernel parameters to allow each pup to boot successfully once it is chosen from the boot screen/menu. (I guess you must have a number of such stanzas in your menu.lst file as you have multiple frugals I think?)

Quote:
Also the partition is sda1 partition is ext4 would that make any difference?
Yes it could make a difference but I would not have expected that to be the reason for puppy to be unable to find the savefile. I have never used the ext4 format so I would only be guessing about the effects it might have. If I can dig out an empty HDD I will format it as ext4 and see if I get the same symptom.

As a matter of interest - what size did you make your savefile?
ndujoe1

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 08:36    Post subject:  

I left it at 512 mb that standard configuration as I was just starting to work with this flavor of Puppylinux.
ndujoe1

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 10:01    Post subject:  

I boot and operate Live CD, I don't install frugal. I saw the frugal statement in your boot statement, does this have any effect on the boot behavriour?
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 14:54    Post subject:  

ndujoe1 wrote:
I boot and operate Live CD, I don't install frugal. I saw the frugal statement in your boot statement, does this have any effect on the boot behavriour?
Yes it does - If you INSTALL puppy (whether full or frugal does not matter...) then you will have a "bootloader" installed on a partition of your hard disk or usb stick (and this will contain a menu.lst file which contains 'stanzas' which define the name, location etc of each puppy). Now I realise that your puppies are not "installed". (sorry - took me a while to grasp that possibility)

So, just to clarify - is this the way you run your puppies:
1) First boot is from CD
2) At shutdown you create a savefile
3) Second boot and all subsequent boots are also from CD, and you need the boot process to find the previous savefile.

I did not think that using the CD in this way was common practice - I have only used it once in a machine which had no HDD. It only had a usb stick for storage - and that could not be used as a boot device so I was using the CD as a bootstrap to a savefile on usb.

What this means is that I need to release an iso that does not have the 'pfix=ram' parameter set.

I am close to finishing voxpup2 (more sensitive mouse control via voice command and also some extra vocabulary) but I might just decide to quickly modify 001 in the meantime. I will post back as soon as I have a new link

- This doesn't mean you will have to change your savefile in any way. It just means that you will need to burn a new CD which is capable of looking for the savefile - in all other respects it will be identical.

Last edited by greengeek on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 17:55; edited 1 time in total
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 17:43    Post subject:  

Alternative version of voxpup001 (mofified to look for savefiles at boot time) is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/w4cjopop7sw1ecm/voxpup001_find_savefiles.iso
md5=1dbda82b6a6d2c0531abe5b703b52083

I will update my first post to reflect this.

I think in future I will revert to standard puppy behaviour and make voxpup002 etc look for savefiles as the default, but I will also offer a separate iso modified to 'ignore savefiles' (which is my preferred behaviour when booting from CDs)
Page 2 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: