Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
serdal22

#1341 Post by serdal22 »

I have been switching between Ubuntu, Mint, Suse (COuldn't install), Mandriva 13, I think (Couldn't install) till I tried Puppy Linux. I couldn't install Lupu yet, either. Now I am using older Navigatrix, a very Linux distro prepared for sailors and navigators like myself.

I finished d/l'ing Lupuplus 5.2.8.6.4.1.4 and Lupu 5.2.8.6 and latest Navigatrix 0.5 few hours ago.

I will let you know how it goes with Lupuplus.

I even tried to install my first Linux OS distro Mandrake 10.1, but the DVD didn't install. That DVD is very sentimental for me for being my first serious Linux try; and since then (12 years ago?) I have been switching between various Linux distros and other OSs.

BUT I have decided to continue using Linux only from 2014 and forth.

Happy new year everybody, and thanks for your great helps and infos and supports . . .

Serdal

musher0

#1342 Post by musher0 »

alphadog wrote:Just tried out the latest offering from these Latvian linuxers and boy it is good !
Only one slight problem, I couldn't get a uk keyboard which is a shame 'cos I really like this distro.
Comes with Enlightment and Fvwm .
ftp://austrumi.ru.lv/austrumi-2.8.5.iso
Hello, alphadog.

I couldn't agree more: austrumi is one of the best distros around, big or small. And my
problem is similar to yours : I cannot find a French-Canadian keyboard / locale for it.
It's a shame, really; maybe they have limited personnel and need to focus on only a
few languages.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

alphadog

#1343 Post by alphadog »

Hi Musher , came across this http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/ma ... vativ.html.
Any help to you ?
May give this a go myself this w/end.

Hey! Who knows I might even end up being classed as a Slacker !! lol
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

musher0

#1344 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, alphadog. Interesting reading. But where to find the proper keyboard map in the slackware repos and then add it to the distro? BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

GustavoYz

#1345 Post by GustavoYz »

In Slackware, I do:

Code: Select all

setxkbmap -layout es &
from my startup script to set keyboard layout.
I can check the list of available layouts in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base and /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst, not sure in that distro...

musher0

#1346 Post by musher0 »

GustavoYz wrote:In Slackware, I do:

setxkbmap -layout es &
from my startup script to set keyboard layout.
I can check the list of available layouts in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base and /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst, not sure in that distro...
Hi, GustavoYz.

Yes, that is what I mean:
I believe none of the character maps I need is in the folders you mention.
(cf [French-Canada] and qc [Quebec]).
Do you think it would break anything if I copied the ones from a Puppy?

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

PANZERKOPF

#1347 Post by PANZERKOPF »

musher0 wrote: But where to find the proper keyboard map in the slackware repos and then add it to the distro? BFN.
A package with Xkeyboard data files usually named as
xkeyboard-config-$version-noarch.tgz. (or *.txz in newer versions of Slackware).
SUUM CUIQUE.

mcewanw

#1348 Post by mcewanw »

Been trying out the latest Slitaz-rolling download. Absolutely amazing distribution. Openbox WM and lots of LXDE components, well-behaved Midori browser. So much in such a small download and very pleasant to use. Of course, you are limited to its package manager, but that works well and has thousands of well-prepared packages in its repo - so when I don't need a distribution with apt-get or similar, Slitaz is a nice. (Still not moving from Puppy Guydog on the main household computer, however - for its overall speed/usability nothing beats Guydog yet - well done Iguleder).
github mcewanw

James C

#1349 Post by James C »

Still playing with Debian........ Jessie with MATE.

james@testing-mate:~$ uname -a
Linux testing-mate 3.12-1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2 (2013-12-29) i686 GNU/Linux
james@testing-mate:~$ 
Attachments
Jessie Mate.jpg
(28.11 KiB) Downloaded 661 times

Colonel Panic

#1350 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm now using MeX - Exton's take on Mint - and I have to say I'm impressed. It's based on Mint 16 (Petra) but with a 64-bit kernel and using the Cinnamon desktop.

It's a bit "cut down" from standard Mint and the ISO is less than 1 GB in size(for example, you have to install your own office suite) but it has the unusual property for a Ubuntu / Debian based distro that you can log in as root and with no password if you want. Nice wallpaper too (though I've changed it to something suitably wintry instead)

Worth a look;

http://mex.exton.net/
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

peebee

#1351 Post by peebee »

mcewanw wrote:Been trying out the latest Slitaz-rolling download. Absolutely amazing distribution. Openbox WM and lots of LXDE components, well-behaved Midori browser. So much in such a small download and very pleasant to use. Of course, you are limited to its package manager, but that works well and has thousands of well-prepared packages in its repo - so when I don't need a distribution with apt-get or similar, Slitaz is a nice. (Still not moving from Puppy Guydog on the main household computer, however - for its overall speed/usability nothing beats Guydog yet - well done Iguleder).
Hi
Also tried to try Slitaz - only able to get what looks like a row of small desktops across the top of the screen - green squares on pink background....

What vga / slitaz screen bootcodes did you use??

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Colonel Panic

#1352 Post by Colonel Panic »

Further to my testing out of MeX; I was unable to log into it today so I've installed something else (SalineOS 1.7, an old but decent distro) for the time being.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

mcewanw

#1353 Post by mcewanw »

peebee wrote:
mcewanw wrote:Been trying out the latest Slitaz-rolling download. Absolutely amazing distribution. Openbox WM and lots of LXDE components, well-behaved Midori browser. So much in such a small download and very pleasant to use. Of course, you are limited to its package manager, but that works well and has thousands of well-prepared packages in its repo - so when I don't need a distribution with apt-get or similar, Slitaz is a nice. (Still not moving from Puppy Guydog on the main household computer, however - for its overall speed/usability nothing beats Guydog yet - well done Iguleder).
Hi
Also tried to try Slitaz - only able to get what looks like a row of small desktops across the top of the screen - green squares on pink background....

What vga / slitaz screen bootcodes did you use??
Nothing fancy, just boots using grub4dos from my usb stick with:

title SliTaz rolling
root (hd1,0)
kernel /slitaz_rolling/bzImage rw root=/dev/null
initrd /slitaz_rolling/rootfs.gz
github mcewanw

James C

#1354 Post by James C »

A collaboration between the Mepis and antiX communities has resulted in MX-14.Still in Beta but pretty solid.Debian based naturally. :)

http://mepiscommunity.org/mx
MX-14 is a special version of antiX developed in full collaboration with the Mepis Community. It is a midweight OS designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint.

It relies on the excellent upstream work by Linux, Debian, and Xfce. It also incorporates the independent and innovative development products Whisker Menu, simsu and gottet, QupZilla Browser, smxi and inxi.

james@mx1:~
$ uname -a
Linux mx1 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2~bpo70+1 (2014-01-07) i686 GNU/Linux
Attachments
MX-14.jpg
(45.91 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
MX-14 Beta.jpg
(25.36 KiB) Downloaded 780 times

peebee

#1355 Post by peebee »

mcewanw wrote:Nothing fancy, just boots using grub4dos from my usb stick with:

title SliTaz rolling
root (hd1,0)
That's strange - I have different files from the iso I downloaded - slitaz-rolling.iso......no rootfs.gz.....
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(29.27 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

nooby

#1356 Post by nooby »

I did not want to have several Home/slitas_rolling

If I still have the iso then I test this one too.
title SliTaz rolling
root (hd3,0)
title SliTaz rolling
root (hd0,2)

The hd1.0 how do that relate to that
all the other have like hd0.1
should I change to hd3.0?
Does not the code suggest this is new partition or an external one?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

mcewanw

#1357 Post by mcewanw »

peebee wrote: That's strange - I have different files from the iso I downloaded - slitaz-rolling.iso......no rootfs.gz.....
Ah, no... it was the same but I joined all the rootfs parts into one (and sorry that anyone would be annoyed by my forgetting that step, as I explain in my next post). I'm just off to bed but if I'll post the joining code sometime tomorrow.

EDIT:

As documented here by slitaz forum moderator Ceel:

http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/how-to-do ... windows-os

If you use the 4-in-1 release concatenate the 4 rootfs#.gz in 1:

cat $(ls -r rootfs*.gz) > rootfs.gz
Note that you can also add the option vga=normal to the kernel line. I didn't need that.

nooby: hd1,0 is my usb flash drive on /dev/sdb1
Last edited by mcewanw on Mon 03 Feb 2014, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

nooby

#1358 Post by nooby »

mcewanw wrote:
peebee wrote: That's strange - I have different files from the iso I downloaded - slitaz-rolling.iso......no rootfs.gz.....
Ah, no... it was the same but I joined all the rootfs parts into one. Note that you can also add the option vga=normal to the kernel line. I didn't need that.

nooby: hd1,0 is my usb flash drive on /dev/sdb1
Thanks, how could you fail to realize that only
the bright guys among us would come
to the conclusion that the set up was
tampered with in that way. I did not spent hour on
to boot it but a good 30 to 45 minutes.

So I felt still feel being let down by you.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

mcewanw

#1359 Post by mcewanw »

Actually, I had just forgotten that I had joined them in that way until peebee mentioned the difference with the iso files. It was afterall Jan 19, which is quite a while ago, when I tried slitaz.
github mcewanw

Colonel Panic

#1360 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:A collaboration between the Mepis and antiX communities has resulted in MX-14.Still in Beta but pretty solid.Debian based naturally. :)

http://mepiscommunity.org/mx
MX-14 is a special version of antiX developed in full collaboration with the Mepis Community. It is a midweight OS designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint.

It relies on the excellent upstream work by Linux, Debian, and Xfce. It also incorporates the independent and innovative development products Whisker Menu, simsu and gottet, QupZilla Browser, smxi and inxi.

$ uname -a
Linux mx1 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2~bpo70+1 (2014-01-07) i686 GNU/Linux
Thanks for this one James. I've downloaded it and am using it now :)

With the panel, its desktop is almost a more lightweight alternative to KDE; the clock can be set to several different modes including "fuzzy" mode ("twenty to six", etc.), and QupZilla is a more stable alternative to Konqueror for browsing.

Best,

CP .