installing AMD driver

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
xmf-149

installing AMD driver

#1 Post by xmf-149 »

panzerpuppy wrote:I'm having problems installing the latest proprietary ATI driver (Catalyst 10.4) in Quirky 1.0.

I loaded both the DEVX and Kernel Source (2.6.33.2-patched) .sfs files, put the driver in / and ran the installer.

When it gets to compiling the kernel module, the installer exits quickly and leaves this post-install log file in /usr/share/ati :

(fglrx-install.log)

Code: Select all

Unloading radeon module...
Unloading drm module...
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
Error:
kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/build/include do not match current kernel.
they are versioned as ""
instead of "2.6.33.2".
you might need to adjust your symlinks:
- /usr/include
- /usr/src/linux
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

The Open Source 'radeon' driver works nicely for 2D stuff, but it doesn't support OpenGL, HD/Flash acceleration and power management. I really have no other choice than installing the proprietary driver :(
here is what i did to install the ati driver
1.download installer from amd.com
2.use quickpet to get the devx sfs and the kernel src sfs
3.make sure that /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/build is a symlink to /usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2
4.run the installer. i didnt install Catylst Control Center because u can just use aticonfig
notes: in the drivers tab quickpet has an option for test and for ATI
for my card which is a E-450 APU the test recommended Xorg High
and the ATI option didnt work either
for example the xgamma command had no effect
the installer will build a module for you since there is no matching one bundled
i was running lucid 5.2.8
another note is that even if the installer fails it will still install a driver but it will be noticably slower
step 3 is because /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/build keeps getting replaced by a directory with two links in it i dont know how or why
otherwise it was successful
:!: :!: :!:

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Looks like either its being compiled against the wrong kernel version, or it can't find the correct kernel directory.