Fatdog64-630: I can't connect wlan NOR wired eth0(Solved)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jtwdyp

Fatdog64-630: I can't connect wlan NOR wired eth0(Solved)

#1 Post by jtwdyp »

I'm VERY new to Fatdog. But with a bit of help, and a little blind luck I was able to make a bootable fatdog flashdrive. BUT when I boot it I can't get it to connect to the internet via my broadband (fairpoint DSL)...

I've tried on my laptop which uses wlan0 OR wlan1 depending on which installed Linux is running. (the built in wireless adapter on my laptop has never worked. (not even with the Vista that my laptop was allegedly "designed for" So when I set-up my wireless router to provide wpa2-psk access, I had to use a usb wireless adaptor, Which works just fine in vista, And has worked well with several different Linux Distros, though I've often had to find out how to ditch the default network manager and replace it with wicd (when available) I remember that for opensuze I had to tell yast to disable network manager so that yast itself could manage my wlan connection using what it called "traditional" methods. And I know that I've never been able to configure wpa supplicant to make a wireless connection on my laptop with any of the Linux I've used on it.

I know that as long as I could supply my preshared key, neither Slacko 5.6 nor precise 5.7.1 had any trouble connecting via the "simple" connection wizard. But with fatdog, I tried both wpa_gui, and also the "Network Wizard" as is described in http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... rking.html But neither could make the connection.

So I shutdown, and moved the flashdrive to my desktop which has a wired "eth0" connection to the router which provides DHCP services. I figured I could do things like download the devx sfs file and maybe find fatdog pets for midnight commander, alpine, konsole & yakuake, to name a few...

But I don't seem to be able to even configure DHCP on eth0 via the "Network Wizard"... I must be getting stupid or something because I don't ever remember having to do much thinking to get that connection working.

Any suggestions :?:

In the mean time I guess I'll try downloading the devx sfs and an mc pet with the Precise puppy I'm running now, Then I'll save them someplace I can retrieve them with fatdog. Maybe the wpa supplicant will be more cooperative when it can take advantage of whatever's in the devx...

I mean it's worth a try.
Last edited by jtwdyp on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

prehistoric

#2 Post by prehistoric »

Just want to comment that the problem jtwdyp describes is typical of the mess you get into when things don't work out-of-the-box.

We need a better fall-back on networking.

jtwdyp

#3 Post by jtwdyp »

Update: I followed through with my plan to download the devx and a few pets with my precise puppy. Then I accessed the files from fatdog to add the pets.
Though I note in the absence of a pet for konsole or yakuake I did find one for lxterminal which makes a reasonable substitute for konsole. Is there a pop-up terminal simular to yakuake that uses lxterminal available for fatdog :?:

After I added the pets, I let fatdog create a savefile. Which would also cause the /mnt/home link to be created. I elected to save it to the same flashdrive partition my fatdog was on because I wanted the installed pets to be there no matter which machine I boot up with. But when I rebooted the resulting "fd64save.ext4" wasn't found. Should there have been a specific savefile folder, like the way Slacko puts their savefile in:

Code: Select all

/mnt/sdi2/slacko/slackosave.4fs
Anyway Thankfully there was an savefile argument builder utility in the control panel... So I was then able to load the devx sfs and was finaly ready to try to get my internet working again.

So far I've only tried on my desktop with the DHCP connection via ETH0...

I right clicked on the the wpa_gui icon, selected quit wireless, rightclicked again and selected the network wizard with which I first disabled the wpa_gui, then found the setting that told it etho was to use DHCP, told it to activate the settings, and eventualy got it to try to connect. When that didn't work, I opened a terminal and typed ifconfig. which output {if I'm reading it right} seems to indicate that eth0 IS up... But I can't get wpa supplicant to believe in it... GOSH do I wish I could ditch that in favor of wicd!
Or whatever it is that slacko 5.6 and/or precise puppy 5.7.1 are using...

[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

jtwdyp

#4 Post by jtwdyp »

jtwdyp wrote:So far I've only tried on my desktop with the DHCP connection via ETH0...

I right clicked on the the wpa_gui icon, selected quit wireless, rightclicked again and selected the network wizard with which I first disabled the wpa_gui, then found the setting that told it etho was to use DHCP, told it to activate the settings, and eventualy got it to try to connect. When that didn't work, I opened a terminal and typed ifconfig. which output {if I'm reading it right} seems to indicate that eth0 IS up... But I can't get wpa supplicant to believe in it... GOSH do I wish I could ditch that in favor of wicd!
Or whatever it is that slacko 5.6 and/or precise puppy 5.7.1 are using...
Well at least the wpa_gui got better. I can now use it to get my wireless connection working on the laptop...

But that don't do my desktop any good. It don't have a wireless adapter...
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

jtwdyp

#5 Post by jtwdyp »

jtwdyp wrote:Well at least the wpa_gui got better. I can now use it to get my wireless connection working on the laptop...

But that don't do my desktop any good. It don't have a wireless adapter...
After much googleing I found a simple if inelegant solution to the eth0 problem...
/etc/network/interfaces wrote:

# Configure Loopback
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
followed by:

~ 
UnderTree=-> killall wpa_supplicant
killall: wpa_supplicant: no process killed
 ~ 
UnderTree=-> ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:15:F2:D5:76:F5  
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:7091 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:425460 (415.4 KiB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:1232 (1.2 KiB)  TX bytes:1232 (1.2 KiB)

~ 
UnderTree=-> ifup eth0
udhcpc (v1.22.0.git) started
Setting IP address 0.0.0.0 on eth0
Sending discover...
Sending select for 192.168.1.22...
Lease of 192.168.1.22 obtained, lease time 86400
Setting IP address 192.168.1.22 on eth0
Deleting routers
SIOCDELRT: No such process
Adding router 192.168.1.1
Recreating /etc/resolv.conf
 Adding DNS server 192.168.1.1
 ~ 
UnderTree=-> 
Problem solved:

Use wpa_gui for wireless... And a root script to execute the above when I'm on a wired Ethernet connected PC...
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

you have found the reason WHY I did the fat32 EFI copy files methods.... the save file info must be set up at the boot kernel loader level... But with dd or burned to disk you must type it in by hand each time you boot.. otherwise its like starting from ground zero. Or you must remaster iso and force those changes and re dd usb.. which causes a loss of extra space once again. And if you got setting wrong it will take about another hour on my slow 64bit machine to remaster and dd again.
forget that.... I am an explorer and that method is just too limiting.