Installing grub to puppys root

Booting, installing, newbie
rollo

Installing grub to puppys root

#1 Post by rollo »

I have installed puppy 2.11 to hdb6.I have lilo in another distro to chainload to puppy.At the lilo boot screen,I can choose Puppy,but then all I have is a black screen,with a flashing dash at top left.
In the puppy install,from a live cd,I went to install grub to the root(superblock)of hdb6,where puppy is installed.After selecting "no,grub is already installed to hard drive,Finished"(I think I followed the proceedures right),the install seems to end right at this point.
There is no setting up a root password,user account&password.Does this sound normal?
Puppy is installed to hdb6,I can see Puppys files from another distro,just something going wrong with placing grub to the root of hdb6.Any help with this?

rollo

#2 Post by rollo »

I,ve tried this which didn't work,(no such directory)
image=/dev/hdb6/boot/vmlinuz
label=Puppy
root=/dev/hdb6
initrd=/dev/hdb6/boot/initrd.img
and then this,
other=/dev/hdb6
label=Puppy
Console gives me this error:
Boot other: /dev/hdb6, loader CHAIN
Warning: First sector of /dev/hdb6 doesn't have a valid boot signature
Pseudo partition start: 98558838
Added Puppy
The universal installer doesn't seem to be putting grub to the root partition hdb6,any links to very precise instructions to installing grub to the root partition puppy is on would be appreciated.

rollo

#3 Post by rollo »

I tried to re-install using a older version 2.10,after trying 2.11 a second time,
get at boot now "kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3.70)
At least lilo is passing to grub on the root of puppy.I mounted puppy with a different distro,and I notice initrd isn't in the boot folder.Shouldn't it be?

rollo

#4 Post by rollo »

I tried to re-install using a older version 2.10,after trying 2.11 a second time,
get at boot now "kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3.70)
At least lilo is passing to grub on the root of puppy.I mounted puppy with a different distro,and I notice initrd isn't in the boot folder.Shouldn't it be?

kalleanka

#5 Post by kalleanka »

I got the same problem with grub.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

very precise instructions to installing grub to the root partition puppy is on would be appreciated
assuming you have the grub files installed in /boot/grub on hda6, all you have to do is boot the Puppy cd, type grub to start grub, then type:

root (hd0,5)
setup (hd0,5)

this will copy stage1 to the boot sector of hda6 ... it will copy stage1.5 for your file system to a sector next to the boot sector (so grub can understand file systems and find your grub files ... this way it doesn't matter if the grub files are moved, for example by defragging) ... and grub is installed

then you can boot Puppy by chaining to the boot sector of hda6