LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#121 Post by peebee »

@Marv - thanks - sorry I've only just seen your edits - there have been changes to .xinitrc which I haven't tracked...doh! Attached there is a replacement .xinitrc with dummy .gz rename to .xinitrc before copying into /root - I have reuploaded the 14.01 pre-release with this change. Please report if it solves your problem.

A further prerelease version has been uploaded:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... reRelease/

see: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 759#746759 for changed areas
Attachments
xinitrc.gz
rename to .xinitrc and copy into /root
(6.69 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#122 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:@Marv - thanks - sorry I've only just seen your edits - there have been changes to .xinitrc which I haven't tracked...doh! Attached there is a replacement .xinitrc with dummy .gz rename to .xinitrc before copying into /root - I have reuploaded the 14.01 pre-release with this change. Please report if it solves your problem.
Thanks, I have the download. At first blush, it doesn't seem to fix. Stripped my intel directory out of /lib/firmware, substituted the new .xinitrc, reboot and get the same dmesg re not finding firmware. Pretty rushed this AM, will take a better look at it this afternoon.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#123 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:
peebee wrote:@Marv - thanks - sorry I've only just seen your edits - there have been changes to .xinitrc which I haven't tracked...doh! Attached there is a replacement .xinitrc with dummy .gz rename to .xinitrc before copying into /root - I have reuploaded the 14.01 pre-release with this change. Please report if it solves your problem.
Thanks, I have the download. At first blush, it doesn't seem to fix. Stripped my intel directory out of /lib/firmware, substituted the new .xinitrc, reboot and get the same dmesg re not finding firmware. Pretty rushed this AM, will take a better look at it this afternoon.
Hi Marv

I did some tests with my b43 wifi - had to first blacklist the wl driver which is chosen first for my b43 variant but once I'd done that and rebooted the firmware mechanism had worked correctly and the firmware was copied to /lib/firmware/b43 and the b43 driver was working correctly.

The only difference I note between b43 and iwlwifi is the presence of /etc/modprobe.d/b43.conf in /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43 which has a delay in it (part of managing the wl/b43 race to claim the chip).

So I think the basic firmware mechanism is working correctly but there may be some timing differences between basic Slacko and LxPup on your processor with your wifi chip which are stopping it working? If it persists we may need to seek assistance from an expert like Rerwin or Technosaurus to suggest a solution....

or you can do a manual copy of the firmware from /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware to /lib/firmware/iwlwifi

Cheers
PeeBee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#124 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
So I think the basic firmware mechanism is working correctly but there may be some timing differences between basic Slacko and LxPup on your processor with your wifi chip which are stopping it working? If it persists we may need to seek assistance from an expert like Rerwin or Technosaurus to suggest a solution....

or you can do a manual copy of the firmware from /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware to /lib/firmware/iwlwifi

Cheers
PeeBee
Thanks, the manual copy scheme has been working for me. All the intel firmware in a directory named intel in /lib/firmware. I'll continue to nibble on this bit as I have time. Everything else in 14.01 is working fine for me at this point.

Edit: SOLVED :D I looked in dmesg for wl and saw an error message for it 'tainting the kernel'. NOTHING broadcom on this box. Blacklisted wl and the correct iwlwifi firmware is found and loaded from all-firmware and wireless is fine. I'll check the ip2200 laptop next but so far so good.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

wl and intel wireless

#125 Post by Marv »

Confirmed. Exact same behavior on intel ipw2200 wireless. Blacklist wl, reboot, ipw2200 wireless active, networks seen and connection (using frisbee) without a hitch. Let me know exactly what you would like in terms of diagnostics and I can run them on either machine.

01micko

#126 Post by 01micko »

@Marv and peebee

Marv's issue might be one that rerwin can sort out. I wonder if it's got something to do with the fact that 'iwlwifi' (in terms of the string of characters) contains 'wl' ??

I will be releasing slacko with wl module so it will exhibit that bug Marv if we don't get it sorted.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#127 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:@Marv and peebee

Marv's issue might be one that rerwin can sort out. I wonder if it's got something to do with the fact that 'iwlwifi' (in terms of the string of characters) contains 'wl' ??

I will be releasing slacko with wl module so it will exhibit that bug Marv if we don't get it sorted.

Cheers
@Mick & @Marv

We need the output from pdiag to put before Rerwin.

The wl driver in LxPup14.01pre-release is the new 6.30.223.141 version - I will send Marv a pet for the previous 5.100.82.112 version to see if that makes a difference.

If the previous is OK that maybe the one to issue in Slacko5.7?

Cheers
PeeBee

01micko

#128 Post by 01micko »

I'll eagerly await the outcome :wink:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#129 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:I'll eagerly await the outcome :wink:
Marv's testing has confirmed that the problem he is seeing is caused by the new 6.30 Broadcom wl driver in LxPup14.01pre-release.

If he reverts to the old 5.100 driver the problem goes away.

I have asked for rerwin's help to analyse the diagnostic information provided by Marv.

peebee

LxPup-14.01-s-4g-180114.iso

#130 Post by peebee »

LxPup-14.01-s-4g-180114.iso and delta available from:

Based on Slacko5.6.5.2 non-pae 4g k3.10.21

Includes fix by rerwin (many thanks) to solve Marv's problem with the new 6.30.223.141 wl driver interfering with iwlwifi / iwp2000
Last edited by peebee on Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Re: LxPup-14.01-s-4g-050114.iso

#131 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:LxPup-14.01-s-4g-050114.iso and delta available from:

Based on Slacko5.6.5.2 non-pae 4g k3.10.21

Includes fix by rerwin (many thanks) to solve Marv's problem with the new 6.30.223.141 wl driver interfering with iwlwifi / iwp2000
Looks good from here. Just to double check, downloaded the iso above, pristine frugal boot on my iwlwifi laptop, iwlwifi firmware loaded, wlan0 associated, connected correctly. Then added in my customizations so I'm up and running. Noted that the package manager is now double click internally.

sszindian

#132 Post by sszindian »

LxPup-13.11

First tried a fresh boot into RAM. All went nice, tried a few of the apps... nice to see the apps I tried are the latest updates!

After running for about an hour using a Frisbee setup for WiFi I shutdown without making a savefile.

Booted up again... WiFi config'd itself... some more testing on the Internet at various places, youtube, some short video clips etc., all seemed fine. Shut down again not creating a savefile.

Booted up again only this time I went for the option to UPGRADE LxPup-13.10.1 Upgrade went fine with no issues... WiFi auto connected. Shutdown again and rebooted.

Everything went well and WiFi auto connected again but... after about 20-minutes on the Internet, WiFi 'DROPPED'. Plugged in the modem cable and eth0 auto connected and took over quickly. But... after about 10-minutes on the Internet etho 'DROPPED'. After trying many various configs, eth0 and wlan0 could NOT be started by anything available in LxPup, its like your whole Ethernet system went dead.

This is happening in the latest NEW puppys of, Slacko, SuperLupu, and various Precise's builds. The 'ONLY' puppy (tested several weeks so far) that HOLDS WiFi is 'the latest 'WHEEZY' build... it has never dropped on me!

My take is that most of the newer puppy builds must be using the SAME Frisbee module (with slight variations) but... I do believe there is a major problem with Frisbee not holding up or reconfiguring itself after a drop. I've used other Linux distro's where WiFi would drop but it would clear itself and auto restart again without and user intervention, I doubt they were using Frisbee.

Frisbee has come a long long ways recently with easy setup but I believe it has some more 'fixing' in order or, maybe there is a better WiFi setup available for puppy???

Anyway... you have a 'quality' pup build here peebee... keep at it!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

peebee

Re: 13.11

#133 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:LxPup-13.11
>>>---Indian------>
Hi sszindian

Thanks for the feedback - LxPup-13.11 is a derivative of Slacko5.6 so all findings should also apply to Slacko5.6 (especially your compliment about the latest applications).

I use Frisbee all the time on both my laptop and desktop and never have the problems you describe (but I don't have ethernet connections, only wifi on both) - what I would suggest is that when your problem manifests itself you should run pdiag in a terminal and then send the file produced by pm to rerwin - Richard has done all the recent work on Frisbee and is a whiz at analyzing the pdiag output. Your problems may be unique to the particular combination of chips in your pc.....

It's worth pursuing your Frisbee problem if you are able - best to post any further results/queries on the Frisbee thread.

There is a Wheezy 'flavour' of LxPup - you may want to try that.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#134 Post by cthisbear »

Wireless Connection and Frisbee problems.

Possible issues and fixes.

""""""""""""'

Wireless speakers.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=2204074

" Does any one know of "wireless speakers" that work with linux. "

" Make sure they don't interfere with wifi in your house.
I had a tough time trying to find a friends wifi issue.
It was wireless speakers. "

::::::::::::::

CHANGE Your Wireless Channel number if wireless fails.

I can confirm that this does work.

I had to change from Netgear default >> Channel 11

to >> Channel9. ...reasons set out below.

:::::::::::

Windows 7 and different Puppies failed to connect last month
on my Dell laptop.

This certainly never happened with this Puppy version before,
which >> had no save file.

I believe that some neighbour recently fired up a new router
or some other device which was interfering with my router signal.

Anyway >> I changed the Channel number >> Problem solved.

Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signal

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21132/ch ... ss-signal/

:::::::::

Also...I have done this for lost wireless settings...

Unplug AC power >> remove the battery >>

hold down Power button for at least 30 secs.

Re-assemble and reboot.

You would be amazed at how often this works.

""""""""

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=435

Frisbee >> Change the >> Ap_scan Parameter

Not often this occurs but with Frisbee >> delete your profiles

Restart

>> Connect

Frisbee starts...

Select >> Wireless Diagnostics

Select Ap_scan

Change the >> Ap_scan Parameter

from 1 to >> 2
for a better connection to a hidden network

Exit Frisbee

Hit Connect >> Frisbee starts...>> Wireless Network refresh

A few moments later...networks reappear

Fill in your details...and Frisbee connects.

Chris.

slenkar

#135 Post by slenkar »

I see 'preferred applications' but where is default applications like
default web browser

peebee

#136 Post by peebee »

slenkar wrote:I see 'preferred applications' but where is default applications like
default web browser
Setup -> Default Applications Chooser

???

peebee

#137 Post by peebee »

250114 pre-release version of LxPup14.01 available from:

user functionality and look and feel unchanged - some "under the hood" changes to components - e.g. LxPanelX updated from r606 to r694.

Delta from 180114 version also available.
Last edited by peebee on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 07:21, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

180114 pre-release

#138 Post by Marv »

Downloaded and applied delta. Standard frugal install to iwlwifi laptop with intel i915 video. Pristine boot: No problems at all, iwlwifi wireless recognized and connection routine with wpa2 encryption. Sound, touchpad and video all good. The only patch I applied was to get correct lid suspend on this laptop from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=73733.
Also booted using my savefile from the 050114 pre-release (mostly look and feel, my panel, icons, themes and links to my external browsers etc.). No issues at all that I see at there so far. None found in fairly routine use of the 050114 pre-lease for the past 2 weeks.

All in all, solid and quite snappy.

peebee

Re: 180114 pre-release

#139 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:Downloaded and applied delta. Standard frugal install to iwlwifi laptop with intel i915 video. Pristine boot: No problems at all, iwlwifi wireless recognized and connection routine with wpa2 encryption. Sound, touchpad and video all good. The only patch I applied was to get correct lid suspend on this laptop from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=73733.
Also booted using my savefile from the 050114 pre-release (mostly look and feel, my panel, icons, themes and links to my external browsers etc.). No issues at all that I see at there so far. None found in fairly routine use of the 050114 pre-lease for the past 2 weeks.

All in all, solid and quite snappy.

Thanks Marv

Which thread does that pet come from?

Is it worth including the pet in the /opt/lxpup-xtras folder do you think?

Is there any detriment to including it in the build? or should it remain an option?

Any idea why it has never made it into woof / mainline puppies?

Cheers
peebee

Sage

#140 Post by Sage »

No problems even on usual suspects. Just seems rather sluggish for a compact distro, especially compared to other Puppies. Would be nice if the v10 FP from the repo were pre-installed?