Legacy OS the future - Last post of this type...

News, happenings
john biles

Legacy OS the future - Last post of this type...

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Most of you see my past releases as just a rehash of the same old stuff, why doesn't he do what's expected and release new versions of Legacy OS on top of each new Puppy release. I'm sick of this same old crap, I download it time after time only to discover it still won't run on my PC ARRRH!

I like a lot of what he's doing but where's the support for WiFi, Blue Tooth, my new 16:9 Monitor, Touch Screen without this stuff Legacy OS is pretty useless.

Over the last few months I have been working on something but have decided not to release it.

I'm sitting here on a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Dell I picked up for $5 with a 19inch flat screen Monitor. Guess what Legacy OS 2 running Opera 12 runs fantastic. Youtube plays fullscreen better than Ubuntu. I'm also duel booting with Ubuntu 10.04 which runs well but still has bugs after 2 years of updates. Stupid little things that should have been fixed.

What this highlights to me is just how impressive Legacy OS 2 can be on a Pentium 4 compared to a Pentium 3.

Over the years that rehashing of the same old stuff has led to the most stable Linux Distro I've ever used. Currently in use here at home is Fedora 17 (Wife and one Daughter), Ubuntu 11.04 (Wife duel Boot) Ubuntu 12.04 (other Daughter). None of these Distro's come anywhere near the day in day out stability Legacy OS 2 gives.

OK you ask why if Legacy OS 2 is so good don't your family use it!
They do but require Wifi, Blue Tooth etc which Legacy OS 2 doesn't provide and will never ever provide. (This is not Legacy OS's purpose)

Here's what's going to happen.

Legacy OS 2 is the stable core on which release updates will be released in tar.gz format. You will need a copy of Legacy OS 2 installed to use them.

All my fiddling over the last months will be made available in one way or another. The 2.1 update will bring with it Opera 12, improvements in usability, plus updates to some included apps as well as new apps.

Legacy OS 2 repository will see a large number of games added.

My future in the Linux world is to provide support for most not all Pentium 3 & 4 computers nothing else.

Those running Legacy OS 2 won't need to do a full reinstall to update to Legacy OS 2.1 Another advantage is the download file will be a lot less than downloading a 700MB ISO This will give the user flexibility in what they want to install as a lot of the update will be also available separately.

Opera 12 Final is already sitting in the Repository ready for install. Grab a copy now and unzip to / reload the menu is get the improvements available over Opera 10 the default Web Browser for Legacy OS 2.

Living with the OS day in day out I know just how bloody good it is. I thank those who continue to support it and in reality if no one is downloading the updates / new apps I'm supplying that's perfectly fine. I'll make them available just in case.
Attachments
2.0 to 2.1.png
(103.8 KiB) Downloaded 1006 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

I'm sitting here on a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Dell I picked up for $5 with a 19inch flat screen Monitor. Guess what Legacy OS 2 running Opera 12 runs fantastic.
- and I bet it still runs OK on an Athlon750, if there's enough memory!
john biles, you're still singing my song, but there's plenty of guys on this Forum who just can't wait to empty their pockets in those capitalist goons' pockets. Everybody knows you can sail to the Moon and back with 1K of memory, so who wants PAE with 10Gb?! Planning to drive over to Alpha Centauri ? More likely they fail to realise they need a media centre, not a PC for their (illegal?) film and TV downloads? Big photos on massive Gigapixel cameras needing professional editing? Not at all, these days the kiddies are taking their pictures on their mobiles with 3-5Mpxl sensors and even that is overkill for pictures of their mates doing stupid things as they emerge from the local?
Whatever, whatever, carry on doing your thing, john - many of the great rational SW innovations are still coming outa Oz.

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

I completely agree, a lot of hardware improves are negated by lazy software programming. Meaning the user see less of a benefit than might be expected. Although they may have programming tools which are more accessible, which is one positive.

I am currently running on a Pentium 4, when say no wifi does this include USB/PCI wireless?

I'm using a PCI Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller.

Also, what are the equivalent AMD processors to Intel's Pentium 3 and 4?

8)

RSH

#4 Post by RSH »

Hi.

I would like to agree to some content of some posts, especially to this here:
...who just can't wait to empty their pockets in those capitalist goons' pockets. Everybody knows you can sail to the Moon and back with 1K of memory, so who wants PAE with 10Gb?! Planning to drive over to Alpha Centauri ? More likely they fail to realise they need a media centre, not a PC for their (illegal?) film and TV downloads? Big photos on massive Gigapixel cameras needing professional editing? Not at all, these days the kiddies are taking their pictures on their mobiles with 3-5Mpxl sensors and even that is overkill for pictures of their mates doing stupid things as they emerge from the local?
but, just to "give it back":
Never mind.
carry on doing your thing, john
Greetings

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

Pelo

Legacy OS wireless connected on laptop 2012

#5 Post by Pelo »

Legacy OS wireless connected on laptop 2012
Stop believing old puppies won't run on new hardware. It's wrong :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The puppies are leaved as tramps because their owner is tired to be alone to deal with. It's the only reason. The community will care the dog and upgrade what needs to be upgraded.

I only miss the sound. alsa 1.0.22 finds my hda intel sound card, but nothing more.
Somebody can help ?
Attachments
8086-1c20.jpg
(42.62 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
alsaconf.jpg
(58.5 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

Pelo

Racy 5.3 reactivates old puppies, Legacyos included

#6 Post by Pelo »

Only need is the Racy firmware and modules, and the puppy comes back to life, outside, on newest laptops. Without an ethernet leash... :lol:
Happy Christmas everywhere on the earth !

oligin10

Can you post how?

#7 Post by oligin10 »

Hi Pelo, great news. Can you post how you did this? Thanks, Rob

partsman

#8 Post by partsman »

Stop believing old puppies won't run on new hardware. It's wrong Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Well said Pelo :wink:
Older puppies can live on !!!!
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink: