Searchmonkey revisited.

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
mikeb

Searchmonkey revisited.

#1 Post by mikeb »

Ok thought I would start a thread rather than being at the end of one for a change.

Always used search monkey cos its fast but the user interface seemed a bit quirky. I fiddled with it and reduced it to 2 tabs.
I recently had a further play and its now some sort of power search thingy and I also finished off some functions and removed some redundant stuff and solved a couple of bugs such as the date parameter control was broken.

Most changes are in the user interface so it should just work as it always did but any problems let me know so I can run away.

This is also my second pet I have ever built so I do bend to convention at times

Enjoy
Attachments
searchmonkey-0.8.1-notabs.pet
(93.11 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
searchdodah.png
(191.57 KiB) Downloaded 1969 times
Last edited by mikeb on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

don922

reload "new" Searchmonkey on top of old Searchmonkey

#2 Post by don922 »

I am using Lupu-528.005 which comes with Searchmonkey.

I don't think I can remove the existing Searchmonkey so can I load this "new" no-tabs version right on top of the existing program?
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

I think you would be fine installing over the top... redundant settings will be ignored. Thats if it happens to be in the same location...you could always extract the binary only and replace that ...the rest is the same...its a simple bunny.

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#4 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

is it possible to get any of these tiny search utilities to search for text within files and not just titles? even if you had to add the tools (like unrtf--forgot what the .doc one was called...) for the various file types, it would still be a nice alternative for when you don't want to have recoll (which relies on building sometimes enormous databases) go through its bit.

actually, even a way to just use it to search through plain text files would be most cool. does this feature already exist?

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

enable contents match... contents section....top right section of the gui.
The image shows the result of a quick text search.

I find it very useful for compiling when locating functions

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#6 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:enable contents match... contents section....top right section of the gui.
The image shows the result of a quick text search.

I find it very useful for compiling when locating functions

mike
awesome. thanks, mike.

do you know of any utilities that do batch conversion to plain text?

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Not of the top of my head...I would guess something in perl or python perhaps.

Content search might still pick out items in rtf for example...suck and see.
One thing that is lacking is unicode support but I could not find anything in linux to do that and resorted to a windows program Agent Ransack.

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#8 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:Not of the top of my head...I would guess something in perl or python perhaps.

Content search might still pick out items in rtf for example...suck and see.
One thing that is lacking is unicode support but I could not find anything in linux to do that and resorted to a windows program Agent Ransack.

mike
(catdoc is the name of the .doc converter.) i can remember reading that odt is basically a wrapper for a zipped text file, so maybe it's possible with that format as well.

recoll works well enough, but using it for a quick folder search sometimes requires one to uncheck boxes and stuff. oh well.

darren

just remembered there's a gnome utility that does it. think it might be called Gnome Search Utility :)

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Just changed the pet in the first post.

Apparently it gave the menu generation in puppy indigestion so thats been fixed. The program itself is the same so only reinstall if you have had a menu problem.

mike

amigo

#10 Post by amigo »

Do you have a tarball of the modified sources, or a patch against the original sources?

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Yes no problem

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmh0preqzfhvv ... ar.gz?dl=1

and the earlier one with tabs..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mu73lnnciwu2 ... ar.gz?dl=1

One thing that might be nice would be unicode content searching...I was unable to find anything in linux land to do that.

I am a 'c' novice ... I find such things slow going :)

mike

Luc A.

#12 Post by Luc A. »

Hello.
It's my first post, so let me to present myself : I've became the developper for the Gtk Branch of Searchmonkey since dec. 2017, Adam, the original coder, remains the team manager. As you can see, I'm not fluent in english ;-)

The team has launched for now the 0.8.2 revision, wich can be found on SourceForge. Here is the link : https://sourceforge.net/projects/search ... edomCookie

We are very interested by the job of MikeB, and wish that Mike contacts our team, if he is interested.

For me, I working on the 0.8.3 release of Searchmonkey, where I've done various things :
- simplified the GUI
- corrected various bugs.
- and, added deep file search in DOC-X, ODT and PDF files.

Here is a screenshot (you can now understand why I'm not fluent in english) : deep search in ODT files with accented chars (see the word désir = desire in english).

I've also started the work to migrate SearchMonkey to GTK 3.0.

The team searches also to add more translations/localizations : for now, we have the english (of course) the french, russian. If you are interested to add more translations, feel free to contact us.
SearchMonkey is aimed for low specs computer : my home computer is a 12 year old, with a single core Sempron processor ...
Regards.

Luc

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

Welcome to the kennels, Luc_A. !!!

It's good to know that SearchMonkey is being looked after and still developed.

Please feel free to use the PM if you need to contact a forum member individually.

As for me, search in odt and pdf documents is certainly a feature that I need at times.

Bonne continuation !
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Luc A.

#14 Post by Luc A. »

Thanks Musher0 ;-)
You have a PM.

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

hello luc
thank you for you interest and glad to hear the project is being updated.
Sorry for the slow reply...I do not get notifications.
As you see its been 3 years since my last post here so I am a little behind but I will take a look on sourceforge.
Also you are welcome to use this thread or create another for anything you feel is useful
bon chance
mike

Luc A.

#16 Post by Luc A. »

Hello Mike !
Thanks for your reply ! And once more time, congratulations for your job with SearchMonkey.

I hope you and other users can take a trip with the new versions of Searchmonkey (0.8.2 and above).

Adam, the Team manager, and me (for the Gtk side) are thinking about the future design of Searchmonkey, so all suggestions by users are welcome ;-)
We want to get a smart, clean and light APP.

Regards.
Luc