Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 22:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 186 of 190 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 Next
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 17:11    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I was running Lucid 5.2.8.6 on a Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450.

There being no compatible ati driver
Just ignore me if I am off the point, but I have a HD 3850 that works with the ATI driver in Quickpet with Lucid 5.2.8 all versions (2.6.33.2 kernel). Ibiblio is horrible, and to make it worse some of the ibiblio mirrors seem screwed up to me--they serve bad copies. You might try using the built-in radeon driver and just adding Xorg-High (which is glx and a faster download). That is the open source solution. The open source drivers do not depend on the kernel version so it may work with whatever lupu you are using. In general they might not be quite as fast but they should provide acceleration (hardware-based direct rendering). Personally I use the open-source drivers.

Quote:
Also when I do the search for a video driver I am told to install Xorg_High which I have done. However, I am not sure if I have the best driver. I have attached the output from open glx.

5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS690 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RS690 791F) 20090101 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 NO-TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1

Yes, that is the appropriate open source driver, Xorg-High provides hardware acceleration (hardware-based direct rendering)

On your shutdown problem, did you try Lupu 5.2.8.005 or LupuPlus 5.2.8.005? It might matter, or it might not. Lupu 5.2.8.6 is a more direct descendant of LupuPlus 5.2.8.005.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 17:34    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Ibiblio is horrible, and to make it worse some of the ibiblio mirrors seem screwed up to me--they serve bad copies.

funny you should mention that... I just wasted half an hour with 2 pets from 2 separate ibiblio mirrors that both would not install from either.... and curiously both were double their supposed size and showed blank in xarchive

mike
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 19:19    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I just wasted half an hour with 2 pets from 2 separate ibiblio mirrors that both would not install from either.... and curiously both were double their supposed size and showed blank in xarchive

Yes, that is exactly what I have seen too. Ibiblio itself is horribly slow but at least the copies are good (afaik).
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 19:35    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
I just wasted half an hour with 2 pets from 2 separate ibiblio mirrors that both would not install from either.... and curiously both were double their supposed size and showed blank in xarchive

Yes, that is exactly what I have seen too. Ibiblio itself is horribly slow but at least the copies are good (afaik).

This may be a web browser issue - it happens to me if I download using a web browser but if instead I copy the download link into Pwsget secure file downloader then it downloads correctly.

mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 20:06    Post_subject:  

One curious thing....my test is a 2.5 mb file.... the download progress goes

1...2...6 mb (equal time space)

tested in firefox and qtweb. Did not have wget handy but I suspect it might be ok.

mike
EdD

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 20:20    Post_subject:  

[quote="playdayz"
Just ignore me if I am off the point, but I have a HD 3850 that works with the ATI driver in Quickpet with Lucid 5.2.8 all versions (2.6.33.2 kernel). Ibiblio is horrible, and to make it worse some of the ibiblio mirrors seem screwed up to me--they serve bad copies. You might try using the built-in radeon driver and just adding Xorg-High (which is glx and a faster download). That is the open source solution. The open source drivers do not depend on the kernel version so it may work with whatever lupu you are using. In general they might not be quite as fast but they should provide acceleration (hardware-based direct rendering). Personally I use the open-source drivers.
.[/quote]

Not off the point at all, I'm glad for your input. I'm going to d/l that X-org High driver, as I've done a fresh frugal install of sulu 2 on another machine with ATI controller of similar vintage as my Dell. The bad experience with the ibiblio d/l notwithstanding, I love using Lucid.

I'm running 3Headed Dog right now, posting this. That's a great version, and a big jump forward for lucid on my newer machines. You've contributed mightily to my computing experience, playdayz.

Many thanks,
Ed

EdD

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 20:30    Post_subject:  

peebee wrote:

This may be a web browser issue - it happens to me if I download using a web browser but if instead I copy the download link into Pwsget secure file downloader then it downloads correctly.

Good point, that. In my case I also think it's a service provider issue. I've been using Hughesnet satellite "broadband" for several years, and have had so many wasted CDs with bad downloads burned to them and so many frustrations with corrupted files on ISOs that I just switched to Verizon wireless BB. I see a significant difference in download times already, and am about to download a few ISOs to see how much better performance may be.

Having my bandwidth allowance run out during a download has ruined more than a few ISO downloads while using Hughesnet.

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2014, 07:11    Post_subject:  

Ok pinned down the ibiblio problem and its one that has appeared elsewhere on here.

Basically the pets are being ungzipped by the browser...hence the increase in size so its some kind of mime/magic mime problem (I find the latter a pain in the neck) ...rename the pet to tar and voila all is intact.

mike
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2014, 15:50    Post_subject:  

rerwin (Richard)

A few post back now I said I would burn the 5286 iso to cd, boot from this and see if I could shutdown and make a savefile on a Dell laptop. The only changes I made before shutdown was to setup personal settings and wifi/firewall. I was able to make a savefile and put this and the sfs on the hdd. I booted again from the cd added a browser, flash and video driver then shutdown and rebooted. All OK. I then copied the savefile to the 5286 folder on my bootable flash drive. I deleted the savefile and sfs from hdd. I then booted 5286 from the flash drive and was given the option of booting from both the original savefile and the one I made from the Dell. Booted the Dell one and all OK. I loaded this up with the pets I use. Also tried loading and unloading a couple of sfs and again all worked. I am still concerned about what you said about booting multiple pups from a flash drive. I also have a similar setup on the hdd of my old Toshiba laptop. I think this might be quite common especially booting a number of pups with XP. So far I have not seen any problems. I be interested to know if others have.

Thanks again,

Ken.
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2014, 18:26    Post_subject:  

keniv,
I need to refine my statement regarding "multiple pups". The important point is that the problem arises if you have multiple puppy main files of the same name.

Since I work almost exclusively on lucid pup these days, the main file name is "lupu_528" or "sulu_00*". I must be careful to have only one of each on my HDDs, unless I want to boot the copy on a CD, where I need either no other similarly named main files or to boot with "pfix=ram".

So, my concern was that you might have multiple puppies of the same main-file name on your system somewhere.
Richard
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2014, 22:21    Post_subject:  

rerwin

I have three pups on the flash drive. One is slacko but the other two are both versions of lupu. One is the original 528 updated to 528.002 and the other is your latest 5286. Both sfs files have the same name. I also have something similar on the hdd of my old laptop except it also has a version of 520 and a little used version of XP. I have not noticed any problems. I suspect I could tidy this up but I do have some admittedly weak reasons for keeping them all.

Regards,

Ken.
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014, 22:00    Post_subject:  

Ken,
The only conflict I sense is between 528.002 and 5.2.8.6. Temporarily rename the 528.002 lupu_528.sfs to, say, Xlupu_528.sfs, to be sure you are using 5.2.8.6 on subsequent boots.
R
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014, 15:58    Post_subject:  

Lupu3hd5286

Using Burniso2cd

Burned a Slacko64 iso to a CD.
Choose to make it a multi-session burn.

Checked the CD and it was burned closed.

Seems the option to burn multi-session is not working in Burniso2cd.

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 13:41    Post_subject:  

bigpup,

I wonder if this is being caused by the cdrtools package. In the original Lucid (and other Pups without cdrtools), the file cdrecord is a symlink to wodim. Installation of cdrtools overwrites this symlink with a real file. The options look as though they are the same and should still work.

As an experiment, since wodim is still present in the system I wonder if you could edit the burniso2cd script (in /usr/sbin). Near the start it has the line:-
Code:
CDRECORD='cdrecord'

Try changing this to:-
Code:
CDRECORD='wodim'

and see if the multi-session burn works like that.
I am no expert so if anyone has any other ideas feel free to chime in.

nooby

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014, 14:39    Post_subject:  

I trust it is my fault but I fail to find download
for the lupu 5.2.8.6 ISO failes. I found the pet and sfl file and could download one of them So a link would be cool to have.

Yes I have looked at first page Smile

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 186 of 190 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum