Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 12:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Woof at Github
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 14 [210 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2013, 17:03    Post subject:  

To me, this is more of an issue, if you are building a version of Puppy with Woof-CE.
Quote:
but I am not keeping the repo up-to-date with the latest PETs.

If you are getting programs, from this repository, to build a Puppy, wouldn't you want them to be the latest versions?

01micko's test Slacko5.7 is missing some newer versions of Puppy key programs.
These newer versions do have bug fixes.

I know, someone is going to have to be the one to keep the repository updated or is there an automated way to do it?

Last edited by bigpup on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 17:12; edited 1 time in total
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2013, 17:11    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:

If you are getting programs, from this repository, to build a Puppy, wouldn't you want them to be the latest versions?

The thing is, woof-CE doesn't use BK's quirky repository at all. I changed the code as soon as I copied what was needed from BK's repo. Not a problem for woof-CE pups.

If this is a problem for you bigpup, take it up with BK. We are looking to the future, not the past. All slackos are mostly unaffected. In fact, the sooner BK removes them the better it will be for legacy slackos as dependencies which are dragged in from quirky/wary won't be a problem any more. Same goes for Lucid.

EDIT: BTW. I'm the only one with repo access. I can't be everywhere.

Why not make a separate thread and keep things up to date for us if you want to help out. That way I can take a glance there instead of trawling through the noise that is Murga-linux!

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2013, 17:17    Post subject:  

Thanks for the update.

So, you will be keeping the program pets updated in the new repository?

Sorry,
I posted before your edit.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2013, 17:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
Why not make a separate thread and keep things up to date for us if you want to help out. That way I can take a glance there instead of trawling through the noise that is Murga-linux!

I could try and do that, but I too am limited on time.
I can try!

Would there be some way to automate this?

I know the pets are all over the forum.

Maybe a list of specific forum links that would get checked and identified as new version available?

That is how I would try to do it, but I would have to check each one manually.

Not sure how Barry kept up with them?

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2013, 17:40    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:

Not sure how Barry kept up with them?

He didn't!

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2013, 23:51    Post subject:  

entered in error.
Re-posted.

Last edited by bigpup on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 23:56; edited 9 times in total
dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 02:38    Post subject:  

I'd add pupsaveconfig

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60678

pup save hot backup

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49999
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 02:40    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
I am posting this here so I can check the links.

Links to core Puppy programs that have active topics in Puppy forum.
These may have newer versions at any time.

Is this useful?

dancytron wrote:
I'd add...

It does help (a bit). But is practically impossible for 1 or 2 persons (with real life obligations) to do the development, release puppies, keep up with 30-40 treads and mailing lists and test new pets with the current puppy builds. Shocked (BK was retired with out of the home kids and still could not manage...)

I believe the best way (for you or any pet developers) is to get a free github account and just "raise in issue" in woof-CE, issues page.

1) Make sure that the latest version of the said pet/sfs is not in any of the http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-* repos (not if it is just not showing in the PPM of the pupplet that you are using)
2) Go to the woof-CE, issues page and rase an issue. ie "update my.pet from v3 to v4"
3) Mark it as an "enhancement" and provide the link to the relevant post with the updated/new pet.
NOT the link of the thread but the actual download post (clicking on the little icon left to "Posted:" on the upper left of the post will give you the exact link).
4) Would be very helpful to have verified that the said pet works correctly with the latest woof-CE build as things are changing fast these days. If not it may take some time before is included (if ever).
5) Finally would be helpful to indicate if an older version of this pet currently in the repo is depreciated (and should be removed) or which repo would the pet be appropriate for if not already in a repo.
    - Pets that have shell/gtkdialog code are appropriate for Puppy-noarch..
    - Pets with binary code that depends only in libraries found in all Puppies/Linux are good for the Puppy-common.
    - (Real) distro-specific pets that will not work on other pupplets (ie slacko vs dpup) because they use a specific lib version go to the distro pets. Please make sure that you do not put common/noarch-type pets here just because an existing dependency may not be installed by default in a given pupplet. Just add the dependency in the specs file and place it in common/noarch

6) (Not necessary but helpful) provide a patch for the respective "Puppy-packages-..." file in woof-CE/woof-distro/

Please do not suggest pets that may be specific to non-woof puppies/distros (ie Fatdog, Saluki, Macpup etc) unless you have thoroughly tested that work fine with woof-CE pupplets and do not conflict/brake anything else.

So, please get a github account, follow the above guidelines and help so your (preferred) pet is up to date in the repos. Help to actually build puppy CE.

Deacon

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 04:20    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:

So, please get a github account, follow the above guidelines and help so your (preferred) pet is up to date in the repos. Help to actually build puppy CE.

Is it ok for an "I told you so" yet? (I really am going to end up unpopular here aren't I, I feel it)

EDIT: Ok the flashplayer thing, that's a real big thing with the young people and it seems to be a repo mismatch as it can never be found. See, I'm helpful.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 04:56    Post subject:  

Deacon wrote:
mavrothal wrote:

Is it ok for an "I told you so" yet?

No is not, because I have no idea what are you referring to. Embarassed

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 11:42    Post subject:  

mavrothal,

How to keep the Woof-CE program repositories updated.

I understand, most of what you posted, about keeping program pets updated, in the repositories used to build a Puppy, with Woof- CE.

The list of Puppy forum links, to program topics.
All of these program pets are commonly used in every Puppy version. So all of them are actively in use, in most versions of Puppy.
Quote:
Would be very helpful to have verified that the said pet works correctly with the latest woof-CE

That is basically what an alpha or beta version of a new Puppy version is.
Testing all the programs in it.
example:
Slacko testing (for 5.7)
Suppose to be made with the latest Woof-CE.

I agree with all of your statements.
Anyone that developed a program, that is commonly used in Puppy, should be doing these things.
Have fun making that happen.

I could see it working, very well, if the 35 or 40 program developers did what you stated.

No way could one person keep the Woof-CE repositories up to date.
Maybe a quick reference list, to the programs active forum topic, is the best answer to problem.

I, as only a user, would have trouble doing most of what you stated.
We all do this as a part time hobby!

pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:01    Post subject:  

Regarding woof compliant pets. The crucial thing is that if the pet uses pinstall.sh script, it needs to be woof compliant - for the desired effect to happen and for that woofing 3builddistro stage does not fail. 'exit' command at the end of the pinstall.sh script is disaster. It stops 3builddistro collective - cumulative - one and only pinstall.sh script to stop and the rest of the one and only cumulative pinstall.sh operations are not performed.

I usually notice this when woofing. Then I start to hunt that exit command.

Here is an example of one and only - woof 3builddistro created - pinstall.sh. It shows the ways to create woof compliant pinstall.sh. Main thing is to have './' ie current directory execution for woof compliance. Without that the pinstall.sh script is not processed inside rootfs-complete and the desired pinstall.sh effect is lost. Hmm... in good and bad. There are couple of ways how to create that current directory effect. Coders are clever. Cleverer than me.

Coders can say above in better words. I know the practical effect.

When woofing, during 3builddistro stage. You should see this message when the cumulative pinstall.sh has finished:
Quote:
END OF pinstall.sh SCRIPT.
If you did not get 'End of pinstall.sh' message above, then
it aborted before completion. Press ENTER or CTRL-C

If you dont see it, one or more of those about 35 pinstall.sh scripts have been defective and you start to hunt that-those one-ones down by detective skills. How good Holmes you are ? It is great way to spend Sunday.

Here is example how to do pinstall.sh scripts - as cumulative one - as woof processes it. This one is from real life, and it should be ok. Inside that cumulative pinstall.sh is several examples to create woof compliant pinstall.sh script.
pinstall.sh.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  pinstall.sh.tar.gz 
Filesize  8.04 KB 
Downloaded  78 Time(s) 

Last edited by pemasu on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:13; edited 6 times in total
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:01    Post subject: T2 Build sources
Subject description: Wary Racy

Another question is where is the T2 sources going to be located? Also where are the current versions hosted. If I recall the racy wary series are compiled from source.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 13:17    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:

Quote:
Would be very helpful to have verified that the said pet works correctly with the latest woof-CE

That is basically what an alpha or beta version of a new Puppy version is.
Testing all the programs in it.
Exactly. The programs already in the repository!
The new ones or updates of the existing ones?
So what I'm saying is, if you tested a newer version of say pmusic that works fine in the existing slacko 5.6.3 propose it in the issues list for inclusion in 5.6.4.

bigpup wrote:
No way could one person keep the Woof-CE repositories up to date.
My point exactly! Imagine if that person has also to scout 40 threads for new pets or troubles related to them...

bigpup wrote:
I, as only a user, would have trouble doing most of what you stated.
We all do this as a part time hobby!
Actually is exactly what you do now.
Log in a site and write some text with some links about pets that you tried and liked. Just a different site than this forum and a bit more structured so can be helpful to the persons that are doing the heavy lifting.
BTW, why did you remove your post with the pet links after getting to all the trouble to assemble it Confused Shocked

Ted Dog wrote:
Another question is where is the T2 sources going to be located?
This is up to the person that is doing the T2 builds. Currently this is BK and the sources are in bkhome.org/sources.

pemasu wrote:
The crucial thing is that if the pet uses pinstall.sh script, it needs to be woof compliant
Valuable insight.
Do you have a list of misbehaving pets?

Last edited by mavrothal on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 13:31; edited 1 time in total
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 13:25    Post subject:  

No. I dont have a list. But I know whose pets I inspect carefully. Very Happy
I havent been that practical. But...I could try to remember to make a note, now on...

One pet I would like to see woof compliant is that rox right click pet maintained by don570. The pinstall.sh script in it has about 1000 rows, so...I havent started to do that.
Page 10 of 14 [210 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: