trouble with roaring penguin under 2.11

Booting, installing, newbie
vientito

trouble with roaring penguin under 2.11

#1 Post by vientito »

this may have been dealt with before but i will pose the symptoms to see if anyone has any idea what i should do.

try to demonstrate puppy on a friend's laptop. booted fine and tried setting up internet connection. got stuck there. I could manage to input all necessary info for roaring penguin for her PPPOE modem. I got indications that there was indeed a live connection. with ifconfig i could see ppp and eth0 interface up and no errors packets on both interface. modem light blinked when i tried to perform a ping. But ping did not give me back any packets. I even tried pinging locally on 127.0.0.1 but nothing comes back even at my local interface. That seemed to indicate a system issue unrelated to PPPOE connection. However i am not at sure, if version 2.11 in fact has certain issue or simply i set up something faulty.

with network setup under setup, i tested my eth0 it said fine indeed. at this junction, nothing made much sense to me because i obviously got an pppoe connection while not able to communicate with it with my system. I am at a loss and hence i pose to see if anyone could give me useful suggestion

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

i connect using RP on Puppy 211 ... it seems to work ok (except the RP-pppoe window will allocate more and more memory, so you can't leave the window up)

in the RP-pppoe Options tab, do you have Firewalling set to None? ... i don't think it will work if you set it to Stand-Alone or Masquerading ... though i think Stand-Alone will work if you set the execute permissions on /etc/ppp/firewall-standalone

there is a more powerful firewall in the Start, Setup, Wizards menu

my settings are:

NIC and DNS tab:

Ethernet Interface: eth0
DNS Setup: from server
Primary DNS: blank
Secondary DNS: blank

Options Tab:

Use Synchronous ppp: enabled
Firewalling: None

Use Synchronous ppp may have to be enabled or disabled, depending on the hardware, you will probably need to experiment ... if it works with it enabled, it should work a little better that way

vientito

#3 Post by vientito »

firewall set to none cos i am always paranoid of it interfering with connection. synchronous PPP disabled cos it's giving bunch of error packets under ifconfig.

rp-pppoe set up route table accordingly?
i have 3 entries in the route table

i read somewhere that you have to let rp-pppoe set up eth0 interface itself. also the default route has to be empty before its running. I am gonna check on these next time i got hands on her laptop.

I felt so powerless since i thought it would be such a breeze to get it to connect on first run. How mistaken was i!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

yes, RP should setup everything and connect

you can type ifconfig after Puppy boots ... lo should be there, but not eth0 or ppp0, something like this:

Code: Select all

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
if there's an eth0 section, you could type ifconfig eth0 down ... then connect using RP ... after RP connects, ifconfig should show the lo, eth0, and ppp0 interfaces ... typing route should show whether the default gateway was set properly

and the dns nameservers should have been configured in /etc/resolv.conf

when RP is used to connect, the Ethernet Wizard should not be used ... RP should do all the work

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

of course, different isps may be setup differently

for example, the adsl modem might have a built in router, in which case, RP would not work ... you would probably just click the AutoDHCP button in the network wizard to connect

or it might have a bridge connection, and it might require that the ethernet card has a certain MAC address ... etc etc