Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 08:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 40 of 49 [729 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 14:00    Post subject:  

Mavrothal. I like the idea. I have even had manually created Dpup Exprimo which had a lot firmwares translocated to the /lib/firmware. It was at that b43 firmware loading error time. Before Barry Kauler fixed the problem in some system script.

Is is good intention. Just dont put semi-working stuff to the master branch before someone has tested the testing branch or firmware branch version first.

Otherwise...well....read previous ten posts...you get the idea.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 14:04    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:

Edit. Ooops. I noticed just now that Mavrothal confirmed my suspicion. Thank you of confirmation. Well...I did the practical test anyway. Lol.

Please see if the pet resolves the issue.
If it does (it should) you may want to respin 3.5.2.11 soon Wink

If you rather woof it is also fixed there, but the latest zigbert's additions are currently in the "testing" branch only.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 14:08    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:

Is is good intention. Just dont put semi-working stuff to the master branch before someone has tested the testing branch or firmware branch version first.

I can not argue with that Embarassed
All I can say is that as with your laptop I did not have an issue. But then again my wireless firmware was already in /lib/firmware ...

pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 14:30    Post subject:  

Good thing would be: Placing the firmwares to the standard location would be soon learned and utilized. Hey...I have whole bunch of dvb-tuner firmwares in archive. Just install this pet...extract this tar.gz to the /lib/firmware...and no need to think more.

Puppy style mechanism is...laborious...arduous...troublesome...even painful to maintain.

Updating the /lib/firmware will be easier. There can even be ready made different sets of firmwares. For example b43 needs different sets before - after 3.X and so on.

The problem. Downloading firmwares from the .git. They have all firmwares included, and the kernel you have under work, does not use or need all of them. Brcmfmac is good example. There are newer ones and older ones, and you dont need all of them for spesific kernel.

Just brainstorming. Ignore if you dont like firmwares. Cake tastes better.

But having Tempestuous included it is better that I dont say more...I will soon show my ignorance of the universe....
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 15:06    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:

Puppy style mechanism is...laborious...arduous...troublesome...even painful to maintain.

Updating the /lib/firmware will be easier.

The only valid reason I see for the old firmware installation mechanism to still be in place, is the need for some analog modems that also still need an init.d entry to start at stratup and a desktop entry to manage them.
Ideally every firmware pet could do it on its own if you could download just what you need and install it in your system. But for this you need the network access that the pet will provide. Shocked
So if you include them in the build you need a mechanism to install only what you need in the specific system. Otherwise you end up starting up all the (useless) modem firmware and have a dozen of entries in your network menu.

For all other firmware the kernel and udev manage just fine.
So currently in the "firmware" branch I just move everything to /lib/firmware but the scripts for the modems, and try to hunt down firmware pets to remake them to use /lib/firmware.
If you have a list of firmware pets included in the build(s) will make my life easier as they are all over the place.

BTW, could you (or anybody else) verify that the pet I put up, fixes the problem?

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 15:10    Post subject:  

@Pemasu, et.al.

This is a good find. Now that this is known by several/many of the WOOF/WOOF-CE distro builders, what is the chance that this can be document and presented so that it is followed by those who would build PUPs.

Question
  • Is there a formal process to strive to consistency in system builds?
  • And, can/does the formal process guide exception handling when older/newer firmware needs?

Karl Godt

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 16:05    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:

Hmmm ... I think it is more a LICENSE file issue ..

If the LICENSE-driver file is in it's own "tarball", then this issue would be easier to maintain - theoretically .
Theoretically, since it is no tarball anymore and no-one looks into the expanded tarball ( if the LICENSE file is missing ) .
Terry H

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 17:03    Post subject:  

Satori wrote:
the wireless module 'iwl4965', which is my intel wifi card, was not found and was not on the list of available modules that could be loaded for wifi connections.

Same here on new frugal install.
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 17:15    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Thx for brining this up. Should be fixed in a couple of hours.
Till then please install the attached pet and see if this fixes it.

On my laptop----

- without the fix pet b43 firmware cannot be found / loaded

- with the fix pet the b43 firmware was loaded and established a connection

and Frisbee was installed by pet and worked as expected.

Cheers
peebee

pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 18:18    Post subject:  

Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.11 is out !

Firmware loading failure bug fix release. Read latest couple of pages if you are interested.
Also new .svg icons and handling of them has been updated. Zigbert`s new design.

Otherwise same as previous announcement.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupWheezy/DpupWheezy35211/
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec 2013, 20:08    Post subject: Firmware pet worked in wheezy 3.5.2.10  

Thanks pemasu and especially mavrothal. The firmware pet worked. I'm posting from wheezy (previous version now). But as pemasu has built a new pup, I'll wipe this version and start from scratch. Hopefully, it will also have solved a new problem I've just experienced
Hopeful of a solution, but before the pet was published, I created a SaveFile. Seeing its publication I booted into wheezy 3.5.2.10. Mid-boot, it stopped with instructions to run xorgwizard. That done I reached desktop, installed the pet and --uncertain if just re-starting X would suffice-- rebooted. Again, booting stalled before desktop was reached.

I'll d/l & unpack wheezy 3.5.2.11 and report back.

Edit: Now posting from wheezy 3.5.2.11. I was able to get online without a hitch. However, even though I created a SaveFile and rebooted, booting stopped at line something like "blah, blah, blah apps in /root/xinitrc" then instructions to run xorgwizard. But just typing xwin got to desktop with wireless immediately working.

p.s. downloading ISO took a long time. But that could be that my wife was also online and two floors closer to the router.

mikesLr
koulaxizis

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2013, 10:24    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.11 is out !

Firmware loading failure bug fix release. Read latest couple of pages if you are interested.
Also new .svg icons and handling of them has been updated. Zigbert`s new design.

Otherwise same as previous announcement.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupWheezy/DpupWheezy35211/

Downloading now! Thanks!

I only hope not to have the same weird problem! Confused

[ Puppy packages | Puppy search ]
dejan555

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2013, 12:53    Post subject:  

Hey pemasu, glad that someone still maintains dpup branch, I booted latest woof-CE built iso on fujitsu siemens laptop (celeron 1.86Ghz, 446Mb ram + 512 swap) 1280x768 automatically set , frugal install straight from iso, booted fast, seems to work OK so far, like the first visual impression.
Satori

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2013, 13:24    Post subject:  

Hiyas...

Installed a fresh 3.5.2.11 onto a flash drive and created a fresh savefile, the wifi module
for my intel was now found and was able to connect to the 'net.

However the "dbus" and 'Description' device fields on the wifi connection pages were blanked out.
Does not affect the actual connection tho.

Updating an existing 3.5.2.10, which was updated from a working 3.5.2.8, caused the
'iwl4965' module to be lost and wifi's auto-find failed to find any appropriate driver.

Will now try to find the iwl4965 module files on a working 3.5.2.8 system and try to install
onto a 3.5.2.11 savefile... unless you can tell me where they're usually located.
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2013, 14:01    Post subject:  

Satori. Easiest solution.
Copy below shown firmware to the savefile. I think that updating firmwareless 3.5.2.10 causes problem so...safest bet is to put firmware where Puppy`s firmware translocation system is not needed...ie /lib/firmware.
There is nothing wrong with kernel module...I believe...it is the firmware what the device needs.

You find the firmware from fresh 3.5.2.11. If the update loses it...that is the main problem. And you need replace it to the /lib/firmware.

modinfo iwl4965
filename: /lib/modules/3.5.2-dpup/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlegacy/iwl4965.ko
firmware: iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode

Location to the firmware in 3.5.2.11:
/lib/firmware/iwlegacy/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
Page 40 of 49 [729 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: