LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#141 Post by peebee »

Sage wrote:No problems even on usual suspects. Just seems rather sluggish for a compact distro, especially compared to other Puppies. Would be nice if the v10 FP from the repo were pre-installed?
Hi Sage

LxPup sits on top of / alongside to change the desktop environment and the file manager of the base Puppy it's based on - i.e. Slacko 5.6.5.2 atm - so all the applications come from Slacko....I don't plan to make any radical changes to the base.

It doesn't seem any more sluggish than Slacko on my computers...what aspect do you detect sluggishness in?

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

Re: 180114 pre-release

#142 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote: Thanks Marv

Which thread does that pet come from?

Is it worth including the pet in the /opt/lxpup-xtras folder do you think?

Is there any detriment to including it in the build? or should it remain an option?

Any idea why it has never made it into woof / mainline puppies?

Cheers
peebee
Hi peebee,

It's from the Slacko testing (for 5.7) thread, about 2/3rds of the way down this page: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=255
Laptops seem to vary widely wrt how they handle lid closure and I only have intel based core 2 duo or Pentium M fujitsu lifebooks to test on so really don't know if it has any wider applicability. Works fine on my stable. All it really does is screen out the lid open events so I don't get a second 'false suspend' on opening the lid. I haven't encountered a situation where it hurts and have used variants of it in a number of pups and in my hybrid alphaOS321, but it certainly isn't a cureall for the non-suspend blues.

Didn't post the link to the post because other than quoting and I'm averse to quoting myself, I've not found a neat way to link to a particular post, just to a page.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#143 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote: Didn't post the link to the post because other than quoting and I'm averse to quoting myself, I've not found a neat way to link to a particular post, just to a page.
:? The link to a post is the little file symbol to the left of the post title - just right click on it and copy the link..... :D

e.g. this post is http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 307#752307
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#144 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote: Didn't post the link to the post because other than quoting and I'm averse to quoting myself, I've not found a neat way to link to a particular post, just to a page.
:? The link to a post is the little file symbol to the left of the post title - just right click on it and copy the link..... :D

e.g. this post is http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 307#752307
THANKS :!: Only took me a decade.... and someone who knows :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#145 Post by Sage »

Thanks for your response, pb. I would always admit that I don't make systematic analyses of distro and app speeds but have extensive experience of many releases over decades. In the case of LXP it doesn't seem to approach Slacko nor even X-Slacko 's smoothness and alacrity on boot-up, app opening and use. At the moment I am mainly testing on an XP2400 +/1.25Gb and SiS/3GHz/1.5Gb, alternating with an n-F3A and i2.99/~625Gb. Maybe Bill or James, our expert testers will come up with figures to show my subjective assessments ill-founded?
The continuing tragedy, in my opinion, is that X-Slacko lies languishing for lack of time/developers/interest when it offers the most promise of mainline Puppy forks. There are/have been gurus on this Forum capable of taking it another notch forward, but one has to respect that they, too, have regular lives, commitments, interests elsewhere.
Having said all that, LXP is a nice piece of work that runs competently for many punters.

Sage

#146 Post by Sage »

Puzzled! The PPM is now reporting v10 FP not available in nluug nor ibiblio repos? It was there earlier. Maybe you've removed it and incorporated it into the base .iso?

greengeek

#147 Post by greengeek »

peebee wrote: :? The link to a post is the little file symbol to the left of the post title - just right click on it and copy the link.....
And another big thanks from me too. What a time saver this gem of information will be. Much appreciated peebee!

Billtoo

#148 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to hard drive, computer is a gateway desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Mon 20 Jan 2014 on LxPup 14.01 Linux 3.10.21-4 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (602x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.38

I installed the proprietary nvidia driver.
Installed kdegames from ppm.
Kdegames includes qt-482 so I tried installed a Fotowall pet that I
made in Quirky 6.1 and it works.

My built-in wireless didn't work but my trusty linksys usb adapter
works fine with the network wizard.
Linksys WUSB54GC 802.11g Adapter [ralink rt73]
Network controller: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
Hardinfo doesn't work properly, clicking on it from the menu brings up
an empty window with another empty window inside that one.

This lxpup isn't working as well on this pc as x-slacko-1.1 pae which uses slacko
5.6 final, looking forward to lxpup with slacko 5.7 final.

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(38.03 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
screenshot2.jpg
(68.17 KiB) Downloaded 495 times

peebee

#149 Post by peebee »

I have found that there are 2 clipboard managers active in the 180114 pre-release - this may just possibly be a contributor to "sluggishness" - suggest deleting /usr/bin/lxclipboard and then rebooting/restarting the window manager. I will delete it in the next (pre-)release.

@Billtoo - do you see the Hardinfo problem on Slacko5.6.5.2 vanilla? I think it may be nvidia related but need to do more investigation.

Thanks
peebee

Billtoo

#150 Post by Billtoo »

peebee wrote:
@Billtoo - do you see the Hardinfo problem on Slacko5.6.5.2 vanilla? I think it may be nvidia related but need to do more investigation.

Thanks
peebee
Hi peebee,

I did a manual frugal install to a fast SDHC card, pc is an Acer
desktop pc.
video-info-glx 1.5.1 Tue 21 Jan 2014 on LxPup 14.01 Linux 3.10.21-4 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4

Hardinfo is still not working properly when I click on the menu entry,
same as the nvidia install.
I can get a report with it but it's not working the way it should,
putting up empty windows that don't want to close.

EDIT:
I had a problem with the SDHC card so I did a manual frugal install to
the hard drive of my Acer desktop.
The problem with hardinfo is still there, this one uses the linksys
usb adapter so wireless works fine.
I added some pets that I made in X-slacko-1.1 and they all work fine
in Lxpup so overall this is working great.
Attachments
xbmc-screen.jpg
(45.97 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
hardinfo.jpg
(18.14 KiB) Downloaded 423 times

Sage

#151 Post by Sage »

suggest deleting /usr/bin/lxclipboard
Interesting. First X-restart only thing working was DT prefences panel. CTL-ALT-BkSPCE and xwin brought everything back. Otherwise, yes, maybe it is a bit slicker, but get the feeling there are other things not quite right?

Marv

hardinfo in LxPup 180114

#152 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote: @Billtoo - do you see the Hardinfo problem on Slacko5.6.5.2 vanilla? I think it may be nvidia related but need to do more investigation.
Thanks
peebee
I also have the 'empty windows' in Hardinfo on my intel i915 laptop in 180114. I don't currently have a vanilla Slacko 5.6.5.2 but on a pristine boot (frugal install) into vanilla Slacko 5.6.5.1 on that laptop the issue is not there, Hardinfo starts up normally.

Sage

#153 Post by Sage »

Yup - got the Hardinfo features, too. Can't even delete the blank windows!

peebee

#154 Post by peebee »

It's a theme problem - hardinfo doesn't like the Lubuntu-default theme - if you go into the Desktop - Change Appearance and select another theme - e.g. Nodoka-Aqua then the problem goes away.

I will delete the offending theme from the iso and ship with another default...

Many thanks to everybody for testing and finding this.

BTW - the same theme when selected in LxPup 13.11 has the same problem.

Cheers
peebee

Sage

#155 Post by Sage »

It's a theme problem
Too much choice? Couple of themes, 3or4 wallpapers should suffice, especially if those could be expanded as add-ons from the repo?

Billtoo

#156 Post by Billtoo »

peebee wrote:

Thanks
peebee
Hi peebee,

I went back to my first install on the gateway desktop and changed the
theme, deleted the extra lxclipboard too and rebooted.

Hardinfo works fine now, the nvidia driver that I'm using is about a
week old.
About the only problem left that I know of is the built-in wireless
adapter is not supported.

Summary
Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 3104MB (178MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System LxPup - 14.01
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 21 Jan 2014 04:11:24 PM EST
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-21_162005.jpg
(65.07 KiB) Downloaded 1739 times

Terry H

Duplicate dock displayed

#157 Post by Terry H »

I have had LXPup 13.11 as a frugal instal on my laptop for a couple of weeks now. Last night I noticed a strange occurrence. There was a second dock underneath the wbar dock. It was only visible when I clicked on the wbar icons. I have changed nothing that is included with LXPup.

I changed the wbar config file to move the wbar position to be able to view the second dock. I'm not sure what dock it was, but it contained both PacManFM and Rox icons.

After I restarted X at one point in attempting to check out what dock it was, it vanished. So this duplicate dock appeared and then disappeared.

Any ideas on which dock or how it may have just happened to appear?

peebee

Re: Duplicate dock displayed

#158 Post by peebee »

Terry H wrote:I have had LXPup 13.11 as a frugal instal on my laptop for a couple of weeks now. Last night I noticed a strange occurrence. There was a second dock underneath the wbar dock. It was only visible when I clicked on the wbar icons. I have changed nothing that is included with LXPup.

I changed the wbar config file to move the wbar position to be able to view the second dock. I'm not sure what dock it was, but it contained both PacManFM and Rox icons.

After I restarted X at one point in attempting to check out what dock it was, it vanished. So this duplicate dock appeared and then disappeared.

Any ideas on which dock or how it may have just happened to appear?
Very strange - from your description it sounds like the optional top panel - but that should only display if you've explicitly selected it.....same menu where wbar is as an option.

Can't explain it, but if it does appear again you can simply delete the panel by right clicking on a gap between the icons.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

#159 Post by peebee »

250114 pre-release version of LxPup14.01 is available from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... reRelease/

also delta file from 180114 version.

a few bugs squashed, default theme changed to Nodoka Aqua, new woof-ce Fontmanager now works etc.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-25_075032.png
(129.91 KiB) Downloaded 1527 times

Marv

#160 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:250114 pre-release version of LxPup14.01 is available from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... reRelease/

also delta file from 180114 version.

a few bugs squashed, default theme changed to Nodoka Aqua, new woof-ce Fontmanager now works etc.

Cheers
peebee
Delta applied, boot with previous savefile (frugal Grub4Dos install on Fujitsu intel core 2 duo i915, iwlwifi lifebook). Boots and connects just fine. Lifes little mysteries.. Hardinfo now works fine with my adwaita, goldrush, and Openbox-Human-Like themes. Before applying the delta, it gave the extra boxes with those themes which I just closed and ignored.

One question. Changing themes, the Openbox menu (rightclick on desktop) follows the theme correctly, as do window borders, headers, colors, etc The main menu, browser menus, and the sidebar and selected item colors in PCmanFM do not. They seem to be set at some default active bg and selected item colors. .gtkrc-2.0, .Xdefaults, .Xresources all seem ok. Theme correct in the openbox conf file. Any suggestions where to look? I've played with quite a number of themes and this behavior seems consistent.