Puppy 412 dedicated website

Promote Puppy !
cthisbear

#61 Post by cthisbear »

Doesn't work in Iron Portable....a privacy version of Chrome.
( in both addresses that you posted..)

Both links work fine in old Firefox version....Opera and Seamonkey
in Sydney OZ.

" Invalid Server Certificate
You attempted to reach dl.dropboxusercontent.com,
but the server presented an invalid certificate.
Back to safety. "

Cheers .....Chris.

tuxtoo

#62 Post by tuxtoo »

cthisbear

Thanks for the feedback. I can access http://412collection.co.uk

If anyone else has problems accessing 412 Collection I would be grateful if you could let me know here of through the 412 Collection web site.

UPDATE

As well as http://412collection.co.uk I have changed the hosting to Neocities which gives the bonus of a free mirror of 412 Collection which can found here -

Which has now been removed as it is detrimental to SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)
Last edited by tuxtoo on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 19:05, edited 4 times in total.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

starhawk

#63 Post by starhawk »

Works for me. NC, US, Chromium 31 (actually the chromium31+pepper.pet from these very forums).

starhawk

#64 Post by starhawk »

tuxtoo, when you get a minute, and sorry for the thread sorta-hijack --

I have recently been given a Compaq Notebook 100. It has an AMD K6-2 CPU (i586) and 96meg RAM (max 160meg).

Can you suggest a Pup412 variant that I could attempt to boot, which is i586 or earlier only? (In other words, no i686 software, which requires support for a CPU instruction [CMOV] that this old bucket doesn't have!)

Puppyt

#65 Post by Puppyt »

Hey tuxtoo - the site is looking great from FF25.0 and also from Slimboat 1.1.33. Such a relief - there was a good few months last year where I kept getting "website unavailable" or "website restricted access" messages for your site last year, but as all other feedback posts in this thread were action-stations I thought it may have been an issue with my Australian ISP.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

rokytnji

#66 Post by rokytnji »

Carolina 1.2 Firefox 27.

Pecos, Texas.

First link
http://412collection.co.uk

Sorry '412collection.co.uk ' does not exist or is not available.
Second link
Works just fine .

Just reporting.

greengeek

#67 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote: Compaq Notebook 100. It has an AMD K6-2 CPU (i586) and 96meg RAM (max 160meg). Can you suggest a Pup412 variant that I could attempt to boot, which is i586 or earlier only? )
I second starhawks request - is there a 412 variant that suits the i586 range? (or any pup that is as quick as 412 and supports i586 ["no cmov"])

- must be someone who's traveled this road before...
Thanks!

mikeb

#68 Post by mikeb »

Site working fine for me though someone in chat said not...my guess would be nameserver propagation delays.

mike

ps did you get my recent email?

Dewbie

#69 Post by Dewbie »

greengeek wrote:
is there a 412 variant that suits the i586 range? (or any pup that is as quick as 412 and supports i586 ["no cmov"])
My K6-2 seems OK with 412 and 431.
But it has swap-loading problems with (retro) kernel 2.6.21.7.
(Not sure whether that's caused by the processor or board.)

FYI: Last Java that doesn't require CMOV is 6u22.

starhawk

#70 Post by starhawk »

Just upgraded my relic of a Compaq to its max RAM -- 152mb (after the graphics take their 8mb slice of the pie)... crammed a 256mb stick in there, of which it recognized half.

Would love an i486-only pup ;)

greengeek

#71 Post by greengeek »

Dewbie wrote:My K6-2 seems OK with 412 and 431.
But it has swap-loading problems with (retro) kernel 2.6.21.7.
(Not sure whether that's caused by the processor or board.)
Thanks Dewbie - I only just saw this response now. I really do reckon the super-old hardware some of us weirdos play with deserves a thread of it's own. I think all it needs is one of us to compile a kernel to suit doesn't it? There's got to be a way to build a puppy that performs ok (albeit slowly) on the non cmov stuff. If anticapitalista can do it with Antix maybe we can copy (or even use) the kernels he uses...?????????

It'd be like climbing Everest backwards :-)

@Starhawk, have you spotted any threads dedicated to the super old cpu's?

mikeb

#72 Post by mikeb »

greengeek .... I wonder...do you happen to know how to check if a kernel does not need cmov?..I was just thinking of a certain slax kernel on a puppy ;) but have never really looked to see how far back it can go since I have pentium2 and newer.

mike

ah uname -a mentions i686 or whatever....not using the one in question...will check later

starhawk

#73 Post by starhawk »

greengeek wrote:I really do reckon the super-old hardware some of us weirdos play with deserves a thread of it's own.
Yes! Yes it does.
greengeek wrote:I think all it needs is one of us to compile a kernel to suit doesn't it? There's got to be a way to build a puppy that performs ok (albeit slowly) on the non cmov stuff.
More than a kernel. Any i686 (or higher) package will not work. You'd have to do a custom Puppy, ground-up, compiling everything for i486 or i586. Then you'd have to create and populate a repo with extra packages, compiled specifically as i486 or i586. Remember that anything compiled i686+ almost certainly won't work...

Well, that's the traditional way. The /other/ traditional way is to make a 'Out house sink' Pup that's so full of stuff it has to waddle... screw that. I've got a better idea.

You have a base Pup install. You upgrade that base say once a year. Make that as painless as possible -- it'll have to upgrade the savefile, probably, but if you can make that as simple (for the user) and as error free as it gets, then you're golden. (I've never done a savefile upgrade on any Puppy, so I don't know how reliable that sort of thing is already.)

You then have a bunch of SFS's that update, say, once every two months. (That's not too bad at all. I think.) These are organized by purpose -- by which I mean task. So you have an SFS for artists and designers, with lots of graphics programs. Another for the writing crowd, with tons of word processors and maybe a simple layout editor or two. Another with lots of calculators and nifty numbers tools for math and finance folks. A gaming SFS for that demographic. Etc.

Then you have a small repo. Very small, compared to what it could be. The repo contains the SFS's as well as a separate area with individual packages -- that separate area is a 'catch-all bin' if you will -- a (hopefully well-organized) area for the stuff that really doesn't fit into the regular task-oriented SFS's but is nonetheless generally quite useful. The repo could also hold upgrade ISOs and/or upgrade patches -- but then you'd have to have a script to download, error-check (md5sum or similar) and apply the update. That would probably be pretty painful...

That's it. It's still a lot of work -- but it's easier than maintaining a giant repo on top of a Pup, or deploying a 'Out house sink' Pup that's too fat and slow to really be anything useful.
greengeek wrote:@Starhawk, have you spotted any threads dedicated to the super old cpu's?
Not exactly. I've seen threads for specific antique relic machines -- but not a general "I have a bunch of hardware that's so old it farts dust and creaks loudly when it runs, is there something I can run on this" type of thread.

greengeek

#74 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote:You'd have to do a custom Puppy, ground-up, compiling everything for i486 or i586. Then you'd have to create and populate a repo with extra packages, compiled specifically as i486 or i586. .
In a way, doing something like this to match the hardware would be a bit like what goingnuts did for the puppy core software - stripping down to the basics without any fancies.

I seem to recall reading that early versions of pupngo were suitable for older hardware but I could be wrong.

I guess this means learning to complile. Bummer. :-(

James C

#75 Post by James C »

Speaking of semi-old hardware......

-Computer-
Processor : M II 2.5x Core/Bus Clock
Memory : 121MB (33MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.42
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 18 Mar 2014 04:02:41 PM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ES1938 - ESS ES1938 (Solo-1)

Code: Select all

-Processor-
Name		: M II 2.5x Core/Bus Clock
Family, model, stepping		: 6, 2, 4 (VIA Cyrix III (M2 core))
Vendor		: CyrixInstead
-Configuration-
Cache Size		: 0kb
Frequency		: 250.08MHz
BogoMIPS		: 500.80
Byte Order		: Little Endian
-Features-
FDIV Bug		: no
HLT Bug		: no
F00F Bug		: no
Coma Bug		: no
Has FPU		: yes
-Cache-
Cache information not available
-Capabilities-
fpu		: Floating Point Unit
de		: Debug Extensions - I/O breakpoints
tsc		: Time Stamp Counter and RDTSC instruction
msr		: Model Specific Registers
cx8		: CMPXCHG8 instruction
pge		: Page Global Enable
cmov		: Conditional Move instruction
mmx		: MMX technology
cyrix_arr		: Cyrix ARRs (= MTRRs)
Running the famous, and underrated, Turbopup Dillo...... :)

Code: Select all

# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       121596        82028        39568            0         3764
 Swap:       530136            0       530136
Total:       651732        82028       569704
# 

tuxtoo

#76 Post by tuxtoo »

starhawk

Have you tried pUPnGO 2012 a 34mb iso based on 412 and according to the forum post it boots into 20mb of ram. Worth a try.

Puppyt and rokytnji

http://412collection.co.uk is back up and running and as an experiment I will mirror 412 Collection on Dropbox https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/332 ... index.html only time will tell if this approach works but it will give two options if anyone has trouble accessing one of them. You should note that there may be slight differences between the mirrors because I am unable to use server side scripting on the Dropbox mirror but nothing drastic. Just be aware that the mirror is not totally synced with the main site yet but will be within the next day or so.

I have used one of the URL shortening services to shorten 412 Collection mirrored on Dropbox so you can use this http://bit.do/412web to access the Dropbox mirror only

mikeb

Apologies for not noticing your email but I will reply in the next day or so. Just been a bit busy of late with various things.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

starhawk

#77 Post by starhawk »

tuxtoo, I've used pUPnGO2012+Extras enough to know that it's not what I'm looking for ;) it's a little /too/ stripped-down... I realize you have to sacrifice *some* functionality for this sort of hardware, but that takes out a bit too much IMO, and it's really not user-friendly or nice to look at. Hate to say it, but looks matter, too...

rokytnji

Last ditch effort

#78 Post by rokytnji »

I posted about this place way back.

But. It is up to you to Sherlock Holmes how to finagle a ezgo that may be in their warehouse in the Bay Area. Have you got any Puppy Buddies like Jpeps who can do the footwork and shipping for you?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/ ... to-retire/

Edit; My bad. Posted in the wrong thread but I'll leave it here just for info.
This post was for the ezgo link in starhawks signature.

@ tuxtoo

Yeah, the links work primo now here in Texas.

starhawk

#79 Post by starhawk »

LOL. Thanks, roky, but I'm actually on the wrong coast for that... I'm in NC.

I really need to take that out of my sig, I've long since given up on getting an EZGO. Just how it goes...

Colonel Panic

#80 Post by Colonel Panic »

A couple more observations;

1 / The last version of Flock - a browser based on Firefox but with extra features to make blogging and other media activity easier (and IMO a nicer looking interface too) - works well on 4.2 series Pups and should work on 4.12 as well. It's not easy to find online since it's no longer being updated but I'm happy to upload my own copy (from which I'm posting right now) if anybody wants it.

2 / Foxit (the PDF reader) keeps crashing on my computer, so I use Adobe Reader 9 or Epdfview instead.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.