Do you ever install both the 32bit AND 64bit...

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else

Choose your answer

All the time
11%
Yes, but I only use the 32bit version for Wine
No votes
Yes, but installing the 64bit version was just for wasting space
No votes
Sometimes, but usually I am running an official puppy which is only 32bit
11%
Sometimes, it depends on if there is an advantage in my case
11%
No, I have 4GB or less of RAM on my 64bit box
No votes
No, I just have a 32bit computer
33%
Not on the same computer
22%
Never
11%
This is some consiracy and I don't want in on it!
No votes

Total votes: 9

bark_bark_bark

Do you ever install both the 32bit AND 64bit...

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I want to see if anyone does this.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I don't install them but I do use them, by booting them from multisession DVDs. Didn't think of that, did you? :lol:

darrelljon

#3 Post by darrelljon »

What would be the point?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

For me the point was to try out the new Puppy without making a commitment, maybe try some program that only came with that particular Puppy. Whether it was 64- or 32-bit didn't make any difference to me.

EdD

#5 Post by EdD »

Yep. both....on the same hard drive, but at different times. The 32 bit version of Mint Petra sucked, so I dumped it and installed the 64 bit version. That gave me a better idea of how Mint performs. I dumped it and cleaned my spare drive the same day. ;-)

Puppy for me. Maybe I'll try Fat Dog on this new machine.

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Happy new Year @bark_bark_bark.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you ask this to glean reasons why community members have done this in the past.

This does NOT usually occur in Puppyland because PUPs are usually aimed at one platform or the other. When Puppy was first started by @BarryK, 64bit PCs did not exist.

PC hardware architecture started with 8bit then moved quickly to 16bit. From there it remained until 32bit architectures came along. There it remained until 64bit, now ubiquitous, arrive. All along the way, people have argued the benefit.

Today of the primary CPU architectures, including for ARMs now showing up in platforms, 64bit has become the standard in business/consumer marketplace.

My reasons for having used 32bit AND 64bit on same PC(s)
In my years, my answer is yes, as I have been with various teams where analysis has been provided to validate what vendors were saying about their products...32bit vs 64bit.

Also, over the years Tom's Hardware website has provided some of the most extensive reporting on their findings of benefit.

In assisting anyone/everyone, I have merely tried to match their needs against their hardware. PC speeds have become so blindingly fast and RAM so easy to add, that today, for me, I select based upon the application the PC will be used for, and not concern whether its 32bit/64bit. If the distro/vendor offers, I will use the one which matches the hardware it will be used on.

Hope this helps what I think you're after.
P.S. Is this question a part of a class you're enrolled?

bark_bark_bark

#7 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Simply quoting your question,
gcmartin wrote:Is this question a part of a class you're enrolled?
No, the question just came to me for some reason.

ardvark

#8 Post by ardvark »

No, the computers I install Puppy on have always been 32 bit. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

wboz

#9 Post by wboz »

my computers are modern enough to run 64 bit, but to be honest with something like Puppy I don't bother. the 32 bit version are likely to be better tested and I don't value the minimal speed increase. this is because i use mine only for a very small set of stuff (primarily web based work). also because, i have 4gb of ram so the primary benefit of 64 bit is not relevant.

I like Puppy a lot but I do not consider it a "full" distro in the sense that you might install Ubuntu and boot to it every time. Part of this is due to my having laptops - I don't want the stick coming out the side and maybe damaging my last remaining USB port; plus the computer came with an OS.

If I were installing a Linux distro as the primary OS - I've been toying with the idea of buying a small barebones box - then yes, I would go for the 64 bit. I'd see no advantage to installing both. :)

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

heard that JamesBond got 64 and 32 bit to work side by side in a sandbox type of install. 64 bit programs use its filesystem and 32bit system uses its filesystem. Not only are the installed together they even run at the same time.. :D