Running Chromium-27.0.1421.0 in Racy-5.5

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jrb

Running Chromium-27.0.1421.0 in Racy-5.5

#1 Post by jrb »

Knowing that a few people, including myself, have been frustrated by not being able to run recent Chromiums in Racy or Wary, I have continued to play with the problem. I believe I may have cracked it now.

Initially I tried Oscartalk's Chromium-31 but had no success. Then I tried JamesTheAwesomeDude's Chromium Version 27.0.1421.0. I'm posting from it now. Here's how I did it.

I installed gcc_lib-4.7.3 and glibc-2.17 from Quirky-6.0 and libgconf-2.so.4.1.5, libgcrypt.so.11.7.0, libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0 and libgpg-error.so.0.8.0 from Slacko-14. See below for the unlinked dotpets.

After getting it running I modified /usr/bin/chromium to:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/chromium/chrome-wrapper -user-data-dir=/root/.config/chromium --allow-outdated-plugins "$@"
to get rid of the warnings about flashplayer being out of date.

It also places two entries on the Internet Menu, one of which says "Chromium can't be run as root". The other one works fine. I haven't figured this one out yet.

I haven't tried any of the other Chromium versions out there. Some of the them may work equally well. I'll leave the testing up to all of you eager Chromium fans. 8)

I also haven't tried it in Wary but it should work equally well (where is the crossed fingers Emoticon?) EDIT: I just tried it in Wary-5.5 and I could get it to open after adding dbus but it wouldn't bring back any web pages, just that "Snap" message saying it had failed. :cry:

So far so good, but WARNING!!! :shock: many people feel upgrading glibc is a bad (risky) idea. So back up your pupsave, or start with a new one before you follow this procedure. Anyone who wants to do it differently, Please Do and let us know how it turns out.

Enjoy, J
Attachments
libgpg-error-1.10-1.pet
(6.13 KiB) Downloaded 211 times