Avoiding Tracking - Now with Data

For discussions about security.
Barkin

#41 Post by Barkin »

nooby wrote:I have used NoScript but being as noob
as I am I fail to get how to use AdBlock
You need to subscribe to a filter list , which contains the items to be blocked ...
Attachments
AdBlockPlus , click on ''add filter subscription''.png
click on the button I have coloured yellow and select a list for your country.
(7.93 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

gcmartin

#42 Post by gcmartin »

Wondering ...

nooby

#43 Post by nooby »

Thank Barkin that is why noscript is easier
due to there I only open those I want.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Barkin

#44 Post by Barkin »

nooby wrote:Thank Barkin that is why noscript is easier
due to there I only open those I want.
If any webpage doesn't function properly with AdBlock enabled it can be quickly disabled with a [middle] click of the mouse on the AdBlock icon , (then reload the page) ...
Attachments
middle mouse button click to diasble-enable AdBlock.gif
toggle between enabling and disabling AdBlock by middle-mouse-button clicking on the AdBlock icon
(51.16 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

playdayz

#45 Post by playdayz »

There is a Firefox pet that incorporates information from this discussion.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 375#751375

This is not the end of it, or need not be. Other topics might include:

1. google redirects: when you search google you actually get a hidden redirect so that google knows what sites are visited. There are add-ons that can disable this.

2. typo protection: when you mistype a url you can get a spoof site. This happened to me traveling; I typed gamrin.com and got a site that looked like garmin, with items for map update, etc. They even got me to click something. The add-on url fixer can give some protection from this.

3. Best Firefox settings?

4. Is it worth while to add Ghostery or NoScript to Adblock Plus, or replace Adblock Plus. Or other worthwhile add-ons?
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 15 Jan 2014, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

That is most goodly and industrious of you Mr Playdayz.

The protagonists of puppy will be most grateful for yet another humdillious contribution to their well being.

mike

NickAu

#47 Post by NickAu »

paydayz

I would like not to participate and even interfere to the extent possible, even though I know it will not make any difference to the world at large.
Not true, Can you say Jesus or Muhamed or Buda or any of the other great people who started as 1 voice and now we live by those standards
[b]Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. Hp Compaq 2510p 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz,2 gig ram Booting from 8 gig micro USB + 32 gig SD card instead of HDD[/b]

gcmartin

#48 Post by gcmartin »

AgainComment if you do.

playdayz

#49 Post by playdayz »

gcmartin wrote:
Adblock Edge?
Adblock Edge is a fork of the Adblock Plus version 2.1.2 extension for blocking advertisements on the web. This fork will provide the same features as Adblock Plus 2.X and higher but without "acceptable ads" feature. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... serprofile

However, Adblock Plus allows turning off the "acceptable" advertising "feature," so I just stick with it.

"Acceptable " ads means no flashing, etc., and the word Advertisement written at the top, plus other things -> https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads#criteria