Making SFSes from Pets

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeslr

Making SFSes from Pets

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

The standard Puppy can load up to 6 SFSes; some can load more. Loading SFSes has several advantages over pets, among them are (1) when loaded but not in use, they use less random-access-memory; (2) they occupy less space in your SaveFile, none if you unload them; (3) because of potential compatibility problems --see http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... c7d057e334-- loading an SFS not specifically built for your version of Puppy won't result in a problem it's not easy to fix: just unload it. So you should probably know how to make your own SFS from a pet.
I've provided a "walk-thru" which assumes you know little to nothing about Linux in general, and Puppy Linux in particular. You'll find it here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 211#759211. It's about as hard as following a cooking recipe and is unlikely to break anything. Think of the process as a "fun-puzzle". After you complete it, you'll feel less like a Beginner, and may even brag about being able to do things in Linux. We can keep the ease and hand-holding to ourselves.

However, before you begin spending a great deal of time on turning a pet from one Puppy into an SFS for use in another, you should read the post on compatibility to see if its worth trying at this time. You should also note that there are other, more complicated, ways of creating SFSes using the files from other Linux distros, or compiling them from source files. But as "Beginner's" those are probably beyond your current level of expertise, and beyond the confines of this post.

mikesLr

solo

#2 Post by solo »

That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for Mike. Fantastic.

Bookmarked.

(command line under point 8 needs clarification though)

mikeslr

Command line fixed

#3 Post by mikeslr »

solo wrote:That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for Mike. Fantastic.

Bookmarked.

(command line under point 8 needs clarification though)
Also called to my attention by charlie6.

Another idea you may find useful. I keep a folder on /mnt/home called my-notes. If the instructions are compact enough, I highlight them and copy to a LibreOffice (abiworks ok) file, which I'll give an informative name and save to that folder. Easy to find even if I can't get on the internet. Alternative are take a screen-shot, use the firefox addon "save to pdf" or just save to a text file. But a LibreOffice or Abiword document makes editing, highlighting and adding similar info easier.

mikesLr

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Nice but I have never had a problem with using the little utility Pets2sfs GUI. With this it's a no-brainer to convert pet(s) to sfs and sfs files can also be combined into one sfs (quick fix to bypass the limit on the amount of sfs's that can be loaded automatically at bootup). Highly recommended.

mill0001

#5 Post by mill0001 »

nic007: Hi do you have a link to DL Pets2SFS?
P.S. NM nic007 I found it and thanks mucho for the tip.

solo

Re: Command line fixed

#6 Post by solo »

mikeslr wrote:Another idea you may find useful. I keep a folder on /mnt/home called my-notes. If the instructions are compact enough, I highlight them and copy to a LibreOffice (abiworks ok) file, which I'll give an informative name and save to that folder. Easy to find even if I can't get on the internet. Alternative are take a screen-shot, use the firefox addon "save to pdf" or just save to a text file. But a LibreOffice or Abiword document makes editing, highlighting and adding similar info easier.
That's a good tip. I recently moved my Downloads folder to /mnt/home, for obvious reasons, so I'm learning the advantages of having folders 'outside' of the save file anyway.

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

mill0001 wrote:nic007: Hi do you have a link to DL Pets2SFS?
P.S. NM nic007 I found it and thanks mucho for the tip.
Enjoy. :D

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

not sure if sfs on the fly can load more than 6 sfs ...might be worth a check so avoiding the need to merge apps which is a pain if version of one changes.

Puppy could load up to 252 sfs so there's always room for more :)

mike

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:not sure if sfs on the fly can load more than 6 sfs ...might be worth a check so avoiding the need to merge apps which is a pain if version of one changes.

Puppy could load up to 252 sfs so there's always room for more :)

mike
Mike, some people want all SFS's to load automatically at bootup (and have the menu entries for it) and not only on the fly when needed. I have a backup of all my individual pets and SFS's in one big zip file so no problem. Anyways, how often do you actually update a version of an application? By then the application will probably need extra libraries installed on your running system or you may even be running a newer puppy anyway.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

i just updated pidgin for example... if that was part of a mega sfs it would be a pain.

Perhaps the question you should ask is why is puppy restricted to 6 sfs at boot when it can clearly handle more?

mike

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:i just updated pidgin for example... if that was part of a mega sfs it would be a pain.

Perhaps the question you should ask is why is puppy restricted to 6 sfs at boot when it can clearly handle more?

mike
I've never really spend much time on this open on the fly method. So you click on the sfs and it mounts with its file structure ...then you click/command what to get the application going?

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

ah then you should question sfs on the fly... see it goes on.

I use a home brew 2k script and its fast and simple...blink of an eye job.

mike

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:ah then you should question sfs on the fly... see it goes on.

I use a home brew 2k script and its fast and simple...blink of an eye job.

mike
And to unmount you run another script or command?

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

the same script..it toggles mount and unmount...i just add it to rox's right click custom menu.

just examples of what the system can do .

mike

nic007

#15 Post by nic007 »

Just use edit-sfs to remove any sfs in a combined sfs file. Easy-peasy

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

what if you remove a common dependency and you extract the right files out hundreds or even thousands in a split second...ok ...you have fun there :D

I suppose with any free software there is an element of masochism.

mike