*EASY* CUPS printer installation dotpup for Puppy 1.xx/2.xx

News, happenings
pakt

#21 Post by pakt »

Congrats, aussie!

Yes, please tell us how you got your Canon printer working. Will be useful info for others I'm sure :)

Paul

Auda

#22 Post by Auda »

have finally got my Canon Pixmaip1000 working via CUPS
Bugger now I have to start again. I have been building a replacement computer for a neighbour and have been tossing up wether to install windows 98se or Puppy the deciding thing was the canon pixmap 1000 printer, I went for windows. Now I will have to install Puppy no big deal except its an IPaq, no cdrom drive. I await you instructions for the printer.

Auda

can8v

#23 Post by can8v »

MU wrote:Paul, I have no printer, but from this forum and my german one I know, that "printing" usually is the weakest thing in a modern linux-desktop.

Very great if it works, we should suggest Barry to add a installation-button to the printing-wizard.
Thanks for this masterpiece :D

Mark
Mark,
How do you manage with no printer. Is it possible you simply don't need one? If so how do you swing that, because I would like to kill fewer trees as welll?

MU

#24 Post by MU »

Ok, this is simple.
Get a large bed.
Position a 19'' LCD-monitor in front of it.

Lay down in a cozy position.

Now you can read even long texts without problem :lol:

I do all postal things via Email if possible, and if I really need to print something (what happens once or twice a year), then I do it at work or visit a friend ;)

Mark

tony

Success with Brother Printer

#25 Post by tony »

Success with Brother HL-2070N printer.

Puppy version 2.02 Regression.

I HAVE MADE IT EASIER SEE :-

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11843

But this way still works.

Vital. Before you start, install csh. This is posted under bsd-csh, install it as csh.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ght=bsdcsh

Download and install:-
undeb.pup
Dotpup-Wizard-mu06.pup
cups-installer0.2v1.pup
From Brother solutions website, download the driver and cupswrapper packages.

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/ ... ivers.html

Put them into separate directories.
Use undeb and dotpup-wizard to turn the debian packages to dotpups.

Run the driver dotpup first, then the cupswrapper dotpup. Do not delete the dotpup files.

Rerun the dotpups using re-install to get a list of where the files are, usually /usr/local/"name of directory"/...................etc. Use the list, dont reinstall.

Copy these files into the cups directories, dropping off the usr/local/"name" bit. Remember driver files first, then cupswrapper files.

Next reboot the computer.

Use http://localhost:631/ to set up printer, pay attention to usb or parallel cable. Try printing a test page.

Regards to all.

Tony.
Last edited by tony on Sun 15 Oct 2006, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

printing from network

#26 Post by raffy »

This is a very useful addition to Puppy, and as it works well in versions 1 and 2, really commendable.

Now, this newbie question: what should the user do to using Puppy and CUPS (this package) to print to a Puppy workstation in the local network?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dasch

#27 Post by dasch »

Hey Paul,

Just want to say a big thank you for doing this. Got a hp photosmart 7150 working and printing on the first attempt.

pakt

#28 Post by pakt »

dasch wrote: Just want to say a big thank you for doing this. Got a hp photosmart 7150 working and printing on the first attempt.
Glad to hear it, dasch, and thanks for your feedback :)
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

pakt

Re: printing from network

#29 Post by pakt »

raffy wrote:Now, this newbie question: what should the user do to using Puppy and CUPS (this package) to print to a Puppy workstation in the local network?
Sorry about the late reply raffy - I just now saw your message.

To answer your question, it is very simple to set up a Puppy client to print to a Puppy server (or any other Puppy PC with an attached printer) in your local network.

Just install 'cups-install-v0.2r1.pup' on the client.

Choose 'network' for the type of printer.

When the CUPS web interface and the help window start up, just close the help window.

In the CUPS web interface, click on 'Printers' in the menu at the top of the page and you will see a list of printers available to you in your network. (Note that this will *not* work with printers on windows PCs. They need to be set up with Samba.)

To test, just click on 'Print test page' for that printer.

HTH
Paul

pakt

Re: Success with Brother Printer

#30 Post by pakt »

tony wrote:I HAVE MADE IT EASIER SEE :-

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11843
Tony, thanks for your instructions. I have a Brother HL-1030 winprinter that I have working with CUPS. It would be interesting to compare Brother's driver with the .ppd driver I use with CUPS. I will give it a try as soon as I have time.

ndujoe1

CUPS Software Pup

#31 Post by ndujoe1 »

per the announcement in Barry's newsblog, I decided to download the CUPs Software package.

I have a parallel HP672C printer.

I was able to access the CUPs interface in the web browser and followed the steps indicated.

But no printing results from either the browser or from Abiword as a test.

I have the Cups printer in the interface, but no action.

Any suggestions appreciated. I am using Puppy Linux 2.0

thanks.

pakt

#32 Post by pakt »

ndujoe1, what did you use for 'Device URI' in the CUPS web interface?

Also, if you look at the 'Printer State:' for your printer in the CUPS web interface, does it say 'idle, accepting jobs' ?

ndujoe1

CUBs help

#33 Post by ndujoe1 »

it states :

Printer State : idle acceptiing jobs
Device URL:parallel:/dev/lp0

After I selected Print TEst page the completed job listing said :

HP672C-1 Test page 15k aborted

When I clicked Resend JOb it reproted : client-error-not possible.

-------

How does one bring up the Cups web printer manager interface after it is loaded. Do you need to reinstall the software each time ?

Thanks.

pakt

#34 Post by pakt »

Strange... as far as I can see, your printer is set up right. It isn't something simple like a badly-connected cable or such is it ? Does it work with Windows or another OS (Knoppix live-CD, etc) ?

The URL to the CUPS web interface is: http://localhost:631/

ndujoe1

Cups Update

#35 Post by ndujoe1 »

I have used the PDQ system with it fine. I was just trying out the CUPS system that you put together to see if it did things better or more effeciently.

I have a Lexmark X83 which I though the Cups software would have a greater chance of supporting in the future.

Thanks.

ndujoe1

Cups update - 2

#36 Post by ndujoe1 »

on the PDQ side of the ledger is uses a ijs-pci-601 driver and also has the parallel port identified as /dev/lp0

pakt

Re: Cups Update

#37 Post by pakt »

ndujoe1 wrote:I have a Lexmark X83 which I though the Cups software would have a greater chance of supporting in the future.
ndujoe1, the new experimental CUPS-install dotpup I'm playing with now installs the new gutenprint tarball instead of the older gimp-print one. It has a lot more printer drivers including eight from Lexmark. Unfortunately, it does not have the X83 listed.

Germanpup

#38 Post by Germanpup »

thank you very much, now my puppy prints!
Here's my ppd-file for brother hl2040 if anyone cares. rename to brother.ppd, copy to /root and run CUPS as described.
Attachments
brother.jpg
(12 KiB) Downloaded 2177 times
www.weiss-lampertheim.de
built and maintained with Puppy!

Pizzasgood

#39 Post by Pizzasgood »

Renaming as .jpg appears to be a no no. It tries to display it, fails, and doesn't let anyone download. I'm assuming it doesn't let you use .ppd, so try .gz instead.

To change it, edit the post and go down to the attach field. It may let you do it there, but you'll probably have to re-upload it. There is a button that automatically replaces it called something like "update".

EDIT: It can be gotten from the above attachment. You must right-click it, choose "view image", and then you save the page. By choosing save-as you can download and rename it in one step.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

shankargopal

#40 Post by shankargopal »

How does one remove the CUPS dotpup after it's been installed? It doesn't seem to register with pupget.

I ask because I can't get it to work with a Windows network printer whose naming service doesn't seem to work properly (I couldn't even get xpdq to work with it properly, so now printing to file and then using smbclient to print directly, which works - for no apparent reason).

Tried CUPS, didn't work, don't really have time to try and fix it, so now would like to get rid of it, but not sure how to do so.