#1 Post by Pelo »

Wireless inop on my medion P7624
Iwlagn works well on other distros

Could you do anything about that ?

Merci beaucoup.
Attachments
PupKview.jpg
(46.98 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 19 Apr 2014, 07:58, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

CSL dongle and driver RTL892CU will provide Wireless

#2 Post by Pelo »

Modèle : Clé Wi-Fi / WLAN CSL 300 Mbps / Type : Adaptateur USB Wireless-N avec WPS | technologie MiMo / MIMO avec une force de pénétration du signal plus importante ainsi qu'une couverture Wi-Fi plus large
Interface : USB 2.0, compatible avec USB 1.1 / compatibilité ascendante avec USB 3.0 | Bande de fréquences : 2,4 GHz, 13 canaux
Normes : IEEE802.11n/g/b / Débit de données : 11n : jusqu'à 300 Mbps / 11g : jusqu'à 54 Mb/s / 11b : jusqu'à 11 Mb/s | La vitesse N vous offre les meilleurs résultats pour la retransmission vidéo HD
Sécurité : Cryptage 64/128 bits/WPA/WPA2/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
Dimensions : env. 55 × 25 × 9 mm | Couleur : noir | Compatibilité : Microsoft® Windows® 10, Windows® 8.1 (32/64 bits), Windows® 8 (32/64 bits), Windows® 7 (32/64 bits), Windows® Vista (32/64 bits), Windows® XP (32/64 bits), Windows® 2000, MacOS ainsi que Raspberry Pi
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 30 Oct 2015, 16:08, edited 5 times in total.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Read the information about updating the iwlagn firmware for Puppy Lucid here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 421#497421

If still no success, you need to run the "dmesg" command, and post any/all information you see relating to "iwl..."

Pelo

Iwlagn ( wext wl)

#4 Post by Pelo »

Hello Sir; From time to time, i try to make wireless working on LUCID 528. Today,it's the case. As in newest puppies wifi is connected via driver wl (public connection only), i tried it on Lucid 528, but successless.
Even with iwlagn-firmware-update-k2.6.33.2.pet.

If you dont have a solution, dont mind. Just tell me.
Merci.
Attachments
iwlagn.png
(11.97 KiB) Downloaded 850 times

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

According to Google, your Medion P7624 has an Intel 1030 wifi device.
That's consistent with your original query regarding the iwlagn driver.

But then I read this -
Pelo wrote:As in newest puppies wifi is connected via driver wl
"wl"?? That's the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver! It has nothing to do with your Intel wifi device.
What's going on? Have you manually specified this driver to load in the Network Wizard?

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

I have sent Pelo a PM asking for a response.

Pelo

iwalagn was the needed driver, sure.

#7 Post by Pelo »

iwalagn was the needed driver, sure. was not working with lucid 528 and all puppies issued before. Iwlagn is part of iwlwifi. Wl (wext) has been added to iwlwifi.

My question is how to try this new one on Lucid 528 with some chance of success. See my PM response. Kind of you to take my demand in account. Have a nice week'end ( my demand is not urgent, i am connected via ethernet ).

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

OK, I think I see what's going on. You have been referring at various points to three different wifi drivers: "iwlagn" "wl" and "iwlwifi".
It sounds like you are confusing "wl" and "iwlwifi" as being the same, or related. They're not.

In older Puppies, such as Lucid 5.1/5.2, the iwlagn driver supported Intel wifi devices.
In modern Puppies, such as Slacko 5.4/5.5, the iwlagn driver has been updated to the iwlwifi driver.

Your Medion P7624 has an Intel 1030 wifi device, so yes, it's supported by either the iwlagn or iwlwifi driver, depending on Puppy version.

The wl driver is Broadcom's proprietary driver for Broadcom wifi devices. In some instances it works better than the in-kernel b43 driver, and can be considered a replacement. But it's completely unrelated, and incompatible with, Intel wifi devices !!

I think you're under the mistaken impression that your system is using the "wl" driver. That's impossible - you might be specifying this driver to load in the Network Wizard, and your dmesg output refers to this driver - but what's really happening is that Puppy is attempting to load this driver - and will find no compatible hardware. So the wl driver is loaded, but totally inactive.
Meanwhile Puppy still detects your Intel 1030 hardware, and automatically loads the iwlagn driver - I know this for sure - I can see it in your dmesg results.
Pelo wrote:Last releases of puppy distros show this module wl Wext replacing iwlagn to connect wireless.
Incorrect. wl is unrelated to iwlagn.

Pelo wrote:It seems to me that this driver (wl) was proposed too in replacement of B43.
Correct.

Your Network Wizard configuration as illustrated is totally ineffectual under Lucid 5.28. The iwlwifi driver does not exist in Lucid 5.28, and cannot (and should not) be added.
Attachments
wext.png
(11.9 KiB) Downloaded 781 times

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

Overall, apart from your mistaken assumptions, I think you're saying that the iwlagn in Lucid 5.28 only has limited success.
This may be true, since the iwlagn driver is older, and it's trying to support a relatively new version of Intel wifi device - your Intel 1030.

I'm afraid that's difficult to fix, or improve ...
but as I've said before, different wifi drivers have different levels of success depending on the brand of wifi router, and type of encryption.
So if, for example, you are using WPA (TKIP) encryption, try changing the router's settings to use WPA2 (AES/CCMP) instead. Or vice versa.

Pelo

iwlwifi driver for medion p7624

#10 Post by Pelo »

Tempestuous, many thanks for yr search. I confirm iwlwifi works on newest Slacko and Racy, and etc... on my Medion P7624. Iwlagn was working well too.
In french we use the word "retrofit". It's to apply a new technology on old products (Lucids).

For yr info and to thank you, yr drivers pets about lucid 5.1 have made my old lucids connected to internet in this damned german Medion P7624 ( My Acer aspire 3000 is dying !).

I will soon make a try of my own, the door i shut, i will try by the window... I will keep you informed of the results. I appreciate a lot your seriousness in getting answers.

Pelo

iwlagn iwlwifi on LUCID

#11 Post by Pelo »

31 december 2013 : how i succeed in connectin Lucid to wireless ?
By switching the kernel to 3.0.25 from Racy 5.3.
Thanks you very very much for yr kind help..
So i wish you happy new year tonight. :D

tempestuous

#12 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, if you're not prepared to move up to a more modern Puppy, then a kernel upgrade is the only solution ...
but according to forum member jrb, Lucid may have problems with a 3.x kernel -
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 452#739452

So a better kernel upgrade might be the one from Three-Headed-Dog (Puppy 5.2.9), which is kernel 2.6.37.6 ...
but you will still need to install the firmware update from here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 421#497421

Then again, you might as well do a full replacement installation of Three-Headed-Dog, since it's based on the Lucid-series, and will be very similar to the Puppy you already have.

Pelo

Super Lucids !

#13 Post by Pelo »

Super Lucids ! My pproblem was solved by changing the kernel to 3.0.25.
But now Super Lucid (sulu) is born. That is perfect.
Really good way of doing in the Puppy Lucid team : permanent improvment.
Thanks, and continue, don't make a new distro, improve it :idea:

hamoudoudou

Lucid now has a version with kernel 3.0.25

#14 Post by hamoudoudou »

Lucid now has a version with kernel 3.0.25
done the same with old midnigtpup Pemasu
Attachments
midnightsun-001.jpg
lupu 005 to 005
(30.7 KiB) Downloaded 34 times