Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 22:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
My report on Quirky 6.0
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 47 [699 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
Billtoo

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 18:23    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
, and the looks, (I'm quite persnickety about how my OSes look -- sorry, comes with being an artist, I think.)

Fotowall allows you to make your own backgrounds,I made a pet of it in Quirky, should be available in ppm soon.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   74.01 KB
 Viewed   801 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Moat

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:00    Post subject: Re: devx compile failures sylpheed, vim  

broomdodger wrote:
tried to compile sylpheed and vim, both failed Quirky 6.1.1
! both sylpheed and vim compile Puppy 5.7.1

has anyone successfully compiled sylpheed?

Sylpheed 3.0.3 is available in the QPM - installed and working fine here!

Bob
timothyli

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:22    Post subject:  

I upgraded to 6.1.1 and the wallpaper setter seemed to be broken for me. I no longer can simply drop an image file in the /usr/share/backgrounds folder and set it as my wallpaper with the options of stretched, centred or tiled. When I tried to select an image, Quirky throws out an error message:

"Error loading backdrop image:
Failed to open file '/usr/share/backgrounds/160/snow-leopard-server-wallpaper.jpg': No such file or directory
Backdrop removed."

I tried copying of the image file to the 160 folder and it worked. Am I doing something wrong? I don't think the same image needs to exist in two places.
Moat

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:26    Post subject:  

Used the Quirky Upgrade Manager to download/install the 6.1 > 6.1.1 pet. All went well, but the Manager's highlighted .pet choice was indeed the wrong version, as someone mentioned earlier.

Maybe my imagination, but idling CPU use appears to have lessened a bit... now fluctuating @ 0-3%, which is pretty outstanding for a Puppy, in my experience.

The font size change/desktop background disappear bug remains in 6.1.1.

Tman's lxtask-0.1.4-lucid.pet installed and runs fine (thanks, Tman!) - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80138&sid=85249201f83771d8cf053ddd468eedd3

Bob
Moat

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:33    Post subject:  

timothyli wrote:

Failed to open file '/usr/share/backgrounds/160/snow-leopard-server-wallpaper.jpg': No such file or directory
Backdrop removed."

I saw the same thing after installing the Qwallpaper pet in 6.1 (except folder was numbered 125). I *thought* I did things right... Question
timothyli

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:51    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
timothyli wrote:

Backdrop removed."

I saw the same thing after installing the Qwallpaper pet in 6.1 (except folder was numbered 125). I *thought* I did things right... Question

I tried to rollback to 6.1 by uninstalling the 6.1.1 pet but it seems that the old pwallpaper script is no longer there.
broomdodger

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 01:22    Post subject: Re: devx compile failures sylpheed, vim  

Moat wrote:
broomdodger wrote:
tried to compile sylpheed and vim, both failed Quirky 6.1.1
! both sylpheed and vim compile Puppy 5.7.1

has anyone successfully compiled sylpheed?
Sylpheed 3.0.3 is available in the QPM - installed and working fine here!
Thank you Bob.
I needed to enable t2-quirky6 in QPM to find sylpheed.
At least I now have sylpheed.
I would prefer to be able to compile it.

Bill
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 04:26    Post subject: OK Progress Update... w/ Wireless Not working :(
Subject description: I've just Updated to the Latest Service Pack

I've issued rfkill unblock wlan, then rmmod iwl3945 pci ( or Sumthing ), then rfkill unblock all, finally modprobe iwl3945... Sorry I wasn't paying attn eXactly when the Blue Wireless LED came On, But it Did like Magic, So Me Next Question is which File to Edit or where 2 Add a Script? Correct Syntax etc, Anybody Please Help

if Not Rerwin or Tempestuous ?

Thanx

SmileK
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 08:06    Post subject: Re: quirky 6.1.1 wow  

broomdodger wrote:
Quirky 6.1.1
acer aspire 4315
4GB Transcend usb2 amazingly fast
from start screen 25 seconds

I like the wider border on windows as it makes resizing MUCH easier.

InkscapeLite's ruler does NOT fill up with a blurr triangles as it has in all Puppies I have tried.

I moved the stick to from the acer aspire 4315 to an acer travelmate 4670 worked great.

Then tried the asus 701, and except for the small screen it also worked great.

Bill

Yes, I like that wide border too!

The rendering improvement with Inkscapelite is due to using GTK 2.20.1, an older version.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 08:20    Post subject:  

Q6.1.2 will be out soon. Some of the fixes:

The system snapshot mechanism is somewhat broken. I found that, under certain circumstances, it can trash the installation. The reason is that disappearing 'misc' folder, which causes 'rxvt' not to work, and rxvt is used when taking a snapshot -- result, a badly broken snapshot, and a disaster when recovery is attempted.
Fixed, but will have to delete all snapshots -- I might put that into the Service Pack.

the 'devx' PET is now also a Service Pack. The PET is named like this:
devx_service_pack-6.1.1_TO_6.1.2-quirky6.pet
The Upgrade Manager will also automatically look for a devx Service Pack, if a base devx PET is installed.

The full gettext package, as compiled in T2, will be in 6.1.2. This is what L18L wanted, means MoManager will run without having to install the devx.

That file /fsckme.flg has been renamed to /.fsckme.flg, so it will be invisible.

Another attempt to make that SeaMonkey popup msg go away, a problem that Billtoo and one other person reported.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 08:29    Post subject:  

timothyli wrote:
I upgraded to 6.1.1 and the wallpaper setter seemed to be broken for me. I no longer can simply drop an image file in the /usr/share/backgrounds folder and set it as my wallpaper with the options of stretched, centred or tiled. When I tried to select an image, Quirky throws out an error message:

Backdrop removed."

I tried copying of the image file to the 160 folder and it worked. Am I doing something wrong? I don't think the same image needs to exist in two places.

Your explanation is not clear to me. Qwallpaper does not have the options of stretched, centred or tiled.

You need to use Qwallpaper.

timothyli

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 09:23    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
timothyli wrote:

Backdrop removed."

Your explanation is not clear to me. Qwallpaper does not have the options of stretched, centred or tiled.

You need to use Qwallpaper.

Sorry, I did not explain clearly. Let me try again. I was trying to add a custom wallpaper "snow-leopard-server-wallpaper.jpg" by dropping the file in /usr/share/backgrounds folder. It showed up in the list of images for selection under Qwallpaper. But when I selected it, I got the error. Also, my custom image is very large (2560x1600), and I wanted to centre it on my 1650x1050 screen without changing the image scale or aspect ratio. Qwallpaper does not allow me to do that.

I have been following the above process to change wallpaper for all my puppies without problems prior to Qwallpaper. Maybe I have been doing it the wrong way all along.

I also noticed that the Desktop Background button (under JWM Configuration Manager - Desktop tab) no longer works in 6.1.1.
broomdodger

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 13:25    Post subject: find dead links  

BarryK
This will help find dead links:
Code:
find -L /lib /usr -type l -exec ls -latr {} +
Bill
zekebaby

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 13:41    Post subject:  

timothyli wrote:

Backdrop removed."

There seems to be a small bug in /usr/sbin/background_reshape. In line 67 of /usr/sbin/background_reshape, change "$NEWVERT -lt $IMAGEVERT[" to "$NEWVERT -le $IMAGEVERT" (without the quotes) and the problem should go away.

Edit: removed line number note (confirmed by broomdodger)

Last edited by zekebaby on Mon 06 Jan 2014, 15:10; edited 3 times in total
broomdodger

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 13:52    Post subject:  

zekebaby wrote:
timothyli wrote:
I upgraded to 6.1.1 and the wallpaper setter seemed to be broken
There seems to be a small bug in /usr/sbin/background_reshape. In line 67 of /usr/sbin/background_reshape, change "$NEWVERT -lt $IMAGEVERT[" to "$NEWVERT -le $IMAGEVERT" (without the quotes) and the problem should go away.

Note: I am using the tarball version of background_reshape, so it might not be exactly line 67 in the 6.1.1 version, but it should be close.
Thank you, that fixed it for me.
I am using the qwallpaper that came with Quirky 6.1.1, and it is the same line number.

Bill
Page 17 of 47 [699 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: