Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
can8v

#1161 Post by can8v »

@Geoffrey
Success! I finally figured out what was going on. Despite the md5sum checking out for the iso, something still went wrong. I checked the md5 of the sfs files on the hd against the copies that were on the CDR. they matched. I then used Xfburn to burn another CD and the md5sum of those files also matched, but when i used the new CDR to boot pfix_ram and tried installing the minidlna1.1static package you uploaded, it worked. I then replaced the sfs files on my hd with the files on the new cd and rebooted with my pup_save and it still worked. I have no idea how this could be possible, but very happy that everyting is working. Just to tempt fate I uninstalled and tested some of the older versions and they work as well. I am completely baffled by this, but very happy.

can8v

MakeMkv

#1162 Post by can8v »

For the last hour I have been trying to install MakeMkv. I seem to be getting nowhere fast with this. I have searched, but haven't found any post of anybody successfully installing MakeMkv in any version of Puppy. Has anybody been about to do this, in Carolina or another Puppy, that my be able to point me in the right directions. I have been trying to adapt some instructions for other distros, to no avail.

Geoffrey

Re: MakeMkv

#1163 Post by Geoffrey »

can8v wrote:For the last hour I have been trying to install MakeMkv. I seem to be getting nowhere fast with this. I have searched, but haven't found any post of anybody successfully installing MakeMkv in any version of Puppy. Has anybody been about to do this, in Carolina or another Puppy, that my be able to point me in the right directions. I have been trying to adapt some instructions for other distros, to no avail.
Handbrake from the repo creates mkv files if that's any good for you, I did a quick test, seems ok converting DVD and a Avi I tried.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

can8v

Re: MakeMkv

#1164 Post by can8v »

Geoffrey wrote:
can8v wrote:For the last hour I have been trying to install MakeMkv. I seem to be getting nowhere fast with this. I have searched, but haven't found any post of anybody successfully installing MakeMkv in any version of Puppy. Has anybody been about to do this, in Carolina or another Puppy, that my be able to point me in the right directions. I have been trying to adapt some instructions for other distros, to no avail.
Handbrake from the repo creates mkv files if that's any good for you, I did a quick test, seems ok converting DVD and a Avi I tried.
Actually it is not the MKV files I am insterested in. I encode my videos to M4V. I need MakeMkv, because I cannot get Handbrake to rip some of the more recent Disney/Pixar DVDs. Also the version of Handbrake in the repository doesn't have the option to manually enter the title you want to rip, it only lets you select a title from a subset of Handbrakes scan results. This is important due to Disney's 99 title scheme designed to confound anyone trying to rip there DVDs. This is easily overcome if you can manually enter the title you want to rip. Unless I am completely missing something there and maybe I am. At any rate in the past my solution was to boot into Windoze and use MakeMkv to handle these movies. Sometimes I can get Thoggen to rip it to OGV and then convert to M4V, but usually I can only make it happen in MakeMkv. Ironically, these are the movies that I have the biggest need to rip. My kids watch them hundreds of times, they are not as careful with the DVD as adults and I can't prove it, but I am convinced that Disney/Pixar DVDs lack any scratch resistant coating at all. I think they may actually put a coating on them to make them scratch more easily (I kid of course). Nevertheless, I have purchased multiple copies of more than one Disney Pixar DVD, because of physical damage to the disc, caused by careless kids. MakeMkv will save me a considerable sum by only having to purchase these DVDs one time.

can8v

#1165 Post by can8v »

I found this install script on the MakeMkv site and modified it to work in Puppy and it compiles, but I can't get it to start the application. libmakemkv.so.1 is apparently missing.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

cd /tmp/
wget "http://www.makemkv.com/download/"
export curr_version=$(grep -m 1 "MakeMKV v" index.html | sed -e "s/.*MakeMKV v//;s/ (.*//")

echo "Scraped the MakeMKV download page and found the latest version as" ${curr_version}

export bin_zip=makemkv-bin-${curr_version}.tar.gz
export oss_zip=makemkv-oss-${curr_version}.tar.gz
export oss_folder=makemkv-oss-${curr_version}
export bin_folder=makemkv-bin-${curr_version}

wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/$bin_zip
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/$oss_zip

tar -xzvf $bin_zip
tar -xzvf $oss_zip

cd $oss_folder
./configure
make
sudo new2dir make install

cd ../$bin_folder
make
sudo new2dir make install

cd ..

echo removing downloaded files
rm index.html
rm $bin_zip
rm $oss_zip
rm -rf $oss_folder
rm -rf $bin_folder

can8v

#1166 Post by can8v »

For those of you that commented that you would like to see XBMC 12.3 in Carolina or are using it in Wine, I would like to know why you think 12.3 is better than 11. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong in configuring my library, but in version 12.3 I don't have the ability categorize by Genre, Actors, Directors, Studio, etc. I have notice some minor improvements, but I really like having that ability to sort my library this way. Am I missing a step or something. I have tried 12.3 in Wine, Mac osX, and Android, with Mac osX being the worst, as I cannot even get any data from TMdb downloaded. So far the best experience overall has been with version 11 in Carolina. If I am missing something by not having 12.3 natively running in Carolina I can see working on that, but from what I can see it doesn't appear that I am missing anything. Am I missing something?

starhawk

#1167 Post by starhawk »

I know I've asked this before but I can't remember what the answer was or if I got one (apologies!).

Am I correct in my understanding that Carolina uses the Saluki Kernel, which is basically a slightly tweaked Puppeee/Fluppy Kernel, and therefore won't support Chrome/Chromium above Version 12? FWIW, I'm currently running Upup Raring 3992 and Chromium 31, and I'd really really really not feel right running an old(er) browser. Just silly, I guess.

Geoffrey

#1168 Post by Geoffrey »

starhawk wrote:I know I've asked this before but I can't remember what the answer was or if I got one (apologies!).
You have, it will only run the google chrome sfs in the repo.
Am I correct in my understanding that Carolina uses the Saluki Kernel
Yeah, kernel 3.2.13-ski, well Saluki had 3.2.8-ski but that isn't the reason it won't run newer versions of chrome, the glibc is old and Chrome is built using a newer library, but I've been looking at way's to get around that, as was done with Slimboat and Tor Browser, but don't get your hopes up, I'm not that smart :wink:
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

can8v

#1169 Post by can8v »

Geoffrey wrote:
starhawk wrote:I know I've asked this before but I can't remember what the answer was or if I got one (apologies!).
You have, it will only run the google chrome sfs in the repo.
Am I correct in my understanding that Carolina uses the Saluki Kernel
Yeah, kernel 3.2.13-ski, well Saluki had 3.2.8-ski but that isn't the reason it won't run newer versions of chrome, the glibc is old and Chrome is built using a newer library, but I've been looking at way's to get around that, as was done with Slimboat and Tor Browser, but don't get your hopes up, I'm not that smart :wink:
Geoffrey,
I decided to give your SlimBoat sfs a go and all I can say is wow! Thanks for puting that in the repository, this is a great browser. I don't even miss Chrome now.

starhawk

#1170 Post by starhawk »

Thanks, Geoff. Between that and PAE (not too useful on a netbook with only 2gb RAM max ;) ), I guess I'll be staying away from Carolina for now :(

Just out of curiosity -- does XFCE allow one to drag&drop / reorder the buttons on the bottom tray (what Windblows users call the "taskbar")...? That's what I'm actually looking for; the Chrome thing was a sort of important digression if you know what I mean.

rg66

#1171 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:Thanks, Geoff. Between that and PAE (not too useful on a netbook with only 2gb RAM max ;) ), I guess I'll be staying away from Carolina for now :(

Just out of curiosity -- does XFCE allow one to drag&drop / reorder the buttons on the bottom tray (what Windblows users call the "taskbar")...? That's what I'm actually looking for; the Chrome thing was a sort of important digression if you know what I mean.
Geoffrey was playing around with Chrome and the glibc hack, not sure how far he got though. There might be a possibility to run the latest Chrome but don't quote me on that.

Carolina-non-pae and Carolite both use 3.2.13 non-pae kernel

Xfce allows to re-order icons on the panel, just right click one and choose "move" and move your mouse cursor to a new place and left click.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

starhawk

#1172 Post by starhawk »

Thanks, rg66!

I'll watch this thread for updates re: the glibc upgrade.

Just curious, has the nonPAE Carolina 1.1 come out yet?

rg66

#1173 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:Just curious, has the nonPAE Carolina 1.1 come out yet?
Yes, it was released Nov. 23, a week after the pae version. It can be found here: http://smokey01.com/carolina/isos/non-pae/
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

starhawk

#1174 Post by starhawk »

:oops:

Pete22

crosswire and carolina

#1175 Post by Pete22 »

I am preparing a laptop for my friend. She has one program that needs to
be run with Crosswire. I added the pet python-2.6.4+wx. This allowed
crosswire to start. However, it will not install because it is running as root.
What can I do to fix this?

Pete

Geoffrey

Re: crosswire and carolina

#1176 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:I am preparing a laptop for my friend. She has one program that needs to
be run with Crosswire. I added the pet python-2.6.4+wx. This allowed
crosswire to start. However, it will not install because it is running as root.
What can I do to fix this?

Pete
What is Crosswire, do you have a link to it or the source code, it would be better to have it built to use python 2.7.

Pete22

Crosswire and carolina

#1177 Post by Pete22 »

Geoffery

Crosswire is a frontend for wine to run finicky windows programs on linux

Here is a link: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cro ... /download/

I don't know what versions of python it runs with. The error message said
python-gtk2 was not installed.

So I tried adding python pets until I found one that worked.
Pretty lame, I know, but I got close to making it work.

If there is a better pet or sfs that would make it work, please let me know.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Pete

Edit I found a pet for pythong 2.7.2 and python tk 2.7.2 and now crosswire works. Thanks for the idea.

Edit it does not let the windows program run. so I still have a problem.
Last edited by Pete22 on Sat 11 Jan 2014, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

can8v

Samba Really Slow! Other protocols http, ftp, etc. very fast

#1178 Post by can8v »

When I first got Samba working in Carolina I didn't notice how slow it was, as I tested some transfers with some very smal files. Even at 100/Kbs it doesn't take long to transfer a 100 KB file.
At any rate I am getting transfer speeds between 70 and 200/Kbs over Samba and 8-24/Mbs over FTP and HTTP. Even over the internet I get 12/Mbs down and 3/Mbs up.
I am using a Cisco E1000 WiFi router. Only the U-Verse Modem is connected by Ethernet. All other nodes are connected by WiFi. I say nodes rather than computers, because I am including tables, game consoles, TVs, Blu-Ray players, and phones, as well as computers.
The Game Consoles, Blu-Ray player and TV are all DLNA only, and they seem to be streaming a little slow (ie. sometimes choppy video or sound that does not occur when watching the video at the source), but I don't know how to test the speed of a DLNA connection.
The various operating systems involved are Carolina1.1, Saluki .023, Android 2.2, 4.1, and 4.4, Mac osX, Windoze 7, and Windoze XP. The Windoze computers are exceeding 10/Mbs when transferring files between themselves, but if the Mac, Linux or Android is on either end of the transfer I only get 70-200/Kbs. Again this is only using SMB, I get respectable speeds over FTP or HTTP.
On the Carolina machine I am using the standard Simple File Sharing setup that comes standard in 1.1.
I am looking for any ideas on how to narrow this down a bit.
***Edit***: I did some ping test and the average from the Carolina machine to any of the others and back is 3-6ms, but in the reverse direction it is between 58 and 147ms .
***Edit***: At the Carolina1.1 laptop that I am using for a server. I turned down wlan0 and connected the ethernet port to the router, then turned up eth0 and ran the network connection and now smb protocol will transfer consistently between 1.1 and 2.6 MB/s FTP and HTTP speeds are unaffected. This is even more confusing to me as this did not only correct the problem concerning smb transfer speeds between the Carolina smb server and other devices, but also corrected the smb transfer speeds between my Android devices and the Windows machines and the Android devices and the Saluki Laptop or Mac laptop. The thought crossed my mind that the WiFi adapter on the Carolina laptop was causing some RF interferrance, but wouldn't that effect all protocols (ie FTP and HTTP)? I cannot explain this, but I am happy to have a solution to the problem. This was not some stroke of genius on my part I had been planning all along to set this computer up on eth0 after I got everything set up and no longer needed it to be mobile. It was just dumb luck I guess.

starhawk

#1179 Post by starhawk »

n00b question. Is SFS-Load the only way to load SFS's in Carolina? I can't seem to find the option to load an SFS at boot like on most Pups :oops:

EDIT: using CaroLite 1.1, not "regular" Carolina...

Geoffrey

#1180 Post by Geoffrey »

starhawk wrote:n00b question. Is SFS-Load the only way to load SFS's in Carolina? I can't seem to find the option to load an SFS at boot like on most Pups :oops:

EDIT: using CaroLite 1.1, not "regular" Carolina...
Pretty much, or you can double click the sfs in any location and load it that way, it will give the option to copy it to /mnt/home, it then will be loaded from then on until its unloaded.