My report on Quirky 6.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
slenkar

#201 Post by slenkar »

has anyone gotten a chrome based browser working with this?
I need it for the fast javascript engine

I also need libqt

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: My report on Quirky 6.1

#202 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:New install on 8GiB USB stick method D

This time I have taken a snapshot before trying to solve the gettext problem.

Simple solution: Installation of gettext-0.18.3.1.tar.bz2 from http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... 2/quirky6/

Translated snapshot-manager using Forked Fast MoManager

Doing a translation is very good for understanding new software....
Ah, yes, I had recompiled the 'gettext' utility statically with dietlibc, as it has to be used from ramdisk at bootup, and there is a situation where libc.so* might not work.

Anyway, was unable to compile it, until I did "--disable-nls", which, it turns out, was not a very bright idea.

I have now compiled it statically with uclibc, in aboriginal linux. It now has nls support, so should be ok.

Yes, I will put your latest momanager pet into quirky 6.1.1.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: removing packages

#203 Post by BarryK »

mavrothal wrote:The new installpkg.sh is generating the /audit/${DLPKG_MAIN}DEPOSED.sfs. However, the removepreview.sh is looking for the /audit/${DB_pkgname}DEPOSED.sfs.
These two may or may not be the same particularly if the original package has additional parameters after the version (i486 etc).
The discrepancy is more apparent in slackware packages.
It is probably safer to look for the full-package-name-DEPOSED instead.
Thanks for pointing out the potential problem. I have fixed it.

The fix is in installpkg.sh, which also needed more fixes in the file-copying-correction code.

Also, the snapshot-manager needed fixes for its file-copying-correction code.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#204 Post by BarryK »

[quote="Jasper"]My successful restores seemed to restore to the state immediately before the backup and it seemed that the backup image was lost as the backup gui reported “no backup taken

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Missing 'misc' folder - OK in ext2 partition & 4gb usb stick

#205 Post by BarryK »

ozsouth wrote:
(BK) .... fixed in 6.0.1. Now the bug has come back!

I investigated, and was astonished that an entire directory is missing, /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc

...'fonts' has somehow turned into a symlink, with nothing in it.
Q61 install to ext2 partition has the complete 'misc' folder.
Ditto an install to 4gb usb stick with f2fs. Could it be the 8gb image?
Yeah, I found the cause. I was blaming 'cp', but it wasn't that. Billtoo and I had done one thing in common, installed the 'devx' PET -- that is what destroyed the 'misc' directory.

Which set me off on the path, how a package can do that, and I have put a fix into /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: iso file option

#206 Post by BarryK »

adi wrote:at the end of the installation process there is an option to save the iso file for future use. where is the file located? if it doesn't exists how can i make another one after install.
You ran 'install-quirky-to-drive.sh'?

In a ROX-Filer window, you press the ` (backtick) key, or right-click and choose "Window -> Terminal here".
Then you execute the script:

# sh ./install-quirky-to-drive.sh

After the drive has been written-to, the script will ask if you want to create an image-file of the drive, and if you accept, then it will create the image in the same folder as the script.

It will be named 'quirky-6.1-<SIZE>gb.img.xz', where SIZE will be whatever your drive is, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc.

It is not an "iso" file, it is a Flash drive image file (compressed).

Max Headroom

Wireless Not working on HP Compaq NC6400 Laptop

#207 Post by Max Headroom »

Booting from USB Flash Dr ( installed using Method D img after attempting in vain Method A ) as it's Loading the the Blue Wireless LED is On 'til Loading Ke*nel Modules Appear then the Wireless LED goes Off

I've Tried Manually Loading iwl3945 & the Windows NDISwRapper ( This is an intel ( R ) Pro / Wireless 3945ABG Chip ), But No go

The Puppy Network Wizard Windows says Error!

Failed to raise interface wlan0
Failed Command was: ifconfig wlan0 up
Error Returned was:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: UnkNown Error 132

Then When I Shutdown or Restart Quirky the Blue Wireless LED comes back on !?!

Of Course I've Already Searched the Forum for the answer, But Surprisingly I think I'm Unique 2 this Bug!

Otherwise the Speed is impressive

Thanx Barry K

:)K

L18L

Re: momanager

#208 Post by L18L »

BarryK wrote:Yes, I will put your latest momanager pet into quirky 6.1.1.
Glad to read that.
Thus the momanger will no more be a forked one.

Let me change the title and some other minor things before you put it into quirky.

Quirky is not Puppy (welcome1stboot, .....). I could also change momanager to create langpackQuirky_ as addition to puppy langpack (same already done for Fatdog).

Another issue: translators do not like to load devx.
Just gettext package is enough. I could change these texts too.

EDIT
...done
Attachments
momanager.gz
download to /usr/sbin and
gunzip momanager.gz
(29.03 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
momanager_without_fork.png
(36.36 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
Last edited by L18L on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 11:42, edited 3 times in total.

Max Headroom

Ps Message from /var/log

#209 Post by Max Headroom »

Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.810945] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.845496] iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux, in-tree:s
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.845500] iwl3945: Copyright(c) 2003-2011 Intel Corporation
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.warn kernel: [ 14.845553] iwl3945 0000:10:00.0: can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.846780] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.867843] tg3.c:v3.133 (Jul 29, 2013)
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.878240] sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.878243] sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.914399] iwl3945 0000:10:00.0: Tunable channels: 13 802.11bg, 4 802.11a channels
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.info kernel: [ 14.914405] iwl3945 0000:10:00.0: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 3945ABG
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.debug kernel: [ 14.914907] iwl3945 0000:10:00.0: irq 45 for MSI/MSI-X
Jan 4 09:49:13 puppypc19635 kern.debug kernel: [ 14.926956] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-3945-rs'

Billtoo

My report on Quirky 6.0

#210 Post by Billtoo »

I compiled openbox 3.5.0 and lxpanel 0.6.1 + all the dependencies that
go with them.
I did it in Quirky 6.0.1 and it works in Quirky 6.1 as well.

Operating System Quirky - 6.1
Desktop Environment Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)

It's working okay so far.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-04_101836.jpg
(69.08 KiB) Downloaded 811 times
openboxscreen.jpg
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

Re: My report on Quirky 6.0

#211 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Quoting myself
bark_bark_bark wrote:I installed to ext2 partition on netbook SSD from USB drive with additional packages (on the usb drive) to set up GRUB.

After install I added GRUB bootloader to Win7's BOOTMGR. After boot I installed Accelerated video drivers for Intel.

Tested and works:
-Xorgwizard
-Quirky Package Manager
-Seamonkey (copied profile from Windoze)
-Network Wizard (Wireless was tested only)
-Pup Advert Blocker

Tested but does not work:
-GetFlash (can not connect to server)

Suggestons:
-Ability to easily update package list (puppy was able to, but not quirky)
-SFS installer
-GRUB Legacy and GRUB4DOS installers

Otherwise, this was a 4/5 star experience.

Jasper

#212 Post by Jasper »

I have, what for me, are tidings of great joy; which may perhaps be of wider interest.

Having spent many hours installing pets and tweaking v 6.1 f2fs on an 8gb flash stick, I wanted an exact replica on a free 16gb stick mainly so that I could format the remaining space as a primary ext4 partition to use with Precise 5.6, but also as an extra fail-safe backup.

So I first copied and pasted the /audit folder (which held and still holds my most recent single backup) to my hard drive which transpired to be a very quick process.

Then I followed the advice from don570 re a plop adaptation of BarryK's method http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90683 to make a pristine v 6.0 having inserted my 16gb flash stick when instructed by the code. That took some 15 minutes in total.

Then I unplugged the unmounted 16gb stick and rebooted my still running 8gb stick and then unplugged that after a few seconds when its drive light went off.

Then I reinserted the 16gb drive and rebooted via plop (plop is irrelevant, except where an ancient computer cannot boot directly to a flash stick). Then, after a successful boot. I did not bother to make any settings (not even changing the screen resolution) I just used Barry’s Method C by clicking on the 23/24mb pet ... (already downloaded to my hard drive and previously used when I had upgraded my 8gb stick from 6.0 to 6.1(and whereas the pet name suggests it can only upgrade from v 6.01 to 6.1 - Barry had already explained it would also upgrade from 6.0)).

Then I left clicked on the file icon at the top left corner of my desktop and then clicked the green-up-arrow at the top left of the new window and then copied and carefully pasted the ‘audit’ folder into a blank area of the window (so that is was not placed inside any other folder). There two points of possible note: (1) as there had been no backup to this drive there was no subsisting ‘audit’ folder to overwrite or replace and (2) if, not having adjusted the screen resolution. the top left corner of the desktop had been hidden. then right-clicking on any blank area of the desktop and using Filesystem then ROX... from the Menu would show the green-up arrow.
The final step (except. in my particular case, for making a third ext4 partition) was to click the RESTORE button in‘Snapshot Manager save/restore partition’ found in the Main Menu under Filesystems'(or Multimedia) and then reboot following the clear and simple on-screen instructions.
Then, hey presto, magically Bob became my uncle and Fanny became my aunt.

My regards

Barry has designed Quirky to come in different sizes, with alternative extensions and ways to originate and/or upgrade - yet it seems to me copying the ‘audit’ folder (after a/any backup) to another drive adds braces to Barry’s strong belt (which even caters for power cuts) and if an appropriate spare drive or partition is available (even to a different computer using the new 6.1.1),

The above ‘cloning’ took a total of some 30 minutes - the trial idea was -simple and so was its execution - only fullish detail may make it seem complex.
-------------------
PS More good news - my v 6.1 has now been upgraded to 6.1.1

NB the paragraph between the asterisks has been rewritten to rectify a major omussion.
Last edited by Jasper on Sun 05 Jan 2014, 21:40, edited 3 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#213 Post by BarryK »

charlie6 wrote:Hi,
using the new latest install-scripts: here got a successfull install on a USB flash key + successfull boot on my daughter's Acer Aspire V3-771G (after having set its bios to "legacy").

Noticed:
- flsynclient is not present (whereas flsynclient.desktop is well present); so further touchpads settings can't be done;
- the Pmount window reports 0.0G size for some (un)mounted partitions/usb flash keys;
- i miss .... the siliconmotion.ko video driver :cry: :roll: as i'd like to get a try on an "old" Medion PIII 600MHz ...

Regards, Charlie
Flsynclient fixed for 6.1.1.

Pmount!!!? That photo is not the Pmount that comes with Quirky. Please report bugs with Quirky, not with some PET you got from somewhere.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#214 Post by BarryK »

timothyli wrote:
timothyli wrote:Quirky 6.1 runs great on my Sony 16GB USB 3.0 Micro Vault stick on a Lenovo X201 i5 with 4GB of RAM :) However, if I use a cheap no name USB stick, it is a bit laggy, which is expected.
I've been playing around with Quirky 6.1 a lot these days, experimenting with different size USB sticks/SD cards lying around in the house. I found that Quirky6 is usable only with a speedy USB stick or HD. With slow USB sticks, the best overall user experience is running Precise 5.7.1 loaded entirely into RAM (pfix=ram). I remastered a puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs to include the apps I often use (like Chrome browser, freeoffice) along with all the settings, fonts etc., modify the /usr/sbin/delayedrun script to suppress the first-time popup, write my zoneinfo (America/Toronto) into the /etc/localtime, so that I can boot to a speedy, fully functional, ready-to-use desktop without interruption. Yes, the boot up time is longer than Quirky6's, but once it's up, it remains speedy throughout because everything is in RAM. The speed of the USB stick becomes irrelevant. I can even unplug the USB stick. I work off the cloud (Google Drive) so I rarely need to save stuff back to my local drive. This seems to be the best setup for my use case.

I love the idea of Quirky6 but I wonder what else can be done to improve the performance on slow USB sticks. I tried moving /root/.cache to /tmp but it just helped a little.
Yes, that is the price to pay, running a "full installation" off a USB stick. A bit slow. I am going to continue to tweak it, try and get more things to happen in ram, minimise writes to Flash.

I am running off a USB2 Flash stick right now, it is OK. Not as snappy sometimes, compared with a pup that has loaded everything into RAM.

I haven't tried USB3 or SD-card yet, keen to compare them.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#215 Post by BarryK »

jrb wrote:Has anyone else reported epdfview not printing? Abiword, Seamonkey, geany all print well. Epdfview shows the print dialog box and the proper printer but the print job just disappears. It doesn't show up in the Cups Job list. :?

Other than that working well so far. Thanks BK
For Q 6.1.1, I have rolled epdfview and poppler back to those from Wary. Haven't tried printing yet.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Quirky 6.1 and Issue with Q-Wallpaper

#216 Post by BarryK »

slavvo67 wrote:I installed the Q-Wallpaper in UPUP Precise 3.8.2 (one of my fav Puppies) without any installation problem. However, upon using it appears the program is looking for wallpapers in usr/share/backgrounds/125, while UPUP Precise has the backgrounds in usr/share/backgrounds. I just dragged them into the 125 directory instead of programming it out but just a heads up that it's an issue.
Perhaps you have not followed the instructions given on my blog:
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00037

Quoting:
It does mean though, that the other apps Pwallpaper and Nathan's Wallpaper Setter won't work.
[/quote]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wireless Not working on HP Compaq NC6400 Laptop

#217 Post by BarryK »

Max Headroom wrote:Booting from USB Flash Dr ( installed using Method D img after attempting in vain Method A ) as it's Loading the the Blue Wireless LED is On 'til Loading Ke*nel Modules Appear then the Wireless LED goes Off

I've Tried Manually Loading iwl3945 & the Windows NDISwRapper ( This is an intel ( R ) Pro / Wireless 3945ABG Chip ), But No go

The Puppy Network Wizard Windows says Error!

Failed to raise interface wlan0
Failed Command was: ifconfig wlan0 up
Error Returned was:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: UnkNown Error 132

Then When I Shutdown or Restart Quirky the Blue Wireless LED comes back on !?!

Of Course I've Already Searched the Forum for the answer, But Surprisingly I think I'm Unique 2 this Bug!

Otherwise the Speed is impressive

Thanx Barry K

Did you try with SNS (Simple Network Setup) applicatio?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: momanager

#218 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:
BarryK wrote:Yes, I will put your latest momanager pet into quirky 6.1.1.
Glad to read that.
Thus the momanger will no more be a forked one.

Let me change the title and some other minor things before you put it into quirky.

Quirky is not Puppy (welcome1stboot, .....). I could also change momanager to create langpackQuirky_ as addition to puppy langpack (same already done for Fatdog).

Another issue: translators do not like to load devx.
Just gettext package is enough. I could change these texts too.

EDIT
...done
I have already finalized Q6.1.1

Note, I did change your pinstall.sh, put this around the code:

Code: Select all

if [ "`pwd`" = "/" ];then
fi
That's because when building in woof, don't want that code to run.

Note also, I haven't modified woof, just added your pet to the package-list, so it overrides the momanager that is in woof.

Max Headroom

Thanx Puppy Master 4 Y'r Attn

#219 Post by Max Headroom »

timothyli

#220 Post by timothyli »

I just bought a USB 3.0 32GB Lexar Jumpdrive Model S33 from Bestbuy for $14.99. It is rated at 100 MB/s read and 55 MB/s write. The first thing I did was to put Quirky 6.1 on it and It ran buttery smooth. Sweet :).

With the newer USB drives coming down in price and getting faster, I think Quirky 6 is the right direction to go for Puppy.

Thanks Barry for giving us Quirky 6. It is also my main OS now, although I still miss Google Chrome.