Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 04:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 84 of 110 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
Author Message
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014, 22:29    Post_subject: Seagate Backup Plus 1TB external HDD.
Sub_title: SCSI driver(s) needed.
 

I have a Seagate Backup Plus 1TB external hard disk. The is a SATA disk, but it comes with a SCSI adapter plugged in it that plugs into the USB port. Kind of strange if you ask me, but the price was great, so I am trying to make this work. The only Puppy I have that supports this setup out of the box is Lighthouse Pup 64 6.02b Mariner. There are likely others, but out of the ones I have that is the only one that supports it. Since it is 64bit I didn't bother trying the drivers that come with that puppy.
Does anybody know what drivers are required to make this work with Carolina? I am NOT looking to boot from this device I just want to store my media library on it and connect it to my media server, So the media files can be served over DLNA and SAMBA to other computers and devices throughout the house.
Here is the dmesg output:
Code:

[93274.670727] usb 2-3: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd
[93274.796995] usb 2-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc2, idProduct=a003
[93274.796998] usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[93274.797001] usb 2-3: Product: USB
[93274.797002] usb 2-3: Manufacturer: Seagate
[93274.797004] usb 2-3: SerialNumber: 2HC015KJ
[93274.808431] scsi10 : uas
[93279.001739] usb 2-3: URB BAD STATUS -71
[93296.044055] scsi 10:0:0:0: uas_eh_abort_handler tag -1
[93296.044060] scsi 10:0:0:0: uas_eh_device_reset_handler tag -1
[93296.044063] scsi 10:0:0:0: uas_eh_target_reset_handler tag -1
[93296.044065] scsi 10:0:0:0: uas_eh_bus_reset_handler tag -1
[93296.097627] scsi 10:0:0:0: sense urb submission failure
[93306.097385] scsi 10:0:0:0: uas_eh_abort_handler tag -1
[93306.097388] scsi 10:0:0:0: uas_eh_device_reset_handler tag -1
[93306.097390] scsi 10:0:0:0: uas_eh_target_reset_handler tag -1
[93306.097392] scsi 10:0:0:0: uas_eh_bus_reset_handler tag -1
[93306.097395] scsi 10:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
[93306.097508] usb 2-3: USB disconnect, device number 3
[93306.204059] usb 2-3: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
[93306.330379] usb 2-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc2, idProduct=a003
[93306.330383] usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[93306.330385] usb 2-3: Product: Backup+ BK
[93306.330387] usb 2-3: Manufacturer: Seagate
[93306.330389] usb 2-3: SerialNumber: NA5CR3DT
[93306.343309] scsi11 : uas
[93327.031337] scsi 11:0:0:0: uas_eh_abort_handler tag -1
[93327.031342] scsi 11:0:0:0: uas_eh_device_reset_handler tag -1
[93327.031345] scsi 11:0:0:0: uas_eh_target_reset_handler tag -1
[93327.031347] scsi 11:0:0:0: uas_eh_bus_reset_handler tag -1
[93327.035378] usb 2-3: URB BAD STATUS -71
[93327.137396] usb 2-3: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
[93327.261886] scsi 11:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5293
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 01:13    Post_subject:  

It's good to reference what the manufacture has to say -
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/208751en#12
Quote:
Will the drive work with Linux?
Seagate Expansion Desktop and/or Seagate Extended Portable drives should function like any other USB drive connected to a Linux-based computer. However, this practice is not supported by Seagate.

I don't think the interface is SCSI. I think those references to "SCSI" in dmesg are due to standard SATA communication regimes - remember, both IDE and SATA are related to SCSI technology.
It's a very new interface device, and I think you just need a recent USB driver to handle it ... or maybe an older USB driver?
Your dmesg results show that the ehci_hcd driver (USB 2.0) is being used ... but the specifications of your Seagate Backup Plus indicate it should be USB 3.0 ?

I suspect your computer is only capable of USB 2.0, so this forces the Seagate to operate at the older standard, and maybe this is what is failing?
Try connecting the Seagate to a computer with USB 3.0 ports (modern Puppies fully support USB 3.0) - you might have more success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 01:27    Post_subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
It's good to reference what the manufacture has to say -
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/208751en#12
Quote:
Will the drive work with Linux?
Seagate Expansion Desktop and/or Seagate Extended Portable drives should function like any other USB drive connected to a Linux-based computer. However, this practice is not supported by Seagate.

I don't think the interface is SCSI. I think those references to "SCSI" in dmesg are due to standard SATA communication regimes - remember, both IDE and SATA are related to SCSI technology.
It's a very new interface device, and I think you just need a recent USB driver to handle it ... or maybe an older USB driver?
Your dmesg results show that the ehci_hcd driver (USB 2.0) is being used ... but the specifications of your Seagate Backup Plus indicate it should be USB 3.0 ?

I suspect your computer is only capable of USB 2.0, so this forces the Seagate to operate at the older standard, and maybe this is what is failing?
Try connecting the Seagate to a computer with USB 3.0 ports (modern Puppies fully support USB 3.0) - you might have more success.

I saw that bit on the Seagate website, but it is for the "Desktop Expansion" series drives and I have the "Backup Plus" series drive. I am quite certain that you are correct that my computer only supports USB 2.0. Unfortunately none of my machines have any USB 3.0 ports. On the bright side I know without doubt that this drive will work with a USB 2.0 port, as it works connected to a USB 2.0 port on this very computer, while running the Lighthouse Pup 64 6.02b Mariner (LHP64) puplet. I will reboot in LHP64 take a few screenshots to show you why I thought it was a SCSI drive, then if you could please cast a little more light on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for looking into this so quickly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 01:42    Post_subject:  

@Tempestuous
Here is the screen shot of the dmesg output in LHP64 along with the open filemanager showing the content of the drive. I am stumped, so any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
-can8v
SeagateBackupPlus.jpg
 Description   Might help if I remember to attach the file ;)
 Filesize   83.9 KB
 Viewed   718 Time(s)

SeagateBackupPlus.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 01:55    Post_subject:  

Now if I could just get the above working in Carolina, I would be happy, as a lark.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5293
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 02:29    Post_subject:  

As further diagnosis, you could check what drivers are loaded in LHP64 -
Code:
lsmod

and maybe post results here, for us to check if there are any OTHER drivers involved, apart from ehci_hcd.


can8v wrote:
On the bright side I know without doubt that this drive will work with a USB 2.0 port, as it works connected to a USB 2.0 port on this very computer, while running the Lighthouse Pup 64

Sure, but using LHP64's ehci_hcd. I think that the version of ehci_hcd in Carolina is simply not up to the job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 17:09    Post_subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
As further diagnosis, you could check what drivers are loaded in LHP64 -
Code:
lsmod

and maybe post results here, for us to check if there are any OTHER drivers involved, apart from ehci_hcd.

Here is the output from lsmod:
Code:

bash-4.1# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_pcm_oss            37526  0
snd_seq_dummy           1311  0
snd_seq_oss            26776  0
snd_seq_midi_event      5284  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                47971  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          4953  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_mixer_oss          14747  1 snd_pcm_oss
lib80211_crypt_tkip     8003  0
wl                   2523561  0
snd_hda_codec_idt      50657  1
snd_hda_intel          20571  0
snd_hda_codec          59067  2 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
arc4                    1322  0
mac80211              183240  0
cfg80211              158153  1 mac80211
dell_wmi                1429  0
sparse_keymap           2976  1 dell_wmi
ub                     14956  0
ums_realtek             4262  0
snd_pcsp                7325  0
snd_pcm                71142  4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcsp
snd_timer              18057  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
i915                  355006  2
drm_kms_helper         24131  1 i915
snd                    54338  11 snd_pcm_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcsp,snd_pcm,snd_timer
cfbcopyarea             3230  1 i915
cfbimgblt               2073  1 i915
soundcore               5137  1 snd
uas                     7939  0
wmi                     8163  1 dell_wmi
cfbfillrect             3658  1 i915
snd_page_alloc          6809  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
fan                     2274  0
ac                      3081  0
dell_laptop             7503  0
rfkill                 14914  2 cfg80211,dell_laptop
dcdbas                  5216  1 dell_laptop
intel_agp              10688  1 i915
intel_gtt              14313  3 i915,intel_agp
lib80211                3846  2 lib80211_crypt_tkip,wl
joydev                  9671  0
battery                10379  0
sky2                   45769  0
i2c_i801                8030  0
sg                     27284  0
fuse                   64095  1
aufs                  169225  70
exportfs                3410  1 aufs
nls_iso8859_1           4269  1
nls_cp437               5801  0
usbhid                 34192  0
usb_storage            43276  2 ums_realtek
squashfs               23615  2
uhci_hcd               22307  0
ehci_hcd               36967  0
usbcore               131061  8 ub,ums_realtek,uas,usbhid,usb_storage,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
mmc_core               63530  0
<root> ~
bash-4.1# ^C
<root> ~
bash-4.1#

I noticed that despite the dmesg output showing that ehci_hcd was used, the lsmod output doesn't show ehci_hcd or even uhci_hcd. Thanks for looking into this.

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 17:43    Post_subject:  

@Tempestuous
Here is the lsmod output from Carolina with the same Seagate Backup Plus drive plugged in.
Code:

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
cpufreq_ondemand        4512  1
acpi_cpufreq            4505  1
mperf                    819  1 acpi_cpufreq
i915                  284663  2
drm_kms_helper         18350  1 i915
drm                   124176  3 i915,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit            3620  1 i915
fan                     1714  0
ssb                    34140  0
mmc_core               55337  1 ssb
lib80211_crypt_tkip     6243  0
wl                   2396675  0
lib80211                2481  2 lib80211_crypt_tkip,wl
snd_hda_codec_idt      40375  1
pcspkr                  1195  0
snd_hda_intel          17422  4
snd_hda_codec          54461  2 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               3762  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss            28047  0
snd_mixer_oss          10066  3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                47371  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
sky2                   36793  0
snd_seq_dummy            915  0
snd_seq_oss            18865  0
i2c_i801                6154  0
i2c_core               12792  5 i915,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_i801
snd_seq_midi            3280  0
snd_rawmidi            11829  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      3596  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                32482  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              11730  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          3509  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    34162  16 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
shpchp                 18163  0
soundcore               3439  3 snd
snd_page_alloc          4801  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
dell_wmi                1026  0
sparse_keymap           2056  1 dell_wmi
intel_agp               8065  1 i915
intel_gtt               9478  3 i915,intel_agp
agpgart                18266  3 drm,intel_agp,intel_gtt
wmi                     5859  1 dell_wmi
evdev                   5797  1
button                  3315  1 i915
battery                 8367  0
video                   9552  1 i915
thermal                 6066  0
processor              22035  2 acpi_cpufreq
thermal_sys             9594  4 fan,video,thermal,processor
hwmon                    873  1 thermal_sys
ac                      2303  0
fuse                   47694  3
aufs                  122079  146
squashfs               18881  7
#
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
tempestuous

Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Posts: 5293
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 21:07    Post_subject:  

You will see with Carolina that there are no USB-related modules listed ...
I just did some checking and I see that somewhere between Slacko 5.3 and Slacko 5.4 these modules were integrated into the core kernel. Thus, they are no longer external. This is new to me.
What Puppy version/kernel version is Carolina based upon? I don't know, and don't care. As you probably know, I hate unofficial Puppies. But clearly Carolina has one of these kernels with USB support built-in. There's no guarantee that all of the external modules listed as being loaded with LHP64 are contained within the Carolina kernel - the one I think is most important is ums_realtek.

There's one (external) module listed with LHP64 which is not listed with Carolina - sg. This is the SCSI generic driver.
So the only suggestion I can make is to manually load this module, prior to plugging in the Seagate drive, as such -
Code:
modprobe sg
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 22:24    Post_subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
You will see with Carolina that there are no USB-related modules listed ...
I just did some checking and I see that somewhere between Slacko 5.3 and Slacko 5.4 these modules were integrated into the core kernel. Thus, they are no longer external. This is new to me.
What Puppy version/kernel version is Carolina based upon? I don't know, and don't care. As you probably know, I hate unofficial Puppies. But clearly Carolina has one of these kernels with USB support built-in. There's no guarantee that all of the external modules listed as being loaded with LHP64 are contained within the Carolina kernel - the one I think is most important is ums_realtek.

There's one (external) module listed with LHP64 which is not listed with Carolina - sg. This is the SCSI generic driver.
So the only suggestion I can make is to manually load this module, prior to plugging in the Seagate drive, as such -
Code:
modprobe sg

I have tried modprobe sg, then plugging in the hard drive to no avail. I don't get any error messages upon loading the module, but I do not get a working hard drive upon plugging it in either. I appreciate your looking into this for me. I understand it can be frustrating to support the myriad of puplets that have filled the landscape.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1509
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 03:29    Post_subject:  

I've packkaged Master PDF Editor 1.9.22, this the Linux-based version is free for non-commercial use.

It is a qt app that requires glibc 2.11, so I have used the hack as used in slimboat and other apps to get this working, I symlinked the needed qt files to to keep the size down, so it is a Carolina only app at the moment, but if the qt lib files are includes it should run in other pups.

Read about it here http://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor.php

It's not in the repo so get it HERE
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   72.75 KB
 Viewed   847 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg


_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ac2011

Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 15:48    Post_subject:  

can8v wrote:
tempestuous wrote:
You will see with Carolina that there are no USB-related modules listed ...
I just did some checking and I see that somewhere between Slacko 5.3 and Slacko 5.4 these modules were integrated into the core kernel. Thus, they are no longer external. This is new to me.
What Puppy version/kernel version is Carolina based upon? I don't know, and don't care. As you probably know, I hate unofficial Puppies. But clearly Carolina has one of these kernels with USB support built-in. There's no guarantee that all of the external modules listed as being loaded with LHP64 are contained within the Carolina kernel - the one I think is most important is ums_realtek.

There's one (external) module listed with LHP64 which is not listed with Carolina - sg. This is the SCSI generic driver.
So the only suggestion I can make is to manually load this module, prior to plugging in the Seagate drive, as such -
Code:
modprobe sg

I have tried modprobe sg, then plugging in the hard drive to no avail. I don't get any error messages upon loading the module, but I do not get a working hard drive upon plugging it in either. I appreciate your looking into this for me. I understand it can be frustrating to support the myriad of puplets that have filled the landscape.


I've had similar problems with a 4TB Seagate external drive (see earlier in this thread). These drives don't seem to work too well with Linux, although I have it running perfectly with Fluppy. Earlier kernels seem to support it better than newer ones, though that's only a personal observation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 16:03    Post_subject:  

ac2011 wrote:
can8v wrote:
tempestuous wrote:
You will see with Carolina that there are no USB-related modules listed ...
I just did some checking and I see that somewhere between Slacko 5.3 and Slacko 5.4 these modules were integrated into the core kernel. Thus, they are no longer external. This is new to me.
What Puppy version/kernel version is Carolina based upon? I don't know, and don't care. As you probably know, I hate unofficial Puppies. But clearly Carolina has one of these kernels with USB support built-in. There's no guarantee that all of the external modules listed as being loaded with LHP64 are contained within the Carolina kernel - the one I think is most important is ums_realtek.

There's one (external) module listed with LHP64 which is not listed with Carolina - sg. This is the SCSI generic driver.
So the only suggestion I can make is to manually load this module, prior to plugging in the Seagate drive, as such -
Code:
modprobe sg

I have tried modprobe sg, then plugging in the hard drive to no avail. I don't get any error messages upon loading the module, but I do not get a working hard drive upon plugging it in either. I appreciate your looking into this for me. I understand it can be frustrating to support the myriad of puplets that have filled the landscape.


I've had similar problems with a 4TB Seagate external drive (see earlier in this thread). These drives don't seem to work too well with Linux, although I have it running perfectly with Fluppy. Earlier kernels seem to support it better than newer ones, though that's only a personal observation.

Funny you should say that. Since this is a core hardware component of my media server. I gave up this morning and changed the Distro from Carolina to Precise 5.7.1 and it works perfectly. I have tried this drive in many differrent puppies and here are the results.
Working in these puppies:
LHP 64, Precise 5.7.1, Racy 5.5
Not working in these puppies:
Saluki 021, Saluki 023, Carolina 1.1, Carolina 1.2, Carolite 1.1, Racy 5.2, Racy 5.3.
My understanding is that the Kernels for Saluki and Carolina both came from Racy 5.2. My guess is that whatever is causing this issue was not corrected in the Racy line until Racy 5.5. All puplets based on 5.2 and 5.3 will likely suffer from the same issues. Nice to know that fluppy works with this hardware. I might consider giving it a try at some point. I have a working setup now and it is a media server, so I will rarely access the server directly. Though if I have to get on this server directly more than a few times a year JWM and ROX will likely drive me crazy and I will end up finding something else that works Fluppy could be the answer. It is kind of dated now, but like I said this is just a media server. It needs to have this Seagate drive working, Samba and minidlna, not much else. Then again I may just get XFCE and Thunar or XFE working on Precise 5.7.1 I do like how it is binary compatible with Ubuntu packages. At any rate I still really like Carolina and will keep it on my laptop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Ray MK


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 771
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 16:23    Post_subject:  

Hi can8v - you said
(Then again I may just get XFCE and Thunar or XFE working on Precise 5.7.1)
this may save you some work
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87717
HTH - regards - Ray

_________________
Asus 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. IBM A21m laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. X60 T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. T41 Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
can8v

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Location: Yuba City, CA

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 17:21    Post_subject:  

@Ray MK
Thanks, definitely going to download that when I get back to the house. I can't believe I have not seen that before.

Edit:
I downloaded it and installed it on my laptop and my media server. That is a great puplet. Thanks for the tip Ray MK
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 84 of 110 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1742s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0310s) ][ GZIP on ]