On-screen keyboard

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Slickness

On-screen keyboard

#1 Post by Slickness »

How about it? Sometimes I have my keyboard hooked up to another PC I'm working on. I would just want it to do some simple things like doing a Google search,or to FTP files somewhere.

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

You bring up a very valid point Slickness, thanks! The Gnome desktop has an onscreen keyboard built-in which one may simply call up from the menu and use with the mouse: Simple and efficient, the way it aught to be. Seeing that Puppy from 4.0 and up is solely gtk2-based, I wouldn't see any reason why such a small, simple item couldn't be easily ported over into Puppy and not take up much room.

Hopefully someone with programming skills will see this. Even better Slickness? You could request a .pet of such a thing in the "Additional Software" section of this forum.

Great idea!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

trapster

#3 Post by trapster »

This virtual keyboard was made by GuestToo a long time ago as a .pup
I took some things out and created a .pet
The pet includes libXaw3d.so.7.0 and a symlink to the required libXaw3d.so.6.
It will create an entry under Menu > Utility
Original post

xvkbd-2.6.pet
147kb
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

gary101

#4 Post by gary101 »

Cool!! 8)

Thanks for that trapster!

I have got a Fujitsu stylistic ST4120p tablet arriving next week and have been putting information together re the touchscreen etc for when it gets here. An on-screen keyboard will be a must to make the best of this machine!

Feels like Xmas is coming early this year (boyz toyz syndrome) :D

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hey thanks Trapster for taking the time to scourage the forum to find that for Gary! I really appreciate that Trap. :) Myself with the half-functioning braincell here never even thought about doing a forum search for the guy to see whether a .pup/.pet had been made or not. -shakes head-

It's people of your quality Trapster that help to make this forum the special place that it is: Warm, friendly, and above all---helpful, above and beyond the call of duty. You've helped to place us on the map.

Once again Trap: Thanks for the help!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

gary101

#6 Post by gary101 »

Eyes only

I know of very many ways to search the forum and would have found that information when I was good and ready. It was pure coincidence that Trapster found an old thread and brought it to light at the correct time, and because it will be useful to me I feel it only correct to give my thanks.

If you can find anything wrong in this then I suggest you put your "half a functioning brain cell" to looking up what manners means.

End of rant

trapster

#7 Post by trapster »

I don't believe Eyes-Only meant anything by his comments except to say thank you.

I dug this up because I had to use this years ago when I had a lappy with some faulty keys. It had gotten lost with all my upgrades since I started with the 1.0something series and my new (used) lappy. Someday...all the old .pups should be gone thru to upgrade (if possible) to .pets.
Some of the structures inside pups were for the older versions.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Eyes-Only

#8 Post by Eyes-Only »

My apologies Gary, please! I meant no offense whatsoever. I was thanking Trapster for helping, and for thinking of something that my damaged brain (due to numerous strokes and a genetic inherited illness) would have normally thought to have done in the past---as recently as six months ago---but failed to do so now.

I truly meant no offense to you Gary whatsoever, and was extremely thankful for Trapster having come to the rescue here by finding the onsreen keyboard---which I myself will be needing as well as the motor control to my hands becomes increasingly out of my control.

I know, sometimes I should think more before saying such things on open forum, especially in front of people who do not know me (Trapster does and realised the reference to "half a functioning braincell" or whatever I said), and not wander off so while typing. Better still, I could have thanked him in pvt. msg.

Again Gary, my sincere apologies for having offended you, and once again Trap, thank you for your help.

Guess it's time for me to retire...

Tristement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

gary101

#9 Post by gary101 »

Eyes-Only

Thank you for your kind apologies, I am glad to hear that the post was not meant in the way that I read it. I apologise if this unfortunate incident has upset you.

I have not participated in many threads recently because of the negative comments made by some and the personal attacks I have witnessed. Because of all the negativity going on I guess I have become a bit over sensitive to it. I feel that we should all be here to help each other without reserve.

Anyway, glad its all a misunderstanding and hope we can be friends

All the best

Gary

cthisbear

#10 Post by cthisbear »

" my damaged brain (due to numerous strokes and "

Maybe I should send you a pic of me.

Mate! you will suddenly feel so good about yourself.

Cheers... Eyes-Only...you're a good bloke.

Chris.

sindi

xvkbd works perfectly in pulp03 4.1.2-based puppy

#11 Post by sindi »

I copied the binary to /usr/local/bin instead of installing. Puppy 4 already has the correct libXaw3d and I don't want to overwrite it with an older one. I don't need the .desktop file.

Amazingly the link to the pet still works over 5 years later.
I will install to a 2008 laptop (our newest) with bad keys.

I ran across xvkbd when someone gave us a 2008 netbook with dead keyboard and Arch linux.

mmmrr

xvkbd still good to go on precise puppy 2.7.1 in 2019

#12 Post by mmmrr »

hi all,

i tried two different on screen keyboards from repostories
without success. would n't start from command line, could
not find dependencies etc.

forum search lead me to xvybd [pet above]
link worked, pet installed, shows in package manager
if uninstall needed...

keyboard link to manual could not find it but no matter.
the key highlighted is the focus key which lets you click
on the open page of an editor if needed.

Kernel : Linux 3.9.11 (i686)
Version : #1 SMP Sat Jul 27 19:40:54 GMT-8 2013
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Distribution : Precise Puppy - 5.7.1

big cheers, mm