What to do with fifty usb sticks

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Announcer

What to do with fifty usb sticks

#1 Post by Announcer »

Ok, as per your suggestions, I'll try another approach.

Cheers
Last edited by Announcer on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 20:53, edited 3 times in total.

NickAu

#2 Post by NickAu »

Now, what am I going to do with fifty 4-gig usb sticks?

Ummm plug them into this 80 port usb hub and install a different puppy on each one.

This must be connected to a linux system MS Windows would just BSOD or something lol.
Attachments
The-80-Ports-USB-Hub.jpg
(142.74 KiB) Downloaded 1787 times
Last edited by NickAu on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 06:47, edited 3 times in total.

mcewanw

Re: Studio 13.37 will soon be released for free

#3 Post by mcewanw »

Announcer wrote: So thanks everybody for all your support. The iso will be uploaded in a couple of weeks, and I'll post a link here in this forum.
Looking forward to trying that. Unfortunately it is I feel difficult to make any income working with open source, an exception being possibly in the support of large business packages. In a sense, we do ourselves out of a job.
github mcewanw

Volhout

not commercial

#4 Post by Volhout »

Dear Announcer,

I am sorry to hear that you have not been able to make Studio 13.37 into a succes. You did really believe in it, and it must have been disappointing to see this believe fail.

Please keep faith. Not every idea leads to a succes. Generally speaking 90% don't. But one day you may strike the jackpot, and really develop a product that is the right product in the right moment.

Never give up.....

Volhout (the name means "keep on going").

P.S. In the near future there will be demand for a safe OS for older computers. If not Studio, you may be able to put a different puppy on these USB stick and sell them as safe (private) web browsing sticks for people that still run XP. Simply put a kiosk version of puppy on them. There will be a market for it. Never stop believing....

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

NickAu wrote:
Now, what am I going to do with fifty 4-gig usb sticks?
Ummm plug them into this 80 port usb hub and install a different puppy on each one.

This must be connected to a linux system MS Windows would just BSOD or something lol.
@NickAu

Same principle!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ciento

Re: Studio 13.37 will soon be released for free

#6 Post by ciento »

Announcer wrote: Now, what am I going to do with fifty 4-gig usb sticks?
Run a free ongoing ad in the kvr marketplace?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=43

sell them at cost + shipping +X$, until gone.
You can bump the thread until all are sold.

Specify it will be released freely, once the last
stick is sold.

I just read where a kvr guitar-pickin' regular says he hasn't
finished a song in years, due to OS and DAW problems.
If only he had started a transition to Puppy Studio linux
way back then... :roll: :lol: :roll:
Think of the time, stress and money that would have been saved,
and perhaps the fine tunes actually finished!

Success is not strictly defined by monetary transfers.
Studio 1337 capabilities, as is, and compared dollar for dollar
to what emerging artists will pay for i7/Mac Pro systems
and related software, that they will be told they need,
in order to be professional, well, it staggers the imagination.

I look forward to hearing of your future plans and endeavors!

sc0ttman

#7 Post by sc0ttman »

Announcer... Your Studio pups are awesome - i added *some* audio apps to the akita repo, so akita has some half decent DAWs and such, and it was a lot of work just to get that done, so I can understand how much work you put into your Studio pups...

It's a shame 'theres no money in it', but hey, the pups are still awesome, so you did succeed, its just that others failed to catch on!
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Announcer

#8 Post by Announcer »

Thanks guys. :-)

Announcer

#9 Post by Announcer »

Never mind about the website. :oops:
Last edited by Announcer on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

#10 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

i'd love to host your work at my repo, if it's alright with you. i've never used it, but i've recommended it (looks great and was discovered around the same time a door sent some switches through my bass and guitar) to someone who was looking to spend 150 bucks on a turntable that converts records...

sorry things didn't work out as you had hoped.

if you want to save your website as a pdf or something, i can host that as well, put a link to it on the iso folder navigation page...

--darren.

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

Any particular reason why there is no money in it? Marketing too expensive? Distro issues? Superceeded by something better? Too difficult for newbies to pick up? Too time consuming?

Seems a shame to have to pack it in after so much hard work.

Is the current version of studio 1337 complete and intact, or does it need the service pack thingy loaded afterwards? I always thought it may have been worthwhile offering a CD or DVD version - people sometimes feel they are getting something 'real' when they have a CD in their hands. I still reckon studio 1337 would be extremely useful in an educational environment such as High school or college or whatever it would be called in the USA - sell a CD version for $5 each and sell 500,000 of them throughout the country. Or sell them for $10 each and sell a few less - maybe 300,000 or so? Theres got to be money in it somewhere...

Every media studies course and music course in the US educational system should require each student to have a recording studio available to them - Studio 1337 makes that possible in the cheapest possible way surely?

Best of luck with future endeavours!

Puppus Dogfellow

#12 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

greengeek wrote:Any particular reason why there is no money in it? Marketing too expensive? Distro issues? Superceeded by something better? Too difficult for newbies to pick up? Too time consuming?

Seems a shame to have to pack it in after so much hard work.

Is the current version of studio 1337 complete and intact, or does it need the service pack thingy loaded afterwards? I always thought it may have been worthwhile offering a CD or DVD version - people sometimes feel they are getting something 'real' when they have a CD in their hands. I still reckon studio 1337 would be extremely useful in an educational environment such as High school or college or whatever it would be called in the USA - sell a CD version for $5 each and sell 500,000 of them throughout the country. Or sell them for $10 each and sell a few less - maybe 300,000 or so? Theres got to be money in it somewhere...

Every media studies course and music course in the US educational system should require each student to have a recording studio available to them - Studio 1337 makes that possible in the cheapest possible way surely?

Best of luck with future endeavours!
or they can pay him 50 grand a year with a full health package to be a consultant, which he could do through this forum. a/v how-tos and "procedural essays" (them edu folk loves they jargon) which would also benefit the general population.

ciento

#13 Post by ciento »

Wondering why linux is a hard sell among musicians/producers etc
Keeping in mind the many categories of users
casual hobbyist
serious hobbyist
independant artist
independant producer
small studio
big studio
BIG NAME/BIG TIME artist/producer/studio

In no particular order,
1. Many tried 'the wrong linux' first, and gave up.
2. Some tried to get help, and met useless/hostile forums
3. Some tried, but had 'the wrong hardware', and little cash
4. Some had initial system success, but found little variety,
a lack of features, and some stability issues, among the available
linux versions, and audio softwares.
5. Some have become linux users 'exept for audio'
6. Pure peer pressure, the need/desire to be accepted in the 'in crowd',
be it iOS. macOS, windows, or lockdown androids
7. Professional obligations to branding above all else...when clients
or stars squeal, "No Pro Tools?!!!"
8. Entrenched 0S-ex/windoze career people, to whom attempting
linux would be akin to trying to fix what ain't broke.
Despite the plethora of woes, and price gouging...
9. Motherboard manufacturers droned by the nsa :twisted:

I think that floss as a religion/cult has not helped the public
image of linux, and when the motive to create great software is not
mainly commercial, the ego and sometimes fiercely independant
nature of gifted/driven developers, has inhibited the formation
of coding teams, that could better compete with closed source
counterparts, feature for feature, sound for sound. I realize
and respect the value of independance, and related freedoms,
and wish things were different. So much is just human nature,
enjoying life, so being seen as right or wrong, wise or foolish,
is not on the table, maybe never even crosses the mind of someone
busy crafting what they love.
Fortunately, Studio 1337 is going to be a great alternative
for a long time, and someone who is always searching for grail,
is likely to find it. 8)

Announcer

#14 Post by Announcer »

The main reasons:

1) Lack of exposure. Except for one or two people, nobody has really told anybody about Studio 13.37 on the web. The big Linux sites have completely ignored it - Slashdot, for instance, turned down my submission, and DistroWatch refunded my advertising dollars. I thought that getting reviewed in a major mainstream publication like Recording Magazine would help, but it hasn't increased sales.

2) I have to keep my day job, which is out of town a lot of the time. When I'm out of town, I can't process orders or help anyone with their issues. I often end up refunding people's money.

3) The constant requests for support. Although I have included a really easy-to-understand help file, made YouTube tutorials, and try to direct questions to my LinuxQuestions forum, most of the time people just email me. And I usually answer - maybe I'm too nice? (I am Canadian.) This makes for a lot of headaches and takes up a lot of time, and wasn't supposed to be included in the price.

4) Linux is hard for some people. Some people can't use a computer past opening their Facebook and searching something on Google, and they don't want to learn how to use Ardour, for instance, even though it's easy. These customers often end up asking for a refund, which uses up more of my time.

I do like the digital download idea, perhaps coupled with a "custom usb stick for extra" (and maybe a warning that it could take six to eight weeks for delivery). But then I'd also have to not answer their questions somehow. I dunno.

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

Announcer wrote: But then I'd also have to not answer their questions somehow. I dunno.
If I was in that position - wanting to sell product but not having the time to offer support I would go looking for someone who got a buzz out of being in the support loop.

For instance - do you know somebody (or could you advertise for such a person) who is at the beginning of their musical and or IT career that would get a kick out of tutoring and answering questions (and maybe even getting a small kickback on sales).

I'm imagining a student or new teacher. Younger people 'catch on' very quickly and of course they have a lot of contacts via college, sports groups, social activities, facebook etc. Lets face it - older people are more likely to have a fixed idea of what form of studio software they want to use, or who they would go to for help whereas young people who are growing into their own musical or media career would be much more likely to offer a 'clean slate' and open mind.

Some people get a kick out of mentoring others, and if you can find the right person to offer face-to-face advice or even just forum-based answers it would take the load off you.

Of course this would only work if the product is mature enough to be stable.

Maybe visit the music, media or IT teachers at a local school and offer a handful of free usb sticks to be given to motivated students who are prepared to take part in a project of some sort. In my country students can gain credits towards their final grades by taking part in group activities that benefit the education of others. Maybe such a project is possible in North Ameican schools too?

Training a handful of motivated and high achieving students and using them as your interface to the masses would be easier than having to do it all yourself. And of course the students wouldn't really be working for free - they get kudos, experience, seniority and maybe grade points out of it too. Lots of people thrive on such a challenge.

Maybe a budding IT student would relish the challenge of setting up an 'in-house' forum within a school environment - they don't need to have musical ability to set up the forum - but they could surely see the benefit of doing such a thing so that other musically minded students could use the forum as a vehicle for the success of their own projects. They would end up largely being their OWN support group (with a little outside help of course...)

I'm convinced that getting your work into the hands of people right at the beginning of their career is the key to growth and wider acceptance.

Announcer

#16 Post by Announcer »

If it was big enough, I could hire all kinds of people for all kinds of things. But it doesn't even pay enough for me lol.

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Announcer. I know you have some minor future plans (64bit perhaps) for Studio, but,thought I would ask: Will studio continue to address, specifically, the audio aspects?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward.

Announcer

#18 Post by Announcer »

Yes, the 64 bit version has existed for several years now. I am uploading it as we speak.

Studio 13.37 is, and always has been, primarily focused on the audio side of things.

gcmartin

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Announcer wrote:Yes, the 64 bit version has existed for several years now. I am uploading it as we speak. ... .
Looking forward to your post when available.