Wary 5.5 hangs on "Please wait, copying Puppy files to sda2"

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
jerryb1961

Wary 5.5 hangs on "Please wait, copying Puppy files to sda2"

#1 Post by jerryb1961 »

I have an old Averatec 3200-series laptop that I'm trying to breathe new life into.

Wary 5.5 boots off the CD just fine and even detected the damnable Unichrome video chipset, and a WPC54G wireless card(!) as well. Running off the live CD works fine.

However, installing to the hard drive doesn't work. This is a regular, not 'frugal' install. I created a partition for it, and a swap partition, and directed the installer to look for the Puppy files on the CD. Upon starting that particular stage of the install there's a hard lock up. The HDD and CD cease activity; the mouse pointer doesn't move; no keyboard, etc. Do I need to pass failsafe parameters to the kernel, and if so, how I do I do that before I start the install?

TIA....!

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Sounds like the symptoms of a RAM crash.. how much RAM do you have? You could try to make a swap file/partition to take the pressure off of RAM.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jerryb1961

#3 Post by jerryb1961 »

01micko wrote:Sounds like the symptoms of a RAM crash.. how much RAM do you have? You could try to make a swap file/partition to take the pressure off of RAM.
I'm not sure I understand. I did create a swap partition. The machine has 1GB of RAM

nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

Is this computer a dual boot? What is on sda1? Why is PUI copying files to sda2? In a simple partition setup, the swap partition is usually designated sda2, so you may be installing to the swap partition, which is not gonna fly. Please provide a description of your partitions (use resident GParted partition manager). After proper partitioning, the boot flag must be set on the Puppy partition, which is typically sda1.

jerryb1961

#5 Post by jerryb1961 »

nubc wrote:Is this computer a dual boot? What is on sda1? Why is PUI copying files to sda2? In a simple partition setup, the swap partition is usually designated sda2, so you may be installing to the swap partition, which is not gonna fly. Please provide a description of your partitions (use resident GParted partition manager). After proper partitioning, the boot flag must be set on the Puppy partition, which is typically sda1.
Yes, it's dual-boot. The first partition is designated sda1 and contains XP, then sda2 is an ext2 one I created with gparted, then finally there's a 2GB swap partition.

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

It's easy to full-install Puppy, takes 5 or 10 minutes. You could try installing a slightly earlier version of Wary, to determine if the problem is a kernel issue. You could go back as far as Wary 5.2 at the earliest, and perhaps upgrade SeaMonkey with watchdog's SM2.23 package. It's easy enough to delete such a trial installation. Just delete the partition (sda2) using GParted and then add it back. May I also suggest you use the ext3 file system, because ext3 journaling facilitates recovery in case of improper shutdown or power failure. By way of example, after accidental power failure, the automatic system file check on an ext2 partition can take 15 to 20 minutes.