Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 23:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 18 [265 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:45    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Yes, got all those messages plus asking for login, thanks jb.
Maybe my oversight - borrowed stick of mem for another machine and substituted 512. Perhaps that's not enough for FD? Can't swap back again today.

512MB used to be enough for Fatdog, but thanks recent inclusion of inittmpfs patch, it is no longer enough (min 1GB is now required) unless one can use the magic incantation on kernel command line. The magic words are "rootfstype=ramfs". Mind you, though, running Fatdog on 512MB machine is quite limiting ...

Quote:
For the record, what would be the P/W?
None. Just press Enter. In the future, this may change to the regular puppy password you already know Smile

Quote:
And what should be the desktop GUI start command? xwin or startx? Tried the latter - no go.
There is no GUI command. If you find yourself in "bulldog", you're basically running from initrd; you only have busybox commands at your disposal. No GUI, no X, no graphical desktop. At one time I was interested to put some lightweight GUI on it (that's why I have been watching "Puppy In-House development thread" and got very excited the Iguleder built x86-64 version of Xfbdev; but it is still just a plan for now).

Quote:
1. My system takes almost 45sec to boot is this normal.
Tell me which part seems to take the longest - my guess is the bootloader portion (syslinux/grub), that is, before you see the words "decompressing kernel".

If it is, then you can use a small initrd. There are official and unofficial ways to create small initrd (use fatdog-split-initrd command); if you want the smallest and fastest you need to use the official way; otherwise you can use the unofficial way as below:
- after you boot, find your initrd using Rox, and then (double-)click to open it.
- move fd64-630.sfs to the root of your boot disk
- repack initrd
- in your bootloader command line, add these magic incantations: "waitdev=5 basesfs=local"

Otherwise tell us where is the time the system spent the most during booting.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:50    Post subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
I downloaded the nv driver hopefully It will work for me.. Ive been playing with older fatdogs with Nvidia to boot minimac.. I got it to work awhile back but its not been successful. The mac may have been updated and not boot same. Cant recall the admin pass to bless my efforts. Crying or Very sad

There are quite a few of older nvidia legacy drivers; I only built the latest "legacy" driver. Very old cards require drivers from older legacy drivers (195 branch or perhaps even 76 branch... (note: branch versions may be wrong, I just recall from memory, I don't bother to google, but you can check the details on nvidia website to get the exact details).

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:55    Post subject:  

Mine is same series as Billtoos so non legacy... any chance we could get that dup removal program fslint compiled for 64bit. It should work better since it does stuff in parallel..
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:59    Post subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
any chance we could get that dup removal program fslint compiled for 64bit. It should work better since it does stuff in parallel..

C'mon Ted, I know you build stuff yourself too Laughing Okay, where's the source URL?

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 13:20    Post subject:  

lol did not get dev yet... its big and do not wish to use my data plan on the stuff that may not make it successfully from that supper slow download site..
Ive been using my phone to download stuff, its the fastest internet here in the deep wilderness of near nowhere internet.
Also cant figure out steps to make 64bit pets... I just make a multisession save session and change the name to whatever package name. Wink But that makes a bunch of cruft not good to share..
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 13:23    Post subject:  

got the name wrong fslint needed python.. I booted and checked my shell history its dupfgui that worked and does not have many outside requirements.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 13:46    Post subject:  

More weirdness with CUPS and Firefox. I've been careful to avoid old save files in moving into Fatdog 630. This hasn't protected me from a problem when I try to use CUPS to install a printer. I keep getting "Internal Server Error".

Going back to the DVD, and booting with no save file, allows me to install the printer using the Samsung FD600 driver.

If nobody has a suggestion, I'm going to start yet another installation and see if I can migrate my mail, bookmarks, etc. without clobbering it.

Other comment: my ISP had problems last night, and this meant I spent time with WPAGUI. This is not a good way to deal with networking bugs. It is convenient when it just works, and you can ignore it. It is a pain when things are not working. I still want a visual indication of connectivity.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 13:47    Post subject:  

http://doubles.sourceforge.net/
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 13:57    Post subject:  

prehistoric. you may wish to try multisession mode on harddrive. That is what I do from a frugal flashdrive setup. It allows you to make changes and simply delete the session to rollback. Saves time reseting environment..

I modified the grub config to default to multisession mode. Really wish I could select usb or removable hardrive by GUID they fixed the bug that let me do that on earlier Fatdog64 with a mangled savefile string I was able to even place them in subdirectories but someone FIXED that as well...
So much for multisession progress... Laughing orpan redhead stepchild of the savefile world..
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 14:10    Post subject:  

Quote:
rootfstype=ramfs

Very many thanks, jb.
Might this be included in an F2 list as per regular puppies? Too much for a non-IT guy to remember!
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 14:23    Post subject:  

oh while talking about compiling stuff there are great improvements with the ReEfint bootloader I uncovered while duplicating booting on MiniMac. It can boot kernels and initrd directly now so no need for GRUB2 in that role.. that should shave off 5 to 6 M
smokey01

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 16:00    Post subject:  

prehistoric wrote:
More weirdness with CUPS and Firefox. I've been careful to avoid old save files in moving into Fatdog 630. This hasn't protected me from a problem when I try to use CUPS to install a printer. I keep getting "Internal Server Error".

The CUPS Internal Server Error is usually caused by incorrect permissions. I recently made a huge large SFS file with about 44 packaged and many files and directories had the wrong permissions. Although most packages might run it will break cups. Make sure the Group and Owner is correct too as CUPS is very particular.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=520964#520964

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 17:44    Post subject:  

new nv driver works for me.. just slightly more CPU usages before tweaking stuff. So its a good start. dropped CPU to half running at 21 after proprietary drivers 3xtreme settings can possibly drop to around 11.. my personal best tweek ( but wi dows overlaying tears )

Any idea why the wallpaper mode of fullscreen VLC does not work. Is there a way to drop regular wallpaper if its not truely a zero level. Nathans wallpaper setter did this as well is fatdog64 based on that older code?

having fun will try the unwrapped large initrd command posted above before making a Bluray multisession version with NV driver.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 20:59    Post subject:  

Smokey, your suggestion sounds right, but I'm at a loss to explain how this works in the system booted off DVD, but fails in the installed system. Where did the permissions get changed, and on what?

I'll be switching between installations until I locate the problem more precisely.

Fortunately, it is simply a matter of editing my multiboot configuration to make switching simple.

Added: as soon as I set things up for a long battle, the problem became obvious. It originates with the google-chrome sfs, even if you are not using it at the time. Simply having that sfs loaded screws up CUPS.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 21:35    Post subject:  

found a way to place a fatdog64 in multisession mode without booting in that mode... However I will only share how via PM with a promise not to tell kirk or JamesBond. They are fixing all my workout methods as bugs Sad
Page 6 of 18 [265 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: