X-precise-2.4 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
umair

#201 Post by umair »

Colonel Panic wrote:A quick update; I decided to install SlimBoat instead (of Chromium) and don't regret it; it's working well (and with Flash) and is IMO easier to navigate than Chromium is.
I can recommend it to others trying to find a browser to install in Carolina. The one snag is that glibc needs to be upgraded to 2.11, for which I believe you need the two files mentioned in this thread;
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58130
which are hard to get hold of now. (I'd saved mine to my storage pendrive a year or so ago so already have them).
@ rg66:
I installed the slimboat browser from the above post of CP from carolina alongwith the glibc and other pet file from the link x-precise. After restarting the system, it takes me to the prompt to setup the X. I tried to set the x window the xorgwizard command, but Its not working. Can u give me some tips that how to fix this ? I m using frugal installation.
Thnx in Advance.
(UMAIR)

rg66

#202 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:@ rg66:
I installed the slimboat browser from the above post of CP from carolina alongwith the glibc and other pet file from the link x-precise. After restarting the system, it takes me to the prompt to setup the X. I tried to set the x window the xorgwizard command, but Its not working. Can u give me some tips that how to fix this ? I m using frugal installation.
Thnx in Advance.
(UMAIR)
X-precise already had glibc-2.15 so it must have broken something with the 2.11 package. Not sure how to fix that other than removing the savefile and starting over. Maybe you can manually edit the savefile and remove the glibc package, not sure.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

umair

#203 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: X-precise already had glibc-2.15 so it must have broken something with the 2.11 package. Not sure how to fix that other than removing the savefile and starting over. Maybe you can manually edit the savefile and remove the glibc package, not sure.
Thanks for reply rg66:
I removed the savefile and setup the fresh installation. Actually I was running windows xp inside of x-precise. Some of the documents were in xp box. I successfully recovered as used the existing .vhd file option from vbox :). Got the lesson
(Before Trying Anything Fancy, take the backup of savefile First ;-) )
Take Care
(UMAIR)

umair

#204 Post by umair »

hello rg66:
Sorry to bother you again :). I installed wine 1.3.6.sfs for running some win applications in x-precise. Everything goes well but now my libreoffice 4.1.2.sfs is not working. It was working before. Now when I opened it from the menu, just initial logo comes up and thts all. Kindly help me.
Thanks
(UMAIR)

rg66

#205 Post by rg66 »

@ umair

Try running

Code: Select all

libreoffice4.1
from the terminal and see what errors show.

umair

#206 Post by umair »

hi rg66:
I tried libreoffice4.1 command from terminal. Libreoffice start without any error, but I when I click to open any application like text document, spreadsheet etc., thn it is closed immediately without showing any error in the terminal. Any idea ?

umair

#207 Post by umair »

umair wrote:hi rg66:
I tried libreoffice4.1 command from terminal. Libreoffice start without any error, but I when I click to open any application like text document, spreadsheet etc., thn it is closed immediately without showing any error in the terminal. Any idea ?
I downloaded the openoffice.3.4.sfs, working nicely. So using that for the time being.
(UMAIR)

rg66

#208 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:I downloaded the openoffice.3.4.sfs, working nicely. So using that for the time being.
(UMAIR)
Good to hear you got it working. It sounds like Wine is over writing something in LibreOffice with a older version. What I would try is to boot without a savefile, load wine manually with SFS-load and then load the newer LibreOffice to see if it and Wine work ok.

I would think SFS's are loaded alphabetically or maybe by order in SFS-load. If this works you could try renaming the Wine SFS to something like aWine or whatever so it loads first, or making sure Wine is in the SFS-load list first.

Just guessing though.

dennis-slacko531

How to stop screen blanking (watching movies, etc)

#209 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

I use X-precise-2.2 pretty much all the time. I think it's necessary today to cut off the automatic "screensaver" mode, but I've yet to find it. Have a great weekend!!

Geoffrey

Re: How to stop screen blanking (watching movies, etc)

#210 Post by Geoffrey »

dennis-slacko531 wrote:I use X-precise-2.2 pretty much all the time. I think it's necessary today to cut off the automatic "screensaver" mode, but I've yet to find it. Have a great weekend!!
I didn't see anything in the menu to do that, but you can do it in terminal, " xset +dpms " turns it on and " xset -dpms " turns it off.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rg66

Re: How to stop screen blanking (watching movies, etc)

#211 Post by rg66 »

Geoffrey wrote:
dennis-slacko531 wrote:I use X-precise-2.2 pretty much all the time. I think it's necessary today to cut off the automatic "screensaver" mode, but I've yet to find it. Have a great weekend!!
I didn't see anything in the menu to do that, but you can do it in terminal, " xset +dpms " turns it on and " xset -dpms " turns it off.
That will turn off dpms (energy star), but you also need to turn off screen blanking.

Code: Select all

xset s off

umair

#212 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: Good to hear you got it working. It sounds like Wine is over writing something in LibreOffice with a older version. What I would try is to boot without a savefile, load wine manually with SFS-load and then load the newer LibreOffice to see if it and Wine work ok.
I would think SFS's are loaded alphabetically or maybe by order in SFS-load. If this works you could try renaming the Wine SFS to something like aWine or whatever so it loads first, or making sure Wine is in the SFS-load list first.
Just guessing though.
@ rg66:
Tried that, still have a same problem.

umair

#213 Post by umair »

umair wrote:
rg66 wrote: Good to hear you got it working. It sounds like Wine is over writing something in LibreOffice with a older version. What I would try is to boot without a savefile, load wine manually with SFS-load and then load the newer LibreOffice to see if it and Wine work ok.
Just guessing though.
@ rg66:
Tried that, still have a same problem.
Hi rg66: I downloaded the openoffice 4. Working Superbly alongwith openoffice quick starter. Here is the screenshot ;) :
(UMAIR)
Attachments
Screenshot4.jpg
(79.52 KiB) Downloaded 780 times

umair

#214 Post by umair »

hi rg66 :
I am using X-Precise for more thn three months. Working nicely without any problem. Yesturday I was deleting some of my personal files from the home folder (I am using FRUGAL Installation). After reboot now I am not able to access that partition. Posting the screesnhot. Any idea about that ?
Thanks in Advance.
(UMAIR)
Attachments
screen.jpg
(40.15 KiB) Downloaded 513 times

rg66

#215 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:hi rg66 :
I am using X-Precise for more thn three months. Working nicely without any problem. Yesturday I was deleting some of my personal files from the home folder (I am using FRUGAL Installation). After reboot now I am not able to access that partition. Posting the screesnhot. Any idea about that ?
Thanks in Advance.
(UMAIR)
Got me on that one. Can you access the partition if booting into RAM? Is it an ntfs partition? If so you may need to do a "chkdsk /f" on a windows machine.

It might be looking for fsckme.flg and it's not there or corrupted. Are you using grub4dos? If so does the precise entry have "pfix=fsck"? Maybe get rid of that and try again.

Just guessing though.

umair

#216 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: Got me on that one. Can you access the partition if booting into RAM? Is it an ntfs partition? If so you may need to do a "chkdsk /f" on a windows machine.
It might be looking for fsckme.flg and it's not there or corrupted. Are you using grub4dos? If so does the precise entry have "pfix=fsck"? Maybe get rid of that and try again.
Just guessing though.
Hi rg66:
Its NTFS Partition and I am using GRUB4DOS. I will try as per your guidlines and update you soon.
Thanx
(UMAIR)

umair

#217 Post by umair »

umair wrote:
rg66 wrote: Got me on that one. Can you access the partition if booting into RAM? Is it an ntfs partition? If so you may need to do a "chkdsk /f" on a windows machine.
Just guessing though.
Hi rg66:
Its NTFS Partition and I am using GRUB4DOS. I will try as per your guidlines and update you soon.
Thanx
(UMAIR)
Hi rg66:
I removed the pfix=fsck entry from the menu list but the result was same. After that I tried "chkdsk/f" from windows, restarted that system. Everything goes fine. Now I can access the root partition (which is NTFS) without any issue.
Thanks for the help.
(UMAIR)

baszek

#218 Post by baszek »

Can I use pets from carolina in newest x-precise 2.2 ? There are lot of them here: http://www.smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/

baszek

#219 Post by baszek »

Can I use pets from carolina in newest x-precise 2.2 ? There are lot of them here: http://www.smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/

pchan

#220 Post by pchan »

x- precise is my most used puppy. I cannot express how much i love the feature - that gives me a choice "to save or not save" when i shutdown.

great THANKS to rg66!

Wish I was rich enough to send donations for your work.

Really appreciate x-puppy precise!