Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sindi

Up arrow loads mtpaint fixed; pcmcia not usable here

#661 Post by sindi »

tommy wrote:Sindi, I have had the 'up arrow opens mtPaint' issue.
Look here for the solution provided by MikeMT.
Delete the line about key 111 invoking mtpaint in /root/.jwm/jwm-personal and up arrow works properly!

Xorg uses 53% of 512MB RAM on a 1998 computer, most of it cache but Xvesa still uses less.
As for Orinoco Pcmcia, I use a Orinoco silver Lucent pcmcia in an old Acer 355 notebook using puppy 2.01r2 barebones. I have to do this to initialize it: open a console and
-modprobe i82365 (your notebook might have different pcmcia chip and need different module)
-cardctl reset 0 (if pcmcia is in slot 0, else do a cardctl reset 1)
-cardmgr (to initialise pcmcia)

Then you can iwconfig and dhcpcd your wifi interface.

Pcmcia works properly on the 1998 Omnibook 5500CT in both basiclinux (kernel 2.4.31) and Puppy 1.07 (kernel 2.4.29).
Both have cardctl and cardmgr and OSS sound.

Turbopup's kernel 2.6.25.16 may be too new for this hardware. Turbopup can tell there is a card in the slot but not
identify it. I could insmod i82092 rather than the i82365 (which works in Basiclinux) but there is no cardmgr - what
does Turbopup use instead?

Some time this week the Omnibook stopped working even in Basiclinux with the Orinoco card, which had worked perfectly,
but still works with a 3c589 wired card. (And for a while q and a, w and z, were interchanged - ???).
I will play with your fix in Puppy 1 and Basiclinux.

OSS sound (Puppy 1.07) is usable for a while but will suddenly stop working. Power off and on to fix it.
I have to pull the battery and power plug to fully power off.

I can experiment with ALSA sound in 1.09 or 2. I did not know Puppy 2 still uses cardcttl not pccardctl.

Can you recommend a particularly Puppy 2 version? Ttuuxxx's 2.14 is supposedly most up-to-date.
What kernel version is used in Puppy 2?

Turbopup is probably too new for this hardware. Works fine on something 2 years newer (1998).

tommy

#662 Post by tommy »

sindi wrote:
Delete the line about key 111 invoking mtpaint in /root/.jwm/jwm-personal and up arrow works properly!
I'm glad to read this!! :D
I could insmod i82092 rather than the i82365 (which works in Basiclinux) but there is no cardmgr - what does Turbopup use instead?
I don't know if there is a cardmgr support in Turbopup, sorry! :oops:
What kernel version is used in Puppy 2?
Puppy 2.01 and 2.02 use kernel 2.6.16.7 and use ALSA. BarryK wrote here :
Puppy 2.02 and 2.10 use the same kernel, version 2.6.16.7. Puppy 2.01 and earlier also have a 2.6.16.7 kernel but it is compiled with different configure options so the modules are not compatible. These versions only require one patch, for squashfs. Puppy 2.12 has kernel 2.6.18.1 and has three patches; squashfs, default console loglevel and via shutdown fix.
sindi wrote:
Can you recommend a particularly Puppy 2 version?

This can vary a lot. On older and low ram PCs I use barebones 2.01r2 (find it .
here ) . You can also try full 2.02 or newer 2.13 - 2.16 (this with newer kernel). I also use Turbopup and PuLP. PuLP can boot on 24MB ram and no swap! ttuxxxx 2.14X is up-to-date but needs a lot of ram in my opinion so use it with at least 256 MB ram + swap.
In general I don't use puppy 1.08 and older because they need more RAM to boot than puppy 2.x needs. It is true, however, that once booted, 1.08 is faster in opening programs (maybe cramfs compression is different from sfs?).

If you're happy with old puppy 1.x or 2.x you can find old packages at:
http://dotpups.de

Have fun! :)

sindi

Puppy 2.10 onebone works on Omnibook 5500CT

#663 Post by sindi »

Boot puppy 2.10 (and probably other puppy 2's) with loadlin from fat32

Put the .sfs file in c:\ (root directory - or probably it would work in
ext2 hda2 or hda3 as well - the boot program looks there also on hdc).
Put vmlinuz and initrd.gz any place in c: (ext2).
Get loadlin.exe and put it with these last two and cd there.
Loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 ro

Onebone 2.10 boots to a help file displayed with elinks. There is also
text browser netrik. No X. Lots of modules. It automatically loaded
rsrc_nonstatic and pd6729. Also yenta-socket (I thought that was only
for cardbus which this computer does not have) and irda and parport and
cdrom modules (the CD-ROM drive is not currently inserted because it
swaps with floppy drive).

There is nothing graphical and I don't know what the network setup
wizard would be called.

In Basiclinux orinoco wireless card is no longer recognized but the
3c589 wired card is, and works.
In Puppy 1.07 both cards were working but now only wireless card works,
and the keyboard has gone screwy - a for q, q for a, w and z
interchanged (in both X and terminal), ,./'; and numbers all wrong).
OSS sound works in both of these. 1.07 is the last with OSS.

In Turbopup no cards are recognized at all, with network wizard.
ALSA sound works.

In Puppy 2.10 I only had to
ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.2
route add default gw 192.168.2.1
edit resolv.conf to add
nameserver 8.8.8.8

I then got an error message about a cable and have no signal but maybe
the other end got unplugged.

ifconfig eth1 192.0.2.2
route add default gw 192.0.2.1
ping 8.8.8.8 - works.

I want to use this as an internet radio. I have a working mplayer for
p54c (Pentium I no MMX) with required libraries.

For OSS sound I just insmod a bunch of modules (ad1848, uart401, opl3,
v_midi) ending with cs4232 io=0x0534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=3

Puppy 1.08 and later use ALSA. ALSA worked here in Turbopup but pcmcia
was broken.

I typed alsaconf
Building card database.....
No pci or pnp card found. Would you like to probe legacy cards....
cs4231 and cs4236 selected (for cs4232 in OSS)
'No legacy cards found'.

Can I tell ALSA manually what module to use and with what parameters
or must I edit configuration files?

Sound worked in 1.07 and 4.2.

I can examine how Turbopup set up ALSA sound and copy that, or check
Pulp (4.1.2) to see if sound already works and pcmcia still works.

2.10 loaded the framebuffer modules for me without me asking, and also
made four extra real terminals with password Enter key. Lovely.
I would prefer some Puppy 2 on here.

Thanks for all the support. This forum is great!

greengeek

Re: Puppy 2.10 onebone works on Omnibook 5500CT

#664 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:In Turbopup no cards are recognized at all, with network wizard.
That seems surprising - I have found Turbopup quite good with my pcmcia cards. Do you get the same problem if you boot with the pcmcia cards inserted, as when you push them in AFTER boot?

I think some of the background autodetection daemons (dont know what else to call them...) are turned off in Turbopup.

Also - do you have any control in the bios for pcmcia type? I find I have to change the setting for different puppies (especially have to turn off 'auto' sometimes and set to 'pccard / 16 bit' - can't remember what the third choice was...)

sindi

Re: Puppy 2.10 onebone works on Omnibook 5500CT

#665 Post by sindi »

greengeek wrote:
sindi wrote:In Turbopup no cards are recognized at all, with network wizard.
That seems surprising - I have found Turbopup quite good with my pcmcia cards. Do you get the same problem if you boot
with the pcmcia cards inserted, as when you push them in AFTER boot?

I think some of the background autodetection daemons (dont know what else to call them...) are turned off in Turbopup.

Also - do you have any control in the bios for pcmcia type? I find I have to change the setting for different puppies
(especially have to turn off 'auto' sometimes and set to 'pccard / 16 bit' - can't remember what the third choice
was...)
I have been leaving in both wired (3c589) and wireless (orinoco) cards all the time now.
Something went wrong recently with pcmcia (it works in less linuxes) and keyboard (in puppy 1)
and with the 3c589 card, which no longer connects - dongle may have broken again.

Basiclinux used to detect both but now detects only the wired car and won't connect with either.

(I can test with an aironet wireless card, and a pcnet wired card).

Puppy 2 detects both cards and connects wirelessly, without inserting either of the i82* pcmcia modules.

Turbopup has never detected either card. Maybe the turbopup kernel is too new and turbopup does not have the correct
modules?

The setting pccard/16 bit is I think for early cardbus computers (about 233MHz) - not this one.

Pulp would not mount -o loop for me on that computer - could it be the hardware too?
I will try to transfer it via a working wired card (easier than burning a CD and reinstalling SBM).

greengeek

#666 Post by greengeek »

I just want to mention a problem I encountered yesterday - I was using Turbopup to try and get enough speed / power into an old laptop (AMD K6-2, 450Mhz, 192MB ram) and found that it worked really well - except that it would crash the browser when viewing youtube.

Naturally I thought the cpu must be not quite powerful enough (which surprised me) but in fact this is not an issue with cpu speed at all - if I started the browser via a terminal I could see that the crash was related to an "illegal instruction" error and Monsies post here suggests that such problems are caused by cpu features not speed.

My conclusion is that Turbopup is happy to run on some older hardware that lacks certain cpu features but the inbuilt seamonkey browser may have been compiled in such a way that it does require those missing cpu features. Just because the operating system runs well does not mean that the cpu is adequate for all the other tasks you want to use it for. So trimming the OS to get speed is not the whole equation for getting Youtube to run. (I suspect I have spent many hours in the past chasing my tail over this...) :-)

sindi

Youtube on AMD-K6 laptops; Basiclinux on 1996 hardware

#667 Post by sindi »

First the internet radio project:
Our ethernet cable to the switch was damaged. Basiclinux and presumably Puppy 1 are now both usable as radios with OSS sound.
Puppy 1 is bootable with wakepup (slowly, paying attention).

Pulp did not find pcmcia cards either. Rather than burn CDs of Puppy 2.11-2.17 I will use Basiclinux here and play with
Puppy 2 and Turbopup on newer hardware. Pulp works on the 1998 Trek 2 which crashes Puppy 2.10 during boot, so presumably
will Turbopup. I will look for framebuffer modules in 4.12 non-retro and/or 4.20.
greengeek wrote:I just want to mention a problem I encountered yesterday - I was using Turbopup to try and get enough speed / power into an old laptop (AMD K6-2, 450Mhz, 192MB ram) and found that it worked really well - except that it would crash the browser when viewing youtube.

Naturally I thought the cpu must be not quite powerful enough (which surprised me) but in fact this is not an issue with cpu speed at all - if I started the browser via a terminal I could see that the crash was related to an "illegal instruction" error and Monsies post here suggests that such problems are caused by cpu features not speed.

My conclusion is that Turbopup is happy to run on some older hardware that lacks certain cpu features but the inbuilt seamonkey browser may have been compiled in such a way that it does require those missing cpu features. Just because the operating system runs well does not mean that the cpu is adequate for all the other tasks you want to use it for. So trimming the OS to get speed is not the whole equation for getting Youtube to run. (I suspect I have spent many hours in the past chasing my tail over this...) :-)
I have a 475MHz AMD K-6 with the same memory. I play youtube videos as flvs on a 233MHz with 96MB RAM, by downloading with standalone youtube-dl and will experiment with that setup on the 475MHz. Mplayer plays radio on there.
mplayer or xine can play the file as it is downloading, and uses only about 40% of the cpu on the 233MHz to play a 240p flv. A faster computer will play mp4s at 360p.

sindi

turbopup vs puppy 2 pcmcia problem

#668 Post by sindi »

Puppy 2 loads rsrc_nonstatic and pd6729 and yenta_socket (despite there being no cardbus hardware).
Basiclinux and Turbopup and Pulp load pcmcia_core, i82365 and ds.
Puppy 2 and Basiclinux both work, the others can't find any cards.
(I forget what Puppy 1 does to find the cards.)

greengeek

#669 Post by greengeek »

I wonder if those differences are driven by the kernel itself or other configuration factors within the puppies?

sindi

puppy and amd-k6 laptops

#670 Post by sindi »

greengeek wrote:I wonder if those differences are driven by the kernel itself or other configuration factors within the puppies?
I am typing with pulp on a Compaq Presario 1200 475MHz. Glibc 2.6 (not upgraded).
Opera 9 works, barely, in frugal install (swapping to swapfile a lot). Seamonkey 2 segfaults.
Wary 5.5 won't boot on an HP AMD-K7 1GHz - segfaults.

I watch youtube on 233MHz computers with standalone youtube-dl (first update puppy 4 to glibc 2.7) or
movgrab (tested working in Pulp).

Puppy 4.32 I think has newer glibc but three video players all produced blank (black or blue) screens,
with good sound. You can update with a deb package and deb-pkg -x filename.deb / (see forum).
Opera 12.11 needs newer glibc but won't work here anyway.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/movgrab-pup4.

chmod +x, cp movgrab /usr/local/bin

movgrab --help

Choose 3gp 144p, flv or mp4 240p, mp4 360p - over 360p no longer works without
the latest mplayer etc because they have split up the audio and video).

movgrab -t flv -o /mnt/home/download/filename.flv http://youtube.com/watch?v.....
(do a search for subjects of interest and copy the URL to above line).
400MHz should handle 360p (233MHz did not - sound out of sync).

mplayer (puppy 4 packages) plays 240p fls with 19% of my cpu power

mplayer filename.flv
options -framedrop or -hardframedrop if 'your computer is too slow'

Keyboard control of volume, forward and backward, full-screen...

You can quit X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and use mplayer in a terminal with framebuffer support.
Works in pulp, have not tried turbopup. (I prefer to call my hard drives hda not sda).

360p mp4 downloads in 1/4 the time it takes to play, and you can start playing a partial download for
'streaming video'. Only drawback is having to copy over the URLs from browser output. No long wait
for Youtube to load all its ads and thumbnails.

Opera 9 uses 95% of cpu without youtube (no flash plugin loaded), and X uses more. It keeps stalling.
links2 -g uses far less cpu and memory.

Colonel Panic

Re: puppy and amd-k6 laptops

#671 Post by Colonel Panic »

sindi wrote:
greengeek wrote:I wonder if those differences are driven by the kernel itself or other configuration factors within the puppies?
I am typing with pulp on a Compaq Presario 1200 475MHz. Glibc 2.6 (not upgraded).
Opera 9 works, barely, in frugal install (swapping to swapfile a lot). Seamonkey 2 segfaults.
Wary 5.5 won't boot on an HP AMD-K7 1GHz - segfaults.

I watch youtube on 233MHz computers with standalone youtube-dl (first update puppy 4 to glibc 2.7) or
movgrab (tested working in Pulp).

Puppy 4.32 I think has newer glibc but three video players all produced blank (black or blue) screens,
with good sound. You can update with a deb package and deb-pkg -x filename.deb / (see forum).
Opera 12.11 needs newer glibc but won't work here anyway.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/movgrab-pup4.

chmod +x, cp movgrab /usr/local/bin

movgrab --help

Choose 3gp 144p, flv or mp4 240p, mp4 360p - over 360p no longer works without
the latest mplayer etc because they have split up the audio and video).

movgrab -t flv -o /mnt/home/download/filename.flv http://youtube.com/watch?v.....
(do a search for subjects of interest and copy the URL to above line).
400MHz should handle 360p (233MHz did not - sound out of sync).

mplayer (puppy 4 packages) plays 240p fls with 19% of my cpu power

mplayer filename.flv
options -framedrop or -hardframedrop if 'your computer is too slow'

Keyboard control of volume, forward and backward, full-screen...

You can quit X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and use mplayer in a terminal with framebuffer support.
Works in pulp, have not tried turbopup. (I prefer to call my hard drives hda not sda).

360p mp4 downloads in 1/4 the time it takes to play, and you can start playing a partial download for
'streaming video'. Only drawback is having to copy over the URLs from browser output. No long wait
for Youtube to load all its ads and thumbnails.

Opera 9 uses 95% of cpu without youtube (no flash plugin loaded), and X uses more. It keeps stalling.
links2 -g uses far less cpu and memory.
Thanks for the reminder about links2, I'm installing it now.

Best,

- CP.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

sindi

framebuffer modules for turbopup

#672 Post by sindi »

Turbopup did not omit fbcon - neither 4.12 nor 4.21 of the same kernel
have it. (I just did two long slow downloads). Someone provided a pet
for Pulp03 kernel 2.6.21.7 - can I copy ALL the modules to turbopup from
pulp03 and boot with that kernel to use turbopup with framebuffer
console?

Puppy 2.10 onebone has fbcon - it must have been dropped for a while
since 4.3.1 and Wary 5.5 both have it.

labbe5

limitation on usage

#673 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

I got interested about Turbopup for using it with USB flash drive, hoping for a good performance. All USB flash drives i use are not fast, so performance is limited. Therefore, i decided to try this OS of yours : Turbopup.
What i found was a disappointing outdated browser. Everything else works fine, in the true spirit of Puppy, except for my browsing experience.
Maybe you could provide a Service Pack to update the browser. What i learned going on the web with Turbopup is that too much change happened on the web for it to be useful, at least for now, until there is a way to update any browser. Only the most basic sites are available. What i have got was : Sorry your browser is outdated. Please update your brower. Or some items were not available, such as download capabilities. Transmission too was having trouble. All in all, a relatively disappointing experience, for the lack of a good browser, but for apps not dependant on the web, they are usable.

starhawk

#674 Post by starhawk »

labbe5, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The developer of TurboPup, synth, has long since logged off for what apparently was the last time.

He ain't comin' back... so whatever you can McGuyver together to get yourself a better browser is probably the best that's going to happen.

I've tried to work with TurboPup, but it's very difficult... synth was a smart fellow... I'm not as smart so I can't figure out what he did well enough to make it dance. It just kinda falls apart when you tinker with it.

I know that forum member greengeek has been trying to coax TurboPup into being a little more modern, but he hasn't gotten it to work yet...

Best recommendation: forget TurboPup, at least for now, and post a "what puppy would be good for me" thread in Beginner's Help, with a clear description of your hardware and what you want to do with it.

In any case: good luck!

sindi

Re: limitation on usage

#675 Post by sindi »

labbe5 wrote:Hi,

Maybe you could provide a Service Pack to update the browser. What i learned going on the web with Turbopup is that too much change happened on the web for it to be useful, at least for now, until there is a way to update any browser. Only the most basic sites are available. What i have got was : Sorry your browser is outdated. Please update your brower. Or some items were not available, such as download capabilities. Transmission too was having trouble. All in all, a relatively disappointing experience, for the lack of a good browser, but for apps not dependant on the web, they are usable.
[/quote]

I use Turbopup (puppy 4.2) and Pulp (puppy 4.1.2) with Opera 12.16 and Firefox 17.
Pulp works better for me on my older hardware (1996-2003). They both use minimal memory.
How much memory does your computer have? With 512MB you could try a much newer Puppy that has a more recent version of Firefox, Seamonkey, or Opera. But it will eventually get outdated.

To update Opera past 12.9 (maybe Firefox) you need to update glibc to at least 2.8. I downloaded
2.11.3 glibc from Debian as a .deb package. dpk-deb -x packagename.deb /
There is a puppy discussion some place including the package.
The newer glibc will let you use some packages from newer puppies.

Then download Opera to some place outside the file system, such as
/mnt/home/browsers. Unpack it manually with tar, then run it from
that location. cd /mnt/home/browsers/opera-12* and ./opera.
You can make a script and add it to the menu in .jwmrc.

Do the same for Firefox 17. Newer Firefoxes are missing some piece(s).

Opera in pulp needs some libraries from a fairly recent Seamonkey or Firefox.
ldd opera (the binary) will list what is missing.
Put a Flash 10.2 or 10.3 or 11.x in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (extract it from the linux flash package with tar).

Either copy the missing libraries to /usr/lib or add their location to the path in /etc/profile. Ask for help if you don't know how
to do some of this. Or look in the forum for a discussion of how to update opera
and firefox with pet packages after increasing the size of your save file.

You can update other programs similarly.

Keef

#676 Post by Keef »

sindi

For framebuffer support in Turbopup, I just borrowed the vmlinuz from Akita - the one from pupngo should work also.

Colonel Panic

#677 Post by Colonel Panic »

labbe5 wrote:Hi,

I got interested about Turbopup for using it with USB flash drive, hoping for a good performance. All USB flash drives i use are not fast, so performance is limited. Therefore, i decided to try this OS of yours : Turbopup.
What i found was a disappointing outdated browser. Everything else works fine, in the true spirit of Puppy, except for my browsing experience.
I agree totally, the browser is just not up to it now and that is why sadly I don't feel I can use TurboPup for anything useful, despite my now being in a position when a lean and economical Puppy, such as TurboPup always was, would suit me down to the ground.

I will say one thing; I really liked the IceWM themes which came with TurboPup Extreme (Sand, Odilite etc.). Are they available separately?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

James C

#678 Post by James C »

Colonel Panic wrote: I will say one thing; I really liked the IceWM themes which came with TurboPup Extreme (Sand, Odilite etc.). Are they available separately?
Here are the themes from Turbopup Extreme..... Bluemat,BRdelite,Citrus,Odelite and Sand.
Just unzip and place the individual folders in /usr/share/icewm/themes/.

All i did was zip them up but the usual disclaimer applies....your mileage may vary,no warranty expressed or implied and all the other legal mumbo-jumbo. :)
Attachments
icewm_themes.tar.gz
(108.83 KiB) Downloaded 529 times

Colonel Panic

#679 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, I'm downloading them now,

Cheers,

CP .

Colonel Panic

#680 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just a further thought; installing Opera in TurboPup seems to be a good move. I don't know about later ones but Opera 11 works well in Turbo Extreme (I installed the 11.11 pet) and provides the functionality that you miss when you use Seamonkey with Javascript disabled.

That having been said, I have to say too that for those sites where Seamonkey sans Javascript is viable, I've come to greatly appreciate the fact that pages now load quickly and quietly. It's a reminder of how much junk web designers now see fit to load onto pages.