How to run Playonlinux in Slacko?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
bongmaster

How to run Playonlinux in Slacko?

#1 Post by bongmaster »

hi im not sure this is in the right place but seems to be the best bet.

I installed playonlinux onto slacko puppy 5.6-4 and when trying to run it it says ' please install python before trying to run playonlinux '

fairly straightforward u'd think.. but python is installed and puppy knows it is since the .py files all have python icons in the file-manager.

checked other threads on same subject 1st, installed wxpython to be safe, still no go.

i have playonlinux in /opt/playonlinux if thats any help, and installed python 3 also from puppy package manager. and playonlinux still thinks its not installed :I

any help would be great

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi bongmaster; ( Interesting screen name... 8) ) Do you have the devx SFS file.?

It is where Python is at. If not, then go get the one for your Slacko Puppy version.

bongmaster

#3 Post by bongmaster »

thanks i'll look that up :)

EDIT: well thats a step further, now its saying it cant be run as root X3. didnt know i was in root. figures. will make a user acct and try there
Last edited by bongmaster on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
*Under Renewal*

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

What is Playonlinux? Is it a game?

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @BongMaster

Your name reminds many of days of college. It also reminds of the many men who have found relief of their prostate issues or others in relief of some ailments, too.

In any event, I ask this as I am NOT a python users. As you suggest, ROX sees python files, but, can you open a terminal an get a python file to execute.

If not, you just might need to install the Slacko56x DEVX sfs so that the system can navigate, find, and run python files.

Hope this helps
P.S. Should you get it working, you "may" wnat to help the rest of us out with a written tutorial of your findings and/or a video; "PlayOnLinux with Puppy". We can then watch "Puppy PlayOnLinux"

bongmaster

#6 Post by bongmaster »

hi :)
i installed the devx sfs as instructed b4, and that has got me a step further, but it wont run since puppy is in administrator (root).
so im looking into finding out to run it under fido ( non root user) once i find out its password X3 (or set a new one)

EDIT: changed password, tried to run it but got a big error thingy up, will post it tomorrow as i need to sleep bad X3

baby-steps it seems..

if successful I'll outline how i got it to work in the 1st post (if i can edit it) ;)
*Under Renewal*

sunburnt

#7 Post by sunburnt »

Next step I`d see if there`s any way to setup PlayOnLinux so it`ll work running as root.

Much simpler than messing around trying to get Puppy to behave differently.

nancy reagan

see the howto section

#8 Post by nancy reagan »

Just the other day somebody placed a howto about playonlinux

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90396

bongmaster

Re: see the howto section

#9 Post by bongmaster »

nancy reagan wrote:Just the other day somebody placed a howto about playonlinux

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90396
awesome :) I'm gonna try this out b4 i go any further X3 meybe on a clean install so i dont have any junk i dont need :x
*Under Renewal*

bongmaster

#10 Post by bongmaster »

EDIT: ok it was my bad, i didnt make the new user folder b4 making the new user acct, i blame lack of sleep :x

irregardless! having fixed that and remade the user acct (with home folder this time) i have the playonlinux gui up and it ddint spew a opengl error at me :)

progressing thru 1st time setup now.... seemed to never finish installing fonts. not sure whats sposed to come after that, but the window hasn't changed, can still use the main gui.

EDIT: Got mspaint installed and working, so that link from nancy reagan seems to be all u need :)

so to recap:

get the .pets from the linked thread from nancy reagan's post)
install them and follow the instructions as u do so in that thread.
Remember to create the home and user folder in home b4 u make the user acct u'll use to run playonlinux <.< .
edit the usr/bin/playonlinux file as stated.
run.
enjoy (hopefully)
*Under Renewal*

sunburnt

#11 Post by sunburnt »

Just realized this is the wrong forum for this.

Oh well... It happens. :oops:

bongmaster

#12 Post by bongmaster »

sunburnt wrote:Just realized this is the wrong forum for this.

Oh well... It happens. :oops:
well i did say i wasn't sure but put it here cos it was slacko related X3
*Under Renewal*

sunburnt

#13 Post by sunburnt »

Qs go in Beginners, Users, and Programming. Not even HowTo ( it`s for tutorials ).

But I`ve made the same mistakes as everyone has. They`re very nice about it here.