Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 15:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppylinux for the OLPC laptops: XOpup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 21 of 21 [304 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 13:31    Post subject: Re: Quirky  

Boukman wrote:

I've been looking for a linux distribution with a recent kernel to try out a few things on my son's XO-1.

All XO distributions, official or otherwise, use the same OLPC kernels. ie 3.3 for XO-1 and XO-1.5, 3.5 for XO-4 and 3.0 for XO-1.75.
To that respect any recent XO-moded puppy included quirky have the same kernel.

Boukman

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 14:02    Post subject: Re: Quirky  

mavrothal wrote:

All XO distributions, official or otherwise, use the same OLPC kernels. ie 3.3 for XO-1 and XO-1.5, 3.5 for XO-4 and 3.0 for XO-1.75.
To that respect any recent XO-moded puppy included quirky have the same kernel.

Good. So that answers my first question (although I didn't have time to ask)! I thought some of the unofficial distributions didn't use the OLPC kernel, but now I know better. I guess there must be specific drivers compiled into this kernel.

Now my next goal is to try Enlightenment on XOpup.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 15:22    Post subject: Re: Quirky  

Boukman wrote:
I thought some of the unofficial distributions didn't use the OLPC kernel, but now I know better.

Some key changes in the OLPC kernel never made it into the official Linux kernel tree. So no other kernel will boot an XO.
The XO-puppy kernel is not exactly the same as the official (has some configuration changes) but is the same kernel source as the official.
If you need some modules that are not build in the current kernels, but they exist in the 3.3 source, let me know.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2014, 02:36    Post subject: FatDogArm_beta1  

There is a new version of FadDogArm out that in reality is a totally new version, with a new toolchain and minimal system configuration,that actually runs on both the XO-4 and XO-1.75 Laughing

In contrast to alpha builds, XO support is now fully integrated in the build, so there is no special XO-specific download.

The release notes and installation instructions are very comprehensive but for the non-RTFM-types Rolling Eyes just download fd-arm.sfs and xo175-kernel.tar.gz or xo4-kernel.tar.gz from one of the FatDog Mirrors, place the fd-arm.sfs and the boot folder at the root of any USB stick or SDcard and boot your XO.

As with the alpha version, you can also install FatDogArm in the internal XO card parallel to Fedora/Sugar and have a dual boot system that will boot to FD when the "O" game-key is pressed during power up.
To install in the internal flash storage, download the attached install_fd-b1_internally.sh.gz script in your XO, expand it, make it executable and run it as root, while you are connected to the internet.
If you do not have an internet connection in your XO just copy the scrip, fd-arm.sfs, and xo{175,4}-kernel.tar.gz in your XO and run the script.
NOTE:The script will not run if you already have an alternative boot option (/bootpart/boot/atl) in your XO
install_fd-b1_internally.sh.gz
Description  Script to install FatDogArm_beta1 in the internal storage of the XO-4 or XO-1.75, parllel to Fedora/Sugar.
gz

Download 
Filename  install_fd-b1_internally.sh.gz 
Filesize  958 Bytes 
Downloaded  18 Time(s) 

Page 21 of 21 [304 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: