gtk-youtube-viewer (for lots of pups)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
keniv

#121 Post by keniv »

Hi Barkingmad

3.0.2 works to some extent for me in Lupu 528 in that older video plays but newer stuff does not work. I believe that changes have been made by youtube and think this could be the cause. I did try 3.0.9 on slacko. I can see data is being downloaded but it does not play. I think this might be to do with the fact that I can't download the video drive for my hardware from the slacko repository.

Regards,

Ken.

sindi

gtk-youtube-viewer for puppy 4?

#122 Post by sindi »

The 3.0.2 wary version works nicely but I cannot get my DELL D600 to run at full 1.6GHz with wary 5.5, only with Puppies 4.1-4.3. (cpufreq not working right). What must be added to Puppy 4 besides perl 5.10 to use the Youtube Viewer? (And where can I find a perl 5.10 package?).

Youtube is almost watchable at 600MHz but the sound goes way out of sync. I love the mplayer keyboard controls.

sindi

Updating puppy 4.3.2 to work with wary gtk-youtube-viewer

#123 Post by sindi »

Using pets from Carolina linux at archive.org I updated
Perl from 5.8.8 to 5.10.1
glib to 2.32 (I got a message saying 2.28 was needed and a segfault)
The glib pet required glibc 2.9 so I updated glibc from 2.6 to 2.11.3 using
a deb package.

It still segfaults - what else needs updating in puppy 4?

mikeb

#124 Post by mikeb »

It still segfaults - what else needs updating in puppy 4?
A messy business... would be easier to get something like a greasemonkey based downloader for the browser instead.

mike

sindi

How to stream Youtube in Puppy 4

#125 Post by sindi »

I don't mind doing a bunch of updates - they might also let puppy 4 use
other wary packages.

I want to stream not download Youtube. Downloading a 30 min video
would take about 30 min (at 2.4MBps average, 360p).

I can view streaming youtube small-screen with puppy 4 inside a browser
at 1.6GHz. Or maybe someone will fix cpufreq in wary. Wary also won't
boot with loadlin, or even with lilo unless I put the files in sda1 (or
the first 8GB?). Puppy 4 has a lot more boot options.

sindi

youtube-viewer usable at 600Mhz streaming 240p

#126 Post by sindi »

I can stream with sound not going out of sync at 240p. The video appears onscreen at the same size as on PocketPCP (2006 model with WM6, 360x240 resolution, 312MHz cpu, maybe 64MB RAM). It looks much worse full-screen.

Maximum cpu usage is 27% for mplayer and 9% for X. Memory usage totals about 75MB if I kill ROX-filer (which gives a solid background - I also changed to dark grey wallpaper), blinky, freememapplet and cupsd. I might try this on a 233MHz laptop with 96MB memory and a swap file just for fun. These older laptops make good internet radios with mplayer - they often even have volume dials.

The image is often highly pixelated (an assemblage of visible colored squares), which I don't think it was at 360p.

youtube-viewer -2 -hardframedrop (or -framedrop), which has been helpful when playing DVDs with mplayer on a 500MHz cpu, does not remove the
pixelated effect.

Thanks for the viewer. What else needs updating in puppy 4?

mikeb

#127 Post by mikeb »

So have you not tried playing the downloading video ...that tends to solve the problem of waiting.? I do it all the time.... either with a downloader or pausing the video and playing from tmp...either is good and gives smooth full screen on old machine...after all what do you thing gtk-youtube-viewer is doing...oh exactly the same...so don't dismiss good advice without trying it first

but perhaps you prefer to struggle... many do it seems

mike

sindi

playing youtube video as it downloads

#128 Post by sindi »

How do I play a downloading video from /tmp or elsewhere with puppy 4?

I just spent a few hours failing to get lilo working on a 233MHz TP560x.
The non-pnp ISA cs4236 sound works now. 160MB RAM (EDO).

mikeb

#129 Post by mikeb »

Click on the file.... I usually have vlc or mplayer to do it but xine might be fine too.

/tmp needs older flashplayer. (10.0?)... using http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105 just click on the downloading file.... sometimes right click and media player needed if the magic mime fails to detect it.

I tried getting gtk-youtube-viewer working on puppy 4.12 so just wanted to save you a few headaches.

happy viewing

sindi

Streaming MP4 while downloading from Youtube

#130 Post by sindi »

The suggested script says it is used in conjunction with a browser.
My goal is to stream Youtube without a browser on computers not fast enough to stream with a browser. There are free sites that convert Youtube to downloadable MP4 but I think they all need javascript (graphical) browsers to work. I don't want to download and then exit the browser to play because it takes as long to download as to play.

I could not get Wary to boot on my Thinkpad 560X 233MHz with 160MB RAM. Lilo won't work and it won't boot from the spinning CD in the base station. BIOS setup (hold F1 during boot) does not mention boot order. Too old to boot from USB CD-ROM drive.

The mplayer in Pulp03 (4.1.2-based) looks like it is playing but no sound (though aplay does work). xine played an mp3 file once but never again. Another binary of mplayer (compiled for P55C - i586) works on this 560x in an older linux (basiclinux) but not in Pulp (the required libc6-based libs are not recognized by ldd).

If there is some way to stream MP4 without using a graphical browser to download I will try to get some mplayer working in some version of puppy 4. Mplayer can also use vesa or fb instead of x11 on compatible hardware. (The 560X does not do framebuffer). They use less RAM than X.

Barkingmad

#131 Post by Barkingmad »

Ken (back up the thread a bit)

I've just tried this again (viewer 3.0.02 on Lupu 5.2.8) and it plays stuff posted in the last day or 2 OK for me so maybe it is related to your video card drivers. Have you tried different video output options in Mplayer (edit > preferences)? I believe those first in the list should be more compatible but need greater CPU speed as they get less help from the vid card.

Just some thought

Will

rokytnji

Re: Version 3.0.9 for Slacko5.6

#132 Post by rokytnji »

peebee wrote:Here's version 3.0.9 to try on Slacko5.6

gtk_youtube_viewer-3.0.9_slacko5.6.pet

Seems to work OK on Slacko5.6 but on LxPup13.11 it has a stange interaction with the panel which it blanks - however the panel does "recover" later...

Cheers
peebee
Fresh install on Full Install (not frugal) of and on

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: puppypc16545 Kernel: 3.4.52 i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.1) 
           Desktop: JWM git-835 Distro: Slacko Puppy Linux Linux 3.4.52 [ arch]
Machine:   System: manda (portable) product: Intel powered classmate PC version: Gen 1.5L
           Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: CM94515A.86A.0024.2008.0715.1716 date: 07/15/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Core CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3193.16 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.org: 1.12.4 driver: intel tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ec00 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 30.0GB (35.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HS030GB size: 30.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 26G used: 9.9G (41%) fs: ext3 ID: swap-1 size: 2.22GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 78 Uptime: 4:03 Memory: 232.7/1000.2MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 1.9.18 
Seems to work OK (I can watch but I did not like the way it wants to log me in.It watches and downloads videos OK, I wish I could manually log in though instead of using a code like in the older versions.

Warnings Log from GTK-Viewer says:
[Thu Jan 16 10:55:39 2014]: [400 Bad Request] Error occurred on URL: https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/token
Saying it was OK and I accepted terms for permission to use their app to login. Got my authorization . code and pasted it in. Of course I am not logged in. I can log in in my browser but GTK-Viewer does not acknowledge that login. Just feedback.

Maybe a bad spot in the universe settled on my google connection today. :)

Edit: screwing around with it. I found a better error message maybe
Can't locate MIME/Base64.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/WWW/YoutubeViewer.pm line 229.

The module MIME::Base64 is required!

To install the module, just type in terminal:
sudo cpan MIME::Base64
I won't

Code: Select all

cpan MIME::Base64[
because I am not sure what the message means yet. Will wait for feedback.

mikeb

#133 Post by mikeb »

sindi...last time I post on this.

Yes its a browser addon.... it works even if flashblock is used so effectively flash can disabled.

You do not have to download the whole video to play it...you can play a download as it comes... just like flash does really but with a player with low overhead. The browser is left idling in the background unless of course you wish to browse and watch at the same time.

I suggest this BECAUSE its what we used on old machines (pentium 3 and even a 2) that we have that do not handle using flash video well and no one has to wait for anything.

gtk-youtube-viewer is nice but is no picnic to add to 4.12 (has anyone?) ..my suggestion is easy and works.

Note that gtk-youtube-viewer is still browsing you tube in its own way and uses similar resources to an idling browser.

Ok end of final post so folks can get on with their stuff

mike

keniv

#134 Post by keniv »

Barkingmad (Will)

I think the issue might be to do with hardware although it did work well in the past. The old Toshiba I use is 800MHz with 320MB ram. I had the chance to use Puppy 528 with a Dell with 2GHz 1GB ram booting from a flash drive and all the youtube stuff I tried worked. The old machine still plays some of it. With it I usually chose a lowish resolution.

Regards,

Ken.

greengeek

Re: Streaming MP4 while downloading from Youtube

#135 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:My goal is to stream Youtube without a browser on computers not fast enough to stream with a browser. .
Hi sindi, did you evaluate the cde option? Does this offer any hope for 4.12?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=61

rokytnji

Re: Streaming MP4 while downloading from Youtube

#136 Post by rokytnji »

sindi wrote:The suggested script says it is used in conjunction with a browser.
My goal is to stream Youtube without a browser on computers not fast enough to stream with a browser. There are free sites that convert Youtube to downloadable MP4 but I think they all need javascript (graphical) browsers to work. I don't want to download and then exit the browser to play because it takes as long to download as to play.

I could not get Wary to boot on my Thinkpad 560X 233MHz with 160MB RAM. Lilo won't work and it won't boot from the spinning CD in the base station. BIOS setup (hold F1 during boot) does not mention boot order. Too old to boot from USB CD-ROM drive.

The mplayer in Pulp03 (4.1.2-based) looks like it is playing but no sound (though aplay does work). xine played an mp3 file once but never again. Another binary of mplayer (compiled for P55C - i586) works on this 560x in an older linux (basiclinux) but not in Pulp (the required libc6-based libs are not recognized by ldd).

If there is some way to stream MP4 without using a graphical browser to download I will try to get some mplayer working in some version of puppy 4. Mplayer can also use vesa or fb instead of x11 on compatible hardware. (The 560X does not do framebuffer). They use less RAM than X.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6b6a90a57d

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 41d8601ab2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... asemonkey/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... /versions/

http://userscripts.org/

http://linternamagica.org/

youtube-dl ,cclive, are terminal based youtube downloaders for low spec gear. Linterna Magica can use mplayer for playing youtube videos.

Greasemonkey and user scripts I use on a daily basis covers a lot of bases. One must do their own research for what user script will fit the function that one wants to use on the web.

Screenshot below of my youtube greasemonkey buttons.

anyhows, I am just testing gtk-youtube-viewer. I can live without it. I was
the 3.0.9 post and figured peebee went through the trouble to build it.
So what the heck. I fit the specs to test it.

I did not make my links click-able because this forum likes to erase too many click-able links posts.
Attachments
roks.jpg
(20.59 KiB) Downloaded 999 times

sindi

Youtube on Thinkpad 600E with mplayer

#137 Post by sindi »

I installed some youtube downloader from a website in Firefox 3.6.28 (which won't install addons from the mozilla site). If I start a download then exit both the browser and the downloader to save cpu time, I can then play filename.mp4.temp from my default download directory but the file does not finish downloading so I will need to run the downloader while viewing (using more cpu power). I can quit the browser at least.

I have no sound until I exit the browser - plugin wrapper conflicts so I get error messages about no available /dev/dsp. Pluginwrapper also uses a lot of CPU power so I turned it off on a computer too slow for flash video.

Mplayer is using about 98% of the cpu for a 360p file, and 1024 screen resolution. The sound gets way ahead of the picture at 400MHz.

I think I need a faster computer to watch youtube with a downloader, or a lower resolution download (240p). I get messages that 'your computer is too slow'.

Maybe the sound would not get out of sync if I downloaded the whole file first. Experiments show that it takes 1 min to download 4 min of 360p at 2.4Mbps.

DVDs also get out of sync when played at 400MHz even with --hardframedrop.

A 312MB PocketPC with WM6 plays 320x240 (240p) Youtube okay.

Very little memory is used by mplayer. I have a uclibc version with support for -vo svga fbdev and vesa but this laptop is usable ONLY in X - if I exit X (Xorg) or switch to another terminal I get a blue and pink pattern, quite unreadable. X tends to use more resources.

The cd package is no longer at the Mediafire link.

I will check out the other suggested links.

I will try streaming downloading MP4 files on a 1GHz computer, to obtain the keyboard navigation and hopefully less stalling. This has been very educational.

A puppy 4.1.2 viewer would still be nice.

mikeb

#138 Post by mikeb »

Agreed 240p for mp4... otherwise the cpu overhead is still too high for that spec even with such as mplayer.
I do find working 2d acceleration will give better results than using the framebuffer so a good driver is a must...sounds like you have that anyway. Some framedropping is expected though that should help keep sound in sync.
Flash should be using alsa so if the wrapper is demanding /dev/dsp then better off without it.

There is an ffmpeg low res option I used to use on a K6 500 machine...its only good for DVD / mpeg2 but does make them watcheable by cutting demands by 50-75%. No good for mp4 unfortunately due to loss of needed keyframes.

There is some overhead when a browser is downloading a file too which does make a difference under marginal conditions.

Its a juggling act trying to do what you want on machines of that spec. Even if gtk-youtube-viewer worked on 4.12 you would still suffer from these limitations anyway.

mike

rokytnji

#139 Post by rokytnji »

Just a shot of the user scripts I use in conjuction with greasemonkey in case it helps.
Attachments
scripts.jpg
Script names I grabbed from userscripts.org
(63.33 KiB) Downloaded 941 times

keniv

#140 Post by keniv »

I think I was a bit premature in saying all was working well. I have found that sound gets way ahead of vision for any youtube video longer than a few minutes. I have tried using a lower resolution. This is on a 2GHz 1MB machine. Any suggestions on how I can keep the sound and video in sync.

Regards,

Ken.