Wimax connection problem (Solved)

poe503

#21 Post by poe503 »

ardvark wrote:Hi Poe...

Give Barry a jingle (PM) at the thread I linked to above, he might know of something or at least the Dev who takes care of your version. :)

Regards...
Sent the message. Cheers.

poe503

#22 Post by poe503 »

Got a short reply from Barry that he is retired. :(

RetroTechGuy

#23 Post by RetroTechGuy »

poe503 wrote:Got a short reply from Barry that he is retired. :(
Shoot rerwin a note... He's doing this at the moment:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

I dropped a note in that thread, let's see if we can get someone who knows this stuff involved... :D
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

greengeek

#24 Post by greengeek »

I wonder if the DNS (nameserver) settings are causing an issue. One looks like your router setting (192....) and the other looks like an external server (64. ....)

Can you contact your ISP and ask if they have two DNS nameservers and try setting your primary and secondary addresses to match those?

The other thing I would suggest (based on the loss of carrier problem shown) is try connecting while your laptop is at different distances from the router. Try 1 meter away, 10 meters away, and 20+ meters away. Also try turning off all cellphones and cordless phones in case there is some RFI interference issue.

bigpup

#25 Post by bigpup »

This is a wired connection to device?

From the info you posted.

Puppy is trying to auto connect to eth0.

Ubuntu is connecting to eth1

Run the Internet connection Wizard.
Specifically select eth1
Make sure to select auto DHCP
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

poe503

#26 Post by poe503 »

bigpup wrote:This is a wired connection to device?

From the info you posted.

Puppy is trying to auto connect to eth0.

Ubuntu is connecting to eth1

Run the Internet connection Wizard.
Specifically select eth1
Make sure to select auto DHCP
It originally was Eth1 until I disabled the onboard lan, now it is Eth0. Doesn't make a difference. It is on auto DHCP.

poe503

#27 Post by poe503 »

greengeek wrote:I wonder if the DNS (nameserver) settings are causing an issue. One looks like your router setting (192....) and the other looks like an external server (64. ....)

Can you contact your ISP and ask if they have two DNS nameservers and try setting your primary and secondary addresses to match those?

The other thing I would suggest (based on the loss of carrier problem shown) is try connecting while your laptop is at different distances from the router. Try 1 meter away, 10 meters away, and 20+ meters away. Also try turning off all cellphones and cordless phones in case there is some RFI interference issue.
Thanks for pointing out the 64.etc ip address I will investigate. The usb device is the "router", at least it looks like one with its own ip address and page. The device stays in the same spot and works fine in Ubuntu and not in Puppy.

poe503

#28 Post by poe503 »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
poe503 wrote:Got a short reply from Barry that he is retired. :(
Shoot rerwin a note... He's doing this at the moment:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

I dropped a note in that thread, let's see if we can get someone who knows this stuff involved... :D
Did it. I'll keep on plugging away. :roll:

poe503

#29 Post by poe503 »

greengeek wrote:I wonder if the DNS (nameserver) settings are causing an issue. One looks like your router setting (192....) and the other looks like an external server (64. ....)

Both Ubuntu and Puppy use 192.168.14.1 as Primary DNS and 64.13.115.12 as Secondary DNS.

greengeek

#30 Post by greengeek »

poe503 wrote: 192.168.14.1 is the ip for the stick and 71.20.10.155 is the ip for Clear network.
How does the stick get this address as it's IP? Isn't this the 'gateway' address? The puppy log suggests that the stick gets an IP of 192.168.14.2 from the gateway on 192.168.14.1 (I'm probably reading the log wrong...).

(Is this stick like a usb modem that has the gateway built in?)

If you connect to 192.168.14.1 do you see the internal webpage of the stick?

How does your laptop get its IP address? Do you have a home wifi router that acts as a DHCP router?

RetroTechGuy

#31 Post by RetroTechGuy »

You just jogged my memory. I once ran into a problem where a device would work at first, and then something would change the nameserver to a non functional location....

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

EDITED SEVERAL TIMES...

This link looks helpful:
http://www.clear.com/support/download/u ... tick-atlas
If I interpret the FAQ answers at the bottom correctly it would seem that the stick is not a USB modem, but uses usb just for power (on Windows this may not be true...).

It sounds as if it has the gateway IP address built into it to enable you to guarantee connection to its internal webpage, and for this purpose it sounds as if it has the ability to emulate a home wifi router which is how your laptop connects through to it. (ie your laptop does not need to talk to it via the usb port...)

Then it has the ability to connect via 3G/4G to wimax for internet access. Does this match with your own understanding of this device?

If this is correct then I would have expected the following to be possible:

1) If you type 192.168.14.1 in your browser you should see the internal webpage of the stick (It would be interesting to see if you could still connect to this internal webpage if your home wifi router was turned off - confirming whether or not the stick uses your internal wifi network for connection to your laptop, or whether it uses its own inbuilt wifi to 'serve' up the internal webpage)

- If you can see the internal webpage you should see options that allow you to 'connect' or 'disconnect' at will. These options should control the wimax connection to the remote server. What happens when you click 'connect'? Do you get any feedback to suggest a successful connection to the server?

2) AFTER you have got a successful connection from the stick to the remote server I would expect you could run the puppy network wizard (I would recommend you use the original, classic, full network wizard not the 'simple network wizard') and you will need to do two steps:
- firstly 'scan' to find the available wireless network being offered to you by the stick, then try to connect to that network.
- secondly you will have to click 'auto DHCP'

At that point I would expect the stick to connect your PC through to the remote server.

If this does not work I would also recommend trying this from a fresh "Live" session of puppy with no savefile - just in case some wifi profile option has been set or corrupted that would affect the connection process.
(In this case you would have to do the following:
- boot live
- run the puppy network wizard to connect puppy to your WIFI router
- plug in the stick and connect to its internal webpage and check that it is connected to wimax server
- run puppy network wizard again and choose the scan option and this time connect to the network provided by the stick

- if it seems that the stick gets its wimax connection without you having to prompt or connect it, you can probably skip the 'connection to internal webpage' step in future - just plug the stick in, allow it some time to settle so that it can 'call home' to the wimax server, then run the puppy wizard and choose the stick network.

(Of course there might be some conflict with puppy not knowing how to resolve the fact that it has two wifi networks to connect to - your home wifi and the stick wifi.
You may be best served by turning off your home router and doing a new live boot to see what happens when puppy only has access to the stick network - does puppy see the stick then? Does it still have the ability to connect to the internal webpage? In my opinion this should work - because this sort of stick should still work if you were sitting in a park hundreds of metres away from your home wifi router.
The wimax stick actually does not like to be anywhere near your home router...).

In my view it should theoretically be possible to do the following:
- turn off home wifi router
- plug the stick into a usb wall power outlet (so no physical connection to laptop at all)
- wait for stick to 'phone home' to wimax, then boot puppy (preferably without a savefile for the purposes of this test...)
- run puppy network wizard, scan for the wifi interface being broadcast by the stick, connect to it, then click 'auto dhcp'

One final thought - the stick may have the ability to operate in two modes:
1) A wifi mode - where it broadcasts its connection via local wifi (as I have described with it plugged into a usb wall charger style outlet). This would be using it like a cellphone style wifi hotspot that derives it's power from your usb port.
2) A usb mode - where it uses the usb connection to emulate a wired ethernet port. (so that puppy thinks it is connected via a wire cable to a router). If this is the case then the question will be how to set up the right sockets and driver for that usb connection. I only have experience with one modem like that (Woosh/IPwireless) and that required use of the Roaring Penguin setup wizard in puppy. It was successful, but I doubt it would apply to this type of stick.

I think the key is to find out if you can see any wifi network offered by the stick when your home router is turned off...

EDIT :The more I read your ubuntu and puppy logs the more I feel my comments above do not apply to this device. I think your stick must be an 'ethernet over usb' device, but different to the Woosh one I referred to. Basically I think it pretends to be a wired ethernet controller, but accessible through the usb port. This brings me back to the thought that the issue is dns related. Maybe after the device grabs an IP address for your laptop you could try pinging the gateway or nameserver it refers to eg: in the example logs you got it gave you IP of 71.20.10.155 and the nameserver was shown as 64.13.115.12. What happens if you ping that nameserver IP address?

(Sorry for the long and winding post - just trying to chuck some ideas in the ring...)
:?

poe503

#33 Post by poe503 »

Thanks for your interest. You can find quite a bit about the Ubee stick in the manual that is available at the address you posted.

I am right now writing and posting this using Ubuntu and the Ubee stick and the data is going through the Clear/Freedom POP network.

The computer treats the Ubee stick as if it is a cable modem or similar device. It has nothing to do with wifi therefore there is no scan for available networks. The only similarity is that the connection is wireless to a wimax tower. The computer sees it as a wired connection.

The 192.168.14 address is for the "configuration page" in the Ubee stick. I can access that page with Puppy. There is only one thing one can configure:

IP Address Mode (which is either) 1- IP Pass-through Mode (default) 2- NAT Mode

There is no connect switch. The Ubee stick powers up and automatically connects to the computer and then to the network. It is only for Freedom POP which uses the Clear network.

There is a diagnostics log in the Ubee stick but it is very lengthy and I won't post any of that now.

Here is the data from the Ubee stick right now:

IP Address :
Realm :
freedompop.com
Gateway :
DNS Server :
DHCP Server :
Data Received :
48736 bytes
Data Sent :
15616 bytes

Connected to FreedomPoP 4G
CINR :
RSSI :
Tx :
BSID :
xxxx
Center Frequency :

Ubuntu shows the connection as Eth1 as I have the onboard LAN enabled on this computer.

Ubuntu shows
IP Address: 71.20.10.155
Broadcast Address: 71.20.63.255
Subnet: 255.255.192.0
Default: 71.20.0.1
Primary DNS : 192.168.14.1
Secondary DNS 64.13.115.12

I am quite busy today but will post similar stats from Puppy later on.

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

Anybody think usb modeswitching would be of some help here?

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

(I seem to recall this being necessary with some other usb modems on puppy...)

poe503

#35 Post by poe503 »

Here is the Ubee stick data when connected to Puppy on the same computer:

IP Address :
Realm :
freedompop.com
Gateway :
DNS Server :
DHCP Server :
Data Received :
10300 bytes
Data Sent :
6835 bytes

Connected to FreedomPoP 4G
CINR :
RSSI :
Tx :
BSID :
xxxx
Center Frequency :

Here is the Network report from Puppy:

Network Interfaces
lo 0.00MiB 0.00MiB 127.0.0.1
eth1 0.65MiB 0.16MiB 71.20.10.155
wlan0 0.00MiB 0.00MiB
eth0 0.00MiB 0.00MiB

IP Connections
Connections
127.0.0.1:631 LISTEN 0.0.0.0:* tcp
0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:* udp

Routing Table
IP routing table
71.20.0.0 / 0.0.0.0 255.255.192.0 U eth1
127.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U lo
192.168.14.0 / 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U eth1

ARP Table
71.20.0.1 xxx eth1
192.168.14.1 xxxx eth1

DNS Servers
Name servers
192.168.14.1 ubeestick.clearwire-wmx.net

Statistics
IP
1467 Total packets received
1 With invalid addresses
0 Incoming packets discarded
0 Incoming packets discarded
1466 Incoming packets delivered
1412 Requests sent out
131 Dropped because of missing route
ICMP
4 ICMP messages received
0 ICMP messages failed
5 ICMP messages sent
0 ICMP messages failed
ICMPMSG
TCP
150 Active connections openings
0 Resets sent
0 Resets sent
0 Resets sent
0 Resets sent
1387 Segments received
1334 Segments send out
0 Resets sent
0 Resets sent
0 Resets sent
UDP
26 Packets received
6 Packets to unknown port received.
0 Packet receive errors
73 Packets sent
UDPLITE
TCPEXT
3 TCP sockets finished time wait in fast timer
707 Packet headers predicted
296 Acknowledgments not containing data payload received
IPEXT

poe503

#36 Post by poe503 »

SOLVED!

Just change the Ubee stick configuration to NAT and leave it at the suggested IP values. Ubee stick will restart and you need to rerun the network wizard and auto DHCP. Done! :D

RetroTechGuy

#37 Post by RetroTechGuy »

poe503 wrote:SOLVED!

Just change the Ubee stick configuration to NAT and leave it at the suggested IP values. Ubee stick will restart and you need to rerun the network wizard and auto DHCP. Done! :D
WooHoo!... :D

Maybe you can do a brief writeup of how to configure this critter (for the next poor soul who runs into a brick wall) :D

poe503

#38 Post by poe503 »

There is only one configuration setting in the Ubee stick configuraton page. You just click the other option (NAT)and click the button to apply the setting.

I read early on that this setting didn't apply to linux so I ignored it. Just now found a suggestion to change that setting to get it to work with linux and voila it worked!

It now works in both Ubuntu and Puppy. Thanks guys for all your input on this situation. :D

ardvark

#39 Post by ardvark »

poe503 wrote:Thanks guys for all your input on this situation. :D
You're welcome, glad you got it fixed! :)

Regards...