Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nooby

#261 Post by nooby »

saintless wrote:Ntfs-3g downgraded initrd.img desktop freeze problem fixed. All seems to work stable with downgraded initrd. Need some more testing before creating new iso.

Cheers, Toni
Wow good that looks promising then
that Wheezy will work on any old computer.

My HP/Compaq Ms Vista AND Dual core CPU
hopefully will be included then. It was bought aroun 2010
or earlier? I fail to remember
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sklimkin

#262 Post by sklimkin »

Hi All
Hi, fredx181
fredx181 wrote:
I'm in doubt if it's appropriate to share my results here because it's not pure debian anymore
... ...
It just uses the "porteus way" of setting up the portable system, for the rest it's the exact wheezy-light from Toni with some more debian stuff added.
... ...
But the flexibility of boot options (cheatcodes) WOW!
I am convinced that we should "go away" from the live-boot Mr. Baumann.
Using live-xxxx opportunities Porteus today the most attractive alternative.

Puppyrus.org team did just that. But they use to recompile the kernel from Arch-repo.
And our task is to keep the core and kernel of Debian for easy migration (later) into new Debian kernels, right?

I have a request: Put a separate archive scripts converted from Porteus for Debian.
And if you find the time - then comments on how they work. Many developers miss this moment and it is difficult for users to understand the logic of the sctipts-chain.

Waiting for your new realization live-xxxx (porteus-->debian).

Sergey.

saintless

#263 Post by saintless »

Hi, guys,

The new base is uploaded: Wneezy-Light-Downgrade-2kernels.iso - 115 Mb
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Whe ... ernels.iso
vmlinuz1 = old hardware (no-pae).
vmlinuz2 = new hardware + more than 4 Gb RAM support.

It has both kernels included for easier development. The size is bigger but removing one of the kernels later will reduce the iso size with 33 Mb. We can make 2 versions with pae and no-pae kernel when the base is ready and each one will be 33 Mb smaller.

Both initrd.img are downgraded - created with initramfs-tools v.2.5
This means we have back Copy on Write /live/cow and /live/image with latest Wheezy live-boot version at the same time.

Both initrd.img have ntfs-3g driver included. Nooby, I hope it will work for your boot NTFS partition. If it doesn't I have no idea what else to do.

If someone like to use the original initrd.img created with initramfs-tools v.3 I will upload them soon. The original initrd.img files will remove Copy on Write and the boot folder will be /lib/live/mount/medium Also it will use persistence boot option + persistence save file + persistence.conf file needed.

All from last IcEwm-Wheezy is included + Frisbee WiFi network manager + Rox-filer, GtkDialog + all dependencies, Mtpaint, IsoMaster, Xarchiver, ntfs-3g rebuilded in initrd.img, Lxrandr (resize screen resolution GUI), galculator (portable version much smaller than installing with apt-get).

All wheezy files will be uploaded in Light-Wheezy folder HERE:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Wheezy/
Note this all previous Wheezy files will be removed in a few days. If someone needs them this is the time to download them.

Use live-rw save file and persistent option in menu.list
live-rw file can be placed on your boot partition or any other.
If you boot without save file /live/img will be remounted RW on boot from initrd.img included script.

On boot you will get warnings skipping mount squashfs. I can remove the warnings by editing mount-functions script but lets test first without removing them.

Boot codes for frugal install:

Code: Select all

title No-Pae-Kernel- old PC
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live config persistent quickreboot noprompt autologin
  initrd /live/initrd1.img 

title Pae-kernel New PC (more than 4 Gb RAM)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /live/vmlinuz2 boot=live config persistent quickreboot noprompt autologin
  initrd /live/initrd2.img 
If you like copy to RAM option for frugal install use toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

Sunburnt and others, I will wait for your opinion about this base.
I will start working with Squeezy version till we have what to share here.

Cheers, Toni
Attachments
new.jpg
(70.64 KiB) Downloaded 1239 times
Last edited by saintless on Sun 29 Dec 2013, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

big_bass

#264 Post by big_bass »

Last edited by big_bass on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 16:19, edited 3 times in total.

saintless

#265 Post by saintless »

Hi, Joe, and thank you :) Also for TXZ_pup - one of my favorite puppies.

I hope to take this project to the end with the help of Sunburnt, Fredx, Sergey and others. This Wheezy-Light is created on PIII 600 Mhz, 128 MB RAM, 2 Gb SWAP partition. With small apps it works well on this old PC. With better hardware it gives easy option to have the latest apps.

Cheers, Toni

sklimkin

#266 Post by sklimkin »

Hi Tony
Last work is fine!

If continue using live-xxxx tools, then:
mksquashfs bin dev etc media mnt opt run sbin selinux srv tmp 01-bin.squashfs
mksquashfs lib 02-lib.squashfs
mksquashfs usr 03-usr.squashfs
mksquashfs var 04-var.squashfs
mksquashfs boot home root 05-home-root.squashfs
mksquashfs <some-additions> 06-tools.squashfs
maybe more clear structure for distrib's?
Not now, but in future ...

live-boot v.2.0.15 can load/mount up to 7 base *.squashfs modules at start.

Sergey.

sunburnt

#267 Post by sunburnt »

Here`s pizzasgoods page for retrovol ( haven`t checked to see if it`s needed, but I like it ).
This page for the project and bottom of page says: This software is released into the public domain.

https://github.com/pizzasgood/retrovol

nooby

#268 Post by nooby »

Toni I finally had a success booting wheezy
and using the vmlinuz1 have not tested the other one.
That boot gives a lot or errors but still boots to a working x

But the vmlinuz2 give less error messages
but the Browser fails to get google.com going

So not sure what that means.

this is the first time I got wheezy going so
the changes you did worked well so great thanks.
Late at night here and my eyes feel very sleepy
so see you tomorrow

sklimkin

#269 Post by sklimkin »

Here are my 5 cents in a piggy bank.
Screenshoter based on the old and time-tested "scrot".
GUI made ​​myself when I studied the Linux GTK+

I can not remember the size of files to install "scrot"
Without installation "scrot" this will not work.
Maybe it will come in handy.
The archive link are:
C-source file Makefile, executable, and screenshots.
http://www.mediafire.com/?l79j1cb2ll4gbhc

Sergey.
Attachments
2013-12-30-015817_228x118_scrot.png
(11.98 KiB) Downloaded 982 times

fredx181

#270 Post by fredx181 »

Hi all
As I said before I've been experimenting with the "porteus way" of running portable live system,persistency combined with Toni's wheezy-light.
So it's pure debian, apt-get works etc... (nothing to do with slackware)
Except the initrd.xz is from porteus and kernel is 3.9.11-porteus (on TODO list to make it work with stock debian kernel).
The initrd.xz is modified by me but I'm not yet satisfied completely.
Some things I need help to improve if possible e.g. mount message at boot and unmounting not all properly at shutdown.
It's based on Toni's wheezy but added more applications, window manager is openbox with on top of it xfce4 ( not full xfce)
The reason for openbox is just because I like xfce and wasn't able to combine it nicely with icwm.
Added:
- alsa
- gtk2
- iceweasel
- frisbee
- pup-volume-monitor
- obshutdown
- openbox
- filemnt: mount .xzm, .dat .sfs, .squashfs, .4fs, .iso
- leafpad
- xfce4-panel
- xfdesktop
- thunar
- conky
- ntfs-3g

Removed:
- live-boot
- live-boot-initramfs-tools

Still very light and low memory usage.
It is larger of course than original wheezy-light (around 100MB)
Can make later if wanted a porteus based original small wheezy-light.
The .squashfs extension is now .xzm and are located in /debian/base and can be placed also in /debian/modules

THIS IS FOR TESTING, NOT READY YET!

How to use with boot options see here:
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-gen ... -them.html

But here some examples for grub(4dos):
Create new folder say for this example "portdeb" on root of some drive, say sda1 (hd0,0) --adjust this to what you prefer--
Extract in portdeb so you get "/portdeb/debian" (do NOT change name of "debian' folder)

This will create automaticly /portdeb/debian/changes folder for changes:

title Portdeb (sda1/portdeb)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel (hd0,0)/portdeb/vmlinuz noauto copy2ram from=/portdeb/ changes=/portdeb/debian/
  initrd (hd0,0)/portdeb/initrd.xz
This need to be created "changes.dat" (or whatever custom name) savefile first for saving changes (see below for how to create):

root (hd0,0)
  kernel (hd0,0)/portdeb/vmlinuz noauto copy2ram from=/portdeb/ changes=/portdeb/debian/changes.dat
This way of saving changes is equivalent of "pupmode=13" in puppy , saving changes only at shutdown (my favorite :) ):

root (hd0,0)
  kernel (hd0,0)/portdeb/vmlinuz noauto copy2ram from=/portdeb/ changes=EXIT:/portdeb/debian/changes.dat
Note for last example: there will be prompt for save or not to save but only when running X; choose "Logout" from menu. Also for prompt to create savefile first time boot.

To make changes.dat size 500Mb filesystem ext4:

dd if=/dev/zero of=changes.dat bs=1M count=500 
mkfs.ext4 -q -m 0 -F changes.dat
But there's also gui "Create Savefile" for that using yad in the menu and on desktop.

The mounted directory for changes is /mnt/live/memory/changes (simular to /live/cow)
The mounted directory for changes saved when "changes=EXIT:/..." is used is: /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit

Here's Porteus-Wheezy.tar.gz (didn't make iso yet so only for frugal install)
EDIT: Is now Porteus-Wheezy.iso:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing

@sklimkin
Yes I will give info about how the scripts are chained (and more) later... it's complicated for sure.

Regards
Fredx
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

Smithy

#271 Post by Smithy »

Gave the Saintless 115mb ISO a try. Knocked it off to a usb stick with LILI.

I would do it the rcrn51 way with those 4 files and a terminal command but it probably wouldn't work being different, anyway no problems with the lili.

First boot gave the options, did PAE ram, lots of writing whizzing by.
Then up it comes, no problem. Video autodetected 1440X900.

No audio that I could see (speaker icon) but that is not in yet, right?

The Frisbee won't cut it for all methods of network connection, Barry's SNS always does.
EDIT: Frisbee fine, but it needs some kind of pupdial for DNS type connections integrated.

XFE looks like one can get used to it quite easily, had to find my hard drives, not in mount but in media.

And maybe you could get a stylist in when all the basic computery bits are to your satisfaction.

Maybe if possible if you just want to mount or unmount just one hdd or partition could this be achieved? Currently you can only mount/ unmount every HD.

And the menu is already featuring "duplicates" of apps for terminals and other things, so will possibly end up cluttered?

OK though! At least it comes up to the desktop without popups asking you to do this and that.

Just a quick noob perspective on first boot and a shufty around :)

It probably took a great deal of work to get to this stage so..nice one!
Last edited by Smithy on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#272 Post by mcewanw »

sunburnt wrote:Here`s pizzasgoods page for retrovol ( haven`t checked to see if it`s needed, but I like it ).
This page for the project and bottom of page says: This software is released into the public domain.

https://github.com/pizzasgood/retrovol
I've always found that retrovol uses too much cpu for all it is. I haven't had that problem with the following alternative:

http://softwarebakery.com/maato/volumeicon.html

Another good, low-resource-using basic is Lxtask, which is the taskmanager used with LXDE, but it doesn't need that environment since dependency-wise it only needs gtk+.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... xtask.html
github mcewanw

big_bass

#273 Post by big_bass »

Last edited by big_bass on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 16:23, edited 4 times in total.

anikin

#274 Post by anikin »

Hi all,
A quick run of debport - impressive, all I can say..
fredx181, nice job!

root@debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 3.9.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 22 23:09:06 UTC 2013 i686 GNU/Linux
root@debian:~#
Attachments
wheezyport.jpeg
(56.99 KiB) Downloaded 572 times

James C

#275 Post by James C »

saintless wrote:Hi, guys,

The new base is uploaded: Wneezy-Light-Downgrade-2kernels.iso - 115 Mb
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Whe ... ernels.iso
vmlinuz1 = old hardware (no-pae).
vmlinuz2 = new hardware + more than 4 Gb RAM support.

It has both kernels included for easier development. The size is bigger but removing one of the kernels later will reduce the iso size with 33 Mb. We can make 2 versions with pae and no-pae kernel when the base is ready and each one will be 33 Mb smaller.
Been busy and not feeling well but finally got around to giving this a quick live test. Everything working on initial boot, installed several packages.....seemed to work really well.
I will attempt to do an install the next day or two.

Tested with the non-pae kernel....... I won't even use pae on my boxes with 16 Gb of ram.

James C

#276 Post by James C »

fredx181 wrote: Here's Porteus-Wheezy.tar.gz (didn't make iso yet so only for frugal install)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing
I did install this and it's working well.Other than not detecting my swap partition (an easy fix) looking really good.
Attachments
Working well.jpg
(53.56 KiB) Downloaded 538 times

James C

#277 Post by James C »

I made the default 100 mb savefile (changes.dat) from the menu entry but was unable to reboot....error message about not enough space on the device.
Deleted savefile,rebooted and then made a 500 mb savefile when the exit dialog appeared........rebooted fine.
Because of my Nvidia graphics I need to add nouveau.noaccel=1 to the kernel line (necessary with Porteus as well).

And got swap working.....

root@debian:~# uname -r
3.9.11-porteus
root@debian:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1033396     562180     471216          0      52160     362364
-/+ buffers/cache:     147656     885740
Swap:      1228936          0    1228936

mcewanw

#278 Post by mcewanw »

So we have two different versions, one by fredx181 using porteus boot methods an one by saintless? That's great, though personally I think it becomes important to separate them into two threads to avoid user confusion (just as Debian Light Squeeze also has a separate thread of its own). What do you think?

Can cross-link for parts that are bound to remain in common. I used to have a separate thread for a project I used to work on (foksyfeyer) which fed into and also fed from another thread dealing with much in common (Speechpup by Trobin) - I found that process worked very well and believe it helped and encouraged the progress of both projects, which had a lot of user-interest at that time.

I'm finding this debian light "puppy-lookalike" effort one of the most interesting projects going on at the moment, with huge potential I feel. It is not just a Puppy that can sometimes use debian binaries successfully, but a true debian that has apt for package management but with the look, size and functionality of Puppy, which inspires it.

I am hoping this distribution will also be truly multi-user capable?
github mcewanw

saintless

#279 Post by saintless »

Hi, guys,

thank you for testing and the ideas you give. I will read proper your posts today and make a list of essential packages to be included as wget, makedev and others. BTW makedev should make possible loadin more than 7 sfs files on boot.

Multiuser - I think it is capable even now but have to experiment a little. You can login as user with password live in both squeeze and wheezy versions.

Fredx - I will create a folder today named Porteus-Wheezy and I will upload your iso there with download link on the first post. When you want to upload another version or any packages and files I will do it in the same folder. Smokey gave me 2 Gb space which will be enough for Squeeze, Wheezy and Porteus-Wheezy This way you will have permanent download location.
I don't feel confused to work on both versions here but if you like to open another thread my offer for uploading on the site stays. Just give the download link there as well.

Not much time for tests today but this is the plan from here:
Better GUI options to setup wallpaper, etc. I count on Sunburnt for this mostly. I learn how to do this now in the process.
We can use desktop-drive-icons for mounting separate partitions but Sunburnt has different idea and I will wait for him. This way desktop-drive-icons is not included. You can unmount separate partition from XFE with right click in the current version BTW.
I will play a little bit more with ICWM-control-panel to see if I can cut down the dependencies.

I also hope this project will be taken to the end with your help. Think of it as a community project because my poor skills are mostly of slimming down debian but as I said I learn in the process to do other things.
Any ideas, impressions and help are welcome.

Do we need to keep the PAE kernel at all?
Frisbee might be not the best but Fredx made it work and it is the only alternative to wicd at the moment. other suggestion are welcome.

Later I will reread your posts to answer if I missed something.

Cheers, Toni

saintless

#280 Post by saintless »

Permanent home for Porteus-Wheezy if Fredx agree:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Porteus-Wheezy/
There is a Readme.txt file with his post with instructions how to use it.
Since it has the same wheezy base and the different is in the boot and save file process and options we can reproduce most of the changes we like in both versions.

First post updated with a link.

Cheers, Toni