X-precise-2.4 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#221 Post by rg66 »

baszek wrote:Can I use pets from carolina in newest x-precise 2.2 ? There are lot of them here: http://www.smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/
Some will work, some won't. You can try them in RAM so you don't mess up your savefile.
pchan wrote:Wish I was rich enough to send donations for your work.
Me too! :wink: Glad you like it.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

baszek

#222 Post by baszek »

So how do you install new app ? Do you compile app specially to X-precise ?
I am currently installing apps from puppy package manager.

pchan

#223 Post by pchan »

rg66 ,

i need to ask one thing. I am not an expert on computers.

When I install and start xprecise from pendrive, I am able to have this feature - save or not save - at shutdown time.

When i install and start xprecise from external hard disk, I am unable to get this feature - save or don't save - at shutdown time.

Is there anything I can do in order to get this _ save or don't save -feature on my external hard disk installation of xprecise so that it will work just like my usb pendrive?

Thanks

rg66

#224 Post by rg66 »

baszek wrote:So how do you install new app ? Do you compile app specially to X-precise ?
I am currently installing apps from puppy package manager.
The apps from package manager are made for precise. The ones in Carolina repo were compiled in Carolina for Carolina.

rg66

#225 Post by rg66 »

pchan wrote:rg66 ,

i need to ask one thing. I am not an expert on computers.

When I install and start xprecise from pendrive, I am able to have this feature - save or not save - at shutdown time.

When i install and start xprecise from external hard disk, I am unable to get this feature - save or don't save - at shutdown time.

Is there anything I can do in order to get this _ save or don't save -feature on my external hard disk installation of xprecise so that it will work just like my usb pendrive?

Thanks
To get that to work from a harddrive change menu.lst entry to pmedia=ataflash

pchan

#226 Post by pchan »

rg66 wrote:
To get that to work from a harddrive change menu.lst entry to pmedia=ataflash

rg66,

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! IT WORKED MARVELOUSLY!

What a great puppy - x-precise is!

I have used saluki, puppy 4.31, lxpup, macpup, carolina, slacko, exprimo, lucid, ....

All were great.

But x-precise has to be a favorite among all! It simply works and never gave me any trouble especially with the 'save or don't save feature' and a few other features, it is so easy to use and manage (my personal opinion and taste).

baszek

#227 Post by baszek »

Is it possible to load save file in x-precise from hard drive (it was possible with normal 5.7.1 precise). I have created folder with x-precise save file on my hard drive (sda1/precise/xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs) but it looks like it only searches my bootable usb. (In precise when there was no save file on pendrive it was starting to search on hard drive.)

I have only 3 usb ports and putting save file on hard drive will allow me to eject it and use it for my usb card with external antenna.

rg66 wrote:The apps from package manager are made for precise. The ones in Carolina repo were compiled in Carolina for Carolina.
By the way I was using puppy package manager to install newest chromium, skype and some other app --- they are all working ok in x-precise.

rg66

#228 Post by rg66 »

baszek wrote:Is it possible to load save file in x-precise from hard drive (it was possible with normal 5.7.1 precise). I have created folder with x-precise save file on my hard drive (sda1/precise/xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs) but it looks like it only searches my bootable usb. (In precise when there was no save file on pendrive it was starting to search on hard drive.)
Not too sure, I did notice that when you make a savefile you can choose the partition and then the directory where to have your savefile.

Try this, boot into RAM and make a new savefile saving to sda1/precise and use the same name as your current one. Copy your current savefile there overwriting the other one and reboot with your USB savefile as xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs.bak or something so it doesn't load and see if that works.

baszek

#229 Post by baszek »

rg66 wrote:
baszek wrote:Is it possible to load save file in x-precise from hard drive (it was possible with normal 5.7.1 precise). I have created folder with x-precise save file on my hard drive (sda1/precise/xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs) but it looks like it only searches my bootable usb. (In precise when there was no save file on pendrive it was starting to search on hard drive.)
Not too sure, I did notice that when you make a savefile you can choose the partition and then the directory where to have your savefile.

Try this, boot into RAM and make a new savefile saving to sda1/precise and use the same name as your current one. Copy your current savefile there overwriting the other one and reboot with your USB savefile as xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs.bak or something so it doesn't load and see if that works.
I made as you said but it does not work.

rcrsn51

#230 Post by rcrsn51 »

baszek wrote:I made as you said but it does not work.
Here is a procedure that has worked on other Puppies.

1. Put your savefile somewhere on the hard drive.

2. Copy the main sfs file onto the hard drive in the same location as the savefile.

3. Mount your flash drive and locate the file syslinux.cfg. Open it in a text editor.

4. Change "pmedia=usbflash" to "pmedia=cd"

5. Save and reboot.

The "pmedia=cd" option is Puppy's most versatile search method and can usually find the other files.

baszek

#231 Post by baszek »

rcrsn51 wrote:
baszek wrote:I made as you said but it does not work.
Here is a procedure that has worked on other Puppies.

1. Put your savefile somewhere on the hard drive.

2. Copy the main sfs file onto the hard drive in the same location as the savefile.

3. Mount your flash drive and locate the file syslinux.cfg. Open it in a text editor.

4. Change "pmedia=usbflash" to "pmedia=cd"

5. Save and reboot.

The "pmedia=cd" option is Puppy's most versatile search method and can usually find the other files.
This method works like a charm ! Thx a lot ! Now I can eject my usb stick.

Marv

Wireless, iwlwifi and ipw2200

#232 Post by Marv »

Been using X-precise-2.2 with great sucess on a core 2 duo laptop with iwlwifi (5300 series). In trying to install on two Pentium M laptops with ipw2200 wireless, could not get frisbee to reliably hold connection once made even with maximum dropout_wait time set and various kludges. Frisbee worked fine on the iwlwifi laptop even with the dropout time at 0. Some hair torn out, switched to SNS to connect on the ipw2200 machines and connections made AND maintained perfectly. Having done that, 2.2 is really quite usable on the 1.4G and 1.6G Pentium M lappies. Just a note on my experience..
Lesson learned....Be a lil flexible Marv, one size doesn't always fit all :)

Edit: Frisbee 1.1 which is in X-precise-2.2 exhibits exactly the same behavior in LxPup-14.01. Frisbee beta-4 works just fine in Carolite-1.1, Carolite-1.2 and LinaLite-005 on the ipw2200 laptops and on my iwlwifi laptop with no tinkering required. I'd post this to a main frisbee thread if I could find one :?:
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

johnywhy

#233 Post by johnywhy »

hi, it would be awesome if the devs or anyone could install x-precise or x-slacko on virtualBox, with updated package repositories and a personal save file.

i've tried in numerous configurations, including running the OS off the CD, larger hard-drives, more RAM, frugal, full--- no matter what i try, virtualBox crashes before the install process is complete.

it might crash after updating the packages. or it might crash after trying to save the PSF.

if anyone has success, would be awesome if you could please post your recipe and/or your vdi and vbox files.

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rg66

#234 Post by rg66 »

@ Marv

Frisbee-beta4 is in the Carolina repo, you could uninstall 1.1 or remove it from the sfs and add beta4 to see if it fixes your problem.

@johnywhy

I booted an X-slacko iso in virtual box and did a frugal install with universal installer and grub4dos and created a savefile without issue. I was in Carolina at the time though and was using an older version of virtual box, 4.1.8

johnywhy

#235 Post by johnywhy »

rg66 wrote:I booted an X-slacko iso in virtual box and did a frugal install with universal installer and grub4dos and created a savefile without issue. I was in Carolina at the time though and was using an older version of virtual box, 4.1.8
hrm, were you able to update the repositories?
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Marv

#236 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:@ Marv

Frisbee-beta4 is in the Carolina repo, you could uninstall 1.1 or remove it from the sfs and add beta4 to see if it fixes your problem.
I might try it if I get really really bored. Since SNS works perfectly for me on all computers in X-precise 2.2 I haven't much impetus. I have been tinkering though. Installed thunar 1.6.2 in Carolite using your pet here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 954#685692
(I didn't see it in the repo?) and set up my places in .gtk-bookmarks. I like the speed and the additional flexibility it gives me with the side panel. Space gained there from custom setup makes up for the extra line it generates for a mounted disk for me. Didn't post there as there is an active ongoing discussion re disks.
Last edited by Marv on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#237 Post by rg66 »

@ johnywhy

I just tried and it updated the repo easily.

@ Marv

I have a thunar-1.6.3.pet I compiled in X-precise, If you want I can upload it and post a link. If I recall correctly, it also worked in lina.

Here it is anyway http://www.carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-co ... -1.6.3.pet Right click and "save as".
Last edited by rg66 on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

#238 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:
I have a thunar-1.6.3.pet I compiled in X-precise, If you want I can upload it and post a link. If I recall correctly, it also worked in lina.
I looked quickly at the libs etc for 1,6.3 vs 1.6.2 and it seemed there was some size penalty involved so I went with 1.6.2 (your pet now linked above) for now.
Thanks,

johnywhy

#239 Post by johnywhy »

i finally got the repositories to update on x-precise on vbox, with no crashes, by NOT installing to hd.

i'm running the vbox off a virtual live cd, which i'm guessing will be as fast as booting off the virtual hd (since they're both really running off the hd).

vbox machine: 2GB RAM, 8GB HD

i saved the puppy core files to hd during the first save of the pfs. but, not sure if that was even necessary?
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

sszindian

#240 Post by sszindian »

Just a quick note to let you know that 'frisbee' with the auto-reload after a wifi dump is much appreciated!!! Far as I know, X-Precise-2.2 is the ONLY puppy that can do that to date!

X-Precise-2.2 is a fine piece of work , so far has handled everything I test a puppy for without an issue one.

Any chance for a Seamonkey-24 .pet with the auto upgrade 'working' for 2.2?

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
desktop-1.png
(145.46 KiB) Downloaded 1865 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]