Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#81 Post by Ted Dog »

got the name wrong fslint needed python.. I booted and checked my shell history its dupfgui that worked and does not have many outside requirements.

prehistoric

#82 Post by prehistoric »

More weirdness with CUPS and Firefox. I've been careful to avoid old save files in moving into Fatdog 630. This hasn't protected me from a problem when I try to use CUPS to install a printer. I keep getting "Internal Server Error".

Going back to the DVD, and booting with no save file, allows me to install the printer using the Samsung FD600 driver.

If nobody has a suggestion, I'm going to start yet another installation and see if I can migrate my mail, bookmarks, etc. without clobbering it.

Other comment: my ISP had problems last night, and this meant I spent time with WPAGUI. This is not a good way to deal with networking bugs. It is convenient when it just works, and you can ignore it. It is a pain when things are not working. I still want a visual indication of connectivity.

Ted Dog

#83 Post by Ted Dog »

Ted Dog

#84 Post by Ted Dog »

prehistoric. you may wish to try multisession mode on harddrive. That is what I do from a frugal flashdrive setup. It allows you to make changes and simply delete the session to rollback. Saves time reseting environment..

I modified the grub config to default to multisession mode. Really wish I could select usb or removable hardrive by GUID they fixed the bug that let me do that on earlier Fatdog64 with a mangled savefile string I was able to even place them in subdirectories but someone FIXED that as well...
So much for multisession progress... :lol: orpan redhead stepchild of the savefile world..

Sage

#85 Post by Sage »

rootfstype=ramfs
Very many thanks, jb.
Might this be included in an F2 list as per regular puppies? Too much for a non-IT guy to remember!

Ted Dog

#86 Post by Ted Dog »

oh while talking about compiling stuff there are great improvements with the ReEfint bootloader I uncovered while duplicating booting on MiniMac. It can boot kernels and initrd directly now so no need for GRUB2 in that role.. that should shave off 5 to 6 M

smokey01

#87 Post by smokey01 »

prehistoric wrote:More weirdness with CUPS and Firefox. I've been careful to avoid old save files in moving into Fatdog 630. This hasn't protected me from a problem when I try to use CUPS to install a printer. I keep getting "Internal Server Error".
The CUPS Internal Server Error is usually caused by incorrect permissions. I recently made a huge large SFS file with about 44 packaged and many files and directories had the wrong permissions. Although most packages might run it will break cups. Make sure the Group and Owner is correct too as CUPS is very particular.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 964#520964

Ted Dog

#88 Post by Ted Dog »

new nv driver works for me.. just slightly more CPU usages before tweaking stuff. So its a good start. dropped CPU to half running at 21 after proprietary drivers 3xtreme settings can possibly drop to around 11.. my personal best tweek ( but wi dows overlaying tears )

Any idea why the wallpaper mode of fullscreen VLC does not work. Is there a way to drop regular wallpaper if its not truely a zero level. Nathans wallpaper setter did this as well is fatdog64 based on that older code?

having fun will try the unwrapped large initrd command posted above before making a Bluray multisession version with NV driver.

prehistoric

#89 Post by prehistoric »

Smokey, your suggestion sounds right, but I'm at a loss to explain how this works in the system booted off DVD, but fails in the installed system. Where did the permissions get changed, and on what?

I'll be switching between installations until I locate the problem more precisely.

Fortunately, it is simply a matter of editing my multiboot configuration to make switching simple.

Added: as soon as I set things up for a long battle, the problem became obvious. It originates with the google-chrome sfs, even if you are not using it at the time. Simply having that sfs loaded screws up CUPS.

Ted Dog

#90 Post by Ted Dog »

found a way to place a fatdog64 in multisession mode without booting in that mode... However I will only share how via PM with a promise not to tell kirk or JamesBond. They are fixing all my workout methods as bugs :(

smokey01

#91 Post by smokey01 »

prehistoric wrote:Smokey, your suggestion sounds right, but I'm at a loss to explain how this works in the system booted off DVD, but fails in the installed system. Where did the permissions get changed, and on what?

I'll be switching between installations until I locate the problem more precisely.

Fortunately, it is simply a matter of editing my multiboot configuration to make switching simple.

Added: as soon as I set things up for a long battle, the problem became obvious. It originates with the google-chrome sfs, even if you are not using it at the time. Simply having that sfs loaded screws up CUPS.
From what I think I understand, when you boot from a clean DVD cups works fine. When you load the SFS, cups stops working although you may still be operating live. The contents of the sfs permissions seem to overwrite those in memory. Once you unload the sfs, all is good again. Is this your situation?

neerajkolte

#92 Post by neerajkolte »

jamesbond wrote:Tell me which part seems to take the longest - my guess is the bootloader portion (syslinux/grub), that is, before you see the words "decompressing kernel".

If it is, then you can use a small initrd. There are official and unofficial ways to create small initrd (use fatdog-split-initrd command); if you want the smallest and fastest you need to use the official way; otherwise you can use the unofficial way as below:
- after you boot, find your initrd using Rox, and then (double-)click to open it.
- move fd64-630.sfs to the root of your boot disk
- repack initrd
- in your bootloader command line, add these magic incantations: "waitdev=5 basesfs=local"

Otherwise tell us where is the time the system spent the most during booting.
You guessed it right, I sat with stopwatch and found my initrd was taking 25 sec to decompress (this time complete boot took 31sec.)
Now I have created my bootable usb using Fatdog installer in control panel with small initrd option checked.
Voila my system booted in 11sec flat.
Now I have 3 queries and 1problem.

Q1. I couldn't find fatdog-split-initrd command you told me to use. I dont need it now but just to know...

Q2.
I have my save file on my harddisk (sda3). so it used to mount locked (as used by system). But since I made my initrd small my usb stick (sdb) is also mounted locked as fd64-630.sfs is on it.
is it possible to move it to my sda3 and give "waitdev=5 basesfs=/dev/sda3".

Bythe way now I am not getting flash screen while booting, just

"Type "fatdog" with kernel parameters, or just press Enter for default boot.
boot:"
and "waitdev=5 basesfs=local" seems to be included in default boot if I only press enter. Is there any way I could edit default option.

It's not a neccesity just checking if I coud do it.

Q3. I used "dd if=/ausf/devsave/fd64-630.iso of=/dev/sdb" to make my 1gb bootable usb stick. It was working great but windows could only see usb as 9.7 mb. In fatdogs gparted tool it says something about dev partition or something faulty and needs repair. It offers to fix it but then all data on usb is gone. Is there some argument missing in dd I used, which would make bootable usb but still keep remaining empty usb usable to store data.

Problem:
I have installed imlib2 and wbar given by smokey01, but since then I could not launch Firefox from desktop icon or from menu. But I could launch it from terminal. I removed both one by one restarting Xserver in between but no joy eachtime. Deleted savefile n rebooted Firefox works again. What should I do..

eternal-sunshine

#93 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Just come back to Puppy after a while away. I like the look of Fatdog64-630 but cant find the usual Puppy Universal Installer in Setup to do a frugal install. In fact there is no Setup menu on the left side and right clicking the desktop gives me Setup which is empty. So is Desktop.
I checked the MD5 of my download and it's correct.
The FAQ says the PUI should be in Setup.
Help please.

Ted Dog

#94 Post by Ted Dog »

@neerajkolte

thanks for reporting back about your setup. If you have a newer win8 model there are other ways to answer but Ill assume not and answer some of Q.
waitdev=5 basesfs=local change local to harddrive like sda3 etc. match the letters on the icon used for harddrive storage and copy SFS there as well.

.double check usr/share/doc/faqs/boot-options.html

local:sda3

to reclaim lost space on usb drive use fix-usb.sh from orginal fatdog64-630 iso. I do not recall if that makes it on remasters.

windows sees the EFI partition and can't figure rest of fatdog64 setup.fix-usb.sh will fix the rest of the drive.

Ted Dog

#95 Post by Ted Dog »

btw Im rebuilting remaster and multisession code.. ok no big changes just speeding up process and adding a few more options..

what is planned.

saving options addition

[ save speed ] [save space][ save nothing]

instead of do nothing OK button. on session save.

also adding remaster speed or space options
change to default of small intrd.
bulk up isolinux.cfg to everything and the Out house sink on remaster. could use some help making sub menus with isolinux.cfg current line count is nearly 25 options and growing...fast

smokey01

#96 Post by smokey01 »

neerajkolte wrote:
Problem:
I have installed imlib2 and wbar given by smokey01, but since then I could not launch Firefox from desktop icon or from menu. But I could launch it from terminal. I removed both one by one restarting Xserver in between but no joy eachtime. Deleted savefile n rebooted Firefox works again. What should I do..
neerajkolte I have noticed some problems with permission in some of my packages which may have affected firefox running under spot.

From a terminal running firefox may work but firefox-spot probably doesn't.

Download the two files again from my site as I have now fixed them and all the others.
http://smokey01.com/software/Fatdog64-6 ... x86_64.pet
http://smokey01.com/software/Fatdog64-6 ... x86_64.pet

You will likely have to correct the permissions on your directories and files in your system. This can be a bit tedious so It would be easier to create a new savefile.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jim1911

Bibletime

#97 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Kirk and James,

Your latest Fatdog64-630 is working great, however my favorite program, Bibletime, has numerous updates since your last update of it. Please consider updating it for Fatdog64-630. We Bibletime users really appreciate your continued support for this fine program with your great operating system.
Bibletime web site wrote:The BibleTime team is proud to announce the immediate availability of BibleTime version 2.10.0, which is the first release in the stable 2.10 series of BibleTime.

Notable changes since 2.9.2:

Enhancements:
Uses Sword library version 1.7.
Changed source code archive format from .tar.bz2 to .tar.xz (~40% size reduction).
Added Find context menu for search within each window. Matching words are highlighted and navigated using next or previous buttons.
Added support for HTTP, HTTPS, SFTP transports in BibleTime.
Implemented saving of font family and size in HTML commentary editor.
Bugs fixed:
Fixed problem where certain alternate versification bibles did not display old testament.
Fixed Windows Control Panel version was to be correct.
Fixed search analysis save dialog filters.
Fixed search analysis save asking for overwrite confirmation twice.
Optimized and enhanced search analysis to output proper XHTML.
Fixed widget ending up disabled after removing install source.
Mag Window uses current module if no default cross reference is set.
Fixed a bug in the HTML commentary editor which resulted in text formatting from the cursor to be applied to the whole selection.
Allow comboxboxes on config dialog desk page to resize.
Fixed some lexicons never working.
Fixed high stack memory usage on indexing.
Fixed unexpected exception with encrypted modules.
Fixed application freeze during installation of works.
Regards,
Jim

WillM

#98 Post by WillM »

Hi eternal-sunshine ,
The installer is under the Utilities tab of the Fatdog Control Panel.

kirk

#99 Post by kirk »

I've packaged the AMD/ATI Catalyst video drivers. These packages include xorg-server-1.12.4. In the past, I've had the pet package run aticongfig --initial to create a xorg.conf file. But since the package includes a replacement xorg-server, the files have to be copied in without X running, which seems to cause problems for aticonfig. So I've included a xorg.conf that aticonfig generated that looks pretty generic. So if you have problems delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run aticonfig --initial.

There is no uninstall, test in a savefile/folder that you can delete if you need to.

EDIT: Removed, I will repackage these pets with xorg-server as a separate pet package.
Last edited by kirk on Fri 21 Feb 2014, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#100 Post by Ted Dog »

Thanks kirk I will test this after it is loads itself to a faster site. Downloads from that site get stopped or corrupted too much for me on my phone data method of download..

Can't uninstall... seems like a good time to remind people of the value of multisession..... :lol: