Regulation of Internet

For discussions about security.
rokytnji

#21 Post by rokytnji »

Yeah, I agree. They screwed the pooch. But it is not a one person effort.

Insurance providers, Hospitals, Doctors, The elected congress, are all to blame for this cluster you know what.

I have my own insurance. It went up also. kinda like gasoline and taxes and blah blah blah.

It is hard to Un-Spaghetti this mess we are traveling to slowly, but surely.
It will be interesting to say the least when the bottom falls out.

I know obamacare aint cheap because certain parties watered down the bill so young folks could opt out. Talk about shooting ones self in foot.

There hopefully is a special place in hell for certain politicians and judges and law makers and corporate heads and stock holders, blah blah blah. We all got our own ideas on who should go there. Too bad we can't work together instead of kicking each other in the balls instead.

You have a good one jpeps. I'm gonna watch klondike and watch some real hard tribulations.

Moose On The Loose

#22 Post by Moose On The Loose »

[quote="rokytnji"]
I know obamacare
[quote]

It is also a bit odd it getting called "obamcare" when it started out as a republican idea first under Nixon and then picked up by the heritage foundation and Mitt Romney. What has happened is that a new bowling ball rolling down a ramp has been used to wake up the dog that scares the cat that triggers the flipper that pays for your health care has been put in place of the candle that burned the string that released the balloon that pulled up on the mouse trap that fires the ping pong ball into the goldfish bowl that wakes up the dog.

jpeps

#23 Post by jpeps »

Well today my second attempt at submitting a medicare claim for a client was rejected. The first was because the government couldn't handle a name with an apostrophe. This time, they said that I didn't fold it right. They said that when I fold it in three equal parts, the automatic letter opener can destroy the form. Their solution was to allow one of the folds to be larger than the others, and then there would be more free room in the envelope so that the claim doesn't get mutilated. It's been about four hours since I read it, and I still can't figure out what they're talking about. Of course, only Medicare requires you to manually rewrite the entire form..and it has to be on a pink form. Any non-government carrier allows you to simply mail in a copy. I'd write a book about government agencies, but only the initiated would believe it.

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

Yet many others i have spoken with have not had any problems. But the press (and your specific case) shows that there are issues which need refinements to address.

Also some State programs are also experiencing their own set of issues that they are working thru.

The "Affordable Health Care Act" (the name passed by US Congress; not Obamacare) is watered down due to special interest.

BTW, how many US citizens know what existed in HMO/Insurance Groups prior to the AHCA was passed by US Congress? If you DID NOT SEE the documentary "Sicko" (trailer here) then you most likely are NOT aware of the true nature of the problem and what the AHCA has addressed.

P.S. Those Business companies that chose to cancel Co-Pay for their employees did so by their stock-holders demands; thus the stock-holders who don't actually work for the company saw and used opportunity for greed while confusing the the employees by telling them that government cause their lose. This was Greed as many companies did NOT behave like that. In fact, I'm surprised if Xerox did so, but, ... (I am not asking for validation by saying this last sentence.)

On the Internet (the title), I am hopeful for a FCC or Congressional legislative action designed to re-instate or replace with a law which mandates what the Court system threw out in favor of corporate interest. It could be a marker for the world to get the ISPs out of our traffic destinations interrogations and our internet use.

jpeps

#25 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote: P.S. Those Business companies that chose to cancel Co-Pay for their employees did so by their stock-holders demands
It's the insurance companies that are dropping plans and raising fees to meet the new requirements. Companies are already maxed out on benefit costs, so it's a choice of letting go of employees or going with affordable plans. They are doing both. Yes, if they fail to meet analyst expectations, their stock drops like a rock. Call it greed, fear, survival...whatever.

If a retirement plan of equities and bonds seems immoral, you can always count on the government to invest it for you. When it's time to retire, you get a letter that says "Sorry, but we've run out of money." Nice. Anyway, you can at least know that you've helped keep the wars going in addition to supporting the government pension plans (which include equities and bonds). Rest assured that your trusted representatives will receive only the finest health care for themselves and their families. Always know that if you're part of an organization or political action committee that can raise donations, that they'll be right there to support you.

gcmartin

#26 Post by gcmartin »

... if you're part of an organization or political action committee that can raise donations, that they'll be right there to support you.
"political action committee" are groups who use money to show representative politicians how they should be voting while lobbyist tend to work for industries. What you shared, above, is a polite way of saying that if one PAC offers more money than another PAC, the politicians will only support the PAC ideals with the most money versus doing what's good for the people.

Your US President was right about throwing out the lobbyist and the PACs who cater to Representatives, in favor of gaining Representatives who would do what's good for the people. And Internet Neutrality was what was good for the people.

Thanks for that comment.

jpeps

#27 Post by jpeps »

i just had a long talk today with someone who works in marketing at Beere & Purvis. Her job is to sell insurance policies to businesses. She said that Obamacare has been a complete nightmare. None of the web sites and internet connections they need are even close to operational. She stated that equivalent health insurance polices have risen 140%.
Your US President was right about throwing out the lobbyist and the PACs who cater to Representatives, in favor of gaining Representatives who would do what's good for the people.
"Under the Obama Administration, agencies have gone further than ever before in overturning decades of regulatory precedent, acting without statutory authorization, and otherwise abusing the rulemaking process to create de facto laws without going through Congress."

"As the 2012 report notes, “Corruption is a growing concern as the cronyism and economic rent-seeking associated with the growth of government have undermined institutional integrity.
Last edited by jpeps on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#28 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote:"Under the Obama Administration, agencies have gone further than ever before in overturning decades of regulatory precedent, acting without statutory authorization, and otherwise abusing the rulemaking process to create de facto laws without going through Congress."
Something is very wrong with this statement. It misleads. Unless something has changed, regulations are based upon law. Laws are passed by Congress....NEVER by a President. A President in US ONLY runs the Departments in the Executive Branch. Is that true?

When the Congress ties up all the budget and throws your government into chaos, then when money is removed from enforcement (which business does NOT want) you end with a Administrative arm in US gov't which cannot function for anything good for its people. The labor forces to follow-thru on regulations does NOT exist because of US Congress's actions.

You cannot continue to blame your President for that. Look at your Congress for the continued proliferation of what the 2003 invasion started as the full reason for your problems. If someone tied up the money for your company putting it in a stranglehold forcing administrative reductions, what do you think the outcome would be to your company?

I have heard and talked with those who are had no problem in their ability to sign up for healthcare converage under the Affordable Health Care Act. And I have heard people over 50 say they are happy with what's being done. So let me see,now, who should I believe: "the agent who sells for the Insurance companies" or "the people who use and had no problems acquiring Insurance from their state/federal government websites"?.

Of course everyone knows that its roll-out had problems at both the federal programs and from those states which enacted their own answer. But, like distros in Puppyland, and OSes from Microsoft/Apple/RedHat/etc, we have seen issues at start, and then things get fixed.

But, of course, when it comes to politicizing a problem, some are still angry about the last election. Oh well.

And, getting back to the theme of this thread, the Internet becoming a vehicle for Big Guns versus some sense of fairness for all ISPs is where you currently are seeing as yet another shining example. We really should be considering how people are benefited by that decision.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#29 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:

But, of course, when it comes to politicizing a problem, some are still angry about the last election. Oh well.
I voted for Obama, but that hasn't clouded my vision any.

gcmartin

#30 Post by gcmartin »

And, I'm not suggesting YOU did/didn't. The items I share are not to rebut, but to share what I know and have heard. I hope we can find good understanding where it will benefit this technical internet issues we are seeing and we face, either directly or indirectly.

I have been amazed at how the political forces have caused such a state of unnecessary confusion where people have forgotten what the branches of government actually do. Further, there is suppose to be an inherent believe that ANY government combines its Executive, Legislative, and it Courts to work together for some semblance of reason for the people of their respective countries. In the industrialized nations, one should expect that this process is refined and works well. But, as we can see, this does not always seem to work as maybe, we, the people expect it to.

The court decision on the ability of the Executive office to step in and mandate a reasonable fairness in how Internet traffic is accomplished. That fairness did NOT cost any citizen any money, while promoting opportunity for small as well as rural ISPs to deliver services to community in similar or same as what the large ISPs (Telcos and Cable companies) do without having internet traffic disturbed because some other ISPs saw fit to stop traffic that they don't directly benefit. Thus the citizenry benefited by having that fair-play in place. This paved the way for open access on the Internet highways no matter how you get to the internet.

But, as ex-President explained, that ruling was put in place because Congress DID NOT have any plans on their scheduled docket to address Internet issues beyond SPAM. It was a stop gap waiting for Congress to address with law.

Well you know what Congress has been doing. Again, public and small business benefit is secondary.

We can only hope that something happens where public outcry will cause them to act on the peoples behalf. But, that's just an optimistic view that something fair will be done.

Moose On The Loose

#31 Post by Moose On The Loose »

gcmartin wrote: I have been amazed at how the political forces have caused such a state of unnecessary confusion where people have forgotten what the branches of government actually do.
Civics are not taught in schools in many cases so you would be better to say "don't know" in place of "have forgotten". You may even be suffering partly from the "golden age" effect where people think things were better at some time in the past. When we were children, our parents worried about the bad stuff and protected us from it so we got the impression the world was a better place than it really was. Today we worry about the bad stuff.

Looking back on the era in which I was a child and looking at the level of ignorance about how government worked then, I don't see that all that many folks really knew it back then.
That fairness did NOT cost any citizen any money, while promoting opportunity for small as well as rural ISPs to deliver services to community in similar or same as what the large ISPs (Telcos and Cable companies) do without having internet traffic disturbed because some other ISPs saw fit to stop traffic that they don't directly benefit. Thus the citizenry benefited by having that fair-play in place. This paved the way for open access on the Internet highways no matter how you get to the internet.
There are a few small towns where they run their own little network using routers you can buy from the electronics stores and the connection to the backbone that perhaps the library or the school has. They usually charge a small fee. It works very well. Comcast and Verison etc want the method made illegal because it competes with them. If they survive they may contain the seed of the new media that comes in as the internet as we know it becomes a closed system.

If people can connect to their neighbor and their neighbor on to the next, all the system needs is a way to make the long jumps from neighborhood to neighborhood and country to country and it can make a self forming network that doesn't use the backbone. There is likely to be a fight along the same lines as happened with the TV networks vs VHS vs BetaMax where an option not as good as the best and not as bad as the worst gets taken.
We can only hope that something happens where public outcry will cause them to act on the peoples behalf. But, that's just an optimistic view that something fair will be done.
Unfortunately, there is another reason to worry about this. Since most people get their news and information through the very filter that we hope will be prevented or delayed, the public outcry can't be counted on. The public tends to believe what is on the "news". The "news" is under the editorial control of those who don't want net neutrality. Thinking back to the time when Howard Dean ran for president, we can see a good model for how effective this sort of filtering can be in the shaping of the public's opinion of someone. Howard Dean was getting quite favorable reporting and looked to be on a path towards losing by a modest margin. He made the comment about the big network companies being broken up and right after that the "YEAH!!!!!" tape was all over the place and he was made out to be weird.

jpeps

#32 Post by jpeps »

Government has certainly been making drastic changes away from representative government and civil liberties. I'm confident that public opinion will preside, and that the internet will continue to play a major role.
The latest report in the Wall Street Journal is an example of the ability to challenge big government. It reflects public opinion. The administration does not. People are getting tired of being lied to.

"WASHINGTON—A federal privacy board said Thursday that the government's mass collection of American phone data is illegal and should end, a recommendation that deals another blow to U.S. spying practices."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 0075959020

gcmartin

#33 Post by gcmartin »

Couple of things which are resonating. I'm wondering if some of what is being put forth is a backlash about government or are you promoting that Government only wants special interest to prevail?

Trying to see the relationship being put forth between Healthcare, NSA, and what the US courts did to throw out an "Internet fairness" edict (which is what I thought the thread was discussing). Is this all somehow connected as a part of some strategy you are trying to show us?

jpeps

#34 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote: Is this all somehow connected as a part of some strategy you are trying to show us?
Responded to your PM. This is a complex and multidimensional issue. I'd just as soon leave it here.