Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 30 Oct 2014, 15:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
JWM Desktop Updates to V755 (Release) and V910 (Test)
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 15 of 16 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
joewing

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar 2014, 21:46    Post_subject:  

Argolance:

Backgrounds seem to be working fine for me; did png support not get compiled in perhaps?

- Joe
Argolance

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 09:54    Post_subject:  

Bonjour,
Thanks for replying.
Code:
# jwm -v
JWM vgit-901 by Joe Wingbermuehle
compiled options: confirm fribidi icons jpeg nls png shape svg xbm xft xinerama xpm xrender
Embarassed
What is wrong?
Trying to find... Confused

Cordialement.

SFR

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:30    Post_subject:  

No probs here, either - see screenie.

Greetings!
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   144.32 KB
 Viewed   825 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

Argolance

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 19:58    Post_subject:  

Bonsoir,
This is my configuration file, called /root/.jwm/jwmrc-logout and punctually included inside jwmrc.personal this way:
Code:
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-logout</Include>

Here is the jwm configuration file contents:
Code:
<JWM>

<Desktops width="1" height="1">
<Background type="gradient">#3c3c3c:#414141</Background>
</Desktops>
<WindowStyle>
   <Inactive>
      <Text>red</Text>
      <Outline>red</Outline>
   </Inactive>
</WindowStyle>
<TaskListStyle>
<Foreground>red</Foreground>
</TaskListStyle>

</JWM>

When user closes his session, titles and outlines of currently (if exist) running applications windows become red and are gathered inside a single virtual desktop (instead of 4 virtual desktops under normal circumstances). Desktop becomes blank (gradient color). This to prevent him from loosing data. User can then "Continue" or "Cancel".
What is strange is that I get windows colors (red), a single vitual desktop but not the gradient background!
This worked fine with jwm 576 release.

Any idea?

Cordialement.

Argolance

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar 2014, 07:45    Post_subject:  

Bonjour,
So, I compiled jwm 905 with debug enabled and this is what I get:
Code:
DEBUG: main.c[113]: debug mode started
DEBUG: Unknown event type: 33
DEBUG: main.c[234]: debug mode stopped
DEBUG: MEMORY: no memory leaks
DEBUG: ClientMessage to unknown window (0x6000aa): _NET_WM_STATE
DEBUG: Unknown event type: 34
DEBUG: XError: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
DEBUG:    Request Code: 42 (X_SetInputFocus)
DEBUG:    Minor Code: 0
DEBUG:    Resource ID: 0x2800003
DEBUG:    Error Serial: 55984
DEBUG: CHECKPOINT LIST (oldest)
DEBUG:    event.c[110]
DEBUG:    event.c[125]
DEBUG:    grab.c[19]
DEBUG:    grab.c[20]
DEBUG: END OF CHECKPOINT LIST (most recent)
DEBUG: XError: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
DEBUG:    Request Code: 25 (X_SendEvent)
DEBUG:    Minor Code: 0
DEBUG:    Resource ID: 0x2800003
DEBUG:    Error Serial: 55985
DEBUG: CHECKPOINT LIST (oldest)
DEBUG:    grab.c[19]
DEBUG:    grab.c[20]
DEBUG: END OF CHECKPOINT LIST (most recent)

Shocked

Cordialement.

joewing

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:29    Post_subject:  

Argolance:

I wouldn't worry too much about the debug output from JWM unless there is a lot of it or it happens along with something else. There are some fairly benign things that can cause JWM to report errors (for example, JWM sending a message to a window that has just gone away). I did fix the "Unknown event type" thing though (in snapshot 908).

As far as the background issue, is there another background entry somewhere else in the configuration that might be overriding the background? The way it is currently implemented, the older desktop entry will override the newer entry, which seems backwards to me. So I'm going to change it so newer entries override older entries.

- Joe
Argolance

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar 2014, 09:00    Post_subject:  

Bonjour,
@joewing
Exclamation I noticed it is not possible (anymore) to activate any ROX panel while dragging the mouse cursor to the up or down corner of the desktop if panel is hidden by a maximized window.
Quote:
is there another background entry somewhere else in the configuration that might be overriding the background?
To my knowledge, no! The new background is working but is not visible: If I set it to a flashy pink solid color, I see it during a short moment when restarting JWM.
Other thing: If Conky is running and if I remove the desktop background set by Rox, the transparent Conky system monitor window shows the pink background.

In any case something makes a mess in my running application windows that cannot be displayed while clicking on their title in the task bar (as if they were present but hidden) unless I restart JWM again.

Sorry, I don't know if this issue is particular to a personal misconfiguration somewhere or if this may generally happen to someone else in a same but "regular" situation Embarassed.
The only thing I can say is that it works fine with JWM 576 with exactly the same configuration...

Question: what is the difference between reload and restart JWM?
Thank you so much!

Cordialement.

joewing

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2014, 19:49    Post_subject:  

Argolance:

JWM now makes maximized windows take up the full screen. It used to leave the borders, which would allow you to click behind the window despite it being fullscreen.

As far as the background thing goes, there have been changes to how JWM handles the background. It should actually play nicer with other programs now. My best guess is that you have some program (perhaps Rox?) that is setting the background. If some other program changes the background after JWM starts, JWM will leave the background alone. JWM should force the background to be redrawn if restarted though. I'll have to play with Rox to see if I can reproduce this behavior.

I'm not sure what you mean by application windows not being displayed.

"jwm -reload" will only reload the menus whereas "jwm -restart" reloads all of the configuration. The "reload" option exists to avoid the "flicker" that occurs with a restart (which can be quite annoy, especially on slower systems).

- Joe
Argolance

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014, 09:53    Post_subject:  

Bonjour,
... Great! Very Happy
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by application windows not being displayed.

About the "mess":
    For example, I am viewing a picture with my default image viewer. After running the extra jwm configuration file (background desktop color) and back to the normal state, application window disappears (as if it were reduced to the task bar). Then, if I click and click again on the title of any opened (invisible) application inside the task bar, nothing occurs, the application window is not displayed but is duly present because while right clicking on what seems to be the desktop, I get the right click menu of the application itself (and not the usual menu that I get normally when I right click on the desktop).

Sometimes the drop-down menu of some applications, for example "File" (or any other) from Gimp (or any other) is not sensitive, or if I try to use the middle button of the mouse to zoom in or out (default image viewer), it doesn't work.

Hope this can really help and not make you waste your precious time...

Thanks!

Cordialement.

joewing

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2014, 14:22    Post_subject:  

It appears that rox controls the background when displaying icons on the desktop even if you don't have a background set, in which case rox will set the background to a (configurable) solid color. I don't know if there's a way to change that behavior, so I guess the easiest solution is to have rox control the background.

Quote:
For example, I am viewing a picture with my default image viewer. After running the extra jwm configuration file (background desktop color) and back to the normal state, application window disappears (as if it were reduced to the task bar). Then, if I click and click again on the title of any opened (invisible) application inside the task bar, nothing occurs, the application window is not displayed but is duly present because while right clicking on what seems to be the desktop, I get the right click menu of the application itself (and not the usual menu that I get normally when I right click on the desktop).

Sometimes the drop-down menu of some applications, for example "File" (or any other) from Gimp (or any other) is not sensitive, or if I try to use the middle button of the mouse to zoom in or out (default image viewer), it doesn't work.

When you mention extra configuration, are you changing the JWM configuration file and restarting JWM? If rox is running, I wonder if the application window is somehow getting buried under the desktop window that rox creates. Could you provide a screenshot of what's happening perhaps?

- Joe
dejan555

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar 2014, 14:51    Post_subject:  

joewing wrote:
It appears that rox controls the background when displaying icons on the desktop even if you don't have a background set, in which case rox will set the background to a (configurable) solid color. I don't know if there's a way to change that behavior, so I guess the easiest solution is to have rox control the background

This is configured in rox options under "Pinboard" -> Appearance
Argolance, how did you remove the background image? You didn't kill rox desktop? If rox session is still running then it will show this color that is configured in options.

BTW Joe, thanks for jwm and your work on it, I have the git-887 version compiled for my puppy and it's working nicely, also now that there's -reload option without that annoying flickr.

scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar 2014, 21:45    Post_subject: v910 32bit test  

I've built Version 910 my way as a 32bit package.

I'm back for a short while (I hope very short like only a month or so) and will get back into puppy things I put on hold as i'm seriously behind on my list.

Please let us know if there are problems with this build via the thread as i've slated it to move to release next month at Easter.

jon
ps Do the 64bit puppy people want a separate 64bit built version?
I'll do that with slacko 5.7 when I get it downloaded and my head around it next week if so.
SFR

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr 2014, 11:26    Post_subject: Maximized/fullscreen windows on external screen  

Hi guys

There's a problem with maximized/fullscreen windows on external display, it seems to be confirmed that it's a JWM issue:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=768926
However Precise-5.7.1 has JWM s819, so maybe it's been already fixed..?

sc0ttman wrote:
I recently downgraded to s574 because of this fullscreen problem - many games and emulators do not show up right in versions later than that, as your screenshot shows.

I don't know have you already seen this - I found a patch (for SDL) that fixes this problem in JWM. See here, the last post:
https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/101
Slacko-5.7 has this patched SDL included, the .pet is here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko14/sdl-1.2.15-i486.pet

Greetings!

scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr 2014, 21:38    Post_subject: RE: Maximized/fullscreen windows on external screen  

SFR and Joe

as I read it, it's not a JWM problem!

It's either the version of SDL, or total absence of the libsdl, in the puppy version being used.

A wary pet for libsdl is available already for 1.2.14 when needed, and slacko has 1.2.15 for 64bit, maybe the applications concerned just need to have their prerequisites ammended so it's added if not already installed.

As some are using later versions of SDL / libsdl, and downgrading would force errors, the same ocurrs for those using earlier ones with applications built against their version.

It's not included for wary/racy at least so the prerequisite path could be used, I shall fire up my test boxes over the next few days and see which others don't have it by default before I consider it further.

For now, I'm not willing to either link SDL or add it into the JWM pet as a prerequisite as I don't believe it's a JWM problem.

At least for those puppy's that don't have libsdl it should be easy to add it as an application prerequisite, for the others I want to think the problem through.

1-As an after-thought, the error messages out of the application or jwm should be telling you, have a look at /tmp/xerrs.log and see if it says anything. This is rewritten on reboot/restart of X so copy elsewhere if you want to compare them.

2- afterthought 2 sdl needs a reboot/shutdown to be included/removed, a restart doesn't do it properly.

scsijon
SFR

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr 2014, 04:46    Post_subject:  

Hi Scsijon

I agree that most likely it's more SDL than JWM thing - I just pointed Sc0ttman (and those who may suffer this problem) to a solution that eliminates this problem in later JWM versions.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough...

As for the main problem (maximized/fullscreen windows on external screen) it doesn't seem to be related to SDL at all (eg. YT [Flash/HTML5] doesn't make use of it, I believe?).
Like I said in the other thread I don't use/own an external monitor, however I just recalled that 1.5-2 years ago when I set up Slacko-5.3.3 (JWM s578) on my mate's laptop and we were trying to get the display on his TV, the resolution was ok, but we wasn't able to force Gnome-Mplayer's window to fill the entire screen.
I think the occupied area was equal or close to the laptop's native resolution...

Greetings!

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 15 of 16 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum