gtk-youtube-viewer (for lots of pups)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sindi

Full install - how much RAM?

#161 Post by sindi »

How much RAM does a full install of Wary 5.5 use? Does it still start things like cupsd and ROX-filer at startup?

How does the gtk viewer deal with the new youtube DASH video format, which requires downloading separate video and audio (at least with youtube-dl)? I read that only very recent mplayer can reassemble and play them together. You get a choice of three audio qualities and DASH video resolutions. The 480p regular mp4 is no longer available at youtube. A lot of people are annoyed at youtube for constantly changing things.

ardvark

#162 Post by ardvark »

This works great, thank you. :)

A Puppyized version of Minitube.

Regards...

greengeek

Re: Full install - how much RAM?

#163 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote: A lot of people are annoyed at youtube for constantly changing things.
Youtube is intent on leading its customers by the nose towards a point of no return where YT will be able to fully control (and charge for) access to content.

Since they didn't own that content prior to it being uploaded to YT it is time to stop adding such content to YT, and find / make an alternative.

Till then, it will continue to be a moving target that moves gradually away from any open source philosophy and further towards an "App Store" type of approach.

Semme

#164 Post by Semme »

Hey PhilB, does yours still load mplayer when videos are dbl-clked?

I see 3.0.9's out. Is there a code line that can be adjusted or, will you update any of the offerings on your opening post?

If need be, I'm sure the Wheezy pkg would work with Lucid..

Danks.

666philb

#165 Post by 666philb »

hi semme

3.0.2 is still working for me fine .. in both lucid and precise. plays video .... downloads video

maybe try reinstalling the .pet

i've got 3.0.9 working in precise ..... will look into lucid and see if the wheezy one works.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Semme

#166 Post by Semme »

+Config folder, done. Still, some do, some don't. I suspect YT's :roll: @ it again.

One I've had trouble with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHfVJ0NLCQ

Hey, not overly important @ the moment, so, not to worry..

mikeb

#167 Post by mikeb »

+Config folder, done. Still, some do, some don't. I suspect YT's Rolling Eyes @ it again.

One I've had trouble with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHfVJ0NLCQ

Hey, not overly important @ the moment, so, not to worry..
ok tested it...youtube download button gets nothing and movgrab says only webm available and fails to download. Also one of those that my older flashplayer will not play...i assume for the same reasons gtk-youtube-viewer will not work. Indeed not all content on you tube is the same and its amazing how possessive sites get of content they got for free... :D

mike

edit not sure if relevant but link was to googlevideo.com.....

Semme

#168 Post by Semme »

Hey Mike, this *still* works >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-youtube/

Yeah, Movegrab I'm aware of. As for this, I have yet to try the 3.0.9 build. :arrow: Ditto on the content..

mikeb

#169 Post by mikeb »

Hey Mike, this *still* works >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-youtube/

Yeah, Movegrab I'm aware of. As for this, I have yet to try the 3.0.9 build. Arrow Ditto on the content..
ah ha lol...you just reminded me to check...i still have version 1.5.3 on here...that may explain a lot.... :D

Ok guess its time to update it....

The way you tube obfuscate the url now is enough to make you go cross-eyed so I leave others to do it :)

mike

sindi

movgrab sees only webm format

#170 Post by sindi »

movgrab, when I ask for the flv, often tells me only webm is available, but if I keep trying
eventually downloads the 3gp for me. If it says wait 20 sec to retry, quit and start over.
Does the latest version download flv when asked to?

Semme

#171 Post by Semme »

Cli program (w/backgrounding) that can, it's doc, and a brief example:

Code: Select all

youtube-dl -f 18 -o - 'youtube_url' > /destination_directory/output_file.ext
If "-U" fails, wget or "save target as" the 2014.02.24 binary >> md5=97baf61ea2c516052a99876d97bf975c
Attachments
youtube-dl_help.txt.gz
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

mikeb

#172 Post by mikeb »

Hmm updated addon still failing..odd

But youtube-dl grabs it no problem.
used python 2.7 to run it on.

mike

Semme

#173 Post by Semme »

Which vid Mike? Maybe spoof your user agent?

mikeb

#174 Post by mikeb »

This one...been using as a test for several methods.

user agent...hmmm will try that...

My only thoughts otherwise was that a particular combination of characters confuses some methods...had that problem with the dropbox and url encoding solved it in that case.

mike

Semme

#175 Post by Semme »

Mine, 27.0.1 works for that. You run an older Fox.. which?

mikeb

#176 Post by mikeb »

3.6..... though I did get the latest version of the addon working on it ;) .... it may be using a function that does not exist on the older version I assume though is fine for others still. movgrab behaves the same and no sign of a newer version when I last looked.

I find javascript semi incomprehensible plus the code obfustication used by you tube is confusing in itself so not something I am equipped to debug much further.

youtube-dl ...I have a python sfs thats just a few megs and it is a well behaved downloader.

When flashvideoreplacer stopped I looked at using the code from mp4 downloader to keep it working but found it too much for my tiny mind.

Just keeping abreast of the options for handling you tube really.

mike

Semme

#177 Post by Semme »

Yeah, probably somewhat sketchy on the dated browser.

That the add-on works with recent builds and youtube-dl in general.. should be enough for the moment.

mikeb

#178 Post by mikeb »

That the add-on works with recent builds and youtube-dl in general.. should be enough for the moment.
Open source 1 - You tube 0

;)

greengeek

#179 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHfVJ0NLCQ

ok tested it...youtube download button gets nothing and movgrab says only webm available and fails to download. Also one of those that my older flashplayer will not play....
I'm able to view and download this vid using TurbopupAlpha3a by pulling the flash from /tmp. Playing with gxine. Flash=9.0r159

mikeb

#180 Post by mikeb »

I'm able to view and download this vid using TurbopupAlpha3a by pulling the flash from /tmp. Playing with gxine. Flash=9.0r159
ye olde way... we just want to get like the mp4 sort of thing.

I can download to /tmp using 10.0.15 too ....

mike