Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 23:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 83 of 99 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
rg66

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014, 07:37    Post_subject:  

Carolite-1.2 has been released, download and change log link are in the first post.

Please note: The SFS prefix has been changed to carolite. If you want to use a previous savefile, change the name to carolitesave
Carolite-1.2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.33 KB
 Viewed   1472 Time(s)

Carolite-1.2.jpg

Edited_times_total
yordanj94

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014, 08:44    Post_subject: zdrv  

Hi.
You have to rename zdrv file other way it can be loaded.

I got the same problem i had with Carolina-1.2,
but if i use

fusermount -u ~/.gvfs

everything is fine.
Screenshot.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  Screenshot.png 
Filesize  221.37 KB 
Downloaded  264 Time(s) 
rg66

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014, 09:18    Post_subject: Re: zdrv  

yordanj94 wrote:
Hi.

Thanks for that, not sure how I missed it. I've been working on lina for at least 2 weeks, time for a break.

Marv

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:49    Post_subject: Re: zdrv  

yordanj94 wrote:
Hi.

I got the same problem i had with Carolina-1.2,
but if i use

fusermount -u ~/.gvfs

everything is fine.

Up and running here. Zdrive renamed. Pristine frugal Grub4Dos boot, no stray savefiles or networked saves. As above, cannot read /root (/root/.gvfs error) until fusermount -u ~/.gvfs is run here also. No other issues so far.

rg66

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014, 13:07    Post_subject: Re: zdrv  

Marv wrote:
Up and running here. Zdrive renamed. Pristine frugal Grub4Dos boot, no stray savefiles or networked saves. As above, cannot read /root (/root/.gvfs error) until fusermount -u ~/.gvfs is run here also. No other issues so far.

Marv, what comp are you running this on, I know you've never had issues like this before. Maybe it's something new we added.

Marv

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014, 14:42    Post_subject: Re: zdrv  

rg66 wrote:
Marv wrote:

Marv, what comp are you running this on, I know you've never had issues like this before. Maybe it's something new we added.

This is the same fujitsu S6520 (core 2 duo all intel i915 video, iwlwifi wireless) I have run everything from Saluki 023 through LinaLite-005 through Carolina and Carolite 1.0 and 1.1 on. All non-PAE. This is my bog standard all Grub4Dos frugal install to an SSD in this case. The boot partition is fat32 and the work partition is EXT2. I've never seen this before on either this or my Pentium M all intel fujitsu S6120s. I usually run a pristine boot to see what's what before bringing in my save file so I would think I would have seen it before.
The first boot was with no savefile, zdrive renamed, and the stock 1.2 adrive in place. All straight from an iso generated using the 1.1-1.2 delta.

Once I am running, I do usually disable as much of .gvfs as I can get away with as it gives me hives, but this boot was a straight up first boot. Only the files from the iso in the boot partition, pmedia=ataflash pfix=copy ipv6.disable=1 in the menu.lst entry. Ya, I've never seen this one before.

I'm posting from a very well behaved Carolite 1.2 at this point. Abiword, gcalculator, links to my external opera and my configs added to the adrive, some themes and locales pulled from the main SFS, links to my external opera... No other issues seen at all. When I get to it I'll do a pristine boot to the Pentium M lappies and see there.

Edit: I cannot reproduce the error! I KNOW it quite locked me out of /root on the first pristine boot. Copied my working 1.20 files into their own directory, copied the necessary files to boot directly from the iso into the 'experimental' directory, and rebooted there with exactly the same sequence of setting up utc, timezone, firewall, wireless connection. No error. Tried different setup sequence. No error. Same machine, same files, same boot directory, same menu.lst entry. Did several reboots not making save file. No error. I'm stumped. Could it be a timing error in that /root/.gvfs isn't created in time to be used by gvfs?
Edit: Fresh boot on older laptop, Grub4dos frugal install to CF card in IDE adaptor on 1.4GHz Pentium M, 1Gb RAM, intel 855GM video, ipw2200 wireless laptop. No savefile, stock adrive and main SFS. No error reading /root. Wireless connection,sound,display all perfect. Lxtask shows 6% CPU and 138Mb memory use as I write this from external Opera 12.16.

I owe a system upgrade to one of my folks in the next couple of days (From Boxpup!). This is probably it.

Thanks

rg66

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 01:30    Post_subject:  

I've been trying to upload a new Carolite-1.2.iso but keep losing connection and resume fails as well. Until this is sorted out the iso will not be available. The new 1.1>1.2 delta has been successfully uploaded and is available for download.

Edit: Geoffrey was successful in uploading the Carolite-1.2 iso.

Edited_time_total
_MegadetH_

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 05:24    Post_subject:  

Hello! I've an acer aspire 5310 notebook, which version do you suggest me to install, Carolite or Carolina 1.2? Which is the difference between pae e non pae version?
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 06:02    Post_subject:  

_MegadetH_ wrote:
Hello! I've an acer aspire 5310 notebook, which version do you suggest me to install, Carolite or Carolina 1.2? Which is the difference between pae e non pae version?

If you are in linux, run "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (no quotes) from the command line and look at the flags: line to see if pae is listed. If it isn't, you can only run non-pae. If it is you can run either pae or non-pae versions. Non-pae will pretty much run on anything.

Full or lite depends on what you want, Carolina is a full featured OS with pretty much everything you need where as Carolite (also non-pae) is stripped down to basic every day functions.

_MegadetH_

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 06:33    Post_subject:  

rg66 wrote:
_MegadetH_ wrote:

If you are in linux, run "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (no quotes) from the command line and look at the flags: line to see if pae is listed. If it isn't, you can only run non-pae. If it is you can run either pae or non-pae versions. Non-pae will pretty much run on anything.

Full or lite depends on what you want, Carolina is a full featured OS with pretty much everything you need where as Carolite (also non-pae) is stripped down to basic every day functions.

Thanks, I've checked my notebook is pae Smile

Question: Why if press canc to delete a file I hear an internal beep? is possible to don't hear it?
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 10:40    Post_subject:  

_MegadetH_ wrote:
Question: Why if press canc to delete a file I hear an internal beep? is possible to don't hear it?

To get rid of the beep, type "xset -b" from the command line. "xset b" to enable it again.

rg66

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 11:51    Post_subject:  

@ yordanj94

Have you tried an earlier version of Carolina and had the same gvfs issue?

@Marv

I've never seen this before and can't reproduce it on any of my comps. If fusermount -u fixes it I'm going to assume that gvfs is mounted by /etc/init.d/fuse script. The only things we added that run at startup are updated exo, hddtemp script in /etc/init.d (looks like it runs after fuse) and 2 scripts in /root/Startup which should run long after gvfs is mounted. One is deleted at first boot (runs blkid which can take some time to finish) and the other is deleted after making a savefile. Maybe a rootfs issue? Still doing research and learning.

Marv

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 13:29    Post_subject:  

rg66 wrote:

@Marv

I've never seen this before and can't reproduce it on any of my comps. If fusermount -u fixes it I'm going to assume that gvfs is mounted by /etc/init.d/fuse script. The only things we added that run at startup are updated exo, hddtemp script in /etc/init.d (looks like it runs after fuse) and 2 scripts in /root/Startup which should run long after gvfs is mounted. One is deleted at first boot (runs blkid which can take some time to finish) and the other is deleted after making a savefile. Maybe a rootfs issue? Still doing research and learning.

What puzzles me is that it happened once and then I cannot reproduce it. I'm bouncing back and forth between a version of 1.2 with a savefile and a version on which I put everything into adrive so running with no savefile. Using the iwlwifi laptop I saw it on originally. Not a twitch or a glitch on either version.

_MegadetH_

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014, 07:15    Post_subject:  

rg66 wrote:
_MegadetH_ wrote:

To get rid of the beep, type "xset -b" from the command line. "xset b" to enable it again.

Thanks!
I've a big problem, internet doesn't work well. I have acer aspire 5310 notebook and when i configure in network wizard wireless connection wpa aes i see only wlan0 without the module. I click load module atk9 or atk5 and get unload module message because system doesn't reconize it. After
I try to connect with fresbee and if it fails I retry with previous step load module and retry again with fresbee until it works. Sometime I can connect but when i reboot the system it lose internet settings and I have to retry again and again. I need help, I ve this problem even with other puppy distros.
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014, 16:18    Post_subject:  

Frisbee is a pain in the rear - for my extensive range of HW and my ISP with PoA it has never ever functioned correctly and reliably, although it does for some folks. Get rid of it. The old ones are the best: try SNS first, then Dougal's if that isn't OK.

Carolite is still unable to connect by any means via SiS190 although Carolina finds it OK.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 83 of 99 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum