Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#2741 Post by James C »

Quick manual frugal install of lupusuper4 -k-3.9.9.... looking good. Installed Chromium 25 (I already had the pet and I know the newer versions don't work on Lucid) and a few other insignificant pets .....all working fine.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Super Lucid, version 004

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe glx dri

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod fb glx intel kbd mouse record

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 2065MB (173MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Puppy Linux
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon Dec 30 23:34:59 2013
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Code: Select all

# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:      2065716       604360      1461356            0        58424
 Swap:      2150396            0      2150396
Total:      4216112       604360      3611752
# 
Attachments
lupusuper4.jpg
(32.29 KiB) Downloaded 674 times

James C

#2742 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of the latest 5.2.8.6 on same hardware.All good again.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid , version 528

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe glx dri

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod fb glx intel kbd mouse record

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# uname -a
Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:      2067060       434168      1632892            0        31464
 Swap:      2150392            0      2150392
Total:      4217452       434168      3783284
# 

rerwin

lupusuper2 graphics drivers and updated QuickPet

#2743 Post by rerwin »

I am moving the "finish line" a bit, to allow lupusuper2, which uses the precise pup 5.7.1 kernel, 3.2.48, to become a fully operational upgrade for lucid pup 5.2.8.6.

The showstoppers, so far, have been the non-functioning QuickPet and proprietary video graphics drivers. I have upgraded QuickPet to support all of the offered nVidia drivers and have built the drivers for lupusuper2 with shinobar's "miraculous" 'getnvidia' package, as both pet packages and SFS files.

The drivers are at the lucid pup download site, at:Use whichever form suits you. Note that they are initially for only lupusuper2/sulu002.

The updated QuickPet Drivers 'test your graphics card' button should tell you which driver you need. You can then download only that driver.

Please report your results here, so I can be confident they will work in the "final" release. Thanks for any help.

BTW, shinobar's getnvidia will be added to lupu 5.2.8.6, making it simple for anyone to create nvidia driver packages. It is very easy to use.
Richard

EDIT: The same set of drivers for lupu itself, for kernel 2.6.33.2, has been uploaded to the download site. The sets are now in separate subdirectories for each version of lupu/sulu, to make them easier to find.

EDIT: The set of nvidia drivers for lupusuper4, for kernel 3.9.9, are now uploaded, joining the others.
Attachments
quickpet_beta-20140101.pet
Test version of updated QuickPet being added to lupu 5.2.8.6.
(17.16 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.

sszindian

super-4

#2744 Post by sszindian »

Test on Lupusuper4-5.2.8.6

Well... First... I just had to do it, Check Out The WiFi... since in the past with most other puppy programs it has been nothing short of a headache for my- Linksys USB rt2800usb system to get configured. In fact so far only Wheezy puppy has setup and worked without any problems. I was already automatically connected to 'eth0' on starting the new puppy so that wasn't an issue. OK here we go... Shut down and created a SAVE file like asked at the FIRST dialog box on initial fire-up. After start-up again, pulled the Ethernet cable out of the modem and went for WiFi setup using 'frisbee' setup. Frisbee searched and found my WiFi configuration right off the bat. I said 'connect' and the small dialog window appeared asking for my encryption key password. Typed that in and Bingo!!! WiFi was connected and singing like a bird to my system... 'Nice job on that rerwin!'

Next went for Google Earth as that has always been a little tricky finding the correct version that works the best. I opted for the one in the setup menu, installed it. Went to PPM installed the 'xorg high-graphics' package (Google Earth Will Not Run Without It In This Puppy) and shortly I was looking at a picture of the earth from space. Nice... but in order to use the search function in Google Earth, you have to go into-
/opt/google/earth/free and 'rename or delete' the file named- libcurl.so.4 (that should be removed in next build!)

Installed Firefox-24 from PPM... nice that it's on automatic-update, installed '26 update' after clicking on the 'about Firefox' heading in the browser toolbar... nice!

So far, performance has been very nice... the 3.9.9 Kernel is very responsive in this build and works nice on theis old P-4 box... it's as fast as one would want a distro to be I believe!'

It would be interesting to see how a 3.12.x Kernel would do in this puppy.... 'Eh... rerwin?'

Keep up the good work... an old puppy has been given new life to run with the best of the pack!

>>>---Indian------>

EDIT: Before I forget... one issue noted, the 'Weather' module keeps dropping from the desktop after an Internet session etc., Using 2.4 Pwidgets!
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rerwin

Re: super-4

#2745 Post by rerwin »

sszindian,
Thanks for your enthusiastic report.
Nice... but in order to use the search function in Google Earth, you have to go into-
/opt/google/earth/free and 'rename or delete' the file named- libcurl.so.4 (that should be removed in next build!)
Can you tell me more about this? I need to know the reasoning behind the removal, in case it would impact something else.
It would be interesting to see how a 3.12.x Kernel would do in this puppy.... 'Eh... rerwin?'
To try that, I need to know of a puppy distro that already uses that kernel. The kernel-switch process starts with an existing puppy to supply the kernel pieces.
EDIT: Before I forget... one issue noted, the 'Weather' module keeps dropping from the desktop after an Internet session etc., Using 2.4 Pwidgets!
I am very nervous about pwidgets, because it takes over the puppy internals and is impossible to remove (if you change your mind about using it). If there is someone maintaining pwidgets, they should be given some logs to provide evidence. A pdiag file would be good, but the main logs to provide are: /tmp/xerrs.log, /var/log.messages and the output of the dmesg command. Maybe pwidgets has its own logs, but they would require a pwidgets expert.
Richard

sszindian

Google Earth

#2746 Post by sszindian »

rerwin wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sszindian wrote:
Nice... but in order to use the search function in Google Earth, you have to go into-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rerwin wrote:
Can you tell me more about this? I need to know the reasoning behind the removal, in case it would impact something else.

As far as I can find out, the libcurl.so.4 was only for the search function in Google Earth (Google Earth BELOW version 7) Some (in various forums) say that some other script in Google Earth will 'over-ride' the libcurl.so.4 script for the search feature. I can't say for sure as there are mixed-thoughts on this. What I 'Do Know' is that by either deleting or re-name it to something like 'OLD-libcurl.so.4' (which I did in every pup I have running Google Earth below version 7) allows the search function to work as it should and I can't find where any of the other Google Earth functions don't work as they should or are affected by the re-name or delete of it.

Apparently Google 'fixed' this problem (or eliminated the libcurl.so.4 script) in their version 7 but... most older computers won't run version 7 unless you up-date your graphics card to a much newer one so having Google Earth '7' in the PPM will probably eliminate more Google Earth users for puppy than it will gain unless they have a much newer computer?

If 'I' were building the puppy program, I would eliminate the libcurl.so.4 and make it available in the PPM (with notification) that it's available should anyone find the need for for it in Google Earth (below version 7.) but... that's your call! All I do know is that the available Google Earth's you have available in the PPM (below version 7)... the SEARCH FUNCTION WILL NOT WORK in your present builds!

Phweeee... >>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

mikeb

#2747 Post by mikeb »

Just thought you all would like to hear what Barry thinks about those of us that use Lucid....
But, if you want to use an ancient version of Puppy (5.2.8.006) that lacks so many good features, and you want to reinvent the wheel, that is your choice.

Anyway, I'll go away and leave you to it.
Nice to have his approval

mike

rerwin

#2748 Post by rerwin »

mikeb,
Well, lupu is ancient as far as some of its applications go. But I am attempting to upgrade the pieces the folks in this thread and elsewhere call to my attention. And I have made several small internal improvements that I plan eventually to provide to the woof-CE project. Barry's comment seems triggered by an expectation that lupu is part of the evolution of puppy that he has provided.

Lupu is frozen in time except for selected upgrades, often plucked from recent puppy developments. I maintain it for those of us happy to stick with it because is does not evolve, but serves our needs over the years.

The comment related to digital camera support, which Barry improved after playdayz's final version, 528-005. Unfortunately, Barry's PupCamera tool was never made into a pet package, so would require extracting the scattered pieces into a package that we can install in lupu.
EDIT 1/6/2014: To respect Barry's decision to keep PupCamera an integral part of puppy, I have backported it into the next version of 5.2.8.6.

sszindian,
I have added p(un)install.sh scripts to the only google-earth (6...) package in the repo and named the new version as "528" instead of "525". I will upload it shortly and add it to the "PET Packages" directory there.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/424b6x ... 20Packages

pinstall.sh:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -h usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 -a ! -e usr/lib/libcurl.so.4HIDE ];then
 mv usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 usr/lib/libcurl.so.4HIDE
fi

if [ "$(readlink usr/lib/libcurl.so.3)" != "libcurl.so" ];then
 mv usr/lib/libcurl.so.3 usr/lib/libcurl.so.3HIDE
 ln -s libcurl.so usr/lib/libcurl.so.3
fi
puninstall.sh

#!/bin/sh
if [ -h /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4HIDE ];then
 mv -f /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4HIDE /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4
fi

if [ -h /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3HIDE ];then
 rm -f /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3
 mv -f /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3HIDE /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3
fi
I do not want to break the libcurl.so.3 link when removing the suggested link. I hope you will try it.

EDIT: As I upload the new package, I notice that it is one-third the size of the original. That does not bode well. I will look into that.

I am close to starting remastering of the next set of uploads of 5.2.8.6, containing gnome-mplayer-1.0.7, pfbpanel-0.5 (by radky -- adds a battery monitor) and QuickPet for all lupu/sulus with improved nvidia driver determination. I have already uploaded nvidia drivers for lupu and sulu2.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 06 Jan 2014, 21:23, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

#2749 Post by mikeb »

Nice work.... I did rebuild mplayer for Lucid for my own qhims...just streamlined it down to include player only ability (ie no encoding) and dropped a few dependancies that seemed (to me) unneeded..libsambaclient and the framebuffer stuff... the full blown debian builds do like to include the Out house sink.

As for Lucid..it did pioneer using ubuntu as a binary source and its repositories...without the work that went into that puppy precise might not even exist as such.

mike

bigpup

#2750 Post by bigpup »

A long term supported version of Puppy, has been needed for a long time.

Lucid Puppy is that version for me.

rerwin,

Keep up the good work you are doing.

Many people may not tell you, but I know many do thank you :!: :!: :!: :!: :D :D

Just because it is new does not make it better.

Windows Vista sure proved that :twisted: :evil: :roll: :shock:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ASRI éducation

#2751 Post by ASRI éducation »

bigpup wrote:Keep up the good work you are doing.

Many people may not tell you, but I know many do thank you
Of course.
Thank you rerwin!
Cordialement,
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

rcrsn51

#2752 Post by rcrsn51 »

rerwin wrote:The comment related to digital camera support, which Barry improved after playdayz's final version, 528-005. Unfortunately, Barry's PupCamera tool was never made into a pet package, so would require extracting the scattered pieces into a package that we can install in lupu. I am not ready at this time to take that on. But it seems do-able.
PeasyPrint was also created in the dark times prior to PupCamera. But it has a camera mounting option based on gphotofs that works fine for me in Lupu. Mount the camera and drag the files to a new location.

Get it here. You need peasyprint-2.3.pet and gphotofs-1.0.pet. Read the instructions for mounting and unmounting.

rerwin

#2753 Post by rerwin »

Thanks, rcrsn51. I am adding the 2 packages to 5.2.8.6. RPhoto is too large -- it would probably make the main puppy file too big to fit into 256MB RAMs (considering the reduction reserved for video RAM).
R

mikeb

#2754 Post by mikeb »

I did save 5-10 MB uncompressed with the mplayer (plus gecko player) build...if you are looking at saving space...one to consider perhaps..

Mike

rerwin

#2755 Post by rerwin »

OK, I "caved". I have extracted pupcamera and gphoto2 from wary for the next build. Now, my question is whether it can replace peasyprint or are they complementary, in that they do different things?

My concern is that peasyprint is part of a group "peasy" utilities, that probably should be left for modern puppies. Does peasyprint perform a required function not otherwise present in lucid pup?
Richard

Moose On The Loose

#2756 Post by Moose On The Loose »

rerwin wrote:OK, I "caved". I have extracted pupcamera and gphoto2 from wary for the next build. Now, my question is whether it can replace peasyprint or are they complementary, in that they do different things?

My concern is that peasyprint is part of a group "peasy" utilities, that probably should be left for modern puppies. Does peasyprint perform a required function not otherwise present in lucid pup?
Richard
Can you also make a pet out of it. I am running 5.2.8 and have made a start on my own path towards camera integration. I have made changes to my 528 system and don't want to have to try to remake them on an new install.

In return for your efforts:
I suggest you put in a copy of the psync-2.0 I made.
I mostly worked on making it so it always worked or it tried to tell you why it didn't. The one that came with 528 would never sync my computer at boot and gave no indication of why, for example.

I am going to continue on a few improvements in the pmount and will pass them along as I get something that is fully tested.

Other than integrating the camera into pmount, I am mostly attacking things that made pmount have worrisome long pauses before the next dialog comes up on a liveCD with a small amount of RAM.

mikeb

#2757 Post by mikeb »

I am going to continue on a few improvements in the pmount and will pass them along as I get something that is fully tested.

Other than integrating the camera into pmount, I am mostly attacking things that made pmount have worrisome long pauses before the next dialog comes up on a liveCD with a small amount of RAM.
I built mut2 with ext4 support.... thats the daemon not the gui... might be of use to you...works fine in Lucid.

mike

EdD

#2758 Post by EdD »

"Frisbee searched and found my WiFi configuration right off the bat. I said 'connect' and the small dialog window appeared asking for my encryption key password. Typed that in and Bingo!!! WiFi was connected and singing like a bird to my system... "

Frisbee, to me, is one of the all time great additions to Puppy. I was so pleased with it from the very first that I wanted to send a donation to the developer. Still do, for that matter. Having it preset and ready to install without an internet connection was a great idea for Lucid.

mikeb

#2759 Post by mikeb »

Including good software I believe is one of Lucids trademarks :) part of its pupularity.

Not sure if Jemimah is available for hugs....

mike

Hotdog

#2760 Post by Hotdog »

Just a quick input here to say that Lucid 5.2.8 has been my standard OS since it was released. My installation is so loaded now (in the gigabytes) that a change to something else would be a chore. And fortunately, I do not wish to change. In fact, I keep a few Puppy 5.2.8 CDs around to give away and when folks will let me I install it for them.

My progression through Linux was been Redhat when it was free, then Fedora, CentOS, Puppy 5.1.1 then Puppy 5.2.8. For me Lucid has been the perfect fit. I am grateful to all who have had a part in making this OS available to us.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]