How do I use the devx.sfs module?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
RSH

#21 Post by RSH »

In essence, this equates to a tutorial (maybe with screen pops) that can be lifted and place for every new to Puppy user to see.

This may already be present somewhere in Puppy forum. ... someone's webpage somewhere....Maybe a title of "Introduction to Setting Up Puppy Linux for simple programming with Geany Editor"
I have been thinking a lot of having a forum option to create a thread wherein no one else could do a post - except the one who has opened the thread.

I think writing and posting tutorials on the forum is not really possible because the day will come soon as it is split by posts of others, which makes it harder to the newbie or the just interested person to follow the tutorial or else, harder for the thread opener to keep some red-line/guide-line alive.

Oh my god, me and my less English knowledge, I just hope you will get the clue... :lol:
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

gcmartin

#22 Post by gcmartin »

@Tlchost requests a start of the idea for a tutorial.

This thread already has gotten some very good and useful posts of methods to address this thread's title in a tutorial

The ideas shared thus far are 2 fold. They surround
  • the inclusion of any Puppy's DEVX into the base system so that the system contains the items necessary for producing executable code.
  • the use of the Geany editor which will make use of the DEVX so that it makes easy for someone to create the program's text, compile the text, and test the compiled executable.
Here's is what is shared in this thread:
  • Getting the Puppy's required DEVX into the system base
    • @ttuuxxx has shared 2 approaches for making the DEVX a part of your PUP.
      • He shares, firstly, how to take a DEVX SFS and create a DEVX PET that can be used via Puppy's PPM for subsystem installation and use.
      • He shares a second approach for a Frugal Puppy installation to add the DEVX to the subsystem
      @Pizzasgood has shared an approach, too, to add the DEVX to a Puppy system. @Dejan555 has further assisted by posting some clarity for the offering that is specific to a Puppy Linux.
    Geany
    Geany is a editor that is included in all PUPs. It has, built into it, additional functionality which will make use of the DEVX subsystem so that the program's text can be compiled, tested, and debugged in Geany. But, its not evident.
    Some/many on this thread know how to do this. This needs some clarity.
A tutorial could show these (or any other) methods, as well as to show what need be done to edit a program in such a way that Geany recognizes the edited text as a program and can alertly "light up" the buttons and options so that compilation and testing can be done, succinctly.

This would be some "soup to nuts" guide for users, new to Puppyland, who may want to start, as well as maybe want to contribute.

I would gladly help anyone who wants to create any tutorial(s) for use by community users.

Here to help

P.S. Although, not specific to Puppy, there are "Geany Tutorials" available from several university sites. Just google or search "Geany Tutorials"
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

#23 Post by tlchost »

RSH wrote: I think writing and posting tutorials on the forum is not really possible because the day will come soon as it is split by posts of others, which makes it harder to the newbie or the just interested person to follow the tutorial or else, harder for the thread opener to keep some red-line/guide-line alive.
Valid point...not sure if the forum software willl allow only one person to have write access...

Another alternative is to have your tutorial on another site, and link to it in your forum post.

Thom

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

tlchost wrote:... Another alternative is to have your tutorial on another site, and link to it in your forum post. ...
Good point too.
  • How many of you have your Google ID?
  • How many use the Puppy channel, there, via Google-Plus?
  • How many are aware that you can create anything in your Drives.google.com and are able to allow others with Google IDs to contribute to that document, tutorial, video, musical, PUPPY contribution by allowing such?
  • How many are aware that every change made to any collaboration of such is tracked so that if need, you can isolate changes, revert if necessary, or track down an errant user to have him banded should they attempt to destroy the work of others?
In this specific case, your Google ID provides good benefit to a Puppy specific need.

Thus this kind of collaboration has great possibility and enormous safety in what is done. Similar to what is done in GIT, but simpler for anyone to use.

tlchost

#25 Post by tlchost »

gcmartin wrote:
tlchost wrote:... Another alternative is to have your tutorial on another site, and link to it in your forum post. ...
Good point too.
  • How many of you have your Google ID?
I don't ... google is far too intrusive for my tastes.
[*]How many are aware that every change made to any collaboration of such is tracked
I was suggesting that a tutorial someone created could be hosted in a venue where only the author could make changes....not some shared publication....which I believe was the spirit of the original post.

gcmartin

#26 Post by gcmartin »

Tlchost wrote:How many are aware that every change made to any collaboration of such is tracked
Please dont take what I share to suggest its meaning otherwise. This is NOT what is said. Again here is what I shared
GCMartin wrote:How many are aware that every change made to any collaboration of such is tracked so that if need, you can isolate changes, revert if necessary, or track down an errant user to have him banded should they attempt to destroy the work of others?
In it I am helping a collaboration to see that there are controls for the author to manage a document or work.

I was not trying to change anything you shared. I am showing an option for putting together a document where the contributors bring multiple ideas for good use. It provides any author to allows those, say that share stuff on the Puppy channel in google to collaborate should they choose. Some who already have Google IDs may not have been aware that this advantage exist.

Not to offend and hope this is understood.