Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Nov 2014, 16:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 90 of 113 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, ..., 111, 112, 113 Next
alphadog

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan 2014, 15:35    Post_subject:
Sub_title: Austrumi 2.8.5

Just tried out the latest offering from these Latvian linuxers and boy it is good !
Only one slight problem, I couldn't get a uk keyboard which is a shame 'cos I really like this distro.
Comes with Enlightment and Fvwm .
ftp://austrumi.ru.lv/austrumi-2.8.5.iso
2.jpeg
Description  Fvwm Desktop
jpeg

Download 
Filename  2.jpeg 
Filesize  206.65 KB 
Downloaded  286 Time(s) 
sda1.jpg
Description  Enlightment Desktop
jpg

Download 
Filename  sda1.jpg 
Filesize  91.27 KB 
Downloaded  264 Time(s) 

nubc

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2014, 05:47    Post_subject:  

Austrumi was my first Linux distro, because I could download it on dialup (~65 MB). Always a pleasure to check the latest version (265 MB).
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2014, 06:30    Post_subject:

alphadog wrote:
Just tried out the latest offering from these Latvian linuxers and boy it is good !
Only one slight problem, I couldn't get a uk keyboard which is a shame 'cos I really like this distro.

I've had the same problem. From page 7 of this thread;

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Colonel Panic wrote:

Austrumi is also a nice distro, if you can figure out how to get the menus in English (the distro comes from Latvia).

taken from "/austrumi/message.msg" (or press F1 if booting from CD):

Code:

lang_XX where XX - locale (el, en, es, fr, hu, it, lv, ltg, pt_br, ru, uk)

here it is in my grub4dos menu.lst:

Code:

title Austrumi
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /austrumi/austrumi.lst
kernel /austrumi/bzImage dousb lang_en
initrd /austrumi/initrd.gz

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=561171&search_id=1656396458#561171

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2014, 11:40    Post_subject:  

One thing to watch with Austrumi (and which I've been caught out by) is that "uk" in the language selector doesn't mean British English; it means Ukrainian. Smile
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 03:55    Post_subject: Simplicity vs Puppyland for new users  

Also tried Simplicity 14.1. My download came as a '...141beta.iso'. Its a nice distro. But, PhatSlacko is a better match for, both, features and LAN integrations; especially for new Windows tire-kickers looking for a simple OOTB Linux alternative. At least so, at this point.

I Agree with the earlier commenter of a Puppyland distro(s) which matches against Simplicity.

Here to help

serdal22

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 06:59    Post_subject:  

I have been switching between Ubuntu, Mint, Suse (COuldn't install), Mandriva 13, I think (Couldn't install) till I tried Puppy Linux. I couldn't install Lupu yet, either. Now I am using older Navigatrix, a very Linux distro prepared for sailors and navigators like myself.

I finished d/l'ing Lupuplus 5.2.8.6.4.1.4 and Lupu 5.2.8.6 and latest Navigatrix 0.5 few hours ago.

I will let you know how it goes with Lupuplus.

I even tried to install my first Linux OS distro Mandrake 10.1, but the DVD didn't install. That DVD is very sentimental for me for being my first serious Linux try; and since then (12 years ago?) I have been switching between various Linux distros and other OSs.

BUT I have decided to continue using Linux only from 2014 and forth.

Happy new year everybody, and thanks for your great helps and infos and supports . . .

Serdal
musher0

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2014, 15:58    Post_subject:

alphadog wrote:

Hello, alphadog.

I couldn't agree more: austrumi is one of the best distros around, big or small. And my
problem is similar to yours : I cannot find a French-Canadian keyboard / locale for it.
It's a shame, really; maybe they have limited personnel and need to focus on only a
few languages.

BFN.

musher0

alphadog

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2014, 16:08    Post_subject:  

Hi Musher , came across this http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/making-slackware-and-derivativ.html.
Any help to you ?
May give this a go myself this w/end.

Hey! Who knows I might even end up being classed as a Slacker !! lol

musher0

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2014, 21:14    Post_subject:  

Thanks, alphadog. Interesting reading. But where to find the proper keyboard map in the slackware repos and then add it to the distro? BFN.
GustavoYz

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2014, 18:03    Post_subject:  

In Slackware, I do:
Code:
setxkbmap -layout es &

from my startup script to set keyboard layout.
I can check the list of available layouts in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base and /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst, not sure in that distro...

musher0

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014, 16:37    Post_subject:  

GustavoYz wrote:
In Slackware, I do:
Code:
setxkbmap -layout es &

from my startup script to set keyboard layout.
I can check the list of available layouts in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base and /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst, not sure in that distro...

Hi, GustavoYz.

Yes, that is what I mean:
I believe none of the character maps I need is in the folders you mention.
(cf [French-Canada] and qc [Quebec]).
Do you think it would break anything if I copied the ones from a Puppy?

Thanks in advance.

musher0

PANZERKOPF

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014, 09:10    Post_subject:  

musher0 wrote:
But where to find the proper keyboard map in the slackware repos and then add it to the distro? BFN.

A package with Xkeyboard data files usually named as
xkeyboard-config-$version-noarch.tgz. (or *.txz in newer versions of Slackware).

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan 2014, 02:00    Post_subject:  

Been trying out the latest Slitaz-rolling download. Absolutely amazing distribution. Openbox WM and lots of LXDE components, well-behaved Midori browser. So much in such a small download and very pleasant to use. Of course, you are limited to its package manager, but that works well and has thousands of well-prepared packages in its repo - so when I don't need a distribution with apt-get or similar, Slitaz is a nice. (Still not moving from Puppy Guydog on the main household computer, however - for its overall speed/usability nothing beats Guydog yet - well done Iguleder).
James C

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 01:31    Post_subject:  

Still playing with Debian........ Jessie with MATE.

Code:
james@testing-mate:~$ uname -a
Linux testing-mate 3.12-1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2 (2013-12-29) i686 GNU/Linux
james@testing-mate:~$
Jessie Mate.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   28.11 KB
 Viewed   343 Time(s)

Jessie Mate.jpg

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 13:05    Post_subject:  

I'm now using MeX - Exton's take on Mint - and I have to say I'm impressed. It's based on Mint 16 (Petra) but with a 64-bit kernel and using the Cinnamon desktop.

It's a bit "cut down" from standard Mint and the ISO is less than 1 GB in size(for example, you have to install your own office suite) but it has the unusual property for a Ubuntu / Debian based distro that you can log in as root and with no password if you want. Nice wallpaper too (though I've changed it to something suitably wintry instead)

Worth a look;

http://mex.exton.net/

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 90 of 113 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, ..., 111, 112, 113 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum