[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
SFR

#201 Post by SFR »

Question: How to compile the source to get jwm file inside /usr/bin/jwm instead of the default /usr/bin/local/jwm?
I'm using:

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Argolance

#202 Post by Argolance »

Quite perfect! 8)
Thanks.

sc0ttman

Re: Fullscreen problem

#203 Post by sc0ttman »

SFR wrote:Hi Joe & Scsijon

This is an old bug, but today I found some time and patience to determine in exactly which version it appeared for the first time.

The problem is that some apps (e.g. xrick, milkytracker, hurrican) are not able to enter fullscreen mode correctly.
Hard to describe, the attached screenshot says it all.

Ok, and the version that introduces this behavior is s575. s574 and earlier are ok.

I hope it will be possible to fix this.

Thanks &
Greetings!
As it happens, I recently downgraded to s574 because of this fullscreen problem - many games and emulators do not show up right in versions later than that, as your screenshot shows. I downgraded to 574 as it DOES support 2 screens, jwm -refresh, working fullscreen and pretty much everything else..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Argolance

#204 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Now I am testing/using the latest JWM snapshot (896) - I succeed in having customized window buttons :D - I noticed strange behaviors...
  • Some icons in the system tray (ex: firewallstate...) are not displayed properly (very small or present but invisible), same thing for application windows: the right click menus of the application work but the window of the application itself is invisible (but present). When clicking on the taskbar on the running application tabs, nothing occurs.
Cordialement.

Jasper

#205 Post by Jasper »

Hi Argolance (et al),

Using Precise 5.6 and 5.7.1 with jwm I have a similar problem to yours in that when boot up has completed my loudspeaker tray icon either does not show properly or sometimes does not show at all (ie leaves a blank space).

Also, the icons to the left of the Time do not always appear in the same order.

A restart of jwm, or X fixes my display.

Timewise, this started happening well before v 898. I'm not sure, but I don't think it occurred before v 874.

My regards

Jasper

#206 Post by Jasper »

Hi all,

Re my post immediately above:

now using v 900 update with icon hitch fixed.

Thank you Joe.

My regards

Argolance

#207 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Jasper wrote:now using v 900 update with icon hitch fixed.
All the same! :D

On the other hand, default background for desktops doesn't work anymore:
Joe's web page wrote:Background
The default background for desktops. The type attribute determines the type of background and the text contained within this tag is the value. Valid types are:

solid
A solid color. See Colors. This is the default.
gradient
A gradient color. See Colors.
A stretched image.
tile
A tiled image.
For example:

<Background type="tile">/usr/share/backgrounds/Megapolis-pattern.png</Background>
The same for other types...

Cordialement.

vicmz

#208 Post by vicmz »

Hi everyone. It seems I should've asked this here (note, by restore I mean resize):
About JWM: when I maximize a rox-filer window, it gets quickly restored as soon as I click on a folder, same for gnome mplayer, when a new video starts the window is automatically restored (doesn't fill the desktop anymore). Is it a feature? I've seen this in Quirky Tahr as well.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

zigbert

#209 Post by zigbert »

vicmz
Right-click in the Rox-filer window and go to the options. The first options set this behavior.

Sigmund

vicmz

#210 Post by vicmz »

zigbert wrote:vicmz
Right-click in the Rox-filer window and go to the options. The first options set this behavior.

Sigmund
Thank you Sigmund. I didn't know about that.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

joewing

#211 Post by joewing »

Argolance:

Backgrounds seem to be working fine for me; did png support not get compiled in perhaps?

- Joe

Argolance

#212 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Thanks for replying.

# jwm -v
JWM vgit-901 by Joe Wingbermuehle
compiled options: confirm fribidi icons jpeg nls png shape svg xbm xft xinerama xpm xrender 
:oops:
What is wrong?
Trying to find... :?

Cordialement.

SFR

#213 Post by SFR »

No probs here, either - see screenie.

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(144.32 KiB) Downloaded 1277 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Argolance

#214 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
This is my configuration file, called /root/.jwm/jwmrc-logout and punctually included inside jwmrc.personal this way:

<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-logout</Include>
Here is the jwm configuration file contents:

<JWM>

<Desktops width="1" height="1">
<Background type="gradient">#3c3c3c:#414141</Background>
</Desktops>
<WindowStyle>
	<Inactive>
		<Text>red</Text>
		<Outline>red</Outline>
	</Inactive>
</WindowStyle>
<TaskListStyle>
<Foreground>red</Foreground>
</TaskListStyle>

</JWM>
When user closes his session, titles and outlines of currently (if exist) running applications windows become red and are gathered inside a single virtual desktop (instead of 4 virtual desktops under normal circumstances). Desktop becomes blank (gradient color). This to prevent him from loosing data. User can then "Continue" or "Cancel".
What is strange is that I get windows colors (red), a single vitual desktop but not the gradient background!
This worked fine with jwm 576 release.

Any idea?

Cordialement.

Argolance

#215 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
So, I compiled jwm 905 with debug enabled and this is what I get:

DEBUG: main.c[113]: debug mode started
DEBUG: Unknown event type: 33
DEBUG: main.c[234]: debug mode stopped
DEBUG: MEMORY: no memory leaks
DEBUG: ClientMessage to unknown window (0x6000aa): _NET_WM_STATE
DEBUG: Unknown event type: 34
DEBUG: XError: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
DEBUG:    Request Code: 42 (X_SetInputFocus)
DEBUG:    Minor Code: 0
DEBUG:    Resource ID: 0x2800003
DEBUG:    Error Serial: 55984
DEBUG: CHECKPOINT LIST (oldest)
DEBUG:    event.c[110]
DEBUG:    event.c[125]
DEBUG:    grab.c[19]
DEBUG:    grab.c[20]
DEBUG: END OF CHECKPOINT LIST (most recent)
DEBUG: XError: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
DEBUG:    Request Code: 25 (X_SendEvent)
DEBUG:    Minor Code: 0
DEBUG:    Resource ID: 0x2800003
DEBUG:    Error Serial: 55985
DEBUG: CHECKPOINT LIST (oldest)
DEBUG:    grab.c[19]
DEBUG:    grab.c[20]
DEBUG: END OF CHECKPOINT LIST (most recent)
:shock:

Cordialement.

joewing

#216 Post by joewing »

Argolance:

I wouldn't worry too much about the debug output from JWM unless there is a lot of it or it happens along with something else. There are some fairly benign things that can cause JWM to report errors (for example, JWM sending a message to a window that has just gone away). I did fix the "Unknown event type" thing though (in snapshot 908).

As far as the background issue, is there another background entry somewhere else in the configuration that might be overriding the background? The way it is currently implemented, the older desktop entry will override the newer entry, which seems backwards to me. So I'm going to change it so newer entries override older entries.

- Joe

Argolance

#217 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
@joewing
:!: I noticed it is not possible (anymore) to activate any ROX panel while dragging the mouse cursor to the up or down corner of the desktop if panel is hidden by a maximized window.
is there another background entry somewhere else in the configuration that might be overriding the background?
To my knowledge, no! The new background is working but is not visible: If I set it to a flashy pink solid color, I see it during a short moment when restarting JWM.
Other thing: If Conky is running and if I remove the desktop background set by Rox, the transparent Conky system monitor window shows the pink background.

In any case something makes a mess in my running application windows that cannot be displayed while clicking on their title in the task bar (as if they were present but hidden) unless I restart JWM again.

Sorry, I don't know if this issue is particular to a personal misconfiguration somewhere or if this may generally happen to someone else in a same but "regular" situation :oops:.
The only thing I can say is that it works fine with JWM 576 with exactly the same configuration...

Question: what is the difference between reload and restart JWM?
Thank you so much!

Cordialement.

joewing

#218 Post by joewing »

Argolance:

JWM now makes maximized windows take up the full screen. It used to leave the borders, which would allow you to click behind the window despite it being fullscreen.

As far as the background thing goes, there have been changes to how JWM handles the background. It should actually play nicer with other programs now. My best guess is that you have some program (perhaps Rox?) that is setting the background. If some other program changes the background after JWM starts, JWM will leave the background alone. JWM should force the background to be redrawn if restarted though. I'll have to play with Rox to see if I can reproduce this behavior.

I'm not sure what you mean by application windows not being displayed.

"jwm -reload" will only reload the menus whereas "jwm -restart" reloads all of the configuration. The "reload" option exists to avoid the "flicker" that occurs with a restart (which can be quite annoy, especially on slower systems).

- Joe

Argolance

#219 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
... Great! :D
I'm not sure what you mean by application windows not being displayed.
About the "mess":
  • For example, I am viewing a picture with my default image viewer. After running the extra jwm configuration file (background desktop color) and back to the normal state, application window disappears (as if it were reduced to the task bar). Then, if I click and click again on the title of any opened (invisible) application inside the task bar, nothing occurs, the application window is not displayed but is duly present because while right clicking on what seems to be the desktop, I get the right click menu of the application itself (and not the usual menu that I get normally when I right click on the desktop).

Sometimes the drop-down menu of some applications, for example "File" (or any other) from Gimp (or any other) is not sensitive, or if I try to use the middle button of the mouse to zoom in or out (default image viewer), it doesn't work.
Hope this can really help and not make you waste your precious time...

Thanks!

Cordialement.

joewing

#220 Post by joewing »

It appears that rox controls the background when displaying icons on the desktop even if you don't have a background set, in which case rox will set the background to a (configurable) solid color. I don't know if there's a way to change that behavior, so I guess the easiest solution is to have rox control the background.
For example, I am viewing a picture with my default image viewer. After running the extra jwm configuration file (background desktop color) and back to the normal state, application window disappears (as if it were reduced to the task bar). Then, if I click and click again on the title of any opened (invisible) application inside the task bar, nothing occurs, the application window is not displayed but is duly present because while right clicking on what seems to be the desktop, I get the right click menu of the application itself (and not the usual menu that I get normally when I right click on the desktop).

Sometimes the drop-down menu of some applications, for example "File" (or any other) from Gimp (or any other) is not sensitive, or if I try to use the middle button of the mouse to zoom in or out (default image viewer), it doesn't work.
When you mention extra configuration, are you changing the JWM configuration file and restarting JWM? If rox is running, I wonder if the application window is somehow getting buried under the desktop window that rox creates. Could you provide a screenshot of what's happening perhaps?

- Joe