MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator

Miscellaneous tools
Les Kerf

#261 Post by Les Kerf »

smokey01 wrote:A couple of minor changes to improve useability.

The installation process invokes a file chooser so you can install immediately. Just remember, highlight the drive/partition where you wish to install, don't enter it by double clicking.

Once you have chosen your installation location, Multipup will open from it's new location.

We have also included a more visible progress indicator when copying files.

Get it here:
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... up-5.1.pet
I'm having trouble figuring out just how to install this .pet. Most pets you just click on and it installs itself. When I do this, it simply says that it failed to install.

I re-read this entire thread, and have focused on Pages 15-18 but haven't been able to glean what I need to do.

I have tried this on my Acer Aspire 7741Z laptop running a frugal Lucid 528, frugal Precise 5.4 & 5.7, and also tried on an older Dell desktop running a frugal Lucid 528 & Precise 5.7.

I tried re-downloading (four times) according to the instructions on page 17 of this thread.

I clearly am missing something; any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Les

Semme

#262 Post by Semme »

Les, read the caption of the first image here.

Les Kerf

#263 Post by Les Kerf »

Semme wrote:Les, read the caption of the first image here.
That is how I did it.
It downloads the .pet into /mnt/home and when I click on it I see the little box asking if I want to install this .pet. I click on it, and soon get another box stating that the installation failed.

I re-formatted from ext2 to ext3 with the same results.

Some of the posts almost sound as though this .pet installs itself, but I certainly don't see how.
Les

Semme

#264 Post by Semme »

If this is your dwnld: http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... 64-4.2.pet

.. and the resulting dwnld winds up with an extension other than pet, rename it with a pet extension.

If this isn't the problem, take ROX to your dwnld directory, rt-clk and hit "window" >> terminal here.

Dwnld with wget, then retry:

Code: Select all

wget http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog64-600/Multipup-FD64-4.2.pet

smokey01

#265 Post by smokey01 »

Les,

Have a look at this video I created some time ago. It's for version 5.0 but nothing much different in 5.1.

http://smokey01.com/videos/Multipup.mp4

Hope this helps.

Les Kerf wrote:
That is how I did it.
It downloads the .pet into /mnt/home and when I click on it I see the little box asking if I want to install this .pet. I click on it, and soon get another box stating that the installation failed.

Some of the posts almost sound as though this .pet installs itself, but I certainly don't see how.
Les

Les Kerf

#266 Post by Les Kerf »

smokey01 wrote:Les,

Have a look at this video I created some time ago. It's for version 5.0 but nothing much different in 5.1.

http://smokey01.com/videos/Multipup.mp4

Hope this helps.

Les Kerf wrote:
That is how I did it.

Les
Thank you for the very instructive video.

Everything seems to be fine up to the point where I click on the .pet; I get the little box asking if I want to install the .pet, I click on it to install, and get an error box stating that it failed to install.

I downloaded it several times in case it was a bad download. I do not know how to check the MD5 sum.

There is apparently something wrong with either my download, or my installation on the computer.

I will try re-formatting the hard drive into several partitions and do multiple Puppy installs to see if one of them works.

It may take a while before I get back to try this.

Thanks for the help,
Les

smokey01

#267 Post by smokey01 »

Les try downloading it again from here:
http://smokey01.com/software/Fatdog64-6 ... up-5.1.pet

I have repacked the pet with .tar.tg compression. Lucid and Precise probably could not handle .xz compression which FatDog uses by default.

Les Kerf

#268 Post by Les Kerf »

smokey01 wrote:Les what distro are you trying to install it on?
Lucid 528 on an old dell tower, 1 GB ram, 40 GB hard drive ext2 format, frugal install.

There is nothing on it that is special, so I plan to format it when I get home from work tonight (I'm on lunch break now) and make at least three partitions, then try Slacko 533 and Precise5.7 and maybe Wary 5.5.

I could also try Fatdog on an 8 GB USB thumb drive on my Acer laptop (64 bit). It has an NTFS hard drive with Win7 that I don't wish to lose (yet) so I'm not planning to re-format it to ext2.
Les

smokey01

#269 Post by smokey01 »

Les, try the new pet. I noticed you saw the message before I edited it.

Les Kerf

#270 Post by Les Kerf »

smokey01 wrote:Les, try the new pet. I noticed you saw the message before I edited it.
Will do. I will report back on the results.
Thanks for the help,
Les

Les Kerf

#271 Post by Les Kerf »

Success! :D
I just got done burning two multipup cd's that booted perfectly.
This will be a perfect method of distributing Puppy iso's to share.
Thanks for all of the help,
Les

smokey01

#272 Post by smokey01 »

Les, now that you have MultiPup working you should have a a look at BSME (Boot Splash Message Editor). This is a companion to MultiPup so you can design your own splash screens.
http://smokey01.com/software/Fatdog64-600/bsme-2.0.pet

Enjoy...... :wink:

greengeek

#273 Post by greengeek »

smokey01 wrote: look at BSME (Boot Splash Message Editor). This is a companion to MultiPup so you can design your own splash screens.
Hi smokey - is that pet for 64bit machines only?

smokey01

#274 Post by smokey01 »

greengeek wrote:
smokey01 wrote: look at BSME (Boot Splash Message Editor). This is a companion to MultiPup so you can design your own splash screens.
Hi smokey - is that pet for 64bit machines only?
No, it will work on both 32 and 64bit. It actually has binaries for both. A bit of clever coding determines which one to use.

Les Kerf

#275 Post by Les Kerf »

Smokey,
I'll give it a try.
Thanks,
Les

davids45

Multipup for USB?

#276 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Posting from a Wheezy Pup running in RAM and booted from an 8GB USB flash thumb drive set up with a Multipup-created iso.

But this has been a bit of a struggle.
I easily created the Multipup iso, once I found out what the 'Series' meant (don't use '1'! :oops: ) and where to make the iso file (on a >8GB free-space partition).

Checked the iso by burning it first to a R-W DVD then to a non-re-writable DVD as archive/spare. Very easy and nice.

But as DVD is debatably an obsolete technology, I wanted to use a USB device as a Multipup source.

Puppy Universal Installer did not like the Multipup iso but did at least create a bootable USB for me.

I did a manual copy of the mounted Multipup iso files to the USB but the USB did not boot such that I could pick a Pup nor did it display the nice splash screen that I had with the DVDs.

I used this thread ( http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 80&t=82373 ) to install Grub4Dos to the USB drive to finally get a boot menu that will let me boot to one of the USB's Pups.

In an old posting to the above thread, puppyluvr did mention he was hoping to add a USB option to Multipup.

Could this Multipup-on-a-USB be added into Multipup-5.1 at some point in the near future in an easy-to-do and explained way? And maybe explain what the 'Series' options mean for those newer to Puppy.

Thanks,

David S.

smokey01

#277 Post by smokey01 »

David I will have a look at it but I make no promises at this stage.

rcrsn51

#278 Post by rcrsn51 »

With all due respect to puppyluvr and smokey01, the simplest way to make a multi-boot USB drive is with ISObooter.

gcmartin

#279 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Davids45. (Removed original text)

Edit: Sorry David, I missed that you have already created a DVD and it boots properly

smokey01

#280 Post by smokey01 »

CatDude and I have spent considerable time adding USB functionality to MultiPup. From our testing it seems to work quite well but it could do with a bit more from others who are not so familiar with it.

I don't want to release it to the masses before more testing has been done. If you are interested in helping, please PM me and I will send you a copy/link.

Cheers